Pro tip: Read the comments before commenting on a workout

Options
123457»

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    OP, I can think of one situation where I think I agree with your original post... I have MFP friends who are recovering from EDs. I don't think it's helpful to them when they weigh in reflecting a loss, or they complete a diary entry way under their calorie target, and their friends make "great job!" comments. It does take some effort to know your friends, and to figure out what's appropriate to comment on and how.

Three of my recovering friends have recently deactivated or stopped logging in because they found that using MFP was hindering their recovery. That's not just about FL interaction, not by a long stretch, but occasional reinforcement of the wrong things probably didn't help matters for them.

So I do get where you're coming from - I just think it's a bit cheeky to complain on the boards about people not giving the kind of support you think they should.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    On a slightly serious note to the OP...I preface my response with the statement that I rarely comment on people's calorie burns and never on those "so and so completed their food and was under their calorie goal." That being said when I read my news feed on my phone all I see is the original post. So if it is posted on there "so and so burned 800 calories running 8 mph for 60 minutes" and so and so then makes a comment under it "but I was trying to do 20 miles today and hurt my foot" I may not see that comment. I might just go in and think you had a nice run that morning. I might even comment on it or hit like. Not everyone reads every comment under a post. That might explain some of what is bothering you.

Now to go back to watching Batman!
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Keeping it simple, i'm in for being sincere and actually reading peoples' posts and diary before commenting - from that point on it is a matter of personal opinion whether you think it "rocks" or not. But for the love of Pete, please be sincere enough to actually read it and not just hit "like" or comment like a robot...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely all for eating as much as possible while still maintaining a deficit. I think this is the smartest, most sustainable approach. When I'm 90, I hope I'm still shoving half a pizza in my face, and then running a couple miles to make room for it. I can understand the instinct to "pad" the numbers by underestimating burns and overestimating calories, and if I'm unsure, that's what I do...but I also use a fitness tracker, HRM, and food scale to take as much guesswork out of the equation as possible, so that I can EAT ALL THE THINGS!

I specifically under estimate burns and over estimate food... means less likely mistakes and more guarantee I'm in a deficit.

I do the reverse for bulking. LOL

I don't understand the bolded statement. How does intentionally under/over-estimating reduce the likelihood of mistakes?
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If someone on my list burns 800 calories, I am going to comment on them having a great burn. That's like 17 oreos.

+1
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    "I agree" with 80% of the comments, specifically, I agree that batman is a great addition to this thread.

Good to understant the shrinkage factor of my friend list, I will try to improve!