Veganish lol

Options

Replies

• da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    Eating a vegetarian meal sometimes and a non vegetarian meal other times has a f**king WORD?

I can't. I just can't.

So having a salad as a side to my steak makes me a flexatarian?
    Yes. Yes it does.

AWESOME! i feel like I'm part of the worlds biggest dietary group!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Oh, I started a controversy.

did-i-do-that.jpg?w=780&h=9999&crop=0
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm vegan-ish, paleo-ish, vegetarian-ish, and I try to eat clean-ish most of the time. Oh and I don't eat after 8-ish.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    Eating a vegetarian meal sometimes and a non vegetarian meal other times has a f**king WORD?

I can't. I just can't.
    I had cereal for breakfast and bacon for dinner, so I am flexitarian, right?

Bingo.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    Personally I'm vegan-ish, paleo-ish, vegetarian-ish, and I try to eat clean-ish most of the time. Oh and I don't eat after 8-ish.

So... you're gremlin-ish? Since they don't eat after midnight?
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am attempting to "eat" vegan (I am doing this for my health not necessarily for the critters, I dont plan on giving up on leather shoes, belts, wallets, or leather car seats.) It is HARD HARD HARD (being addicted to processed foods, meat, dairy, etc.) Some days are alot easier than others. Somedays I can eat fruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and a mexi style rice and beans with corn and tomatoes for dinner and all goes well. Other days I find myself fiending for Wendys or a candy bar. I feel great when I stay commited with the diet. I havent been able to give up processed foods 100%. I need my diet Mt Dew or life will crumble lol. So basically I am asking for advice, quick easy recipes (I'm in my 20's and life is busy.) I like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofo yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.) Also wondering about what anyone does when they get a chocolate craving, instead of buying a candy bar like I just did 5 min ago lol. So advice, recipes all welcome.
    Thanks

Well, For one. If your eating fruit for breakfast and fruit for lunch, no wonder you are starving and reaching for candy. YOU NEED MORE FOOD. You need protein.
    Second- you are either vegan or not. (If you are not giving up leather products etc. You are not vegan)
    Third: do research. Google recipes etc. That is what I did when I started eating Paleo 2 years ago.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Yes, but with emphasis on the ish.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    OP. If you feel like eating this way is just too hard then it probably isn't for you. You're doing it for health reasons like you stated but there isn't anything unhealthy about eating whatever you want in moderation and in keeping with your calories & macros. You could still have your wendy's (or even try to make something homemade that is similar to what you are craving from there) and have your chocolate or other treat. Unless you have some sort of health reason for not eating meat then there is no reason to not eat it. If you still want to try getting more veggies in and cutting down on meat consumption for whatever reason then do so, but slowly. You're more likely to stick to something if you don't completely cut out food groups especially if you are getting cravings and feel like you can't eat those items.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Oh cool...I'm a flexitarian then. I was a lacto vegetarian for breakfast (coffee, greek yogurt), but then I became a chicken-atarian for lunch (chopped salad with chicken), and I just became an ovo vegetarian a few minutes ago (hard boiled egg and a kiwi). Don't know what I'm going to be for dinner -- maybe I'll just eat a steak and be a carnivore. But that would mean no vegetables. Poor veggies. :(

Have steak and veggies-- Paleo.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    OP what is giving you the impression that you have to go vegan for your health?
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan for moral/ethical reasons and it is HARD WORK.
    If you don't really really want it, you aren't going to be successful.

In a more positive note, check out ohsheglows.com for awesome vegan recipes.
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com has great desserts for killing those chocolate cravings

Best of luck to you ^__^
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    So what you are doing is called a Plant Based Diet. Veganism is for the critters, and absolutely no leather, yada yada. I also eat Plant Based. I missed the dairy for a bit, but I had been a vegetarian for a long time before, so I didn't miss any meat.
    Check out the "vegan" Amy's dinners and burritos. They are good when you do not have time t cook. They can be pricey, but I find them at our Grocery Outlet for 1/2 price.

Otherwise, beans and rice, tofu (there is an awsome marinated/baked tofu ready to eat) tofu dogs, stir fry, hummus, salads with anything and everything in it. You can make spagetti with chunked up veggies, and add soy cheese if you please. Haha. There are all sorts of sites for recipes, but one that i enjoy most is called Green Planet. They have some really yummy looking dishes. Good luck!

EDIT- Apologies for a repeated post. By the time I typed this out, someone already said what I had to say.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I thought gremlins DID eat after midnight. It's just the pre-gremlins that don't.
  • gbro44
    gbro44 Posts: 13
    Options
    I lift Heavy,

I would say just the additional fiber, zero fat in your diet, no hormones in the meat, etc.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    Oh cool...I'm a flexitarian then. I was a lacto vegetarian for breakfast (coffee, greek yogurt), but then I became a chicken-atarian for lunch (chopped salad with chicken), and I just became an ovo vegetarian a few minutes ago (hard boiled egg and a kiwi). Don't know what I'm going to be for dinner -- maybe I'll just eat a steak and be a carnivore. But that would mean no vegetables. Poor veggies. :(

Have steak and veggies-- Paleo.

Paleo-ish

FIFY
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    You're either vegan or you're not. There's no 'vegan-ish'.

I wanna clear something up here.
    I think most people that say they are vegan aren't really vegan they are close but just because you eat vegan that doesn't make you a vegan. That means you eat a vegan diet, It doesn't make you a vegan. So many people that eat vegan say they are and that just isn't true. You eat that way. So that's veganish or if you would rather not vegan at all. To be a true vegan nothing in your life can affect animals in a negative way. from the shoes on your feet to the carpet fiber you walk on, and that is a difficult way to live but if you don't then you aren't really vegan you just eat that way,so you are veganish.
  • srslybritt
    Options

I thought gremlins DID eat after midnight. It's just the pre-gremlins that don't.

I think you're right. I don't know wtf pre-gremlins are called though.

Pre-gremlin-ish just has too many dashes in it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I lift Heavy,

I would say just the additional fiber, zero fat in your diet, no hormones in the meat, etc.

Zero fat is a very bad idea. There are lots of nutrients that are fat soluble, so even if you eat them your body won't be able to use them.

Why not try just going to eating a lot more fruit/veg, free range organic meat with no hormones, and then still working in some of the foods that you love?
  • srslybritt
    Options
    So now vegans can't walk on carpet that isn't vegan?

Holy moly.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am attempting to "eat" vegan (I am doing this for my health not necessarily for the critters, I dont plan on giving up on leather shoes, belts, wallets, or leather car seats.) It is HARD HARD HARD (being addicted to processed foods, meat, dairy, etc.) Some days are alot easier than others. Somedays I can eat fruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and a mexi style rice and beans with corn and tomatoes for dinner and all goes well. Other days I find myself fiending for Wendys or a candy bar. I feel great when I stay commited with the diet. I havent been able to give up processed foods 100%. I need my diet Mt Dew or life will crumble lol. So basically I am asking for advice, quick easy recipes (I'm in my 20's and life is busy.) I like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofo yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.) Also wondering about what anyone does when they get a chocolate craving, instead of buying a candy bar like I just did 5 min ago lol. So advice, recipes all welcome.
    Thanks

Let's try this again:

Hi! I'm trying to reduce the animal-based foods that I eat. Does anybody have any good, quick and easy vegan recipes? like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofu yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.)

I'm also trying to reduce the number of processed foods. Does anybody have any suggestions for what to do about chocolate cravings?