1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• Cirsium
    Cirsium Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cals. It's not difficult and I lose (at most) 0.5lb per week. Not hungry, not unhappy, just fine thanks. All I needed to do was cut out the booze and the rest comes naturally.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm only gonna agree with the 1200 cal thing. That is lower than MOST people's BMR. You shouldn't be eating under that (unless there is a medical reason). But the 1200 cal and less people aren't going to listen, so no point beating a dead horse, if it is under their BMR, let them ruin their metabolism.. I've been there, done that and movin' on.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Amen!
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I think saying a 1200 calorie diet is starving is a bit of a broad statement. I am only 5'1. I can not eat as much as someone who is 5'10 and lose weight. I do fine eating 1200 calories and my exercise calories.

Exactly this.

I'm about 5'4" and 123lbs (last time I weighed myself was over a week ago so I'm probably less now) so 1,200 calories is perfect for me, and if I eat my exercise calories back I feel like I'm eating plenty.

I do have days where I eat around 1,500 calories or maintenance calories though when I get cravings for "unhealthy" stuff. But overall eating 1,200 the majority of the time is fine for a petite woman.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm allotted about 2000 calories to eat on a daily basis. I weigh over 300 lb. However I eat between 1200-1500 calories though usually more towards the lower end. Do I do it because I feel that if I eat less I'll lose more weight? No. What I eat happens to fall into that range. I'm not ruining myself by eating lower calories. I'm discovering what works for me. I eat a lot of vegetables, meat, and healthy fats right now and every meal I eat keeps me satisfied for hours. Do I feel hungry? Only when I am actually hungry and discovering what ACTUAL hunger feels like (since we live in a world of instant food gratification when you feel even the slightest bit of hunger you can pull into a drivethru) has been educational in discovering more about my body and what it needs and wants. I have yet to have to tell myself I can't eat something because i'm over my calories (A little in the beginning because I was still discovering what works for me).

Do I avoid anything? Not on purpose (For example I don't eat much bread atm because I don't feel a need to and don't miss it, but I did eat pizza a few days ago, so I'm not avoiding it). I don't go out of my way to not eat something but I think about how eating one thing over another would make me feel at that moment (Cause sometimes I just WANT that feeling a good treat can give me and sometimes picking a fruit over candy or sweets wins me over) Sure I could eat treats every night like ice cream or chocolate (I actually have been having a bit of chocolate the last few nights) just because it fits my calories and macros, or because I need it to up my calories, but do I really NEED to? If I want to eat higher calorie items I feel like I should WANT to eat them not just because it gets my calories for the day higher. I feel like, for myself, I've lived a long time with a bad relationship with food and just forcing myself to eat more to get those numbers up is the same bad relationship. I'd rather eat what I want to eat and if that means I eat 1200 calories or 2000, at least I'm listening to my body and figuring out something that will last me for the rest of my life.

I don't understand why people bash others if they eat lower calories. Sure there are some people who will eat a combo meal from a fast food joint and realize that it's almost all of their '1200' calories then not know what to do and starve themselves for the rest of the day (or eat very little items that won't keep them satisfied) and complain about being hungry and fall off whatever plan they are doing. However there are people who make full meals and can eat 3 meals a day (with snacks) on 1200 calories and be perfectly fine and content. Everyone is different. Discover what works for YOU, stop worrying about everyone else. There are no cookie cutter people (minus twins and such!) and there is no cookie cutter way for everyone to eat.
  • AprilJane1522
    Options
    I don't make 1200 cal a day, not once have I managed to do it on this diet.
    I used to make less then 1200 the way I was eating before I started the diet, my weight gain was caused by the days that I would binge eat and try and fit all those missing cals from the week gone.
    I went to see a doctor because I had tried to change my diet before that and I couldn't do it alone.
    By the time I was 18 my metabolism was destroyed and I started gaining weight because of that.
    You cant generalize that 1200 cal thing to everyone. Some people are here for different reasons.
    With the help of the two professionals, who can see everything I'm eating I am slowly becoming healthy again and my metabolism is evening out. Still haven't managed 1200 cals but most days I get close to it where as, at the beginning I was shy of 1200 by nearly 900 every day.
    I have to fight with my brain and body most of the time just to keep the food down because of how I ended up a binge eater.

Try not to generalize so much, I am not starving. I am more nourished and health with more energy then I have had since I was 9 years old.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not necessarily starving yourself.
    From your photo, you look like a muscular guy, so you'd probably starve on that. My guy friends can diet on 2000 a day if they are also exercising.
    But I am a 5'1" woman with a small Asian frame. While I go to the gym, and chase after my kids!, I also have a job that keeps me sitting most of the time.
    I maintain weight at 1500-1600. So to lose even modestly, I have to eat at about 1200.
    One program advised that I go down to 1000 a day - but I can't maintain that.
    If I chose wisely, though, I can eat 1200 during the week and feel reasonably full - and then splurge a bit if I'm going out, or if it's a weekend / holiday.

I wish I could quote this in every thread where people claim that 1200 calories diets are impossible or super unhealthy. I'm 5'3" and small-framed like you, my highest weight was 135 pounds and even then my sedentary TDEE was about 1600-1700 calories.

There is no "one size fits all" calorie level and having a small frame without a ton of extra weight means our BMRs and TDEEs are much, much lower than those of people who are taller, more muscular, larger-framed, or carrying more fat.
  • MOMXW
    MOMXW Posts: 41
    Options
    There is an assumption that it is just 1200 calories. I am on the 1200 calorie plan and I 'buy' calories: I do more excersicse so I can eat more. I usually burn about 300 to 500 calories a day so that means that in actuality I can eat 1500 to 2000 calories. The same thing does not work for everyone and you have to eat to your body type. I know a friend that eats a high fiber mid protien diet and she lost loads of weight but when I did, I gained a lot of weight so I switched to a high protien high fibre diet and I started losing the weight. To dictate a diet plan to anyone is erroneous and as many have pointed out there are a lot of fads in the diet. The simple fact is eat less move more is the basics of a good lifestyle choice and a little of what you fancy means that you can maintain it.
    I am currently trying to get my lifestyle plan sorted and though I have my eating habits sorted, I need to look into a couple of issues I am having aroud the type of excersise I do. As previously mentioned, I burn 300-500 calories a day and do the 1200 plan. A lot of my friends eat 2000 + a day and don't do any excersise and that is down to their motabilism (another thing that has not been taken into consideration by Mr Ranty Pants). Weight loss is trial & error as much as determination and will power. You can not tell me that a 17 stone 5"5 sedentarty woman should be eating the same as a 7 stone 5"5 highly active woman. That is the science fad diets are based on.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Someone earlier said that if a person on their friends list eats less than a certain amount, they comment to them, and then unfriend them if they don't "heed their advice" and continue eating what they deem "too little.". I also have seen people on my FL say the same thing. Frankly, I think that's a piss-poor attitude, and I welcome being unfriended by these people. Even though I usually eat about 1600cal/day, who am I to say what someone else should do or what will work for them? Some days I go over my calories by quite a bit, and am not as hungry the next day, and end up being way under. If someone wants to "unfriend" me because of this, I say go for it. Oddly enough, these are all people that sent me FRs; I never ASKED to be their friend in the first place! *end rant*
  • 303enfield
    303enfield Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)
    this
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm allotted about 2000 calories to eat on a daily basis. I weigh over 300 lb. However I eat between 1200-1500 calories though usually more towards the lower end. Do I do it because I feel that if I eat less I'll lose more weight? No. What I eat happens to fall into that range. I'm not ruining myself by eating lower calories. I'm discovering what works for me. I eat a lot of vegetables, meat, and healthy fats right now and every meal I eat keeps me satisfied for hours. Do I feel hungry? Only when I am actually hungry and discovering what ACTUAL hunger feels like (since we live in a world of instant food gratification when you feel even the slightest bit of hunger you can pull into a drivethru) has been educational in discovering more about my body and what it needs and wants. I have yet to have to tell myself I can't eat something because i'm over my calories (A little in the beginning because I was still discovering what works for me).

Do I avoid anything? Not on purpose (For example I don't eat much bread atm because I don't feel a need to and don't miss it, but I did eat pizza a few days ago, so I'm not avoiding it). I don't go out of my way to not eat something but I think about how eating one thing over another would make me feel at that moment (Cause sometimes I just WANT that feeling a good treat can give me and sometimes picking a fruit over candy or sweets wins me over) Sure I could eat treats every night like ice cream or chocolate (I actually have been having a bit of chocolate the last few nights) just because it fits my calories and macros, or because I need it to up my calories, but do I really NEED to? If I want to eat higher calorie items I feel like I should WANT to eat them not just because it gets my calories for the day higher. I feel like, for myself, I've lived a long time with a bad relationship with food and just forcing myself to eat more to get those numbers up is the same bad relationship. I'd rather eat what I want to eat and if that means I eat 1200 calories or 2000, at least I'm listening to my body and figuring out something that will last me for the rest of my life.

I don't understand why people bash others if they eat lower calories. Sure there are some people who will eat a combo meal from a fast food joint and realize that it's almost all of their '1200' calories then not know what to do and starve themselves for the rest of the day (or eat very little items that won't keep them satisfied) and complain about being hungry and fall off whatever plan they are doing. However there are people who make full meals and can eat 3 meals a day (with snacks) on 1200 calories and be perfectly fine and content. Everyone is different. Discover what works for YOU, stop worrying about everyone else. There are no cookie cutter people (minus twins and such!) and there is no cookie cutter way for everyone to eat.

Frankly most of your post makes sense to me, but why participate on a weight loss HELP forum if the goal is to focus on yourself only and not worry about anyone else? Read the post , if it has nothing for you move on. If you ever decide you want some of the foods that you used to eat, you will remember this post and know that you would still be wildly successful on 2000 calories per day
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I found a better list. (Courtesy of Sidesteel)
    You don't need to eat clean.
    You don't need to avoid white bread or potatoes or beans or rice or _____________ (insert food here) unless you've got an intolerance/allergy/medical condition.
    You don't need to eat breakfast to get your metabolism started.
    You probably don't need to pay any attention to GI.
    Your metabolism doesn't get kick-started and you don't rev it up.
    Eating frequently is fine but it doesn't "boost your metabolism".
    Don't waste your money on Raspberry Keytones and you should probably turn off Dr. Oz.
    You are not toning.
    You will not bulk up, ladies.
    You also don't "gain muscle really easily". Yes, YOU.
    Low carbing is not dangerous.
    Low carbing is not metabolically superior.
    You can eat food before bed.
    You can eat food IN bed.
    There is no specific time at which eating will cause you to gain fat.
    The little pink dumbbells do not constitute "lifting weights".
    That glass of blended up "juice" that you're replacing your meals with, probably isn't "cleansing" any "toxins".
    "Hot Pants" don't make you lose fat, although they may make your wallet lighter.
    You don't need to burn off that bowl of cereal or piece of chicken.
    You don't need to worry about whether you're burning carbs or fat.
    You don't need to worry about how much fat you burned during your workout, or how much muscle you gained during that set of bosu-ball dumbbell flies.
    You don't "shock your body"
    You don't "confuse your mucles"
    Stop switching up your lifting program. How about stick to something and add weight to the bar.
    Just because you saw it in a documentary doesn't mean it's a good idea or even remotely research-based.
    You don't need to zig-zag or carb cycle or do the 17 day butt wash or the cabbage donkey stew diet.
    2 weeks is not a plateau.

Start here:
    1) Eat within a reasonable caloric intake for your goals.
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat.
    3) Consume at least enough carbs to allow you to train with intensity.

(And can you just use some common sense with food selection?)

4) Lift weights
    5) Get rest.
    6) Repeat
    7) And quit worrying about all the other crap.

Be patient.

P.S I don't eat breakfast. Metabolism seems to be just fine. :wink:
    Technically, the first meal of the day, whether at 7 am or 7 pm is "breaking the fast". Therefore, breakfast.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I have been on frozen foods (Lean Cuisine, Banquet and Pizza) for nearly a year now diet and eating hotdogs, spaghetti, sause, ketchup, mustard, miracle whip along the way along with candy kisses (couple a day) for sweets or jolly rancher hard candies (1 or 2 per day if I have a need or want) and ranch style red pepper beans and have lost plenty of weight. Slowly for sure but it still comes off and I get to ENJOY what I eat not eat to lose weight so much as eat what I feel like eating. My doctor keeps saying I can have ANYTHING I want as long as I eat things in MODERATION. That's where most people fail is the moderation part. They can't just eat ONE slice of pizza or 4.5oz of beans. They want the whole pizza and the whole can of beans an expect to lose weight.

There are so many things good out there with low calorie, low fat, low saturated fats and low cholesterol and salt it;s funny. Why people can't find a diet plan that works is they don't stay on them long enough and expect to lose like 5-10lbs a week (some a day lol) It takes TIME for weight to come off if you like eating and certain foods. It's not going to happen in a day sometimes weeks or months you might not lose anything at all.

Recently I gained 7lbs because I started eating wrong and out of moderation. I was consuming chips and dips and whole pizza's and candy and junk foods well over the moderation limit I had established. I paid for it with that 7lb gain. Then I went back to a "balanced" diet of calories, carbs, fat and protein and within a couple of "WEEKS" lost those 7lbs again.

So, you can eat anything you want folks, just learn what "moderation" means. A whole bag of candy is not moderation. lol A whole pizza is not moderation. A whole bag of chips is not moderation in one sitting.

Just because you intake 1200 calories if they aren't balanced with the carbs and fat and protein (like you eat a ton of fat or a ton of carbs doing so (processed carbs) you won't lose weight and you might even gain weight.

Plus, you do NOT need to drink tons of water each day. Sure it helps clean your kidneys out but it's not necessary for weight loss. I don't drink any water and barely a 32oz container of tea or diet coke a day. (Most times just half).

One thing I did notice though is get OFF the whole grains like cereal and breads and anything with whole grain. This stuff was made for cows to eat not us. During that time I had gained 7lbs I had been eating a cup ana half of cereals all supposedly good for you and they might be for other nutritious values, but not for losing weight. I cut those out and of course as I said the weight came off.

I also cut out most of the candy and sweets I had been eating like candy kisses and tootsie pops and jolly ranchers. Again getting rid of the "crappy" carbs is good for you. Eat more FRUIT in place of candy. I went to apples, oranges, grapes, banana's and an occassional alvacado. One thing I found with eating fruit over candy is that the fiber content keeps you feeling full longer.

All this within a 1500mg low sodium requirement also. I'd say that's pretty healthy eating on my part even if you don't like the menu. :)

What?
  • HazeyBlue69
    Options
    New dude arrives and has all the solutions starting with lemon water and low fat dairy?
    In for the lolz.

Lowfat cheese is the saddest thing in the world.
    Give me real cheese.

Goat-cheese-burger-BR.jpg

^ This

Also, low fat yogurt is loaded with sugar. I would rather have the extra protein, calories and fat in standard yogurt than have extra sugar that I could do without.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    What works for you does not work for all. Why is lemon water so important? Lemon in my water disgusts me. I also stick to my 3/meals and maybe 1-2 snacks and it's working for me.

I am not on 1200 calories, but who am I to judge? I don't think 1200 is starving.. depending on what kinds of food you eat.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    What works for you does not work for all. Why is lemon water so important? Lemon in my water disgusts me. I also stick to my 3/meals and maybe 1-2 snacks and it's working for me.

I am not on 1200 calories, but who am I to judge? I don't think 1200 is starving.. depending on what kinds of food you eat.

Did you look at the OP's comment and the date? May want to view the date. Just MHO. :)
  • Jztime
    Jztime Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with those of you who say this...I do not eat "clean"

I have upped my water intake though

Different strokes for different folks

My target calories is about 1,790 but each day I end up with about 500 left over. Not doing this on purpose it just happens.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVQti1F9UjBFPagoQ7CwFayXuceT0jGMA0zLLWOxAtcm6wgTRYjA
  • magnifiquee
    magnifiquee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think saying a 1200 calorie diet is starving is a bit of a broad statement. I am only 5'1. I can not eat as much as someone who is 5'10 and lose weight. I do fine eating 1200 calories and my exercise calories.

me, basically
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Did you look at the OP's comment and the date? May want to view the date. Just MHO. :)

It's too early for numbers dude