Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I hate it when that gets ruined.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It's just one meal, every now and then - why stress over it? Life's too short.

Because it's not. It's one day after a day I already went over, and it's going to be a whole week in 2 weeks.

I eat out every other week or something, so it's not really new to me, but it's always a frustrating experience when we stick to local places. And I know, I don't have to eat the fries, but I don't want to be starving one hour later either, and just one steak is not going to cut it... Same for the people who say that they only eat half... I don't want to be starving two hours later, as I never know how big the meal is going to be when I order it. It's fairly easy to pack 1000 calories in a small plate, lol.

Ok, you've gotten some really good advice here but quite honestly, you're starting to sound a bit whiny.
    It's really not that big a deal. You're making it one though.
    You're afraid of condiments on your sandwiches? Then order it on the side and put it on yourself. A smear of mayo on your turkey sandwich isn't going to kill your calorie count.
    One steak is not going to cut it? Really? You need more than one steak for a meal to be satisfied? When you cook steak at home, do you make two for yourself? Eat veggies with the steak.

And you think that by eating half of an entree is going to cause you to be starving 2 hours later, but yet you acknowledge restaurant portions are huge. Do you not see the contradiction here?
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Because it's not. It's one day after a day I already went over, and it's going to be a whole week in 2 weeks.

I eat out every other week or something, so it's not really new to me, but it's always a frustrating experience when we stick to local places. And I know, I don't have to eat the fries, but I don't want to be starving one hour later either, and just one steak is not going to cut it... Same for the people who say that they only eat half... I don't want to be starving two hours later, as I never know how big the meal is going to be when I order it. It's fairly easy to pack 1000 calories in a small plate, lol.

Who cares!? Just go enjoy your night! over eating for 2 days in a row won't make you gain weight, if you do it for a week straight, yeah you might gain a whole pound!! You've lost 80, you should know how to lose it the week after...
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having a difficult time with this, but it isn't the end of the world.

Ask for condiments/dressings on the side, any restaurant will sub salad/vegetables for fries/potatoes/rice just ask, only eat half the meal and drink lots of water.

Realistically I know I won't be able to avoid eating out for the rest of my life, so I do the best I can and estimate if there's not exact calories available. If I'm worried about being over, I just up the exercise the next day. You've lost a lot of weight so far, a few meals out aren't going to make you gain it all back. Just take a deep breathe and keep on going.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a lot of good advice, which you seem to be ignoring.

Folks have suggested ordering fish, beef or chicken "dry" (no sauce/ butter) and you say you don't like plain foods.

Folks have suggested eating half the meal and/or avoiding fried foods and you complain that you don't want to be hungry an hour later.

Folks have suggested that you don't stress and just enjoy eating out as the special treat it is and you say you eat out a few times a week and couldn't possibly relax. (You may be right there.....)

Life is about making choices and accepting what IS. If you want to eat those fries so you aren't hungry later and continue to eat out 2 times per week and don't want to eat "plain" foods, then I guess you are probably going to gain weight.....or at least not lose any more.

The other option is to make different choices. Start cooking at home more often. Or start asking for simply prepared foods when you eat out (sauce on the side, prepared dry, no fried stuff, etc.), and eat less when you are in a restaurant.

Honestly, it seems to me you are happier complaining about your plight than actually considering ways around your problem.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it seems to me you are happier complaining about your plight than actually considering ways around your problem.

BINGO! :laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole point of eating out was to not have to cook at home for that meal (meaning getting a break) and enjoying the company of the person / people you are with.

My husband and I enjoy going to sit down, have someone else wait on us, bring our food and clear our dishes. It gives us the chance to sit and enjoy each other for a while outside of our home setting.

Who cares if I could have cooked that steak or shrimp, salad, or grilled vegetables at home. I am enjoying some one-on-one time with my man.

We don't eat out often and we opt for grilled meat / seafood, salad and vegetables. We skip dessert, unless it our anniversary in which we share one dessert and find after a couple of bites that we are satisfied.

Get out and enjoy life. No one is promised tomorrow and you should make the most of the time spent with your loved ones.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Easy solution.. let your family go on vacation and enjoy themselves while you stay home so you don't have to worry
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at Applebees

/highhorse
  • LifeWithPie
    Options
    Easy solution.. let your family go on vacation and enjoy themselves while you stay home so you don't have to worry

:drinker:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

I agree. How you have not dealt with this in losing 80 pounds is beyond me. I truly hope that you have developed the skills to be in maintenance. You have to be able to live your life. I'm pretty sure if this is how you have it set up - you will never be happy.

Learn moderation. Learn how to adjust for life and then be happy.
  • hpelly
    hpelly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Easy! Order what ever you fancy, but ask for a kids portion :-)
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If I go out I try to get chicken, steamed veggies with salad (No Salad dressing, just squeeze lemon on but Balsalmic isn't too bad either). If your entree comes with a potato or rice just ask for extra steamed veggies. I pass on the rice, bread, potatoes, and appetizers. Just because you are going out to dinner doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself, just make good choices and you will be okay......just remember "FRENCH FRIES ARE THE DEVIL !!!"
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    grow the F up one night wnt kill you
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    If I go out I try to get chicken, steamed veggies with salad (No Salad dressing, just squeeze lemon on but Balsalmic isn't too bad either). If your entree comes with a potato or rice just ask for extra steamed veggies. I pass on the rice, bread, potatoes, and appetizers. Just because you are going out to dinner doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself, just make good choices and you will be okay......just remember "FRENCH FRIES ARE THE DEVIL !!!"

What is wrong with rice, bread, potatoes and damn french fries are delicious especially if covered in cheese and gravy
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've started this journey on Monday of this week - because I put on 4Kgs.

I've lost .08Kg's according to the bathroom scales this morning (yay!)

I'm going out for a curry and beers with my better half tonight to celebrate getting a promotion so it's all going to go back on :)

I believe that if you don't enjoy the night then it's a waste - so screw the diet / regime for tonight. Enjoy yourself and do damage control later ;)
  • LifeWithPie
    Options

If French fries are the devil, then I worship at the altar of satan almost every time I go out to eat.
    Still lost 39lbs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Who cares!? Just go enjoy your night! over eating for 2 days in a row won't make you gain weight, if you do it for a week straight, yeah you might gain a whole pound!! You've lost 80, you should know how to lose it the week after...

Of course it will. Two days at eating 1400 calories over my TDEE and guess what... it's almost one pound.
    Lol in the past month, i've had 2 10+ course tasting menus, a pop up restaurant lunch ordering 3/4 of the menu and 3 all you can eat and drink events. Somehow I did not become a fat slob despite making no effort to curtail cals at any of them

Good for you, but I can't just have one big meal a day or I get light headed during the day.
    If I know I'm eating out, I usually double my workout to earn more calories.

Me too, but that gives me a whopping 200 more calories :sad:

One steak is not going to cut it? Really? You need more than one steak for a meal to be satisfied? When you cook steak at home, do you make two for yourself? Eat veggies with the steak.

And you think that by eating half of an entree is going to cause you to be starving 2 hours later, but yet you acknowledge restaurant portions are huge. Do you not see the contradiction here?

EXACTLY. I'm talking about places that don't even offer fresh veggies on the side there. Just fries (like that beach restaurant we went to last week). So you end up eating just a steak. Not filling, lol.

And no, some restaurant portions are not huge at all. Or it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is all the extra calories that come in sauces, oil and butter.

Of course I'm complaining. That's why I posted a rant, after all. After 1.5 year of this, I know how to order food (when it's possible) at restaurants. My point is that it's ruined for me because now I don't enjoy eating out anymore because of it. Because having to order everything 'on the side' and eating plain food is nowhere as fun or tasty and I'd be better off eating at home. For *me* eating out was always fun because I loved the FOOD. I like the whole experience too, but I often find myself disappointed when we go out to have fun and I find myself with a menu where all I can eat is a salad... again.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Of course it will. Two days at eating 1400 calories over my TDEE and guess what... it's almost one pound.
    Lol in the past month, i've had 2 10+ course tasting menus, a pop up restaurant lunch ordering 3/4 of the menu and 3 all you can eat and drink events. Somehow I did not become a fat slob despite making no effort to curtail cals at any of them

Good for you, but I can't just have one big meal a day or I get light headed during the day.

EXACTLY. I'm talking about places that don't even offer fresh veggies on the side there. Just fries (like that beach restaurant we went to last week). So you end up eating just a steak. Not filling, lol.

And no, some restaurant portions are not huge at all. Or it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is all the extra calories that come in sauces, oil and butter.

Of course I'm complaining. That's why I posted a rant, after all. After 1.5 year of this, I know how to order food (when it's possible) at restaurants. My point is that it's ruined for me because now I don't enjoy eating out anymore because of it. Because having to order everything 'on the side' and eating plain food is nowhere as fun or tasty and I'd be better off eating at home. For *me* eating out was always fun because I loved the FOOD. I like the whole experience too, but I often find myself disappointed when we go out to have fun and I find myself with a menu where all I can eat is a salad... again.

Please send my sympathies to your family for the loss of enjoyment on what could have been a fun vacation. 1 week will not change anything. Make a choice either go have fun and when you get home get back to it, or don't. But whining and making everyone around you miserable because you are so worried just sounds depressing
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Please send my sympathies to your family for the loss of enjoyment on what could have been a fun vacation. 1 week will not change anything. Make a choice either go have fun and when you get home get back to it, or don't. But whining and making everyone around you miserable because you are so worried just sounds depressing

Who said I would?