Veganish lol

Options
12345679»

Replies

• katemarin23
    Options
    You seem to be requesting help for sugar cravings, something that can happen to anyone, plant-based diet or not, rather than having a "vegan" question. (By the way, if you don't do it for moral reasons and use other animals products, it is not truly considered to be vegan, you are eating a plant-based diet).
    However, if you need to look up good non-animal sources of protein, than a vegan or vegetarian group will be a good source for that).
  • crazyavianlady
    Options
    I like to make chili with beans and add Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) from Bob's Red Mill. Also called TSP, Textured Soy Protein, they are dry little crumbles with lots of protein but no fat. You add them to liquids like chili or spaghetti sauce and they take on the flavor of the sauce, then soften to a texture like hamburger. I've fed my carnivore on this multiple times and he can't tell the difference.
  • crazyavianlady
    Options
    Another suggestion, go to the PCRM website (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) at pcrm.org. They have plant-based recipes and books as well as a vegetarian starter kit. Dr. Barnard has written a book that cites multiple studies showing that a low fat vegan diet is healthier than an animal-product based one. I've been eating that way as well and am down about 30 pounds since last September. It's more difficult when trimming the fats, but it's possible, you just find your favorite foods and eat lots of them. They offer "Fit for Life" classes in many areas; these are low cost (i.e. $20 per set of classes) and generally have a cooking demo.

I'm doing this primarily for health but have to admit that not eating animals is a nice side-benefit. I work with a group that rescues homeless, abused and neglected parrots and I currently have five foster birds right now (3 cockatiels, 1 amazon and 1 blue and gold macaw).

This flavor of vegan diet (note that I'm not saying 'lifestyle') is most popular with people who follow the philosophies of Doctors Barnard, MacDougall, Ornish and there are many others.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat meat, eggs, dairy or consume any animal by product.. You're vegan. Whether or not they wear leather is a moot point. They are not eating the leather.

Even if they do decide to wear leather, it could be vintage or second hand. If someone purchases a leather wallet from a thrift shop they are not putting any money into the leather industry and I see nothing wrong with that. Or faux leather. But what type of fabric someone chooses to wear or use has no bearing on their diet...

Ooh, you're not going to like the responses you're going to get to this post.

Probably not, but it won't ruin my day lol.

I'm not advocating for people wearing leather. I'm just saying that someones clothing style is not a reflection of their diet. A vegan rocking fur and leather might get some strange looks, but it doesn't change the fact they're vegan. The fur could be fake, as could the leather. Or it could be second hand which again... Money is not going into the fur industry or leather industries pocket.

People are too concerned about what other people wear and eat. It doesn't affect your life so move on and worry about your own, lol.

you have no idea what you're talking about, being vegan isn't about just diet. Vegans don't wear leather, we don't wear fur we don't consume, wear, use anything to the best of our ability that exploits animals.

veg·an

/ˈvēgən,ˈvejən/

noun

noun: vegan; plural noun: vegans

a person who does not eat or use animal products.

Sheesh.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's times like these I actually miss VegasaurasRex (sp?) and his wife...(dangit, can't remember her name...and when/if she sees this, she's going to harass me about forgetting her name too. Oh well...I'll think of it in a minute.)
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    aren't we all just earthlings? :P
  • gbro44
    gbro44 Posts: 13
    Options
    WOW Thanks for all the comments everybody... Some of your were nice, some mean. Its all good, no worries. I do appreicate ALL the info. I did just make a new post with the same topic in the same section with entitled; TOPIC: Veganish lol (part 2) Becoming a vegetarian. I added some additional info so that I could get more and better info. Thanks
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat meat, eggs, dairy or consume any animal by product.. You're vegan. Whether or not they wear leather is a moot point. They are not eating the leather.

Even if they do decide to wear leather, it could be vintage or second hand. If someone purchases a leather wallet from a thrift shop they are not putting any money into the leather industry and I see nothing wrong with that. Or faux leather. But what type of fabric someone chooses to wear or use has no bearing on their diet...

Ooh, you're not going to like the responses you're going to get to this post.

Probably not, but it won't ruin my day lol.

I'm not advocating for people wearing leather. I'm just saying that someones clothing style is not a reflection of their diet. A vegan rocking fur and leather might get some strange looks, but it doesn't change the fact they're vegan. The fur could be fake, as could the leather. Or it could be second hand which again... Money is not going into the fur industry or leather industries pocket.

People are too concerned about what other people wear and eat. It doesn't affect your life so move on and worry about your own, lol.

Not trying to be rude here...

No. Just no. No. No. No. No. No.

Not even once. Just no.

I'm sorry but you do not know of what you speak so please don't speak about what a vegan is until you learn what it is. Others have defined what it is.

Vegan IS a lifestyle, it's about more than your diet.
    Vegetarian is just about your diet.
    If you eat any animal you're an omnivore. This is just my opinion but none of this pescatarian, lacto-whataver-vegetarian...why does everything really need a label.

I've been vegetarian 24 years. I know what it would take to be a vegan and I've often contemplated it, but it IS a lifestyle thing and there's some things I can't change or help (driving a car just to name one).

Just my two cents.
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No need to be combative. I was vegetarian for several years, vegan for 2 of those. I led a vegan diet. Not a vegan lifestyle. But please tell me what to think.... Lol.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    WOW Thanks for all the comments everybody... Some of your were nice, some mean. Its all good, no worries. I do appreicate ALL the info. I did just make a new post with the same topic in the same section with entitled; TOPIC: Veganish lol (part 2) Becoming a vegetarian. I added some additional info so that I could get more and better info. Thanks

So all the recommendations about groups to join and how to get support and resources to check out...just ignored?
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am attempting to "eat" vegan (I am doing this for my health not necessarily for the critters, I dont plan on giving up on leather shoes, belts, wallets, or leather car seats.) It is HARD HARD HARD (being addicted to processed foods, meat, dairy, etc.) Some days are alot easier than others. Somedays I can eat fruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and a mexi style rice and beans with corn and tomatoes for dinner and all goes well. Other days I find myself fiending for Wendys or a candy bar. I feel great when I stay commited with the diet. I havent been able to give up processed foods 100%. I need my diet Mt Dew or life will crumble lol. So basically I am asking for advice, quick easy recipes (I'm in my 20's and life is busy.) I like "stir fry" type meals rice,black beans, corn, tomatoes, and hot sauce = mexican; rice, peas, carrots, teriyaki sauce = chinese, ect. I havent tried tofo yet but I will eventually (just have not had time to "hunt" it down at the grocery store.) Also wondering about what anyone does when they get a chocolate craving, instead of buying a candy bar like I just did 5 min ago lol. So advice, recipes all welcome.
    Thanks

I didnt read through the whole bazillion posts.

If you're moving toward healthy vegan (whole foods plant based) McDougall and Engine 2 Diet have recipes and menus on their websites, and Happy Herbivore has a ton of super healthy recipes. Those are good places to start. Also reading books by McDougall, Esselstyn, Campbell, Furhman, etc will help you make educated decisions and give good advice on how to tackle cravings for junk food. Doug Lisle has some youtube videos about that, as well.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So all the recommendations about groups to join and how to get support and resources to check out...just ignored?

You know the rules...if even ONE response is not exactly what OP wants to hear, then "MFP is nothing but meanies/bullies".
  • kikstand
    kikstand Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hate 'haters'. Wait...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

You know the rules...if even ONE response is not exactly what OP wants to hear, then "MFP is nothing but meanies/bullies".

I mean, she appreciated the advice.

And then went on to post another topic in the SAME forum with the SAME title, hoping for different results.

You know the popular definition of insanity?
  • gbro44
    Options

No they did not all get ignored. I have not had the time to look in depth at all the comments yet, but I knew that I should give more info about my plans, goals, motivations etc.
  • gbro44
    Options

I mean, she appreciated the advice.

And then went on to post another topic in the SAME forum with the SAME title, hoping for different results.

You know the popular definition of insanity?

LOL First off, I'm not a SHE, I'm a man, IDK how the hell that became the consensus but that is a great example of why I made the second post " I added some additional info so that I could get more and better info." I was not hoping for different results, or why would I have let everyone in this thread know that??? I just wanted to give eveyone more info about me and my goals so they could better understand where I'm coming from. And yeah its true some ppl are meanies/bullies or whatever. Some ppl are "trolls" that just like to start drama and get the thread of topic, I expected all of that to an extent but I NEVER said MFP is nothing but meanies, because there are alot of great ppl on here and I got a lot of useful information and positive encouraging private messages.