Any young black women looking to get thin?

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Don't judge the OP...........
    its about race because there are different cultural standards of beauty within the black community vs. the white community weight wise, at least. Black women typically are built different than white women.......and all you have to do is look at the latest Rick Ross video to see what the idea of beauty is in the black culture..... and its not Kate Moss.

More than that there is a certain pressure for black women to stay large and then be proud of being large. If you dare to be thin your blasted for trying to conform to 'white' beauty standards. 2/3 of black women in America are overweight and most of them aren't trying to change because that's how we're 'supposed' to be.

Different cultures are different.

Do you feel pressure to be "thicker"?

I absolutely do feel pressure to be "thicker" and have a large *kitten* and be curvacious and all of that..........

Not saying that this is right or ethical,, but its reality, so lets face it. And lets also face the reality that BLACKS were torn from their families for hundreds of years during SLAVERY which was facilitated by WHITES and EUROPEANS and still has effects on the way blacks come together nowadays. Dont try to act like it doesnt happen, history is history, you can't sweep 300 years of slavery that built this country and made it what it is today under the rug...... you simply cannot. Yell at me if you want I dont care.

You just want to watch the world burn, don't you?

No boo, I just live in reality....and the reality is...........that we have a lot further to progress in terms of racism....... it is alive and well, but this thread by the OP has nothing to do with it. She had good intentions of wanting to get to know other black women on the site, THATS ALL. I get so irritated when people want to pull the "reverse racism" card..... ya'll majority should have nothing to say at all because you have every advantage in life that we don't from the time we're born.
    fair enough, but you have a LOT to learn about what women want to look like. You make some pretty ridiculous assumptions about what different goals are.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Every other cultural group sticks together........why should blacks get judged for it?

somebody get me a 10 foot pole so I can not touch that...

I would like to borrow that pole so that I can do the same. Here, have some popcorn.

48L1cDV.gif
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this in the context of being a guy on MFP (I won't pretend to know what it is like to be a racial minority).

If I were to generalize, I think it would be safe to say the majority of users on this site are women. On more than one occasion I've thought to myself that it would be nice to have more male friends on my friends list.

I'm in a couple male specific groups. Its nice to have guys on my FL since they problems they would have are similar to mine in most instances. That doesn't mean I don't like women or wouldn't welcome them, as others have said its just nice to have others you can more easily relate to.

Can't argue with that.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I literally can not stop reading this thread

train-wreck-o.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused.... The women on here arguing for OP and bringing up History... all date/married white people...but still feel pressured to have a big booty? I think I'll exit the door slowly now....

You think marrying a white man means I'm not still subject to standards of beauty for my race? Did I magically become no longer apart of the black community when I said I do? Do the pressures of society stop when a woman gets married?

This doesn't even make sense.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    LOL this thread

Best thread of the day. Srsly.

I love your profile pic!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    How do you explain my attraction to slender white men? I must be a mutant, lol ...

sup?

Hey now, Captain Beefcake, step aside...

...I got this.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    sht.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this in the context of being a guy on MFP (I won't pretend to know what it is like to be a racial minority).

If I were to generalize, I think it would be safe to say the majority of users on this site are women. On more than one occasion I've thought to myself that it would be nice to have more male friends on my friends list.

I'm in a couple male specific groups. Its nice to have guys on my FL since they problems they would have are similar to mine in most instances. That doesn't mean I don't like women or wouldn't welcome them, as others have said its just nice to have others you can more easily relate to.

Reverse Sexism!

Oh wait.

It is fine for women to hang out with women. Fine for men to hang out with men. Fine for a 5'4" apple shaped chick to want other 5'4" apple shaped women to talk to BUT the minute you start talking about wanting to hang out with people the same color as you everyone goes crazy.
  • wnt2bhlthy4me
    wnt2bhlthy4me Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    its about race because there are different cultural standards of beauty within the black community vs. the white community weight wise, at least. Black women typically are built different than white women.......and all you have to do is look at the latest Rick Ross video to see what the idea of beauty is in the black culture..... and its not Kate Moss.

You can't be serious?

I'm one hundred percent serious. THE STANDARDS OF BEAUTY VARY FROM THE WHITE COMMUNITY TO THE BLACK COMMUNITY when it comes to the IDEAL BODY TYPE OF A FEMALE............. its very obvious in our pop culture ARE YOU BLIND? Look at Nicki Minaj, Look at Jennifer Lopez, look at rap music videos......

Maybe you should look in other place besides what's on tv honey? Beauty is everywhere no matter what color you are. And by the way, JLo is not black. The STANDARD of beauty has to do what's inside of every individual, no matter what color you are. I’m sorry whoever made you feel like you have to have a big booty to feel like a standard woman of your color. The point is, this site is about losing weight and all races lose the same way, calories in vs calories out. If any other race would have posted this, it would get the exact reaction.

Well I wish more people as good-hearted as you are would have been around........in America..........Three Hundred years ago..........where Black PEOPLE were considered less than human......and put on par with ANIMALS.

It's not 300 years ago. And it was people of all color who was treated this way. A long, long time ago, a man of an unknown color was done wrong too. But, we have been forgiven. GIRL, don't get me preaching in here.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I just hate that I have to fear getting banned to contribute anything meaningful to this discourse, as I believe some good could be done by here. You seldom get to discuss things like this in venue with so many different viewpoints.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    YUUUP, I smell the making`s of a locked thread! LMAO
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    sht.gif
    In for this gif

This was a horrible welcoming party for the OP.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

You can't be serious?

I'm one hundred percent serious. THE STANDARDS OF BEAUTY VARY FROM THE WHITE COMMUNITY TO THE BLACK COMMUNITY when it comes to the IDEAL BODY TYPE OF A FEMALE............. its very obvious in our pop culture ARE YOU BLIND? Look at Nicki Minaj, Look at Jennifer Lopez, look at rap music videos......
    I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

I think you have no idea what you're talking about either. I don't care what your race is......... you cannot speak for my truth......and from my truth, different cultures have different ideas of beauty........ EVERYWHERE.......and African-American is a sub-culture of America that has beauty standards and ideals of healthy body image dissimilar to those of the White community. PERIOD.
    your truth is fine for YOU, but don't act like you know what mine is.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I just hate that I have to fear getting banned to contribute anything meaningful to this discourse, as I believe some good could be done by here. You seldom get to discuss things like this in venue with so many different viewpoints.

Two strikes huh?
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options

So video vixons are black women idea of beauty???...uh no!!! Maybe yours but not mine. Don't speak for us all please.

Edit cause I can't spell today

Girl bye, don't try to act like "thick" has not been promoted in African-American pop culture........and I'm sorry but pop culture is reflection of SOMEBODY's ideals..... it may not be yours specifically........but it is a general beauty standard nowadays for black women to be "thick"......... or at least that image is CONSTANTLY glorified in BLACK POP CULTURE. Just as in the 1920's, skinny was glorified due to the pop culture of the flappers who started the whole "thin is in trend". Pop culture has always reflected the general expectations/standards of beauty......
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused.... The women on here arguing for OP and bringing up History... all date/married white people...but still feel pressured to have a big booty? I think I'll exit the door slowly now....

For whatever it's worth, that is kind of an interesting little factoid.

Honestly, it probably means nothing...but it's still interesting.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options

More than that there is a certain pressure for black women to stay large and then be proud of being large. If you dare to be thin your blasted for trying to conform to 'white' beauty standards. 2/3 of black women in America are overweight and most of them aren't trying to change because that's how we're 'supposed' to be.

Different cultures are different.

This is so true.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How do you explain my attraction to slender white men? I must be a mutant, lol ...

sup?

Hey now, Captain Beefcake, step aside...

...I got this.

Uhhh, both of y'all are in over your heads
This discussion has been closed.