Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Replies

• them_and_me
    them_and_me Posts: 60 Member
    I love this! It's rational, factual and not a bad read even for a dumb dumb like me ;).

I believe it's incredibly important for those with knowledge to try to prevent the spread of misinformation. Sure, some will plug their fingers in their ears and just keep on trucking. However, a lot of people just need some science to help sort out what they heard because someone posted some stupid meme on their facebook wall...

OP, you must be exhausted, but thank you :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Yes, I believe in vaccines. I am not refuting your "science" or the lack of research that says aspartame is bad (or good). I was sharing my personal beliefs about what I choose to eat and why.

Nobody on MFP can ever win an argument based on "scientific research" because people pick and choose which studies they cite as evidence to support their position. I'm not interested in doing that.

I'm just choosing to avoid as many highly processed foods as possible. Whole foods may be minimally processed, but they are not as processed as a can of diet Pepsi....and they taste better.

I don't really see what saying *I believe it because I believe it* really adds to the narrative or our understanding of the very real and tangible processes underpinning our biology.

To me the only thing artificial here is the artificial line some draw between "processed" or "natural" food as if there is substative meaning to be derived from that rather arbitrary and semantic distinction.

There are "processed" things that unequivocally improve our health and standard of living and there are *natural* things that will outright kill you. We are not served by trying to pigeonhole a complex issue into some sort of makeshift black and white choice.

I mean can you define in a measurable or quatifiable way what distinguishes a "natural" food from a "procesed" food? Can you name a single item in the grocery store that has not undergone "processing" in human hands?
  • Aaron_K123
    So I will bite because I am admittedly curious as to what the response is.

How is a bananna or an apple or rice or an almond or basically anything you can name from the grocery store less "processed" than a can of soda. Is it because the can of soda is in an aluminum can because I'll grant you that, although I guess almonds can also come in aluminum cans.

I mean what criteria are you using here to define what constitutes "processed". Human intervention? Amount of time of human intervention? Number of separate ingredients? What constitutes a "separate ingredient" in a meaningful way? Chemicals? What is the difference between a "natural" chemical and a "processed" chemical? I get the feeling that when I think chemical and when you think chemical we are picturing two completely different concepts.

If we selectively bred cows for millennium to lactate aspartame-milk do you think the future whole-foods crowd would lap it up as nutritious because now its "natural"? Can you think of any "whole food" you'd find in the grocery store today that hasn't undergone millennium of selective breeding?

I just feel that if you really sit down and think about it its pretty clear what an arbitrary distinction you are making between "natural" and "artificial" when you pick something up from a grocery store.
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Aspartame, especially in diet sodas, can have some side effects. I get mouth sores any time I drink a diet soda. A friend of mine gets raging headaches when she drinks anything, including tea or coffee,with aspartame.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aspartame, especially in diet sodas, can have some side effects. I get mouth sores any time I drink a diet soda. A friend of mine gets raging headaches when she drinks anything, including tea or coffee,with aspartame.

I am sorry you get mouth sores and your friend gets headaches but honestly there is a very good reason why the scientific community does not consider personal anecdote as evidence.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Aspartame makes me fart :blushing:
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    bumping for later reading
  • Aaron_K123

Delicious drinks + a renewable source of energy for methane-based lanterns. Sounds win win to me.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member

Delicious drinks + a renewable source of energy for methane-based lanterns. Sounds win win to me.
    :laugh:

Except I take that back. Aspartame doesn't bother me. Splenda makes me fart. I can have have a Diet Dr Pepper totally risk free :drinker:
  • emmy724
    emmy724 Posts: 22 Member
    Aspartame Is Fecal Matter of Genetically Modified E. Coli bacteria. YUM
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Cheese is rotten milk.
  • Aaron_K123

If by "fecal matter" you mean export product then so is insulin.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Alcohol is yeast poop.
  • emmy724
    emmy724 Posts: 22 Member
    I see you all like your blue koolaid just keep drinking it... For the record cheese will not harbor harmful bacteria. Enjoy your Monsanto bacteria.
  • The study you are refering to are two studies conducted by the same lab Soffritti et al 2006 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1964906/ and Soffritti et al 2007 located here for the full article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1964906/

The studies were conducted in rats, specifically Sprague-Dawley rats. This is a rather odd and questionable choice of model organism. Why it is questionable is that really Sprague-Dawley rats are the model organism of choice for studying cancer because they are outbred rats who are known to develop spontaneous tumors 45% of the time. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/33/11/2768.full.pdf

Basically you pick Sprague Dawly rats if you want some rats that are going to develop tumors no matter what. The fact that this groups Sprague-Dawley rats developed tumors is therefore no suprise at all and doesn't mean a thing about what affect aspartame had on them.

So I have to ask why, if these researchers wanted to test if a particular compound was carcinogenic, would they EVER choose to test it in Sprague-Dawley rats...rats known for forming spontaneous tumors due to their genetics. Toxicology testing is routinely done in BALB/c or C57B/6 mice so the use of Sprague-Dawley rats is odd.

Also I have to point out that if aspartame made 40% of those who ingest it break out all over the place in tumors I think we would have noticed by now.

It is one flawed study amongst hundreds of studies that demonstrate no carcinogenic or toxic effects of aspartame and yet it is the one study cited over and over by articles talking about how "toxic" aspartame is. Frankly I doubt those people have ever read the study or know anything about Sprague-Dawley rats.

I understand your question, however the answer is rather simple. The reason a study uses a rat with a predisposition to a disease many times is to see if the substance INCREASES the incidence of the disease or affects the progression in any way. If you use "regular" rats, the incidence of disease is much much lower and the amount of animals necessary is orders of magnitude greater to get a reasonable number of occurrences. It becomes even further multiplied since in many studies you need to observe a similar number of cancers in non-dosed rats to have a statistically significant result. You do not want to pay for a study that would have to include the massive numbers of rats to get the required incidence of cancers in control group and test groups required, it isn't economically feasible. So a rat that gets cancer at a much higher rate is beneficial for this study, just as an Agouti gened mouse (that develops diabetes and over weight stature without methylation) is likely to be used in a study looking at a substance's effect in diabetes and increased BMI or gene methylation.

Those studies DO show that APM/aspartame causes a significant, dose-related increased incidence of cancer.

However, does that mean aspartame is toxic sludge? The truth is somewhere in the middle as always. No its not as bad as the demonizers say, but its also not as innocent as the other extreme (like your opinion seems to be) make it out to be. The fact is, it very likely increases incidence of cancer, but the dose at which it does this is unknown, and you are unlikely to receive the same doseage. However, since your body is fighting cancerous cells ALL THE TIME, and the battle can be tipped one way or another, their IS likely a small percent chance using this substance even at a smaller amount will increase the likelihood of throwing your body over the edge from containment and elimination into growth and spreading of cancerous cells. Probably a small chance, weight your risks accordingly. Even taking international flights may increase your chance of cancer similarly, so the question is, what is it worth to you? I'd suggest to weight your risk, not pretend there is no risk or pretend it will kill you if you eat it a few times. But that's up to you.

For me, foods with aspartame taste crappy and the risk is not worth it at all, even without any additional small risks. I definitely avoid any food with it.
  • Aaron_K123
    I see you all like your blue koolaid just keep drinking it... For the record cheese will not harbor harmful bacteria. Enjoy your Monsanto bacteria.

I think you missed the joke and skipped merrily past into crazy-town.
  • Aaron_K123
    The study you are refering to are two studies conducted by the same lab Soffritti et al 2006 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1964906/ and Soffritti et al 2007 located here for the full article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1964906/

The studies were conducted in rats, specifically Sprague-Dawley rats. This is a rather odd and questionable choice of model organism. Why it is questionable is that really Sprague-Dawley rats are the model organism of choice for studying cancer because they are outbred rats who are known to develop spontaneous tumors 45% of the time. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/33/11/2768.full.pdf

Basically you pick Sprague Dawly rats if you want some rats that are going to develop tumors no matter what. The fact that this groups Sprague-Dawley rats developed tumors is therefore no suprise at all and doesn't mean a thing about what affect aspartame had on them.

So I have to ask why, if these researchers wanted to test if a particular compound was carcinogenic, would they EVER choose to test it in Sprague-Dawley rats...rats known for forming spontaneous tumors due to their genetics. Toxicology testing is routinely done in BALB/c or C57B/6 mice so the use of Sprague-Dawley rats is odd.

Also I have to point out that if aspartame made 40% of those who ingest it break out all over the place in tumors I think we would have noticed by now.

It is one flawed study amongst hundreds of studies that demonstrate no carcinogenic or toxic effects of aspartame and yet it is the one study cited over and over by articles talking about how "toxic" aspartame is. Frankly I doubt those people have ever read the study or know anything about Sprague-Dawley rats.

I understand your question, however the answer is rather simple. The reason a study uses a rat with a predisposition to a disease many times is to see if the substance INCREASES the incidence of the disease or affects the progression in any way. If you use "regular" rats, the incidence of disease is much much lower and the amount of animals necessary is orders of magnitude greater to get a reasonable number of occurrences. It becomes even further multiplied since in many studies you need to observe a similar number of cancers in non-dosed rats to have a statistically significant result. You do not want to pay for a study that would have to include the massive numbers of rats to get the required incidence of cancers in control group and test groups required, it isn't economically feasible. So a rat that gets cancer at a much higher rate is beneficial for this study, just as an Agouti gened mouse (that develops diabetes and over weight stature without methylation) is likely to be used in a study looking at a substance's effect in diabetes and increased BMI or gene methylation.

Those studies DO show that APM/aspartame causes a significant, dose-related increased incidence of cancer.

However, does that mean aspartame is toxic sludge? The truth is somewhere in the middle as always. No its not as bad as the demonizers say, but its also not as innocent as the other extreme (like your opinion seems to be) make it out to be. The fact is, it very likely increases incidence of cancer, but the dose at which it does this is unknown, and you are unlikely to receive the same doseage. However, since your body is fighting cancerous cells ALL THE TIME, and the battle can be tipped one way or another, their IS likely a small percent chance using this substance even at a smaller amount will increase the likelihood of throwing your body over the edge from containment and elimination into growth and spreading of cancerous cells. Probably a small chance, weight your risks accordingly. Even taking international flights may increase your chance of cancer similarly, so the question is, what is it worth to you? I'd suggest to weight your risk, not pretend there is no risk or pretend it will kill you if you eat it a few times. But that's up to you.

For me, foods with aspartame taste crappy and the risk is not worth it at all, even without any additional small risks. I definitely avoid any food with it.

I think you make a valid point about the SD rats, the same point made by richardheath. I do not however recognize the significance of the effect as published in the paper because they fail to demonstrate a dose depenent effect despite testing a very wide concentration and dosage range.

Can you explain why you feel the demonstrated a significant response given the wide ranging and non-dose dependent values the measured?
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    I avoid aspartame for the following reasons:

1. It tastes absolutely disgusting.
    2. It leaves that nasty fake-sweetener aftertaste.
    3. Bloat and other stomach problems that really don't require public airing
    4. Migraine trigger

Now, I am fully aware that my reasons for avoiding artificial sweeteners rely on a study with a fairly small sample...you know...just me; however, while this may not qualify as clinically significant, I find it enough to satisfy me, and thus, I avoid it. And I know...it's anecdotal, but if something makes me feel that poorly, I just don't need science to tell me it is okay for me to consume. I listen to my body. And because it makes me that ill, I don't allow my child to consume it either.

What I fail to understand is why people are being so unkind to those who disagree with the OP, even after he invited them (or us I suppose) to join the discussion.

In reality folks, I think we all know that better than sugar or aspartame, is simply to avoid added sweeteners at all. For example, studies have suggested that those who consume diet soda are at a higher risk for weight gain and obesity than those who consume no soda. So, no soda is better than soda, diet or otherwise. Other studies have suggested that artificial sweeteners lead to metabolic disruptions. My sources, like university studies and respected medical organizations, lead me to believe that evidence is inconclusive at best.

My conclusions: it's bad for me because it makes me sick (I can't speak for everyone in that regard), but undoubtedly, water is better for all of us.
  • Aaron_K123
    I avoid aspartame for the following reasons:

1. It tastes absolutely disgusting.
    2. It leaves that nasty fake-sweetener aftertaste.
    3. Bloat and other stomach problems that really don't require public airing
    4. Migraine trigger

Now, I am fully aware that my reasons for avoiding artificial sweeteners rely on a study with a fairly small sample...you know...just me; however, while this may not qualify as clinically significant, I find it enough to satisfy me, and thus, I avoid it. And I know...it's anecdotal, but if something makes me feel that poorly, I just don't need science to tell me it is okay for me to consume. I listen to my body. And because it makes me that ill, I don't allow my child to consume it either.

What I fail to understand is why people are being so unkind to those who disagree with the OP, even after he invited them (or us I suppose) to join the discussion.

In reality folks, I think we all know that better than sugar or aspartame, is simply to avoid added sweeteners at all. For example, studies have suggested that those who consume diet soda are at a higher risk for weight gain and obesity than those who consume no soda. So, no soda is better than soda, diet or otherwise. Other studies have suggested that artificial sweeteners lead to metabolic disruptions. My sources, like university studies and respected medical organizations, lead me to believe that evidence is inconclusive at best.

My conclusions: it's bad for me because it makes me sick (I can't speak for everyone in that regard), but undoubtedly, water is better for all of us.

Have you read those studies directly yourself or did you read an news story or blog about them. Can you cite them please? Its not good to try to claim authority via rigorous studies without providing your audience the opportunity to read review and evaluate your source material.

The rest is subjective so no comment there.