STOP ATTACKING OP's!!! NOW!

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Except, y'know, sometimes the OP's are WRONG (i.e. need correction). In that case it's good to correct the error and it can HELP them by giving them information. We have freedom of speech. We don't have to shut up if we disagree. Or the OP may be trolling. And yeah, it's immature to be a jerk. But it's also immature to troll. Goes both ways.

And those threads can be fun to read. ;)

Lol it is fun to read.......... all fun and games until your own thread gets attacked...... and then its just like.......... hey hey I'm a nice person don't attack me rawr! meh! hehe

Oddly enough this never happens in my threads.

Wonder why that is

Probably because youre way cooler than me :/ They always want to pick on the little guy.

I was going to say because I generally don't say silly things and don't Percival people who disagree with me as picking on me.

Lies. You Percival the hell out of people.

Wait, what?
    Isn't that a Knight of the Round Table?

DYEHarryPotter?

Percy 'Percival' Weasley?

C'mon kids keep up

ROUND TABLE CAME FIRST.
    (OP only said to be nice to OPs. I'LL TALK IN ALL CAPS TO YOU.)

No one curr about the round table or Arthurian Legend.

Besides, I heard Arthur was really a chick. BlahnlahSaberyadayada

Women can't be Kings.

THEORY DEBUNKED

Bro do you even Fate/Stay? You disappoint me right now, I expected better.

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Saber_(Fate/stay_night)

I'd post pics but I'm in the tub.

ANIME ISN'T REAL.
    KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE WAS REAL!!1!!111!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Hating requires an underlying feeling of jealousy. I'm not really seeing or reading anything to be jealous of.

So...

I want to take this as a perfect example of someone disagreeing with me but doing so in a RESPECTFUL manner. He disagrees but he doesn't have to belittle me, the OP in the process. Kudos. SOMEONE is an adult here

Um...they implied that there is nothing you provide being worth jealousy: ie you posess nothing or provide nothing of value. That is pretry much the definition of belittlement.

I wouldn't recommend holding up that particular post as an example of disagreement without insult.

... and you had to ruin it for everyone.

It's the way that the post was written I suppose, it was written without having to call names, take cheap shots, or just be evil. If its his opinion that I have nothing to be jealous of, then he has a right to that opinion. I'm talking more so about bullying in a different sense I guess. Grr it's hard to communicate this late at night. I'm sleepy!

Its a good thing you're pretty OP. :flowerforyou:

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :flowerforyou:

::facepalm::

*COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH*

HATER!
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of people on here that respond inappropriately to people's questions or concerns. It's one thing to give someone advice or an opinion. It's another thing to give advice with a condescending flair. I see that A LOT on here, usually from people that make it really really obvious (at least to the veteran forum user) they're trying to see if they can get a rise out of the OP. And, once they do, the OP's original concern becomes moot...

For example, saw a guy tell someone to "Be a big girl and make grown up choices" in response to her cry for help/advice. Seriously, you could have said the exact same thing but phrased it appropriately.

In any case, people's responses don't bother me simply because my job revolves around these kinds of things and I see it. Every. Day.
    But for new people, shy, timid or scared people that feel they can more openly ask for help online....To be shut down like that? It's just not cool.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hating requires an underlying feeling of jealousy. I'm not really seeing or reading anything to be jealous of.

So...

I want to take this as a perfect example of someone disagreeing with me but doing so in a RESPECTFUL manner. He disagrees but he doesn't have to belittle me, the OP in the process. Kudos. SOMEONE is an adult here

Um...they implied that there is nothing you provide being worth jealousy: ie you posess nothing or provide nothing of value. That is pretry much the definition of belittlement.

I wouldn't recommend holding up that particular post as an example of disagreement without insult.

It's the way that the post was written I suppose, it was written without having to call names, take cheap shots, or just be evil. If its his opinion that I have nothing to be jealous of, then he has a right to that opinion. I'm talking more so about bullying in a different sense I guess. Grr it's hard to communicate this late at night. I'm sleepy!

Sorry sorry, I will retire my position as pointer of the bleedingly obvious ironic posts
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of people on here that respond inappropriately to people's questions or concerns. It's one thing to give someone advice or an opinion. It's another thing to give advice with a condescending flair. I see that A LOT on here, usually from people that make it really really obvious (at least to the veteran forum user) they're trying to see if they can get a rise out of the OP. And, once they do, the OP's original concern becomes moot...

For example, saw a guy tell someone to "Be a big girl and make grown up choices" in response to her cry for help/advice. Seriously, you could have said the exact same thing but phrased it appropriately.

In any case, people's responses don't bother me simply because my job revolves around these kinds of things and I see it. Every. Day.
    But for new people, shy, timid or scared people that feel they can more openly ask for help online....To be shut down like that? It's just not cool.

I don't think anything is wrong with telling anyone to "Be a big girl and make grown up choices." It is a blunt way of telling them to stop being childish and act responsible.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    You mean. . I'm not a precious snowflake with sage wisdom beyond my years?

Damn. . .
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi im still new to this so I wont comment but I did read a post inhere .....what is trolling?
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the gifs at this point
    h5DACC721
  • lstew57
    lstew57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is my first post and I am surprised to hear that these antics exist in this forum. This is such a good program, I thought it is all about community coming together to achieve weight loss goals. Let's encourage one another - please! I clicked in to find tips on plateauing, not to hear about people throwing shade. That's too bad, and so sad . . .:brokenhearted:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    What I learned from this thread: Fate Zero is apparently a really good anime (as just verified by my eldest child) and I should probably watch it. Thanks OP! I am always on the hunt for a new anime :drinker:
  • sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Gee thanks, OP. You will DEFINITELY change the internet with that little soapbox speech. :huh: Get over yourself.

You need to get off your high horse and get over yourself. You are very arrogant without proper justification.

Well, that wasn't very nice, MissBear. But then, as he wasn't the OP, I suppose your comment was okay?

Invariably in these threads, the OP tends to become ruder than anyone else posting. Yet, they rarely see what they, themselves, are doing.

Yep...was thinking the same thing! ????
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    What I learned from this thread: Fate Zero is apparently a really good anime (as just verified by my eldest child) and I should probably watch it. Thanks OP! I am always on the hunt for a new anime :drinker:

Same here!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

So...

Sorry sorry, I will retire my position as pointer of the bleedingly obvious ironic posts

I'm just.... and... she... and.... stuff.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Except, y'know, sometimes the OP's are WRONG (i.e. need correction). In that case it's good to correct the error and it can HELP them by giving them information. We have freedom of speech. We don't have to shut up if we disagree. Or the OP may be trolling. And yeah, it's immature to be a jerk. But it's also immature to troll. Goes both ways.

And those threads can be fun to read. ;)

Lol it is fun to read.......... all fun and games until your own thread gets attacked...... and then its just like.......... hey hey I'm a nice person don't attack me rawr! meh! hehe

Oddly enough this never happens in my threads.

Wonder why that is

Probably because youre way cooler than me :/ They always want to pick on the little guy.

I was going to say because I generally don't say silly things and don't Percival people who disagree with me as picking on me.

Lies. You Percival the hell out of people.

Wait, what?
    Isn't that a Knight of the Round Table?

DYEHarryPotter?

Percy 'Percival' Weasley?

C'mon kids keep up

ROUND TABLE CAME FIRST.
    (OP only said to be nice to OPs. I'LL TALK IN ALL CAPS TO YOU.)

No one curr about the round table or Arthurian Legend.

Besides, I heard Arthur was really a chick. BlahnlahSaberyadayada

Women can't be Kings.

THEORY DEBUNKED

Bro do you even Fate/Stay? You disappoint me right now, I expected better.

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Saber_(Fate/stay_night)

I'd post pics but I'm in the tub.

Damn it, I've never heard of that. I'm disappointed in me too.

250px-Saber_2.png

You should partake, it's really good (both series)

Saber is totally a dream cosplay for me.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

This quote opens my very favorite movie. Bonus points if you can name it. *Hint* see my avatar for another clue.
  • Achrya
    Options

Yeah! That and then Fate/Stay Night are awesome. Saber brings all the happiness with her beautiful but slightly androgynous self.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    She keeps missing it.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    OP, I like you. You're a little young, a little opinionated, and not really experienced with these forums yet so I'm going to try and actually help out a little bit rather than doing what I normally do on these threads which is gif bomb. You have unfortunately just committed THE cardinal sin of MFP. You have created what is known as a "mean people thread". This thread is very likely to go down in EPIC flames.

Very little of what happens on these forums is genuine meanness. Some of it is spirited debate, even heated disagreement. Some of it is troll baiting (I'm referencing the "beautiful" thread on that one), occasionally it's even people who know each-other poking fun and making a bunch of inside jokes that everyone else thinks is mean but it's really not. But 99% of the time, if you see someone being outright mean, that person is either a troll themselves, or has very good reason to believe the OP is a troll that is intentionally trying to start conflict and is responding in kind.

Or it's an OP throwing a fit because they didn't get the advice they were hoping for.......

Calm down, stick around long enough, and you'll learn to tell the difference. Now this old person is going to stop the condescending lecture and sit back to enjoy the gifs.

Lol thanks, I am actually new to the threads so I only started posting like what........one or two weeks ago not even. I didn't even realize the threads were here until then........ I never really thought much of the community button, but now that I've entered the realm of darkness...I just can't stay off or away. But if my posts provide any type of enjoyable entertainment or pleasure to folks then cheers :drinker:
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I don't think anything is wrong with telling anyone to "Be a big girl and make grown up choices." It is a blunt way of telling them to stop being childish and act responsible.

Thank you for opinion.
    You know another meaning for blunt is insensitive? Most people are capable of being direct without being condescending. In a lot of the cases I'm seeing, on here, and in my job, it really does more harm than good. Just some insight.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Some people do well with tough love - some don't. People don't have time to evaluate the emotional needs of each poster before responding.

I'm an incredibly sensitive person. It's just part of who I am. I've had to actively work to be objective about what people say to me - because it's on ME to interpret the responses - I can choose to read things in a negative or degrading way, or I can choose to recognize that the person is trying to help in their own way. There isn't a sarcasm font, or a tough love font or a I have to poop so I'm rushing this post font.

I've had crappy things said to me on here, and I've lashed out and gotten butthurt - all of that could have been avoided if I had viewed the exchange with a different attitude.

So yes, some people are jerks - but if you (general) are jerks back, you're just as guilty.

And if you're posting about how mean people are, then get mean back you're a guilty hypocrite.
This discussion has been closed.