Childhood Obesity= CHILD ABUSE

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    hF078B0E5

Wait a second? I'm to blame for my fat cat? What do you think I do, hold her down and shove kibble in her mouth?

You know when she got fat? When I took her in, spayed her and forced her into a sedentary indoor lifestyle. Lack of activity kills, but there is no way I could replicate the exercise she got outdoors.

I have had cats most of my life and I disagree with you. My cats were all neutered and most of the time lived in apartments with limited possibilities to be active. However I played with them every day, they had climbing trees and other chances to exercise. None of them were ever overweight , because there is this idea to control weight. The thought is " calories in, calories out ". It means that someone burns more calories than they ingest. You might not believe it, but it works for animals also. My last two normal weight cats died at 19 years and a few month and except for the last two years of their lives were very agile and active. My neighbor also has cats that are usually very overweight and do nothing but sleep and none of them has gotten older than 9 year........I wonder why that is.

I have a 30 pound neutered Maine Coon. He's 17 years old. For years, he got only measured amounts of wet food and kibble. He had no diabetes, thyroid or other hormonal issues. We've been to many different vets and we have no idea why he's so damn fat. We feed him enough food to support a 20 pound cat, which would be his correct weight. It is a high protein kibble/wet food. His weight hasn't budged.

CICO doesn't seem to work for my cat. Suggestions then? I thought it was just that easy.

I have a 21 pound Maine Coon. He has a tree and I try to play with him a little every day. He follows me everywhere I go so sometimes I'll walk up and down the stairs on purpose to get him moving.

So despite not receiving enough calories to support his weight for a number of years, my cat just needs to exercise more? Okay.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    But if your 11 year old child is 300lbs and you don't listen to the help your given, refuse to make changes and don't help them lose a single pound what are social services supposed to do?

At that point it is abuse and taking the child away is the only option unless you want to sentance that child to an early death.

Extreme cases like this are abuse and to say they are not is stupid.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The weakness of your lack of argument shines through every personal attack.

A hamburger obviously CAN be, but since you seem unaware, the landslide majority of hamburger consumption comes from crappy fast food. Goes without saying that I'm not referring to the real deal. At least it should lol.

You wanna talk weak arguments?

You're a non-parent, telling other parents how easy it is to make their kids eat healthy food, when you clearly have a problem doing it just for yourself, much less anyone else, much less a child.

You may not like that it's personal. But I don't like people with no idea what they're talking about lecturing others.

Your argument isn't valid because that guy didn't read it in a book somewhere.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    So despite not receiving enough calories to support his weight for a number of years, my cat just needs to exercise more? Okay.

Well, it certainly is part of the equation. No need to be so snarky about it. Take a deep breathe.

My cats get a controlled diet and minimal treats. I exercise them as much as possible. They are healthy.

Since your cat obviously has special needs, you should probably take this one up with a vet that specializes in this problem.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    9 1/2 is too early to go thru puberty.

Not sure how this judement is helpful in any way. It's not a statement of fact, because I was already menstruating at 9 years old and had clearly gone through puberty.

Edited to fix quotes.

I was not being judgmental, just pointing out that it is very unusual for a girl to have their period at 9. When this does happen, it is usually because of a high body fat % that triggers the hormones for puberty to start. There can be other factors that cause this as well, but if my girls were to show signs of menstruation starting at that young age, I would consult their pediatrician.
    I was also pointing out that early puberty is not the cause of weight gain, rather the weight gain might be the cause of early puberty.
    In most instances, when a girl starts puberty, it comes with a growth spurt in height, and they actually slim down.

I have known a couple of women who did start at that young age, but they were already overweight then, and they went on to become quite Obese later in life. There is definitely a correlation between excessive weight and early puberty.

A quick google search found these links:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20080419072722/http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11307-childhood-obesity-brings-early-puberty-for-girls.html
    http://www.kidsdr.com/your-teen/overweight-girls-start-periods-at-earlier-age
    http://www.webmd.com/children/features/obesity
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

How many kids do you have exactly?

Irrelevant. And a fallacious non-argument.

I'll take that as 0 from you. I will assume the OP is the same...

who cares? This is not a complex concept. Cook decent food for your family and teach your children about portion sizes. Get them involved with sports, and have them play outside. Buy them a bike, basketball hoop, take them hiking, etc. Don't allow them to get into bad habits by eating hoho's and playing xbox and they won't be a bunch of fat *kitten*.

You're right. It's simple.

Make sure you and your family only eats healthy and exercises. Don't smoke, do drugs, or drink. Get straight A's in school so you can go to a good college and get a well paying job. Be kind to everyone you meet. Marry the perfect partner and have a happy, healthy relationship with good communication. Use your loads of free time to volunteer to help others.

It's really so easy. Thank heavens all you perfect, non-parents, are here to show the way to us doddering fools with mouth breathing kids.

/sarcasm Do some of you really not live in the world that you think it's this easy?

Brett, I almost never enter these types of threads, because the "myopia" is too strong and that is time could be spending watching paint dry or something. However, in this case as a non-parent who has worked with children, I'm chiming in to support you and the other parents trying to get through the perfect world fallacies and to reality.

The baseline assumption that children will behave in predictable and linear ways is false. Human behavior and cognition is not linear. We uncover patterns in human behavior through research and study. The path is not simply "introduce factor A and observe behavior B with not other conditioning." If this were the case every parent in this thread would be breaking out the champagne and celebrating having a household free of back talk, sibling rivalry, complaints, anger, sadness, teenaged angst and so forth.

Food is no different than any other stimulus in the real world. Children are exposed to it at home, at school, in the media and can be indirectly influenced by the opinions of others. As young as kindergarten/preschool, children are coming into contact with other people's eating habits, opinions and cultural expectations around food and eating. As soon as children have enough linguistic experience to differentiate positive and negative context in speech they are exposed to outside opinions about food through advertising. Refusing or fixating on particular food are idiosyncratic behaviors that parents may have to spend months or even years trying to correct or work around, because the source of the issue is not always related to immediate family or easy to identify.

If anyone is capable right now of explaining in detail how to account for each child's personality differences and their responses to parental influence and outside stimuli, you need to write the definitive book on parenting. Every parent, teacher, doctor, therapist and park ranger will buy it if it's published. Until that book is available on Amazon, I'm going to keep agreeing with people like Brett. If you do not understand that children are just as capable of idiosyncratic behavior as individuals in any other age group, then your powers of observation are being limited either by choice or lack of adequate exposure the children's environments.

What do you mean!?!?! When I have kids they won't listen to my every.single.word and do exactly as I say. That's crazy. That couldn't possibly be true. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    As a high school teacher I can tell you once they reach middle and high school age (especially when they get to an age they can start working part time) even if its not in the hone they will get whatever food they like elsewhere.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    9 1/2 is too early to go thru puberty.

Not sure how this judement is helpful in any way. It's not a statement of fact, because I was already menstruating at 9 years old and had clearly gone through puberty.

Edited to fix quotes.

I was not being judgmental, just pointing out that it is very unusual for a girl to have their period at 9. When this does happen, it is usually because of a high body fat % that triggers the hormones for puberty to start. There can be other factors that cause this as well, but if my girls were to show signs of menstruation starting at that young age, I would consult their pediatrician.
    I was also pointing out that early puberty is not the cause of weight gain, rather the weight gain might be the cause of early puberty.
    In most instances, when a girl starts puberty, it comes with a growth spurt in height, and they actually slim down.

I have known a couple of women who did start at that young age, but they were already overweight then, and they went on to become quite Obese later in life. There is definitely a correlation between excessive weight and early puberty.

A quick google search found these links:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20080419072722/http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11307-childhood-obesity-brings-early-puberty-for-girls.html
    http://www.kidsdr.com/your-teen/overweight-girls-start-periods-at-earlier-age
    http://www.webmd.com/children/features/obesity
    Idk what they are feeding kids these days, but I'm 36, don't have kids yet, and all the women I know in my age group started their periods between 12-15 including myself.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

How many kids do you have exactly?

Irrelevant. And a fallacious non-argument.

I'll take that as 0 from you. I will assume the OP is the same...

who cares? This is not a complex concept. Cook decent food for your family and teach your children about portion sizes. Get them involved with sports, and have them play outside. Buy them a bike, basketball hoop, take them hiking, etc. Don't allow them to get into bad habits by eating hoho's and playing xbox and they won't be a bunch of fat *kitten*.

You're right. It's simple.

Make sure you and your family only eats healthy and exercises. Don't smoke, do drugs, or drink. Get straight A's in school so you can go to a good college and get a well paying job. Be kind to everyone you meet. Marry the perfect partner and have a happy, healthy relationship with good communication. Use your loads of free time to volunteer to help others.

It's really so easy. Thank heavens all you perfect, non-parents, are here to show the way to us doddering fools with mouth breathing kids.

/sarcasm Do some of you really not live in the world that you think it's this easy?

Brett, I almost never enter these types of threads, because the "myopia" is too strong and that is time could be spending watching paint dry or something. However, in this case as a non-parent who has worked with children, I'm chiming in to support you and the other parents trying to get through the perfect world fallacies and to reality.

The baseline assumption that children will behave in predictable and linear ways is false. Human behavior and cognition is not linear. We uncover patterns in human behavior through research and study. The path is not simply "introduce factor A and observe behavior B with not other conditioning." If this were the case every parent in this thread would be breaking out the champagne and celebrating having a household free of back talk, sibling rivalry, complaints, anger, sadness, teenaged angst and so forth.

Food is no different than any other stimulus in the real world. Children are exposed to it at home, at school, in the media and can be indirectly influenced by the opinions of others. As young as kindergarten/preschool, children are coming into contact with other people's eating habits, opinions and cultural expectations around food and eating. As soon as children have enough linguistic experience to differentiate positive and negative context in speech they are exposed to outside opinions about food through advertising. Refusing or fixating on particular food are idiosyncratic behaviors that parents may have to spend months or even years trying to correct or work around, because the source of the issue is not always related to immediate family or easy to identify.

If anyone is capable right now of explaining in detail how to account for each child's personality differences and their responses to parental influence and outside stimuli, you need to write the definitive book on parenting. Every parent, teacher, doctor, therapist and park ranger will buy it if it's published. Until that book is available on Amazon, I'm going to keep agreeing with people like Brett. If you do not understand that children are just as capable of idiosyncratic behavior as individuals in any other age group, then your powers of observation are being limited either by choice or lack of adequate exposure the children's environments.

This is a really wonderful post with good information.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

What do you mean!?!?! When I have kids they won't listen to my every.single.word and do exactly as I say. That's crazy. That couldn't possibly be true. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Right? And the "TL;DR" text that I agree fully with, trimmed a bit for some others to read without their eyes glazing over.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    This is funny because my oldest, who's 5 (44 inches tall, 51 lb), is skinny as a rail and hardly eats healthy foods if given the choice.
    Her sister who's 4 is chubby (40 inches tall, 48 lb), and does NOT eat sweets or stuff like chips/fries.

Sometimes it's genetics. If anyone said my kids were being abused, the person who said that would then be abused. By me. With a shovel. To the face.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    A few mentioned children that were overweight by bmi but not in reality.....unless the child is an outlier then that child would be over weight. My oldest is 14 hit puberty at 11 and is 5'6' she has been the 97 percentile her whole life and active, she is not rail thin but
    she has never had an overweight bmi. She weighed 115 to 125 lbs (winter vs summer) and has a nice build, likes the gym, running and swimming.....the kid also loves junk and healthy food. I am not saying those that said this are wrong but I do see many in denial of size. Look at the highschool girls now, many of these girls will be showing off their bodies (no they shouldn't but most girls love cute clothes...not talking insecurity issue body showing here) but they are not fit. I went to school in the 90's if the females then were as big as these girls, they would never be strutting around thinking they were a healthy weight. I am for teen girls/boys having a good body image, but not having it based on reality does more harm in the long run.

As a society and trying to be politically correct we have made it accepted to be overweight.....not saying people should be treated differently just that they should at least understand they are not a healthy weight and should work on fixing it. To be blunt and probably a little ignorant towards the topic......I was always smaller and fit....when I hit 179 lbs and a size 12 I was fat, I am still over weight. Seeing high schoolers larger than my largest and this is the norm for body composition saddens me. Being accepting as a society should not be the same as condoning something.

OK shoot me, I know that opinion will not go over well.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I disagree with you on this, but that's just me. I don't think someone should have their kid taken away and put into foster care just because they're fat.

Yup. Things like how fat or skinny a child is just isn't as simple and black and white as it sounds... And ignorance of nutrition and excerise is not a good reason to make an already overwhelmed system that can't get children out in worse situation than "my parents feeds me too much mcdonald's because they don't know any better" even more so.

Does it suck? Sure... But most parents are ignorant of what to feed their kids or they just make up excuses... but it does not equal child abuse in my opinion.

I disagree. Most parents are just plain lazy and find it easier to run through the drive through or put some frozen food like substance in the oven or heat in microwave and then feed this crap to their kids.

It's not ignorance, its laziness.

It only takes a short amount of time to throw some meat and veggies with seasoning in the crock pot before you head out the door to work in the morning and then viola............supper is done when you walk in the door in the evening.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    What the....:huh:
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have not read all 13 pages of this post.

I do NOT think children should be taken away from their parents if they are obese. I do think nutritional counseling is a good idea.

My children eat raw vegetables (I don't look cooked vegetables in most instances), fruit, grilled chicken and fish (although often they put barbeque sauce or steak sauce on it), AND they eat McDonald's, pizza, and sugar cereal. Oh and we had doughnuts for breakfast Sat. They are pretty active, playing outside a lot and we are a big bike family. I'm looking to upgrade both girls to geared mountain bikes this year. And they also watch TV and play some video games. I employ the same "moderation" standards on my children as I use myself.

My horse is only a little high.

+1

I need a like button for this.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've never understood this constant claim that children are picky eaters.

watch your kid literally gag and throw up cause of textures and LMK how it goes for you. My kids get plenty of healthy foods but I'm not gonna cry over letting them have chicken nuggets or pizza once or twice a week.

I know how it went for me when I would act out like that, I'd be done with dinner that night, and can pick up again the next day in the morning with breakfast.

Thing is, the indoctrination started early, so traditional foods like kraut and liverwurst were there from day one, which taught me that the texture and flavor were normal. Although, if I remember correctly, my grandma DID put honey in my sauerkraut, just like she conned me into eating carrots by letting me dip them in a bowl of sugar. (That didn't last long, carrots are sweet enough.)

I realize this sounds like I'm trying to take a piss, but looking at my family and friends, I'm surely not unique. I'm just not sure where it all comes from. How much of what a child is willing to eat is parental education? If a child has had foods with differing textures normalized, then how does pickiness even have a chance of getting hold?

I wondered this when I saw a friend's daughter refuse to eat a piece of cooked shrimp, but was eating some foie gras I made.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If the parent is the OP of a thread you aren't allowed to say anything about their behavior. How do you know none of these parents are thread OPs?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If the parent is the OP of a thread you aren't allowed to say anything about their behavior. How do you know none of these parents are thread OPs?

I've come to the conclusion that the OP is a troll. Between this thread, the OP Rules one, AND the other one about overweight kids she's doing some serious work.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n4xywpwXoB1qfi7p6o1_250.gif
    :laugh:
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    So I read through this thread after I left it back on the first page or so and I must admit I find the general consensus that if you are not a parent you can never offer any thoughts or differing opinions on raising children to be offensive. Every single one of us was a child at some point in our lives (maybe some still are :tongue: ) and have experiences with being raised as children. In addition, many of us have helped to raise children whether being nephews, nieces, cousins, friends' kids, etc. The wife and I do not have children but my wife was her little baby cousin's freaking nanny for the first 3 years of her life. Lived with her Aunt/Uncle and everything.

Just as you are quick to get defensive when someone approaches the realm of critiquing your parenting (or what you perceive as a criticism), don't be so quick to jump on others because they do not have direct children of their own because they just might have experience in this area.

With that said... I agree some kids can be "picky" eaters, but I fail to see how that then translates into feeding the kid poor choices of food. As a kid myself, I didn't even know some foods existed. My family had something to eat on the table and you DID eat it. My dad only had to force feed me something one time. I learned quick to eat what I was told and not to ask why or what. On top of that, you had to finish before my Dad did or you were done and had to clear the table and start dishes.

Lastly, I think a distinction needs to be made between not being given anything to eat, thin, average, chubby, fat, obese, and morbidly obese. And not by what that stupid BMI thing says. When I say that morbid obesity could be child abuse, I mean it. I have a co-worker whose 5' something 13 year old daughter weights over 250lbs. I weight 185 and am standing at 6'2". That is horrible. Abuse? I don't know. She complains about her daughter eating a whole pack of hot dogs as a snack. In between meals. WHAT?!?!? I want to ask "And what did you do? Say? Aren't you supposed to parent her?". But of course, I'm the child-less 31 year old who will get yelled at if I dare to say anything about how she raises her child. Uh huh.
This discussion has been closed.