Going Paleo

Options

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I haven't read every post in this thread, but to answer the OP's original question--pastured or free range is best for 2 reasons: it's better for us and better for the animals.
    1) Animals allowed to walk around and eat grass have a healthier body composition than those in feed lots, which makes their meat and eggs healthier for us. For instance, hens that are pastured lay eggs with 1/3 less cholesterol, more Omega 3s, more vit E, etc.
    2) It's a more humane way to raise animals.

1) The walking around and foraging thing means that the beef will be leaner and also tougher (because the muscles are in use instead of resting). In addition, "feedlot" animals are only finished on grain and corn--they spend all but the last three or so months of their lives on the lots and wander in fields the same as grassfed animals for the majority of their lives.

2) What makes it more humane? Have you seen the news stories about all the animals that died due to exposure last winter? Have you looked at the pictures of sheds that contain "cage free" chickens? Every method of raising animals has its advantages and disadvantages.

Eating is not an ethical act. We eat because we need to live. Being human, we also have the ability to enjoy our food. Imposing ethical rules on the basic act of eating is simply a means of controlling our physical needs to show our command over our own bodies and making ourselves feel special.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    None of the healthiest population in the world follow paleo, actually they eat quite the opposite of paleo.

http://www.nsca.com/uploadedfiles/nsca/inactive_content/program_books/ptc_2013_program_book/aragon.pdf

FTA: Bolded for emphasis
    Dietary Habits of the World’s Healthiest Populations

Dietary Commonalities Among the Blue Zones
    • Largely plant‐based.
    • No over‐eating.
    • Foods are locally or home‐grown & home‐prepared.
    Carbohydrate (largely from starch ) is the predominant macronutrient.
    Beans,including fava,black,soy and lentils,are the cornerstone of most centenarian diets.
    • 3 of the 5 zones are regular coffee consumers.
    • 4of the 5 zones are regular alcohol consumers.
    All 5 zones are regular consumers of grains & legumes.
    • None of the zones follow a Paleo‐type diet
  • SoheilaM777
    SoheilaM777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I have read about Paleo and it makes sense to me so I am going to give a try as well. I, however, am not going to have dairy but I will continue with yoghurt and cottage cheese as they are rich in calcium and I do not have any digestive problem with them. They come from animal and can be made at home! I have been kind of transiting to Paleo in fact I have not had any bread, pasta, rice, beans, ... for the past few weeks even though I loved them. My only issue has been how to have a breakfast replacement as I usually had oatmeal. I cannot eat salty or sweet breakfast! so eggs or left over dinner will not work for me. I am going to give this diet a shot not to lose weight but just to improve my healthy eating. We shall see :))
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    None of the healthiest population in the world follow paleo, actually they eat quite the opposite of paleo.

http://www.nsca.com/uploadedfiles/nsca/inactive_content/program_books/ptc_2013_program_book/aragon.pdf

FTA: Bolded for emphasis
    Dietary Habits of the World’s Healthiest Populations

Dietary Commonalities Among the Blue Zones
    • Largely plant‐based.
    • No over‐eating.
    • Foods are locally or home‐grown & home‐prepared.
    Carbohydrate (largely from starch ) is the predominant macronutrient.
    Beans,including fava,black,soy and lentils,are the cornerstone of most centenarian diets.
    • 3 of the 5 zones are regular coffee consumers.
    • 4of the 5 zones are regular alcohol consumers.
    All 5 zones are regular consumers of grains & legumes.
    • None of the zones follow a Paleo‐type diet

This :drinker:
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    OP, this is what happens when people DARE to eat low-carb in any form on here.

"Paelo" isn't low carb.

I'm pretty sure it's a form of low carb, but you also don't eat dairy. At least that's what I read when I looked it up. Unless I'm mistaken, but I also don't eat that way so it's possible I am mistaken.

Paleo can be low carb but allows for rice, sweet potatoes, and a variety of higher carb fruits and vegetables.
    The last time I looked on the daily apple website, I think I read that white potatoes are now ok.

Many people following Paleo also adhere to the 80/20 guideline so you could include all sorts of grains and high sugar/carb foods into the 20%.

Then you aren't following the Paleo lifestyle.
    That's like saying I eat vegan 80% of the time, but 20 % of the time I eat meat.

Defeats the purpose of calling yourself Paleo.

Oh my god thank you!!

That's something that always makes me nuts. The entire point of this diet is that certain types of foods are eliminated. But people think that's hard, so they eat them anyway.

You aren't doing "80/20". You're making **** up to make it easier for you, regardless of the fact that it negates the effectiveness of the diet you claim to follow. (for accuracy the diet is not really effective because of eliminations, it works because of a calorie defiicit, same as anything else.)

Enjoy your paleo bread.

I agree; was just saying what I have seen the " Paleo" followers post on here.

Based on the guidelines, I think most of us could now consider ourselves Paleo (if we wanted to)
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Mark Sissons thoughts on legumes has changed recently, he still recommends limiting them, but no longer advocates avoiding them all together.

Ah yes the ever changing Paleo diet/lifestyle.

Better to be open to changing your direction when research and studies indicate you should - we're not politicians.

In fact mark sissons ability to challenge his own beliefs is what I like about the diet.

I think that he changes what's allowed in order to keep and attract more people to his website (= more $$$)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Hi I have read about Paleo and it makes sense to me so I am going to give a try as well. I, however, am not going to have dairy but I will continue with yoghurt and cottage cheese as they are rich in calcium and I do not have any digestive problem with them. They come from animal and can be made at home! I have been kind of transiting to Paleo in fact I have not had any bread, pasta, rice, beans, ... for the past few weeks even though I loved them. My only issue has been how to have a breakfast replacement as I usually had oatmeal. I cannot eat salty or sweet breakfast! so eggs or left over dinner will not work for me. I am going to give this diet a shot not to lose weight but just to improve my healthy eating. We shall see :))

Yoghurt *is* dairy.
  • SoheilaM777
    Options
    From what I understood, the Penuts are out because they are not nuts but in reality they are grains. Walnuts on the other hand are nuts. That is what I understood by reading about the Paleo diet. Otherwise many vegetables also have phytic and oxalic acid and yet they are not out!!
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options

1) The walking around and foraging thing means that the beef will be leaner and also tougher (because the muscles are in use instead of resting). In addition, "feedlot" animals are only finished on grain and corn--they spend all but the last three or so months of their lives on the lots and wander in fields the same as grassfed animals for the majority of their lives.

2) What makes it more humane? Have you seen the news stories about all the animals that died due to exposure last winter? Have you looked at the pictures of sheds that contain "cage free" chickens? Every method of raising animals has its advantages and disadvantages.

Eating is not an ethical act. We eat because we need to live. Being human, we also have the ability to enjoy our food. Imposing ethical rules on the basic act of eating is simply a means of controlling our physical needs to show our command over our own bodies and making ourselves feel special.

1. Meat is leaner, but usually no tougher and MUCH more flavorful. Eggs from pastured chickens are much tastier as well--darker yolk, white that makes baked goods rise higher, etc.

2. I raise chickens for eggs so I do know about the various ways to keep livestock. Believe me when I say feedlots and factory farms do not promote the animal's mental or physical welfare. I specified grass-fed not "cage-free", which as you rightly point out, is a term that is being used to make consumers think they are making more humane choices than they actually are.

Eating may not be an ethical act, but the choices we make about what to eat and what food sources to support certainly impact ourselves and the world around us.
  • SoheilaM777
    Options
    I know that yoghurt is dairy, but from what I read the reason dairy is out is because many people do not digest lactose or dairy protein (allergy). I cannot drink milk but I do not have problem with yoghurt (may because the Live bacteria in yoghurt have lactase and that helps me). Anyway, from what I read dairy is not a complete no... as Paleo diet accepts butter (also dairy).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

1. Meat is leaner, but usually no tougher and MUCH more flavorful. Eggs from pastured chickens are much tastier as well--darker yolk, white that makes baked goods rise higher, etc.

2. I raise chickens for eggs so I do know about the various ways to keep livestock. Believe me when I say feedlots and factory farms do not promote the animal's mental or physical welfare. I specified grass-fed not "cage-free", which as you rightly point out, is a term that is being used to make consumers think they are making more humane choices than they actually are.

Eating may not be an ethical act, but the choices we make about what to eat and what food sources to support certainly impact ourselves and the world around us.

My understanding is paleo has nothing to do with the moral issues of how animals are raised...it's about how they are fed...

So if a cow is in a cage and fed grass it's fine for paleo cause it's grass fed...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Mark Sissons thoughts on legumes has changed recently, he still recommends limiting them, but no longer advocates avoiding them all together.

Ah yes the ever changing Paleo diet/lifestyle.

Better to be open to changing your direction when research and studies indicate you should - we're not politicians.

In fact mark sissons ability to challenge his own beliefs is what I like about the diet.

I think that he changes what's allowed in order to keep and attract more people to his website (= more $$$)

Really - he's not doing a great job. I've been following primal for 7 months and haven't spent a single £ or $ with him.

Maybe he should try harder.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Reading a lot of these comments I think most people only have an understanding of primal based on what they have read from other MFP members.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

Please, I've eaten grass-fed beef from free-range cows that I used to have to shoo out of a UKC show site three times a year. It's tough as boot leather. It tastes pretty much the same as ordinary beef. I've also raised my own chickens. The eggs taste about the same. The yolks are a different color, probably because the chickens get more bugs in their diet and are out in the sunshine. Chickens do not eat "grass" as the total of their diet. They are omnivores and eat bugs and worms, too. Some of mine liked to chase mice around and a couple actually tore a snake apart to eat it. Vegetarian chickens are unnatural chickens and are fed that way to appease humaniacs. As a matter of fact, free-range chickens live lives that are filled with risk and are prone to die at the teeth and claws of predators. It's not a "humane" life, either.

Omnivore or not, we all live on death. Some deaths are prettier than others. Some lives are more risk-free and controlled than others. I know I'd rather have a peaceful life with adequate food that I did not need to struggle for, if my life were to be given up to feed someone. Then again, livestock animals don't think about their futures. They just live in the present and know only the comfort of their present lives. It's a shame that people can't leave others to make their choices about what they eat based on their own opinions, rather than shoving the whole "impact" agenda down our throats.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Why is organic "healthier"?

Because they don't use chemicals such as pesticides.

Organic farming uses more pesticide than conventional.

Organic pesticide is derived from natural sources, but that doesn't mean it is better for you. You also need more of it, because it is less effective than synthetic pesticide.
  • klynn2021
    klynn2021 Posts: 7
    Options

Can you provide science that proves the pesticides make it unhealthy?

Not technical science, but a food documentary that I had watched at one point (not sure which it was, possibly forks over knifes?) was very informative about this information. They had said the reason organic was "healthier" was because they use pesticides in non-organic to kill the insects. The reason this needs to be done is because the plants are too weak to thrive on their own due to mineral depletion in the soil, this implies that there is less mineral depletion in the soil used when growing organic foods.

I am not saying that this is true or that I believe it, I have not done a whole lot of research on the topic either. Personally, organic food is way too expensive to fit in my budget so I rarely buy it. I'm sure other research is probably available to prove/disprove this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I know that yoghurt is dairy, but from what I read the reason dairy is out is because many people do not digest lactose or dairy protein (allergy). I cannot drink milk but I do not have problem with yoghurt (may because the Live bacteria in yoghurt have lactase and that helps me). Anyway, from what I read dairy is not a complete no... as Paleo diet accepts butter (also dairy).

I thought dairy was supposed to be out because paleo people didn't milk cows. But I get there's no actual consistency.

I don't see why people keep citing Mark Sisson as some paleo rules maker, as he doesn't even really claim to be paleo, does he?
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Can you provide science that proves the pesticides make it unhealthy?

Not technical science, but a food documentary that I had watched at one point (not sure which it was, possibly forks over knifes?) was very informative about this information. They had said the reason organic was "healthier" was because they use pesticides in non-organic to kill the insects. The reason this needs to be done is because the plants are too weak to thrive on their own due to mineral depletion in the soil, this implies that there is less mineral depletion in the soil used when growing organic foods.

I am not saying that this is true or that I believe it, I have not done a whole lot of research on the topic either. Personally, organic food is way too expensive to fit in my budget so I rarely buy it. I'm sure other research is probably available to prove/disprove this.

A good rule of thumb is to never get your food science from a documentary. All of the ones I have seen/heard about are driven by pseudo-science and feature interviews with known quacks.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I thought dairy was supposed to be out because paleo people didn't milk cows. But I get there's no actual consistency.

I don't see why people keep citing Mark Sisson as some paleo rules maker, as he doesn't even really claim to be paleo, does he?

No one is citing him as a paleo rule maker. He is however the primal rule maker (as the primal diet is his concept).

I think that's where you and others are getting confused.