Are you friendly to others while working out?

Options

Replies

• maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    On the way into the gym or at the water fountain.
    tumblr_mabj80gscl1qasxjlo1_500.gif

During the workout.
    hE10CDDC6

Nothing personal.

This is SO me haha
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    How you feel about interacting with others is a very personal opinion and i get that. As for me, I'm not training for the Olympics nor am i a paid professional so, why so serious??? Smiles and acknowledgements are cool with me. Yeah sometimes it is a bit off-putting if you're in a zone, but no more than someone exchanging pleasantries in the grocery store when i'm focused on shopping. Friendliness or manners is not a situational thing. Knowing that others don't feel this way, I'm very low key friendly - a head nod, fist bump, etc. Engaging in conversation is a completely different topic than OP mentioned. I don't relate to the "leave me alone" mentality i see here from some.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    For me I guess it would depend on how many people were out there. I guess if there were one or two ppl spread out and I came across them it would be easy to just say a quick hi or head nod.

If there were a ton of folks though I guess I'd feel like anonymous amongst a whole populace and likely just handle my business with no niceties. It could get tiring and distracting to say hi to every single person out there if it were a crowded day.

Thank you OP for not saying that stuff you wrote in caps. That would make you look crazy at best, might make someone wanna bust a cap at worst. No one who is out there is out there for your opinion, approval, measuring stick of your own success, or any of the like. Have some respect and just do your thing and smile and say hi if you want but unless you want to say something directly helpful to the task at hand like....that door opens to the left, or those stairs that are being painted will be open next week, the other stuff you said might make someone feel self conscious or otherwise bad or annoyed.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    When I go running, there's a lot of pedestrians and they smile at me, but the thing is I have just ran up a hill or something and I am trying to catch my breath so I can continue.. I don't smile at them because it puts me off focus taking deep breaths.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I live in the Valleys and it's considered extremely rude if someone you come across doesn't give you a nod or smile or an 'Alright' when passing.

Manners cost nothing so wherever I am, however i'm feeling, no matter how puffed out I might be, I nod or smile or say 'Alright'!

Kaela x
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I work out with earphones in so i don't usually get a lot of people talking to me but if someone does try and start a conversation, I'll respond and then the earphones are back in. If I'm not in the middle of a set then I am more than happy to exchange pleasantries and have an in depth conversation, often that's with the gym staff though.

I'll always smile at someone who crosses my line of vision and it doesn't bother me if it doesn't get returned. I'm quite a friendly person once I'm comfortable somewhere.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Myself, I will greet people, but that's about the limit. I'll say "good morning", grunt out a "hi" while running, or sometimes just give a wave and a nod. That's partly because of how I was raised: if you pass by someone or make eye contact, you acknowledge them. You don't need to have a conversation or become fast friends, but you do say hello.

I don't usually try to be encouraging or complimentary for strangers, only because I don't know if it might fall flat. If someone compliments me, I take the compliment graciously, but there are times where their words of praise turn to ashes in my mouth. (e.g. Sure, it's great that I'm jogging for 3 miles and I agree with you that that's a good job in its own merit, but I'm still not doing it fast enough to pass the test that will determine if I keep my job.)

Now, if it's people I do know, then the situation changes and I will compliment or encourage them, usually because we've already discussed their goals and I'll know that, for them, triumph is simply keeping a pace faster than a walk, or lifting a weight of any form. Espeically if they're other miitary members, I'll engage in some good-natured heckling, general compliments, coaching ("Come on! Keep it up!), or even some more aggressive scolding, if appropriate to the situation.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    mostly doing classes zumba, pilates, body toning. I am sociable before the class start and after, no time during the routine. When walking I always do the head nod smile thing to whoever I meet, if they dont look or do the same I really could not care less.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Most of my exercise happens at a local greenway where people of all shapes and sizes walk/jog/run/ride.

To me it seems like we're all working out together so I smile and nod to almost everyone as to say "Good job! Keep it up!"

I don't actually talk to people because I know that sometimes seems creepy or flirty. lol.

BUT what gets me is that some people seem put off by a smile or nod. Mostly people who are still bigger than me.

I just want to say "I USED TO BE BIGGER I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH"...but I don't because then I would seem crazy.

I get the SAME nod or smile from people who are already fit and it gives me encouragement.

I just don't get why some people are put off by people being friendly while working out.

We're all in this together...Aren't we?

It's like when I first started riding motorcycles, I would get the nod or the downward finger wave. Then I got used to is and would expect ti all the time. However some of the Harley guys, usually the new breed don't give me any attention. They don't liek Japanese bikes. But overall, we all usually acknowledge each other.
  • raspberiswrl
    raspberiswrl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to smile, especially if I'm on a trail or greenway, but at the gym, I usually avoid eye contact. If someone were to approach me or smile at me or something, of course I'd be friendly, but at the gym I really try to make use of my time and therefore get really sweaty...not the best time to be social, in my opinion.

It's weird - sometimes I get nasty looks when I wipe down the machines with the disinfectant stuff. :ohwell:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

No.

I'm in this.

You're in this.

WE are not in this. Unless I know you.

That would not surprise me if many people feel the same. That's why I like stuff like tri, there's a definite vibe of WE.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Once when I was on my normal daily walk to the supermarket (this was the 17km round trip) I saw a larger woman running towards me, she was actually going well. I love running so knew how hard it was when bigger. So I smiled, gave a nod and a little clap and mouthed well done. With a smile on my face you could tell it was not a nasty clap or anything. It was supposed to be "I'm proud you are doing it".... instead she got all nasty with her look & gave me the finger.

I've never encouraged anyone again, not even while I am running.

I workout alone, with my headphones on, my sunnies on & ignore the world. The rest of humanity can take a hike when I am outside.
  • 4mricandy
    4mricandy Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What would Scooby do?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Once when I was on my normal daily walk to the supermarket (this was the 17km round trip) I saw a larger woman running towards me, she was actually going well. I love running so knew how hard it was when bigger. So I smiled, gave a nod and a little clap and mouthed well done. With a smile on my face you could tell it was not a nasty clap or anything. It was supposed to be "I'm proud you are doing it".... instead she got all nasty with her look & gave me the finger.

I've never encouraged anyone again, not even while I am running.

I workout alone, with my headphones on, my sunnies on & ignore the world. The rest of humanity can take a hike when I am outside.

26782828-stamp-truth-with-red-text-over-white-background.jpg
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's not personal, some of us want to be left alone. I don't think it's about being bigger or smaller, it's about getting the job done.

Keep doing what you're doing because you want to, not because you want the same in return.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

No, we're not.

I'm not a touchy-feely person. I don't like to be touched by strangers. I hate emotional movies. I think the paintings of Thomas Kinkade are awful and trite. Being cheered on by a complete stranger is totally off-putting to me. If I know you then sure, let's talk about how awesome running and lifting are. Let's huddle around the campfire and braid hair and make s'mores. But if I've never seen you before the most you can expect from me is a smile and nod.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think the paintings of Thomas Kinkade are awful and trite.
    God- I thought I was the only one!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I workout at home so I don't have to deal with other people
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    On the way into the gym or at the water fountain.
    tumblr_mabj80gscl1qasxjlo1_500.gif

During the workout.
    hE10CDDC6

Nothing personal.

I'm new at the gym and thought everyone was stuck up but thanks to this post I totally get it now!! Lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think the paintings of Thomas Kinkade are awful and trite.
    God- I thought I was the only one!

:laugh:

The worst part is that I'm an artist. So for a very long time everyone who met me said "Oh you're an artist? I love Thomas Kinkade!" :indifferent: