Are you friendly to others while working out?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am generally always friendly and polite.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Nobody seemed to pay attention to : I don't talk to people. Lol.
    AND I don't go to a gym.

BUT if I am riding past someone and they are riding/running past me it seems rude to not nod or smile.

Maybe its just me.

SO...if someone smiles at you or nods you don't have to do the same back but you also don't have to give them a rude look.

Maybe it is just the south. lol. We wave at anyone who passes the house if we are outside. (Hand gesture of acknowledgement, not a full on wave."

Well, I think you need to just do what you do and not judge others, let no acknowledgement slide off your back, it doesn't mean they are a jerk. Yes outside is different than in a gym, but, still similar reasons.

Maybe they are focused, or they are thinking of something/lost in thought and acknowledging you would disrupt the concentration/break the chain of thought.

Maybe they are not very socially adept and they try to be friendly, but react based on what reactions they get and the last girls he smiled at, one looked at him strangely for smiling at her and maybe assumed he was coming on to her and the next one started talking to him even though he had headphones in and wouldn't quit talking so he's decided to say "screw being social" on this hike...you would be one of the next ones I passed and ignored...

But I usually start out friendly outside, until someone makes me feel like an idiot for smiling at them, looks at me funny for it, or I get lost in thought or the lecture I'm listening to on my headphones.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

^this. Obviously, I'm not going to talk to everyone if the gym is crowded or the trail is crowded. But if it's me and I'm all alone and some guy runs by, sure I nod and say hello. 90% of the time the other person says hello first or back. Sometimes they say "whhooo! It's hot today!"

In the gym, I don't generally initiate conversation, but I smile at regulars, generally say hello and am cheerful if someone wants to talk to me. I don't do indoor cardio, so I'm usually in the weights area and a lot of the gym bros seem to chat with each other and with me. It's not long conversations. Just trash talk and spots and "You need the 5 pound dumbbells, Leroy?" kind of stuff.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

^this. Obviously, I'm not going to talk to everyone if the gym is crowded or the trail is crowded. But if it's me and I'm all alone and some guy runs by, sure I nod and say hello. 90% of the time the other person says hello first or back. Sometimes they say "whhooo! It's hot today!"

In the gym, I don't generally initiate conversation, but I smile at regulars, generally say hello and am cheerful if someone wants to talk to me. I don't do indoor cardio, so I'm usually in the weights area and a lot of the gym bros seem to chat with each other and with me. It's not long conversations. Just trash talk and spots and "You need the 5 pound dumbbells, Leroy?" kind of stuff.

Yeah, it doesnt take much effort or time to humor someone who wants to be friendly. I even had one guy talk to me for 20 minutes when I asked him to spot my bench. He talked throughout my sets and it was a bit distracting, but he seemed to be really happy to have connected with someone at the gym.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i am.

there are several other regulars that i now speak to on a pretty normal basis. we've introduced ourselves, so greeting them and shooting the **** is a normal occurrence.

if i need to interact with someone to ask if they are using something i am always polite and outgoing.

my mom always said 'you get more flies with honey than with vinegar'.
    and while my younger self had no idea wtf she was talking about (why would i want flies anyway?), it's true.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yeah, it doesnt take much effort or time to humor someone who wants to be friendly. I even had one guy talk to me for 20 minutes when I asked him to spot my bench. He talked throughout my sets and it was a bit distracting, but he seemed to be really happy to have connected with someone at the gym.

so....how was the sex?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    SO...if someone smiles at you or nods you don't have to do the same back but you also don't have to give them a rude look.

OR you could just accept that some people are focused/struggling/in pain/in a bad mood/have *****y resting face or anything else that has nothing to do with you and not assume they're "rude."
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    no. I taunt and jeer. Fatties.

But, seriously, my FL can attest. I tell stories on a regular basis about my gym community. It's one of the few places where we all geet along, and I have made some great friends and acquaintances at my gym. We chat. We smile. We joke. We enjoy each other.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't interrupt me mid set or try and chat for hours, yes
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think the paintings of Thomas Kinkade are awful and trite.
    God- I thought I was the only one!

It's always amazed me just how prolific that "art" was/is.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think the paintings of Thomas Kinkade are awful and trite.
    God- I thought I was the only one!

It's always amazed me just how prolific that "art" was/is.

Especially considering that most of it was painted by his apprentices.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm always friendly - whether working out or otherwise. I've been going to the same gym for several years so I say hello to those I know and smile at anyone I make eye contact with. The same with running ... and most people say hello back. But I don't go into cheerleader mode for anyone and I wouldn't interrupt a workout to get chatty.
  • 4mricandy
    4mricandy Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Still you gotta wonder... What would Scooby Doo?
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I dont mind a nod or smile but anything more and I feel obligated to take my headphones out and respond which annoys the **** out of me when I'm in 'the zone'. So long as the music keeps playing and I dont' have to speak it's all good!
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA! I figured out what it is.

I've been wearing my hubbys old rock tee shirts. Apparently the old ladies in my town don't like his In Utero T-Shirt. lololol.

I got several dirty looks AGAIN last night while wearing it.

File:In_Utero_(Nirvana)_album_cover.jpg
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options

OR you could just accept that some people are focused/struggling/in pain/in a bad mood/have *****y resting face or anything else that has nothing to do with you and not assume they're "rude."

as someone who has a ****y resting face I get this.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When I work out, I am alone. No other creature exists in the world.

It's the only way I can do it. I'm very pro minding my own business. I don't like the idea of someone watching me or smiling at me during my workout. Granted, I won't take offense. But I'm pretending you're not there so I can find my zone and I'm trusting others to do the same.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I will give a nod and a smile as well. I don't like talking to much while in the gym. There are a few guys that I may exchange a few good mornings with. One of which is an older guy who I swear only comes to the gym to train his jawbone because it is the only thing moving while he is there.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    i am.

there are several other regulars that i now speak to on a pretty normal basis. we've introduced ourselves, so greeting them and shooting the **** is a normal occurrence.

if i need to interact with someone to ask if they are using something i am always polite and outgoing.

my mom always said 'you get more flies with honey than with vinegar'.
    and while my younger self had no idea wtf she was talking about (why would i want flies anyway?), it's true.

This.

I work out at home now - but I enjoyed the community aspect of the gym. I would never engage someone in a chat in the middle of a set. And I don't think anyone ever did that to me.

One dude at my gym was an ex-pro basketball player (not NBA, played in Italy) and if I am being totally honest, knowing I was going to hear one of his epic stories was motivation to go to the gym.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    If someone talks to me I will talk to them. I mean, I won't go and start a conversation with someone who is there to work out. But I will say "sure, go ahead and take that dumbbell, I'm done" or I will ask "is this bench yours?"

I'm all politeness and smiles when necessary. But generally, I mind my own business. If I see a bimbo or a meat head acting the fool, I will secretly roll my eyes and keep it moving. But that's as far as I will go on douchy-ness.