People claiming to be full in tiny calorie amounts

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    1 - they're full of ****

2- they don't understand proper nutrition so they think they have to entire give up calorie dense foods and eat nothing but veggies and whatnot...which won't have many calories and won't provide much in the way of energy, but are going to be high volume and probably leave them feeling a bit bloated and otherwise full.

3 - they have a ****ty relationship with food in general and dietary fat in particular...they think fat is "bad" and do not understand that dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition.

4 - they buy into this whole clean eating concept which they don't really fully understand because they don't actually understand much about actual nutrition which leads to issues 2 & 3.

5 - they have other deep seeded emotional and psychological issues
    So when my stomach says, "I'm not hungry anymore," it's because of one of those five reasons and it can't possibly be because I just simply have a small appetite?

No you can be legitimately full. It is knowing that you need to eat more and yet not doing so because you are just "so full" that means you have some sort of issue. If you need to eat more you should eat more regardless of how "full" you feel. If you are constantly feeling "full" without eating enough calories then you need to make changes to your food choices so that that stops happening.
    And that is how people end up overweight. Eating when not hungry is not really the best idea. And when the very thought of putting another bite into my mouth makes me want to throw up because I am not hungry anymore, I'm not going to eat more.

I've never been a big eater. Ever. And I've also never been bigger than a size 12, which for me is quite large. I was a size 6 at most until I was almost 30 years old. Would I like to lose weight? Yes. But do I REALLY need to? No. Because I don't eat when I'm not hungry.

All the people I ever knew who ate when they weren't hungry have been seriously overweight most of their lives.

And I've also always been healthy, with my bloodwork from every doctor's visit coming back showing that I am getting the nutrients I need.

If people want to and are able to eat more and achieve the results they want, good for them. I'm not sure, though, why you all feel the need to put down people who live differently, though.

I ended up overweight by eating too little, starving and then binging. That is very, very, very common.

When I make sure to eat regularly even when I'm not "hungry" I end up eating a better diet that's within my calorie range. That's also pretty common.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Mine is set to 1210 to lose 1.5 per week with 33 to lose. I'll be bumping down to 1 per week soon, but I think were I am is ok for now. This is based on MFP recommendations considering BMR and a sedentary activity level. When I eat high protein and high fat foods, I can typically stick to that without much griping as long as I eat exercise calories back.

However, there are days when I want to eat my own hand. Those days are predictably timed within my hormonal cycle, and I just let it happen. I overshoot by 200-300/day for a day or two. BUT - the week following I usually have little to no appetite and hover around 1100 for around 3-4 days. All in all, my weekly deficit is still the same but the daily fluctuates.

All of that being said, I think a lot of people do like to "humble brag" and talk about how they just can't hit the 1200/day no matter how hard they try. Some people have small appetites, I get it, but it's kind of a slap in the face to those of us who are trying really hard not to overshoot our numbers.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    OP, Why does it matter what other people eat? Why not focus on you and what works for you?

Personally, I eat around 1200-1500 calories per day depending on what I'm eating, whether or not I'm working out, or just how hungry I am. During that week of the month, I'm ridiculously ravenous. I could eat a village out of their food and then go back for more.

Lovely OP, make sure that whatever plan you're working with, it is working for you. Ensure your nutritional needs are being met.

For one, I know that if I concerned myself with what everyone else was eating and everyone else's calories, I'd be driving myself absolutely insane.

Good luck!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    When people post things on here saying they only eat 1200/1000/800 etc calories a day and they are soooooo full and they just can't seem to find ways to eat more than that while at the same time claiming to be fat (how did they get fat eating so little?) are they just lying. When I eat 1500 calories a day, even if I eat masses of bulk through non starchy vegetables, I am utterly ravenous, obsessed with food until I've eaten at least 1800-2000 calories. I'll feel lightheaded, unable to think properly, tired, demotivated and obsessive. But there's people claiming to regularly eat way below that and to feel like they've eaten TOO much, while being fat... It's really discouraging, it makes me feel like if I eat a normal day's worth of food (1800 calories to 2000) I am a disgusting un womanly pig because clearly I seem to be unable to eat less. But I kind if suspect it's just one of those internet lies, I think those people are either eating more or are not fat and have not been fat recently.

You know what? Screw you. I'm so f*cking tired of people having an opinion about MY life without knowing me AT ALL.

You know how I got fat? From drinking soda and coffee - to the tune of 1200ish calories a day. I've never been an over-eater, I've never been an emotional eater, I've never relied on food for ANYTHING other than making me full.

If you feel like a disgusting un-womanly pig - that's on YOU - not me.

I started this journey at 232 pounds 5'4" - so yeah, I was fat. I STILL am fat at 205.2. I weigh all my food. I eat the same things I did before I quit drinking all the ridiculous crap. I'm struggling to meet my goals and whiny s*its like you aren't helping at all. I actively try EVERY SINGLE DAY to eat more. I make myself sick in an effort to meet the magic 1200 that everyone seems stuck on. I skip working out even though I love it because every single day I don't meet my calorie goal is a FAILURE. I have literally failed every single day for almost 60 days in a row. I ask for help, calorie dense food suggestions, snack suggestions, etc. Instead I generally get criticism, guilt trips and name calling.

I post kindly in the "I can't stop eating" threads. Why can't the same be done for people who are GENUINELY trying to lose weight in a healthy, attainable way but are unused to eating a lot of food every single day? What a ridiculous and disgusting double standard.

I feel empathy for anyone trying to lose weight and having a hard time - if it's uncontrollable snacking, inability to say no to certain foods, or people that gained weight because of other factors and have trouble eating as much as they are supposed to.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Some people have few problems with their hunger urge, and can eat low calorie or even fast for long periods without feeling especially hungry. My brother on the other hand...when that guy gets hungry he either gets some food in him soon or gets pissy and it becomes everyone's problem. Dude gets HUNGRY.

Something else to bear in mind is that people who get fat often aren't eating because their hungry, but because of eating disorders, stress, habit, or just from the chemical buzz that comes from eating. Or maybe they just like food.

When I'm on low calorie, after I adjust to it, I can eat very little and be perfectly fine with it. I don't start thinking about food for a solid week or so, at which point its time for a cheat meal anyways. After about the third day of a fast, hunger urges start getting a lot more distant, and this can continue for another 4-5 days before the body starts saying, "OK. For serious. Eat something."

So everyone has different experiences with this. For some people 1000 calories, or even 600, isn't that hard. Its just not sustainable long term.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I ended up overweight by eating too little, starving and then binging.

I assume when you binged, you ate beyond hunger, correct?

I didn't say it was the ONLY way people end up overweight, but it is certainly a recipe to ensure it happens.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1 - they're full of ****

2- they don't understand proper nutrition so they think they have to entire give up calorie dense foods and eat nothing but veggies and whatnot...which won't have many calories and won't provide much in the way of energy, but are going to be high volume and probably leave them feeling a bit bloated and otherwise full.

3 - they have a ****ty relationship with food in general and dietary fat in particular...they think fat is "bad" and do not understand that dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition.

4 - they buy into this whole clean eating concept which they don't really fully understand because they don't actually understand much about actual nutrition which leads to issues 2 & 3.

So when my stomach says, "I'm not hungry anymore," it's because of one of those five reasons and it can't possibly be because I just simply have a small appetite?

No you can be legitimately full. It is knowing that you need to eat more and yet not doing so because you are just "so full" that means you have some sort of issue. If you need to eat more you should eat more regardless of how "full" you feel. If you are constantly feeling "full" without eating enough calories then you need to make changes to your food choices so that that stops happening.
    And that is how people end up overweight. Eating when not hungry is not really the best idea. And when the very thought of putting another bite into my mouth makes me want to throw up because I am not hungry anymore, I'm not going to eat more.

I've never been a big eater. Ever. And I've also never been bigger than a size 12, which for me is quite large. I was a size 6 at most until I was almost 30 years old. Would I like to lose weight? Yes. But do I REALLY need to? No. Because I don't eat when I'm not hungry.

All the people I ever knew who ate when they weren't hungry have been seriously overweight most of their lives.

And I've also always been healthy, with my bloodwork from every doctor's visit coming back showing that I am getting the nutrients I need.

If people want to and are able to eat more and achieve the results they want, good for them. I'm not sure, though, why you all feel the need to put down people who live differently, though.

To this I would just point out there is an absolute night and day difference between someone who doesn't track their calories eating when they aren't hungry and someone who DOES track their calories eating when they aren't hungry because they realize they need more calories according to their plan.

I have eaten when not hungry numerous times during my current diet because I am tracking my intake and I wish to hit my goal. Sometimes I exercise a lot and my goal becomes quite high and it can be tough to eat enough.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. When I was actively losing weight (not now, am pregnant), I would eat all of my food earlier in the day and not eat anything after dinner at like 5 or 6 at the latest. Then, I was REALLY hungry but would ignore it. I found it easier to ignore my hunger at night, when I wasn't so busy. Now I'm pregnant and my condescending, preachy doctor told me not to gain ANY more weight, even though I have 17 weeks left. So yeah, I'm back to starving at night after eating 1500-1800 calories during the day. She'd better be right saying that it won't hurt the baby, or she's going to have one angry woman on her hands.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200-1300 a day and don't feel the need to eat any more. I don't get "hungry" after that. But i'm not "so full that I CAN'T eat any more." It's all a matter of if you NEED to :)

I see that you joined MFP this month. I think I stuck with a 1200 calorie (or less) diet pretty easily the first month, maybe even a little longer. But over time I felt it was prudent to increase it. Maybe it was just that I started working out more regularly and more energetically. Maybe there is some mechanism that allows us to "coast" for the first while. Most of my friends have done the same. The exception seems to be older women who don't exercise vigorously. I'm hoping if you find yourself feeling headachy or less energetic at sometime in the future you will also adjust your goal.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I did not say everyone I said most people and I stick by that. Look up the average persons stats and plug those into that calculator.
    But you're also saying people trying to lose at 1200-1500 are misinformed and people telling them to eat more are just trying to educate them. The assumption seems to be that those of us who aren't the 'average person' are ... I'm not sure. Uninformed? Not here? Supposed to eat higher because it's easier for you to dispense advice to an 'average person'?

There's nothing wrong with trying to eat all you can while still losing weight, if that's your choice. Why is there something wrong with eating 1200-1500, if that's someone's choice? It's not unsafe, despite popular opinion. It's not overly aggressive for many.

I don't believe I ever said something as absolutist as that. I do not believe that 1200-1500 calories is wrong for everyone, but for the majority of people it is so when someone says they are eating 1200 calories I approach it with skepticism and ask them how many grams of protein they are getting, how many grams of fat and if they are hitting their micronutrients. I don't see why that approach is wrong honestly.

If somone who is small enough that 1200 calories is sufficient for them wants to lose weight at a rate that is quick they are better off doing some exercise to raise up their calorie allotment than to stick with a diet where they are not getting the nutrition they need.

What frightens me is when I ask people on 1200 calorie diets if they are getting x grams of protein or x grams of fat or their necessary iron they either don't have an answer or they aren't.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Mine is set to 1210 to lose 1.5 per week with 33 to lose. I'll be bumping down to 1 per week soon, but I think were I am is ok for now. This is based on MFP recommendations considering BMR and a sedentary activity level. When I eat high protein and high fat foods, I can typically stick to that without much griping as long as I eat exercise calories back.

However, there are days when I want to eat my own hand. Those days are predictably timed within my hormonal cycle, and I just let it happen. I overshoot by 200-300/day for a day or two. BUT - the week following I usually have little to no appetite and hover around 1100 for around 3-4 days. All in all, my weekly deficit is still the same but the daily fluctuates.

All of that being said, I think a lot of people do like to "humble brag" and talk about how they just can't hit the 1200/day no matter how hard they try. Some people have small appetites, I get it, but it's kind of a slap in the face to those of us who are trying really hard not to overshoot our numbers.

Well said. I will summon the courage to not ask you if you are getting enough iron in your diet with such a low calorie value on the basis of your eloquence and valid points :-)
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    1 - they're full of ****

Whoa, bud.

So is it safe to assume you know every single human being personally that eats below 1200 calories, and you know that one or a combination of these 5 reasons listed is why they're full?

You sound hangry.
    Go eat a Snickers.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options

Well said. I will summon the courage to not ask you if you are getting enough iron in your diet with such a low calorie value on the basis of your eloquence and valid points :-)

I usually hit my macros and I take a multivitamin, so possibly. Hopefully.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Lying about whether or not you were full would be the weirdest thing in the world to lie about.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If somone who is small enough that 1200 calories is sufficient for them wants to lose weight at a rate that is quick they are better off doing some exercise to raise up their calorie allotment than to stick with a diet where they are not getting the nutrition they need.

What frightens me is when I ask people on 1200 calorie diets if they are getting x grams of protein or x grams of fat or their necessary iron they either don't have an answer or they aren't.
    Not everyone is following your diet. You don't know more about what nutrition I need than I do. And I'm getting angry with the "I'm just here to inform the poor little ladies" attitude so I'm going to put you on ignore. Take care. :smile:
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah I feel most comfy about the 1800 range (at a minimum lol) too, 5 meals around 350 cal feels perfect.
  • JackieO524
    JackieO524 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    workout everyday at a good intensity and gain more calories to create a decent deficit if you want to eat more.....simple
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When people post things on here saying they only eat 1200/1000/800 etc calories a day and they are soooooo full and they just can't seem to find ways to eat more than that while at the same time claiming to be fat (how did they get fat eating so little?) are they just lying. When I eat 1500 calories a day, even if I eat masses of bulk through non starchy vegetables, I am utterly ravenous, obsessed with food until I've eaten at least 1800-2000 calories. I'll feel lightheaded, unable to think properly, tired, demotivated and obsessive. But there's people claiming to regularly eat way below that and to feel like they've eaten TOO much, while being fat... It's really discouraging, it makes me feel like if I eat a normal day's worth of food (1800 calories to 2000) I am a disgusting un womanly pig because clearly I seem to be unable to eat less. But I kind if suspect it's just one of those internet lies, I think those people are either eating more or are not fat and have not been fat recently.

You know what? Screw you. I'm so f*cking tired of people having an opinion about MY life without knowing me AT ALL.

You know how I got fat? From drinking soda and coffee - to the tune of 1200ish calories a day. I've never been an over-eater, I've never been an emotional eater, I've never relied on food for ANYTHING other than making me full.

If you feel like a disgusting un-womanly pig - that's on YOU - not me.

I started this journey at 232 pounds 5'4" - so yeah, I was fat. I STILL am fat at 205.2. I weigh all my food. I eat the same things I did before I quit drinking all the ridiculous crap. I'm struggling to meet my goals and whiny s*its like you aren't helping at all. I actively try EVERY SINGLE DAY to eat more. I make myself sick in an effort to meet the magic 1200 that everyone seems stuck on. I skip working out even though I love it because every single day I don't meet my calorie goal is a FAILURE. I have literally failed every single day for almost 60 days in a row. I ask for help, calorie dense food suggestions, snack suggestions, etc. Instead I generally get criticism, guilt trips and name calling.

I post kindly in the "I can't stop eating" threads. Why can't the same be done for people who are GENUINELY trying to lose weight in a healthy, attainable way but are unused to eating a lot of food every single day? What a ridiculous and disgusting double standard.

I feel empathy for anyone trying to lose weight and having a hard time - if it's uncontrollable snacking, inability to say no to certain foods, or people that gained weight because of other factors and have trouble eating as much as they are supposed to.

I'm sorry the OP's words were so hurtful to you. I just wanted to respond and give you an internet hug and tell you that I hope you don't actually feel like a failure. You're doing a great job, are a very pretty girl (I mean that in a non-creepy, "I could be your mom" way), and are absolutely right that there's no need to food shame anyone here.

BTW, I'm 5 feet tall and in my late 40's. 1200-1500 is plenty for me, TVVM.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    MFP has my calorie goal set for 1250 calories. I'm 5' 1" tall and currently weigh 184 pounds. That setting is intended to help me lose 1.5 pounds/week, which I seem to be hitting pretty consistently. I very rarely go over this goal and I don't feel ravenous. Even on active days, I rarely go much over 1500 calories and I don't feel ravenous. This morning, my breakfast consisted of a cup of coffee with creamer, a bottle of water with peach-mango-flavored powder (I love juice, but can't drink it), a container of light Yoplait yogurt, and two tablespoons of chopped walnuts. I felt satisfied on this breakfast, did a little writing, went outside and worked in the yard a half an hour--and still felt satisfied. I didn't get to feeling hungry until about a half an hour ago, about 4.5 hours after eating my 329 calorie breakfast.

Now, mornings when I'm really active, that breakfast wouldn't cut it. I'll add a couple of eggs to it, toast, and maybe some sausages. But it *is* possible to eat a small meal and feel satisfied or even full. Some nights, even when I've been running around like a madwoman, I'm still only hungry enough and motivated enough to eat a protein bar for supper, paired with a cup of milk. I know it's not ideal, but I do my best and am not missing my macros by much, even on unmotivated days. I also take a multivitamin (almost) every day, just in case I miss a bit through my food.