People claiming to be full in tiny calorie amounts

Options

Replies

• ecclesse
    ecclesse Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as a type-2 diabetic.

... Common symptoms of diabetes:
    ■Urinating often
    ■Feeling very thirsty
    ■Feeling very hungry - even though you are eating ...

If you have not had a blood test recently, this could be an issue. Looking back on my own situation, it was obvious something was wrong. The funny thing is, you are eating more and more, but still losing weight.

good luck.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    When people post things on here saying they only eat 1200/1000/800 etc calories a day and they are soooooo full and they just can't seem to find ways to eat more than that while at the same time claiming to be fat (how did they get fat eating so little?) are they just lying. When I eat 1500 calories a day, even if I eat masses of bulk through non starchy vegetables, I am utterly ravenous, obsessed with food until I've eaten at least 1800-2000 calories. I'll feel lightheaded, unable to think properly, tired, demotivated and obsessive. But there's people claiming to regularly eat way below that and to feel like they've eaten TOO much, while being fat... It's really discouraging, it makes me feel like if I eat a normal day's worth of food (1800 calories to 2000) I am a disgusting un womanly pig because clearly I seem to be unable to eat less. But I kind if suspect it's just one of those internet lies, I think those people are either eating more or are not fat and have not been fat recently.

You know what? Screw you. I'm so f*cking tired of people having an opinion about MY life without knowing me AT ALL.

You know how I got fat? From drinking soda and coffee - to the tune of 1200ish calories a day. I've never been an over-eater, I've never been an emotional eater, I've never relied on food for ANYTHING other than making me full.

If you feel like a disgusting un-womanly pig - that's on YOU - not me.

I started this journey at 232 pounds 5'4" - so yeah, I was fat. I STILL am fat at 205.2. I weigh all my food. I eat the same things I did before I quit drinking all the ridiculous crap. I'm struggling to meet my goals and whiny s*its like you aren't helping at all. I actively try EVERY SINGLE DAY to eat more. I make myself sick in an effort to meet the magic 1200 that everyone seems stuck on. I skip working out even though I love it because every single day I don't meet my calorie goal is a FAILURE. I have literally failed every single day for almost 60 days in a row. I ask for help, calorie dense food suggestions, snack suggestions, etc. Instead I generally get criticism, guilt trips and name calling.

I post kindly in the "I can't stop eating" threads. Why can't the same be done for people who are GENUINELY trying to lose weight in a healthy, attainable way but are unused to eating a lot of food every single day? What a ridiculous and disgusting double standard.

I feel empathy for anyone trying to lose weight and having a hard time - if it's uncontrollable snacking, inability to say no to certain foods, or people that gained weight because of other factors and have trouble eating as much as they are supposed to.

I for one apologize for the offense this sort of over-generalization causes. I don't think anyone including the OP if pinned down and asked directly would claim that what was said is true for everyone, its just the common impression people get on these forums from those who eat so little and claim to be so full. If you watch the forums you will start to notice how common that is and how most posts are humblebrag like in nature. That does not excuse the offense you were caused but that is likely where it is coming from.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just because it is not YOUR situation doesn't mean it isn't someone else's. Other then when I am really depressed, I don't find that I CAN'T eat 1200 a day (or whatever amount I am shooting for) but there have been times when at the end of the day I am so far below (at least 400-600 calories below) my goal that I have to convince myself to eat something.

My body, as I am sure has happened with others, has went through huge changes since I started working on this two months ago. One of the biggest differences is that I no longer crave or even love the junk I used to. Like half of me came from Reese's because I loved them so much. I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to go to the store and get some. Now, I don't find them so great. It is a bittersweet thing for me, lol. My stomach has shrunk (in large thanks to a new psych med my doc put me on two months ago that make me temporarily lose taste and touch sensations in my tongue, making eating something that I had to force myself to do instead of something I looked forward to) and I have not taken the "opportunity" to stretch it back out.

I no longer eat just because I don't have anything else to do, there went like 1/2 my calories. I now choose lower calorie and healthier food vs high calories junk and I am fuller on it. I find I can get as full on a 300 calorie salad as I did on a 900 calorie junk supper.

There is nothing wrong with you for being hungry and there is nothing wrong with these people who are having trouble eating all their calories. Our bodies all respond to this process in different ways. Stop judging people, it seems so common on here. If you posted something that someone else wasn't going through, how would you like them to call you a liar? And this is from so many people on here. Anytime someone mentions that they are having trouble eating enough people jump all over them saying that basically because they are fat due to the choices/decisions they WERE making that they must be full of it now. This gets really old and really fast.

ETA: If you are like me, eating tons of "bulk" is not going to fill you up. I will get just as if not more full on a 1/2 cup cottage cheese than on a large salad. You may need to look into adding more protein into your diet as that is what helps to keep me satisfied. But again, we are all different so it might now work for you.
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I eat healthy and clean, its TOUGH for me to consume 1500 calories in a day (and I'm 6'0 270). Its very easy to feel like your starving when you eat crap foods with little to no nutritional value. I know a lot of people on here praise the fact they can eat whatever they want as long as it fits their macros. Thats just not for me! That being said, some people just can eat 1000 calories in a day and be completely satisfied, if you cant well then you cant. No need to knock people for being different :)
    I agree, because 500 calories of junk food is usually smaller tthan healthy food. Also there are healthy fats that can fill you up along with good carbs and lean protien. If you get your body gradually use to it if your having a real problem with to many calories cut back slowly and start adding in healthy choices.

Not everyone who says they are full off a small amount of calories started off eating such a small amount. I never counted calories before and I'm sure I ate a ton and that is how I got fat. It was because of that, that I decided to start cutting back and I realized I don't need as much to eat as I thought. Later I found this site and I like knowing what I eat. I started filling up a smaller plate with proper portions of each food and found that I was full. Yes at first my body wasn't use to it, but after a week or two I was well ajusted.

I hope I have answered your question.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When people post things on here saying they only eat 1200/1000/800 etc calories a day and they are soooooo full and they just can't seem to find ways to eat more than that while at the same time claiming to be fat (how did they get fat eating so little?) are they just lying. When I eat 1500 calories a day, even if I eat masses of bulk through non starchy vegetables, I am utterly ravenous, obsessed with food until I've eaten at least 1800-2000 calories. I'll feel lightheaded, unable to think properly, tired, demotivated and obsessive. But there's people claiming to regularly eat way below that and to feel like they've eaten TOO much, while being fat... It's really discouraging, it makes me feel like if I eat a normal day's worth of food (1800 calories to 2000) I am a disgusting un womanly pig because clearly I seem to be unable to eat less. But I kind if suspect it's just one of those internet lies, I think those people are either eating more or are not fat and have not been fat recently.

You know what? Screw you. I'm so f*cking tired of people having an opinion about MY life without knowing me AT ALL.

You know how I got fat? From drinking soda and coffee - to the tune of 1200ish calories a day. I've never been an over-eater, I've never been an emotional eater, I've never relied on food for ANYTHING other than making me full.

I started this journey at 232 pounds 5'4" - so yeah, I was fat. I STILL am fat at 205.2. I weigh all my food. I eat the same things I did before I quit drinking all the ridiculous crap. I'm struggling to meet my goals and whiny s*its like you aren't helping at all. I actively try EVERY SINGLE DAY to eat more. I make myself sick in an effort to meet the magic 1200 that everyone seems stuck on. I skip working out even though I love it because every single day I don't meet my calorie goal is a FAILURE. I have literally failed every single day for almost 60 days in a row. I ask for help, calorie dense food suggestions, snack suggestions, etc. Instead I generally get criticism, guilt trips and name calling.

I post kindly in the "I can't stop eating" threads. Why can't the same be done for people who are GENUINELY trying to lose weight in a healthy, attainable way but are unused to eating a lot of food every single day? What a ridiculous and disgusting double standard.

I feel empathy for anyone trying to lose weight and having a hard time - if it's uncontrollable snacking, inability to say no to certain foods, or people that gained weight because of other factors and have trouble eating as much as they are supposed to.

I hear you. Here is a list of the calorie dense foods I've compiled from innumerable posts like that:

Here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)
    Beans and legumes

But, really, if you are meeting your micros and just want to add calories, the answer is in your post. Drink them. Apple juice would be one suggestion.

One thing I learned when I tried to bulk is that there are no "crap" foods when it comes to health goals. If you can't meet your basic calorie needs, a cookie is a VERY good thing.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800-2000 calories a day lately. I am loosing weight this month at a higher rate then i did last month. So i don't get why people starve themselves. It doesn't do any good. Its been my experience that the more i eat them more i loose. I am a cardio junkie though and i also do strength training now =)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I stay full on small amounts bc I have lived that way forever. When I went to college and started to gain and eat/drink a lot, it would hurt my stomach and when I tried to go back down to small calories I was hungry all the time. Now I'm pretty used to it again (I kinda like being hungry).

I really think it depends on each person and your lifestyle :)

I will say that those posts are irritating, if you're full... Cool. No need to announce to everyone. No one is impressed with your low intake, haha. Sounds harsh but it's honest!
    So. . . I checked your diary, having read your post. Please eat more. Thanks.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I hear you. Here is a list of the calorie dense foods I've compiled from innumerable posts like that:

Here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)
    Beans and legumes

But, really, if you are meeting your micros and just want to add calories, the answer is in your post. Drink them. Apple juice would be one suggestion.

One thing I learned when I tried to bulk is that there are no "crap" foods when it comes to health goals. If you can't meet your basic calorie needs, a cookie is a VERY good thing.

Thank you. I have texture issues and many of these foods test my gag reflex quite a bit - but there are foods on here I haven't tried yet, so I really appreciate the list. And the fact that you're trying to help me. I've never really been a cookie/ice cream/chip kinda girl and it feels counter-intuitive to start that now. But I can maybe do a glass of OJ, or another cup of coffee. Honestly I've been scared to drink my calories since that's what got me here first - but fear isn't going to help me at all.

Also, Aaron, no need to apologize - you've helped me quite a bit, and I appreciate it.

MissJean - thank you. I do feel like a failure when I don't meet my goals. I'm a type A and I'm incredibly hard on myself - and getting healthy is something I take very seriously.

I realize that it probably is frustrating for someone that is struggling to eat less to hear that someone is struggling to eat enough. I get that - and I don't run around flaunting the fact that this is a "thing" for me. But I also don't like to be dismissed and called a liar, so I spoke up - and I will keep doing so because generalizations suck, and if someone needs help - we should help them.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    For more than 15 years, I struggled with depression. You may be aware that depression causes apathy, listlessness, and lack of appetite. I didn't feel hungry most of the time. I would think about eating, and it would seem like too much effort to even bother. This was compounded by the fact that I had never learned to cook. Sometimes I would stand in my pantry and cry, because I knew that my husband had bought things to eat, but nothing looked like "food" to me -- just "ingredients." Depression made the idea of learning to cook myself a proper meal seem like an impossible task. Most of the time when I did eat, I would just eat whatever was convenient. Sometimes this would be way too little food (like eating nothing but one can of Chef Boyardee for the whole day). Other times I'd eat incredibly calorie dense junk food, getting 2000 calories or more from what did not seem like very much food. After I got married my husband would make sure I ate. I still ate a very small volume of food, but I was getting more than enough calories (usually all at dinner). Eventually, I became overweight.

The end result was that, when I started eating healthier, I ended up having to increase the volume of food I was eating, even while decreasing calories. That was hard at first. I'd sit at the table and stare at my food, and feel sick. But you just can't get enough vitamins and minerals and good stuff by eating nothing but double cheeseburgers and fries, so I pushed through. Now I'm more used to it, but I still sometimes slip up. I wasn't paying attention right after my daughter was born, and ended up way undereating so many days in a row that I almost fainted -- while holding my precious baby. (And hey, just like everybody else, when I eat things that are denser in calories, some because they are good for me and some just because they taste good, I too have trouble staying UNDER my calorie goal. I had a 500 calorie milk shake the other day that was SO WORTH IT.)

But let me be clear. My problems with undereating don't mean that anyone else is a "pig." My problems are just that -- mine. They don't actually have anything to do with you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1 - they're full of ****

2- they don't understand proper nutrition so they think they have to entire give up calorie dense foods and eat nothing but veggies and whatnot...which won't have many calories and won't provide much in the way of energy, but are going to be high volume and probably leave them feeling a bit bloated and otherwise full.

3 - they have a ****ty relationship with food in general and dietary fat in particular...they think fat is "bad" and do not understand that dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition.

4 - they buy into this whole clean eating concept which they don't really fully understand because they don't actually understand much about actual nutrition which leads to issues 2 & 3.

5 - they have other deep seeded emotional and psychological issues
    So when my stomach says, "I'm not hungry anymore," it's because of one of those five reasons and it can't possibly be because I just simply have a small appetite?

you seriously have a 500 calorie appetite? Please...

I'm calling #1 on your *kitten*.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I'm sorry the OP's words were so hurtful to you. I just wanted to respond and give you an internet hug and tell you that I hope you don't actually feel like a failure. You're doing a great job, are a very pretty girl (I mean that in a non-creepy, "I could be your mom" way), and are absolutely right that there's no need to food shame anyone here.

BTW, I'm 5 feet tall and in my late 40's. 1200-1500 is plenty for me, TVVM.
    What a kind post!:flowerforyou:

I agree food shaming is really not that different than fat shaming or thin shaming. None of them need a place here, they certainly don't motivate anyone to stay positive and make changes.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options

I agree food shaming is really not that different than fat shaming or thin shaming. None of them need a place here, they certainly don't motivate anyone to stay positive and make changes.

I wonder why there is so much food shaming going on around here. Is it jealousy, that they can't function on so few calories comfortably? Do they rail against low cal because they don't like the idea of someone losing weight faster, or with less time spent on cardio? Its not like it isn't common knowledge that low cal isn't a long term solution.

There is a doctrine here that you must fall into...or get castigated for the temerity to try something different. Of course they will say there are "concerned" or whatever...but I wonder what this is actually masking? Its group-think, or cult like behavior, to so violently and thoughtlessly discard anything outside of the dogma of the plurality, to the extreme of shaming someone for not following the herd.

You see it in every discussion that isn't about following the conventional wisdom.

And no, its not because people are concerned and think you should talk to a doctor or whatever...its because they don't like someone doing something different than what they're doing and having success with it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I wonder why there is so much food shaming going on around here. Is it jealousy, that they can't function on so few calories comfortably? Do they rail against low cal because they don't like the idea of someone losing weight faster, or with less time spent on cardio? Its not like it isn't common knowledge that low cal isn't a long term solution.

There is a doctrine here that you must fall into...or get castigated for the temerity to try something different. Of course they will say there are "concerned" or whatever...but I wonder what this is actually masking? Its group-think, or cult like behavior, to so violently and thoughtlessly discard anything outside of the dogma of the plurality, to the extreme of shaming someone for not following the herd.

You see it in every discussion that isn't about following the conventional wisdom.

And no, its not because people are concerned and think you should talk to a doctor or whatever...its because they don't like someone doing something different than what they're doing and having success with it.

If you're having success with it, knock yourself out.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

You've made some excellent points... there definitely does seem to be a line drawn down the middle of the boards.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Late to the party, but this bothered me, because I feel like most of us on here are trying to help other people. Personally I love eating LOTS of food, so I'm not jealous of people that eat 1200. The thing that I try to get across to people is if they are eating too little then the weight loss they experience includes too much LBM. If you take it slow and steady and eat slightly below your TDEE, then you can retain LBM and end up looking much better when you reach goal.
  • YoungGma29
    YoungGma29 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have found that when I eat healthy and clean, its TOUGH for me to consume 1500 calories in a day (and I'm 6'0 270). Its very easy to feel like your starving when you eat crap foods with little to no nutritional value. I know a lot of people on here praise the fact they can eat whatever they want as long as it fits their macros. Thats just not for me! That being said, some people just can eat 1000 calories in a day and be completely satisfied, if you cant well then you cant. No need to knock people for being different :)

This.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My main hypocritical question is the weight loss tickers vs join date. If you can't eat more than 1200 calories but joined three years ago, by now you've lost all your weight, right? Hypocritical because in my case my join date is not when I started logging. I'm not even sure I know what MFP was really for until a bit over a year ago. But if that's not other people's reason, then I confuse :ohwell:

I joined years ago. I started last month. It took me that long to get pissed off to take the matter into my own hands and stop relying on doctors to figure it out.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Full of BS!!!!!!!