Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Saving this. Great post!
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    bumping for the links...those 5 yeah...just started and it will take a while to get them good...increasing weight as I go..
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    bump, for vid links
  • foxcities2014
    foxcities2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    <3
  • chinook44
    chinook44 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great post! Going to focus on the 5 :)
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just a brief note/point that I wanted to make since I've seen a lot of friends offline make this mistake recently. :)

If you just started or have been lifting for only a few months, don't do any of those split routines. Split routine meaning this:

- Monday: Biceps, Chest [Bicep curls, dumbbell chest flys, ... ]
    - Tuesday: Hamstrings, Back [Cable Kickbacks, Good Mornings, ...]
    - Wednesday: Shoulders, Triceps [Shrugs, Tricep kickbacks, ... ]
    - etc, etc.

You don't need those separate days. You don't need isolation exercises. Splits like that are for intermediates. A lot of isolation work won't do you a lot of good if you don't have a good muscle base. Think of them us 'touch-up work' or as the 'decoration' to your plain frosted cake.

Focus on compound lifts.

Compound Lifts:
    - bench
    - squat
    - deadlift
    - pull ups
    - rows
    - military press

If you still want a split instead of a full body workout of compound lifts, do an upper/lower split, like this:

Workout A: Upper
    - Bench
    - Pull ups
    - Rows
    - Military Press

Workout B: Lower
    - Squat
    - Deadlift
    - Leg Press
    - Calf Raises

Alternate, and workout every other day.

If you have a great muscle imbalance where one side is very, very clearly so much stronger than the other, where one side is completely dominant (as in my fellow fencers out there), then feel free to add a bit of isolation/unilateral work to try and even yourself out.

Have a good day, everyone~!

Good beginner programs include:

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts
    New Rules of Lifting for Men/Women
    All Pro's
    Strong Curves

Some are/can be free. Just look on google or at Bodybuilding.com

Any other suggestions? :)

This!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    This is very good advice of course, I would go a bit further and simplify your list of information personally. There are lots of different exercises to do, but only 5 that someone who is new should do:

* Back Squat --- http://youtu.be/dQFsSj2IUAo
    * Bench press --- http://youtu.be/34XRmd3a8_0
    * Deadlift --- http://youtu.be/nXfzWe-6t0w
    * Standing Overhead press
    * Bent over row
    (I'm adding in a few example vids that I like, but please do your own research).

You already mentioned them, but I would really emphasize these 5. These 5 are the only lifts a new lifter needs to do. They are the most rudimentary lifts every lifter should know. It took me months to figure that out, wish I would've had someone spell that out for me in the beginning. Do these 5 and ignore everything else. Literally. Until you get good at them, everything else is wasting time.

These 5 compounds can be a little bit scary for newbies, they were for me. I suggest you go on YouTube and search "how to" on each one (how to deadlift, how to bench, etc). Lots of good proper instruction will come up. Watch and learn at least a few videos on each move to get a sample for the different subtleties and nuances from different instructors.

A word of advice: maybe you're a dude who thinks he knows how to do one of these already, like benching. You probably don't, actually. Learn from these people who really know what they're doing and please study proper form. Even if you think you know, review the basics. Do it periodically. The last thing you want when lifting is an injury.

The worst thing you can do is copy what others do at the gym. Please don't, people at the gym don't know what they're doing. The reason: people don't study. They don't ask critical questions. Some do, most don't. If you copy others you see, listen to your boyfriend or whatever, odds are their knowledge is incomplete and probably bad. YouTube videos are your best crowd sourced knowledge base. Do your own research. Please get in the habit of researching and studying.

I'd skip pushups, pull-ups, chin-ups and dips to start. They are good compounds sure, but many new people don't have the strength to do 1 pull-up. Build some strength using the 5 then start incorporating other compounds like those. Really, every exercise is superfluous outside of the basic 5 lifts. I'd also argue they just aren't as good, pull-ups are a good compound but they only work a subset if the body. Squats etc work the entire body, and really need to be learned first.

And the sooner you do and learn the 5 compounds the better off you'll be. If you're serious about lifting it will take you years to master all 5. They inform so many other lifts (there are many variants of them, related lifts etc) and it's almost impossible to know them all. But to start it's really that simple, the more complex and deeper stuff will come later.

And as some twins say, it's just advice. Do your own research and figure it out. ;)

This is what I have been pondering the last week or so as I've gotten back into the gym. Thanks!
  • garrisonwife
    garrisonwife Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hope every newbie lifter reads this!!! (Thanks, Steph, for posting on your profile...yes, I was stalking you.) ????
  • driab106
    driab106 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Question: Since I have a bad lower back and knee, squats and deadlifts are not for me (or anything that places added weight in a standing position, really) . What can I replace them with?
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    Joining this post because I want to start lifting, and I have a back injury. Please friend me or message me if you want to :)

Injury here too. Both knees gone. Is it possible to concentrate just strictly on upper body? Lifting has been a dream though. I'm so ready to start.

I wouldn't suggest simply doing upper body. Chicken legs are a real thing at gyms! ;)
    I usually don't suggest a lot of machine work at the gym, but if you're working with an injury, then machines might be best.
    Leg curls/extensions and seated calf raises shouldn't put as much stress on your knees.
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    Question: Since I have a bad lower back and knee, squats and deadlifts are not for me (or anything that places added weight in a standing position, really) . What can I replace them with?
    I have a lower back problem too (scoliosis), and sumo deadlifts put less emphasis on the back and more on the legs. If you're working with an injury, then I suggest adding a bit more machine work to your routine. Leg extensions/curls, seated calf raises, perhaps leg press if your knees are up to it.

However, I actually found that working my weaker muscles (like my back) has allowed me to build muscle there and that helps as added support. : ) It's up to you and your doctor/physical therapist.
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bumping for the videos! this girl is struggling on OHP!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Bump!
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great Advice
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I dug out my copy of new rules of lifting for women, which I tried to start last year. Read it front to back, back to front. Joined planet fitness and tried doing the workouts alone. I had some success, but just couldn't hit a rhythm. The past few months, I've modified my calorie intake and nutrition. Started working out at home using Jillian Michael's videos and last week completed a C25K program. I am on MFP daily and have been very interested in implementing a lifting program. I am going to get back into this book and loved seeing this thread this morning. Thank you!
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    <3
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hope every newbie lifter reads this!!! (Thanks, Steph, for posting on your profile...yes, I was stalking you.) ????

HAHA just saw this now.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    saving for the info, thanks!