Shirt or no Shirt?

Options

Replies

• Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wear what you want. If I had a nice flat stomach I would run in a sports bra. I see women do it all the time and it doesn't bother me, just like when I see a man running without a shirt.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of unclear on why what YOU wear on YOUR run is up to HIM to decide?
    F that; he needs to get over it.
    You're not moonlighting at a strip club and having random dudes using their mouths to put dollar bills in your g-string; you're going for a RUN, while wearing ATHLETIC CLOTHING.
    Maybe while you're out running he could go to the self-help section of the library and try to figure out WTF is up with being so insecure & controlling.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If I had a tauter tummy, I would. Covers more than a bikini!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel that you need to work out in just a bra?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You're not moonlighting at a strip club and having random dudes using their mouths to put dollar bills in your g-string; you're going for a RUN, while wearing ATHLETIC CLOTHING.
    Maybe while you're out running he could go to the self-help section of the library and try to figure out WTF is up with being so insecure & controlling.

Well, using my own marriage as an example, sometimes it comes down to me thinking, "Is this worth having a fight over?" If he asked me nicely to wear something over my bra, then yeah, I would do it because I love him, and I don't need to start a revolution over whether or not I can go shirtless out of the house. Not that important to me.

Now if he had a history of being a controlling insecure freak, then my actions and words might be different.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If your husband/partner didn't want you to run in just a sports bra, would you put a shirt on?

My husband would never think to tell me what to wear, nor would I tell him what to wear. I guess though that if he had a serious problem with something, I'd do as he asked, simply because it must be something he feels very strongly about.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    She said why. It's very hot. I live in Florida. I get it.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would just throw a loose wicking tank or thin cotton tank (loose not ribbed) over the sports bra and go. But then I don't have a "runner's" body so I wouldn't be comfortable running in just shorts and a sports bra.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

why not?

a shirt doesn't help or hinder really- I hate running with a shirt- it's annoying.

I would hate lifting in a shirt except I don't like my skin on the bench- otherwise the less clothes the better- I work out at home in swim wear style bikini bottoms and sports bras. just way moar better.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! While I may feel comfortable wearing a sports bra, I think I will put a Dryfit or a light tank over it. Also, I didn't mean to make my husband sound so controlling as some of you took it lol. I'm not going to get a divorce because he wants me to wear a shirt when I run and Yes I understand it is MY run. While I may find it silly he doesn't want me too, I understand and can respect his wishes. If that makes me weak to make him happy on this miniscule issue then so be it. If you see me passed out from heat exhaustion on the side of the road though... lol Thanks Everyone!
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, the guys that were going to stare without the shirt will probably stare with the shirt anyways.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Well, using my own marriage as an example, sometimes it comes down to me thinking, "Is this worth having a fight over?" If he asked me nicely to wear something over my bra, then yeah, I would do it because I love him, and I don't need to start a revolution over whether or not I can go shirtless out of the house. Not that important to me.

Now if he had a history of being a controlling insecure freak, then my actions and words might be different.

Wanting to change careers to be a stripper, taking up a recreational drug habit, or buying a GM car are all things to have arguments about. This is not.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Options
    She said why. It's very hot. I live in Florida. I get it.

Proof that people don't read the full topic before needing to respond lol
  • Go_Deskercise
    Options

Wanting to change careers to be a stripper, taking up a recreational drug habit, or buying a GM car are all things to have arguments about. This is not.

Definitely agree! I pick my battles. I'd rather win the remote war!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I really, really do not understand what is so scandalous about a sports bra, or exposed midriff for that matter.
  • dwdw2345
    dwdw2345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    exactly
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I really, really do not understand what is so scandalous about a sports bra, or exposed midriff for that matter.

Exactly!

My bikinis show more skin than my sport bras.... If I can wear a bikini at the beach, in public, I sure as hell can run in a sport bra.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Put on a shirt. If my husband felt strongly enough to mention it, it bothers him. I would take his feelings into account. He would do the same for me. It's not about being controlling. It's about taking your spouses sensibilities into account. I'm rather surprised at the vehemence by some people over a simple request.

ETA: when I ventured into the topic I was expecting a question about bench shirts :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Is a sports bra or even a bikini appropriate to wear as you run through your neighborhood? It's more than just the hubby we are talking here. Do you have a Homeowner Association that frowns upon barely clothed ladies or men running through the neighborhood? Do you have a hyper conservative mother in the neighborhood that will cause trouble cause you exposed your body to their young 8 year old boy as you jogged by their house? Just something more to think about. Carry on as you feel comfortable. :-)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say it's scandalous, but it will get you looked at, and some people are okay with that, and others, like me, really don't want to be stared at by strangers. I was out walking once on a local country dirt road in shorts and a tank top and two guys in a panel van slowed waaaay down and stared at me... woods both sides, no houses nearby. I did not like that at all. Never went walking that way again.