WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Heather...............Good grief; you can make me drool even when I have no idea what half your dishes are!!! LOL

yanniejannie
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Wow, miss a day and you can miss the new topic posts!

Well, the long weekend is almost upon us, July 1 ! Garden is surviving the torrential thunderstorms, and the tornadic activity is
    about 50 Km north of us... good for us, not for them....two touched down last night, that is 4 in the last 7 days!

A question to the group.....I do not link my calories expended in exercise to my mfp....I have done that in the past and it automatically shifts my calories....when I do not want to eat my exercise cals; I found myself fooled a few times, and then having to do subtraction for my macro from the mfp totals.....anyone else do this, or do you find mfp helpful?

There was an inspiring TED talk about research on happiness at Harvard that I would like to share with everyone. They have found that if you write 3 new things you are grateful for, every day, for 21 days, it alters your brain chemistry to help you deal with the negative messages we get, and focus on the positive.

I am starting my list today, and putting MFP Women 50+ at the top of my list!

Have a thoughtful Thursday,
    BJ, SWOnt
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Bumping in to say that Bodi is doing so much better. He is still very wobbly but he is moving on his own.

I hope you are all doing well. Time just seems to fly by.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    PNW
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: A certain amount of sodium needs to be in our diets, and I also am concerned that you might not be getting enough. I hope you will get guidelines from your cardiologist that will help you find the correct balance. When DH had his stroke the people at the hospital told him not to exceed 1500 mg per day, and reminded him that we all need some sodium. I love being able to look at the nutrition information for myself here on MFP. My days of going over the recommended maximum seem to coincide with eating in restaurants. Not much of a surprise.:noway: :ohwell:

Viv: Enjoy your vacation.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: Good luck finding a small scale that is effective. If you do, please let us know about it. Mine fits in my suitcase but not my purse.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I’d love to get your sourdough bread recipe. I’ve had the same sourdough starter since shortly after DH and I were married 44 years ago. I use it to make pancakes and waffles. The bread I’ve tried to make has been flavorless and tough, and I’ve tried more than one bread recipe.:grumble:

Patty in Cincinnati: I hope your day goes well and the birth of the baby goes as planned. :flowerforyou: :heart:

DS and DDIL have gone home. I hope they are able to get the rest they need following his surgery. The surgery went very well and now he has to go through the healing process. He’s sore, but dealing with it fairly well. They plan to be back for the Fourth of July weekend. We had boat issues while they were here. Our sailboat batteries died and needed to be replaced. DDIL and I lifted them in and out of a garden cart, hauled them up a steep ramp, and lifted them into the back of our VW to take in to the battery store. New batteries are on their way and will be delivered TO THE BOAT. PTL! I love Les Schwab Tire stores. Who else would deliver batteries to the inside of a boat floating in a marina?

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Checking in, I can't wait to get out of here today, I have a number of errands I need to do and have to be at DD's at 5:15 AM tomorrow. This week-end will fly by with me staying with the kids.

Cindy OK, Congrats on the pound!

Suzy, Great news on the biopsy.

BJ, I’m going to try that 21 day grateful list. I think I’ll even post it daily here when I check in. What a good idea.

Today I am grateful: 1) that my daughter has made it full term and is due to have my granddaughter tomorrow.
    2) that I found Myfitnesspal and all of my friends here.
    3) that I am strong and capable and can take care of my 4 yr and 2 yr old grandchildren while Mommy and Daddy are in the hospital.

Patty OH
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Back from the Doctor's office, well the nurse practioner. I had never met this one. She was very thorough. The last couple of days about when these episodes are and the ones most recent are on Sundays and I have taken my Wild lettuce leaf natural sleep aid the night before. So that is one thing I am going to stop taking. One thing I had NEVER mentioned to anyone is that there are many times that I have wished that I had access to my husbands Nitro pills . I have been having little twinges of chest pain and some even in my left arm. They are just for a very short time and I have had no other symptoms with them. I have never felt like I needed to drive myself to our local Heart Hospital which is just right down the road from us. It's close enough that I knew when Charlie had his heart attack that I could get him there sooner than the time it would have taken an ambulance. So she is going to talk it over with the doctor and will probably have a stress test. I have had 2 of them in the past but the last one was 7 years ago. So I am to take a daily B/P record, write down any weird things going on and see her in 2 weeks. I knew that this would be a search for what is wrong and not an easy answer since my B/P is up and down and up some more. It is never less that 120 and that is really rare. I am normally hypertensive.

OK, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's after noon already. I went to the medical lab this morning where they took a lot of blood for all the blood tests ordered by my new doc. It's funny, in the past when I had to do a fasting blood test it was murder going that long without eating. Now, it's no big deal at all. I know it was all mental.

Then we went to the Y. I did my weight machines and hubby did whatever he does. He does about five minutes on each of about six cardio machines, then lifts a few weights and he's done. Can't quite figure it out, but that's ok. Then came home and had breakfast. Then I walked 3 miles through our neighborhood. Came home and watered the garden, then came inside and fell sound asleep in my chair. That is not like me at all. I've had a bad headache this morning, which may be from stopping that med, so a little nap helped.

Speaking of my garden, I think I screwed up on that. I didn't know what I was doing and planted my tomatoes way too close together. I had no idea those teenie tiny little plants would get so big! And I kept meaning to put tomato cages on them, but never got around to it, so now we're trying to figure out a way to hold them up. It's a solid mass of plants and you can't get to the ones in the middle very easily. Hubby picked me a handful of cherry tomatoes last night, and they were really good. We have one big cucumber and several small zucchinis, but I don't know when to pick them. But the corn is growing very slowly. I'm not sure it's going to work at all. Zucchini sure is a pretty plant.

Well, I have got to get busy. Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here's the joke of the day:

:laugh:

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 mi/gal."

Recently General Motors addressed this comment by releasing the statement: "Yes, but would you want your car to crash twice a day?"

Not only that, but....

Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.

Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

Occasionally, executing a maneuver would cause your car to stop and fail and you would have to re-install the engine. For some strange reason, you would accept this too.

You could only have one person in the car at a time, unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT". But, then you would have to buy more seats.

Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast, twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five percent of the roads.

The Macintosh car owners would get expensive Microsoft upgrades to their cars, which would make their cars run much slower.

The oil, gas and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.

New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

The airbag system would say "are you sure?" before going off.

If you were involved in a crash, you would have no idea what happened.

:laugh:
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

I am officially on summer vacation until Sept.! Would love to make that permanent, but need to wait to hear back about retirement. Do NOT want to go through another year like this one!! There were many bright spots. One was in a card from a student with phrases like "I don't mean to go off on a Opposite/adjacent, but I hope your summer is totally √ ! I hope you have a great radians x 180/Π of fun!"
    I have been reading your posts morning and evening, but have not had the time or clarity of mind to respond. Am looking forward to some down time this summer. Am going to go back to logging all of my food and exercise to try to loss a little more weight. I have held my own throughout the stress of the job which amazes me. In the past, I always gained lots of weight when stressed. I guess the new lifestyle is sticking with me!! Time to get serious and get the rest of this off! I am so encouraged by all you have accomplished. This group has helped me stay grounded this year. Thank you all!!

I am going to post daily goals as that seems to be as far ahead as my brain can handle right now.:ohwell:

Today I will make healthy choices and watch portion sizes.
    I will get at least 60 minutes of exercise.
    I will spend at least one hour doing something just for enjoyment.

Be back at the end of the day to report in and to hear all of your news!
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

It is raining here like crazy today. I used to enjoy the rain but now my mind goes to the sump pump in the basement and worry about the power going out. I don’t think I know how to dig out and start the generator! Oh to be a child and only worry about which puddle to jump in instead of a flooded basement!

Meg I laughed the other day when I saw your comment about veggie smoothies! The first one I tried smelled and looked like my lawn but it did taste a bit like apples.

BJ I also like the idea of listing things I’m thankful for, maybe it will help my weight loss attitude.

Sylvia I am growing corn for the first time this year. I tried some fresh from my neighbours garden last year and I have never had a better tasting piece of corn! Not sure how mine will do as my DH said he saw a chipmunk pulling some shoots out the other day and munching on them.

We are looking after our 2 granddaughters (6 and 8 years old) tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing them, but they tire me out. I am not very good on my feet as my knees are shot, so hoping we can do some crafty things etc.

All the best to everyone for the upcoming week end.

Cathy in NS
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Okay, yoyonomore, I need a little help. I get tangent and degree, but what's the other word? I'm guessing "degree" but not positive.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bj, for at least the last fifteen years I have written a short gratitude list every morning…..many things appear frequently and others are new each day……it starts my day by helping me focus on what is right about my life…..I highly recommend it….it’s nice to see that there is research to back up when I found through personal experience and the experience of the friend who suggested it to me…..I log my exercise on MFP and more on the days that I’m more active……I would collapse if I didn’t

:flowerforyou: I had a short lunch break between line dance classes and enjoyed having my lunch with all of you:bigsmile: :heart:

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • dlpappas
    dlpappas Posts: 14
    Options
    Happy Thursday, all.

Thanks to those who commented on converting steps to calories - very helpful and much appreciated! I converted today's walk to calories and burned well over 200.

Sylvia - love the joke and sent it to our IT guys! :laugh: On a previous post, you wrote about your cardiologist - I agree with others' comments, he should be jumping for joy at all you're doing!

Joyce - Welcome back and good luck with the tests. It's a good thing you talked with your dr. about the twinges and pains - nothing to put off or ignore!

Welcome rainboese - you will find lots of help, encouragement and laughs with this group!

Jane - I see in past posts that you're moving again. You've had so much going on the past few years and I remember you were so happy when you moved into your current home. HUGS: to you, dear Jane!

Cindy in OK - congrats on the lb! :drinker:

To those taking metoprolol, my husband was on it for a few months and the dr. took him off of it as it made him hallucinate!

Someone mentioned a pretzel salad. Sounds interesting and I'd be interested in the recipe.

Has anyone used one of those magic bullets? Heard some good things about it and thought about buying one, but if it does the same thing a blender does, then I won't bother.

Prayers for all those with challenges and problems.:heart:

Have a great day, ladies!

Diane
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy thurs.
    Got good and bad news today.
    Good news,the path results came back from D&c,normal.She thinks my body is producing too much estrogen,suggested loosing wt,which I know.Finished pt,just need to work on ex.at home.
    Bad news.the land lady failed to let us know the house is up for sale July 10.She knew from april.So upset.
    Checked out a house,more than we can afford,but we`ll see.Not many houses for rent here.
    Praying something comes thru.
    Hugs
    jane
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,743 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies,
    girls got in ok at 12:45 am, got them home and settled and finally fell asleep myself around 3 am, then up a 4:45 am, and i was off...went grocery shopping and went to a couple of different stores, came home and put some of it away.. both the girls still snoozing.. went back out to get my hair cut going to frihofers and sams and to get gas in the car... I got 10.00 worth of reward points from Walgreens so I used it to get my DFIL a box of candy for while we are away.... stopped and brought that down to him, then came home and started cooking
    The dozen blueberry muffins that I had made for the trip where inhaled over the last 7-8 hrs , so I had to make more, they went through a bag of dorito's and a 1/2 gallon of lemonade..then made fried chicken mashed and corn for dinner,but since they were eating all day they didnt eat great at dinner.
    I made rice krispie treats, brownies, and more muffins, have 4 bags packed, one with all the breads,one with the fruits and veggies,I have the cooler ready to go, just have to fill it in the morning and go buy ice...
    I am just siting down now from 4:45 this morning, and have a load of laundry in the wash, will get it in the dryer and then bring it up fold it and put it away and collapse into bed..
    again, my husband was on me about all the groceries..
    I said dont you understand that we are feeding ourselves and 2 teenagers for a week , breakfast lunch dinner and snacks?
    and I spend probably around over the past 3 weeks getting ready close to 400.00
    if they can go through a dozen muffins in that amount of time, I am hoping I got enough food:noway:
    I got my 10,000 steps in without formal exercise, except running all over the place...
    well if I have time will check in in the am.. will see you probably a week from saterday..
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Barbie, I keep a gratitude list as well. I don't write everyday, but it does keep you aware of what is good and right in your life.

Have a good night everyone.

Cindy in OK
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Nice day here weather-wise. I like the idea of the 3 things to be thankful for each morning. A little bit ago, some of us were keeping track of random acts of kindness.
    I got a young worker in trouble today with a question I asked about company policy and I feel terrible that he got horribly yelled at in a very nasty manner, tried to intervene to no avail.......stayed and spoke to him later in an effort to make him feel a bit better........it was pretty awful to witness. Thinking about if I should try to go higher but not sure if it would just be like kicking a hornets nest.

Meg..........I caught up to that AARP mag with the article on bear attacks at the dr. office, thought of you. We had a young male killed by a car last week a few blocks from where I live.............I would rather not think of them being so close..........we have tons of runners on that route all the time.

Sylvia.........Showed DD and DH the latest joke; you are on a roll!!! My dad just tied up his tomato plants to stakes with lengths of material.

Bodi...............GO BODI!!!!!!

Patty...........By this time tomorrow you will have held your granddaughter!!!

yoyonomore..............tangent, radical, and radical degrees of fun????????

janemartin............Sorry to hear you are house hunting again; rotten landlord!!!! #$&&*$

Diane...........Glad to see you found the thread!

Suzy_in_De.............We can wave to each other from our respective beaches while on vacation next week!

Anyone else see the Time mag for June 23??????? According to them, the latest news is that a lot of what we've been told for decades is off as far as food goes.........Yep, another one of those stories. The front (and I realize they have an objective to sell, sell ,sell) says simply "Eat Butter. Scientists labeled fat the enemy. Why they were wrong" Interesting read.

G'nite all,
    yanniejannie
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Alliison I think those kids need to help you some. It's called responsibility

Doctor's office called back this afternoon after the nurse practitioner had a chance to discuss me with the doctor. I'm sure he didn't like me not telling him about me having twinges of chest pain but he knows me and how stubborn I am, also am the queen of procrastinators. Anyway I am to have a tilt table test. I will have to read up on this test since it has been a long time but I think what it is they first get an IV access then I am out on a table lying flat. They gradually increase the incline so until either I am completely upright or I pass out which ever comes first. In a way I hope I pass out because it is back to the drawing board if the test is negative. Anyway, that is scheduled for next Wednesday morning at 7:30. Jo:laugh: kingly I asked if that was AM!!!! I just don't do mornings! And I have to have a driver which of course will be Charlie. Neither one of us do mornings. But we will. Knowing him he will want to stop by McDonalds on the way home:grumble: Problem is after something like that test I will be tempted to also. And it's right on the way home.:sad:

Joyce, Indiana
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    In a funk today, birthday on Monday turning 60 don't know if that is it or just a funk. Looking forward to tomorrow having my 5 yr old GS come spend the nite. We will have what ever he wants for dinner, we usually have a routine Pizza and then we go in the hot tub. Then we climb into my bed and he can watch cartoons until he falls asleep. Love him to pieces. My GD is 2 she is a handful, and will probably cry when she doesn't get to stay :(.....

Need exercise motivation, going on vacation in a couple weeks and was hoping to have lost more weight. But moving and drinking my water. This weekend will probably be a birthday weekend, starting with Wine on Saturday and not sure what the kids have planned.

Keep up the good work ladies
    Sherry So CA
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Wanted to share an NSV with y'all...I've had a very long and very tiring day (didn't get home until 8 p.m. and had to leave to take my son to work at 8:30 p.m.) and wanted a milkshake in the worst way. I was pulling out of the parking lot to come home and was justifying why I deserved a milkshake. Suddenly, I said to myself, "I want to lose weight more than I want a milkshake!" I turned my car in the direction of home WITHOUT going by the milkshake place. This has been a real struggle for me over the past month and I'm relieved that determination stepped up to the plate!

Also had a minor blowup with my son. It's been brewing for a while. He has been dragging his feet about getting stuff done in the house. Even worse, he's undoing what I've already half killed myself doing. I think when he saw me tear up tonight that it finally hit him that I haven't been joking about the amount of stress he is causing me. I hope he keeps that in mind tomorrow when he wants to sleep all day. He is at work now and is not due to get off until 2 a.m. so he will get to sleep late, but not all day. I work a short day tomorrow and he's going to be working in the house right beside me when I get home!

Alison, the kids should be able to help but DS needs to get through his head that this is your vacation, too, and step up.

Since I don't have to be up to bring the boy child home at 2 a.m., I am going to bed early tonight! I'm also skipping the Ambient in favor of a muscle relaxer before I break every tooth in my head from clenching them so tightly in my sleep!

Good night from Carol in suddenly rainy NC