One meal a day

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Reality is this.... Do what works for you. Some people like to eat a little, often. Some don't. I have lost weight on IF pretty quickly .. there are a lot of benefits for ME Personally (Not based on science article, just my personal experience)

When eating one meal a day I (again, just me) Feel:
    - Its a real easy rule "DON'T EAT' -
    don't have to worry about scheduling or planning the day of food so I don't go over. Not counting points or filling out
    spreadsheets

-With Only 1 meal a day, I naturally want to make it an excellent one
    I look forward to eating, and plan a great home cooked meal. I stop at the store and get fresh ingredients, try new recipes
    more often. I don't have to plan/prep/cook 3 meals a day .. just one, the effort is lowered and the satisfaction is raised.

- I feel a lot more open to new foods and veggies I previously didn't like
    I hated onions really hated them. When a recipe called for them, i would as little as possible. When fasting I could really
    taste the sweetness of the onion like never before. Now I add them all the time, same with broccoli and peppers. Food does
    seem to taste a lot different when fasting (again, FOR ME)

- If I eat a big meal at night, I can fall right to sleep
    I am not super hungry at night as I used to be. I eat that one big meal and I am good for the rest of the night. I don't know if
    anyone else tends to go over calories especially in the evening, but I used to all the time. I would do well all day and then
    mess it up at night.

- Super easy to track
    Because its one big meal its pretty easy to enter into MFP and be totally accurate. I didn't forget to add a snack or extra side
    of ranch with lunch salad.

- Naturally become more resilient to temptation
    I found once I could fast for a few days, I became more confident about saying no to food I used to eat all the time, that I really
    loved.

- Blood sugar lower for longer
    Please note: The following is what I have learned on my own internet research, as such it may or may not be true, please
    take it with a grain salt
    I found that fat oxidization levels are at a mere 10% - 20% percent after eating, at about 4 hours after eating they jump to 50%
    and after 6 hours its up to 80%. The Idea being I want to burn more longer and as efficiently as possible. The moment you
    you eat food, your blood sugar goes up and fat oxidization level drops to nearly nothing and has to restart that climb back to
    the top. You could probably accomplish a similar result with a low glycemic index diet as well.

The list goes on and on... I have tried a lot "Diets" but this simple rule of DON'T EAT seems to have lead me to healthier eating habits not through a program or rules or policies but through my own inner-personal desire.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Thanks.:)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: OMAD works.

Nuff said. :wink:
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: OMAD works.

Nuff said. :wink:
    Huh

One meal a day
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I couldnt do it because I turn into super cranky lady if I dont eat regularly, but if it works for you, why not, I wish you all the best :flowerforyou:
  • prettygirl326
    Options
    You're right. The last reserve your body pulls from is protein. When you do water facts for a very longtime, you start by losing water weight, then fat then muscle. Once the body is done pulling from stored glycogen, it will burn fat at a high rate converting it to energy.
  • vinyladdict
    vinyladdict Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My wife and I started eating one meal per day on Monday the 16th. I'm 6'5" and started at 341, while my wife is 5'2" and started at 154. Water consumption for myself is about 1 to 1.5gal per day, while my wife drinks between .5 to .75 gal perday. Since then, I have lost 14 lbs while my wife has lost 6.5. Other than normal chores around the house, we have been mainly sedentary. I've read articles and forums about this lifestyle, and a lot of people eat what they want within a two hour window per day. I would love grill up cheeseburgers, bake pizzas and eat pastas once a day to lose weight, but it's not optimal. I used to weigh about 425 and lost over 100 eating high protein with low carb veggies. The past couple of years I've been up and down, eating small meals per day and counting calories, to come home to same bland dinner of a protein and veggies. It got old after a while.

What I like about this diet is that I can have some carbs when I get home. A medium sized red potato, a few pieces of sushi, an ear of corn, a serving of baked beans, a slice of cornbread, whatever. I've read that you can stay in ketosis if you can be within 50g of carbs per day. We also incorporate one caloric beverage, that's not a soda, into our diet. I have a beer while my wife has a glass of Fusion juice. Dinner just tastes so good and it's not as boring as eating the same type of meals to lose weight gets. Coming home to a huge salad, medium tater, a lean burger, and a tasty beer makes me feel a little more normal.

There's a difference from feeling a hunger pain and thinking you're starving and actually starving. Water curbs hunger quite well. If you need a small snack to get you through the day, just make it a healthy one.

I feel great, have lots of energy, and have been sleeping like a bear. Waking up 10-12 nights a night is down to about 2-3 now.
  • ljb304
    ljb304 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Also a don't knock it until you try it note for those who say they couldn't got that long without food or they would have no energy, be cranky, etc.

I thought that too, but still decided to give fasting a try. I've never been less cranky in my life (except with my husband but there's no help for that :wink: ) and I have more energy than ever too.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm a two meals a day kind of girl. I've never been keen on breakfast, not even as a kid. Breakfast was thing I had to force myself to eat because lunch was too late in the day for me to get to without starving completely to death. If left to my own devices I would eat my first meal around 10 am. This was clearly not compatible with school. Now that I"m an adult and have a fairly flexible job, I can push lunch off until 11 with the help of a cup of coffee. Another cup in the afternoon to tide me over until dinner. Dinner is the big meal. This arrangement works well for me because when I was regularly eating breakfast and dieting, I didn't have enough calories left over to fit in a good sized portion of the meals I could actually cook. Solution was to cut out breakfast and save the calories so I could have a nice dinner. I don't miss breakfast at all - I can sleep in a bit now instead of having to get up and eat. I also found that even when I did eat a 300-400 calories breakfast at 7 am I was starving to death by 11 am. One cup of coffee around 9 am now and I'm barely hungry come 11. Eating more frequently actually makes me MORE hungry. A large meal once a day can hold me for 12 hours though. Go figure.
  • vinyladdict
    vinyladdict Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It is still an adjustment that I am not eating 3-4 small meals and then dinner everyday, but I feel incredibly normal doing one meal a day. My wife and I are enjoying the consistent losses in weight, uptick in energy, and better sleep. Everyone that I have talked to about our lifestyle change have been highly critical except for one person. There are pluses and negatives to any kind of diet one may partake in. However, I see eating one large healthy meal a day a lifestyle change and in no way a, "Fad diet."