WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Replies

• Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Happy Canada day!! I'm at work today because we were closed yesterday. It's so quiet.

I don't know where the days go, they seem to zip by so quickly. It feels like ages since I've been able to keep up with the group.

I had a NSV on Saturday. A dear friend's daughter had a destination wedding so they were having a drop in get together on Saturday for her & her new hubby. It was a buffet but I didn't eat a thing. I thought of Barbie and I took my bottle of water and sipped on that for the afternoon. They had soooooo many sweets which don't really tempt me but it's the crackers/cheese/chips and the dip...oh the dip. :laugh: I felt so amazing walking out of there (except that I got a bit of heat stroke) that I didn't cave at all no matter how many people asked if I wanted something to eat.

This weekend is when I'm supposed to be meeting my brother for the first time in almost 25 years. We set the date of July 6th but we haven't set the place yet.

Stay cool and drink lots of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:heart: Sandy in warm ON
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Hi Everyone,

Happy July and Happy Canada to all of our friends up north! My June goal was to lose 1 more pound, done. My goals going forward are to maintain my weight loss, tone my muscles more, and long term goal is to keep up these healthy habits and lose maybe 2-3 more pounds. I am very happy with my progress so far.

Barbie, thanks for the new thread for July. I understand how we can fall back into our old eating patterns. I'm catching myself slipping often now that I'm am trying to maintain. :smile:

Renny, happy birthday! :flowerforyou:

Heather, your food sounds delish as always. Congratulations on how successful you've been on this journey.:flowerforyou:

Sandy, congratulations on your NSV. I hope your meeting with your brother is a happy one!:smile:

Patty, congratulations on your new grand baby! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smile:

Welcome everyone new.:flowerforyou:

Hugs to all I missed. :heart:

Cindy in OK
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Hello to all and welcome to all newcomers: Mostly just marking my place, will put in goals later. Working today on cleaning and organizing files. I am great at procrastinating when it comes to this job, yuck! I can sympathize with all of you with sugar problems. I have the same thing and really do think it is a type of addiction. Last week I did a sugar detox, lean protein, veggies and nuts only for three days. This week I added back one dairy serving and two fruit servings. I was doing great until Sunday when I had to be at church early and was there until late afternoon. Ate sugary things although not over calories and yesterday the cravings were not good. Back on track now and today cravings do not seem so bad.

Got online to see my medical chart. This is something new here that they have started. Was able to read doctor's notes from my last couple of visits and I do not like being described as " a pleasant 65-year-old lady who is morbidly obese". This weight has got to go!!!!

Renny - Happy Birthday!

Patty - Congratulations on new grandbaby.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Been awol for a few weeks and glad to be back. Bumping in on the new thread.

Happy birthday, Rennie and Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian friends.

Jill from western MA
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Happy Canada Day. A hot one here. I just started back so I had no June goals

July goals

1. Track my food
    2 limit alcohol
    3. Exercise more
    4 lose 5 pounds this month
    5. Eat fresh fruit instead of junk food

Susan from eastern ontario
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :flowerforyou: Sandy, congratulations on your success at the buffet……drinking water and eating nothing seems to be easier than taking a bite of something…..as long as my mouth doesn’t have a taste of cheese, it’s OK but after one taste I’m in trouble.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, now that I’m maintaining, I let myself have occasional days when I eat what’s served instead of going to great lengths to stay with my plan and whenever I do, I’m sorry…..certain foods just don’t sit well in my digestive system. I just took some ground turkey out of the freezer tomorrow so we’ll be sure to have our regular style meal tomorrow when the company is gone.

:flowerforyou: My two grandsons who are visiting, think that the exercise bike and the hand weights are the greatest things to entertain themselves here---they keep saying “I’m exercising”.

:flowerforyou: I went outside to work in the yard and heard the sound of a chain saw and found a huge tree being cut down at the end of the block so I stayed out to watch starting with the guy half way up the tree cutting off branches all the way to the final cutting down on the last part and falling without hitting the house or the garage.

:flowerforyou: We’re supposed to go to lunch soon but I have no idea where they’ve chosen to go.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington where it promises to be a warm 75 degrees today
  • sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    It was a nice walk to my weigh in, I lost 2.2 lbs from last Tuesday, it amazes me as for years the scales only went up !

Katla, Monroe is about 35 miles north east of Seattle, the next biggest city to me is Everett, which is 17 miles north west of me.
    Monroe is a small town surrounded by dairy farms, horse breeders, tons of plant nurseries and now that the marijuanana is le g al to sell and grow, there are growing businesses popping up as well. Funny how things change !
    Where are you located in Oregon ? You live in a beautiful state, so clean and green, we love the Coastal Region !

Our whether is supposed to rea c h the 90's today, all of my flowers are watered, lets pray they hold up.

It was so nice to see new comers to our lil group today, as I love to read all of the different stories and gain knowledge from everyone who participates I love our sisterhood!

I am off to the yard, gonna get my tan on.

Have a great day all !!!

Carol in Monroe
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Carol, I live in a little town about 20 miles north of Portland right beside the Columbia River. I love it here. I find that living in a small town near a big city is perfect for me. We have all the advantages of both.:flowerforyou:
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Good morning and Happy 1st of July:drinker: . Can't believe the year is half over already, just flying by. Today was weigh in day and I am down .6. I admit yesterday before the day was done I did over do. Today is new day and back on track.
    Did about half of my goals so going to keep acouple for another month.

Sylvia--Great NSV! Sounds like you are having a good trip. So happy for you.:smile:

Patty--Congrates on the new DGD.:heart:

Welcome to all the new ladies. You have found a great group. Come back often.:flowerforyou:

Katiebug--thats the style. I see people coming into the hospital all the time and have their shirts or pants inside out.:laugh:

Happy Canada day to all of you in that area. Barbie Thank you so much for keeping us going. :heart:

Sandy--Congrates on your NSV. Good Luck with your brother this weekend. I have a brother (Half, same dad, different mom) Mike that is from May 30 to March 2 older then me. I have never met him and until acouple years ago I did not know for sure where he was. Anyway he has called me once and we plan to meet sometime???????? He is real bitter towards my dad, which I don't blame him, but he needs to have peace with it. He did FINALLY friend me on facebook, so do get to see his posts.

sue--I am not sure I would want to read what my doctor says about me.:blushing: But I do think the idea that a doctor from anywhere can get your records anywhere.
    My goals for June I finished about half way. My goals for July are:
    1. Log everybite-
    2. Walk the dogs atleast 4x's a week.
    3. Drink more water
    4. List 3 things each day I am Thankful for.
    Enjoy this day as it is a gift from God.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Checking in for July
    JUNE'S GOAL:
    Cw-173
    GW-169 (yes) lost 4 lbs
    Body Pump- 2x's a week (yes)
    Cardio circuit-2x's a week (no)
    Walk/hike- 3x's a week (yes)
    Log daily- yes
    Post to thread daily (no)
    8+ glasses of water daily (yes)

July' s Goal
    GW-165
    CW-169
    Body Pump 2x's a week
    Step aerobics 2x's a week
    Walk/hike 4x's a week
    Log daily
    Post daily
    10+ glasses of water daily

Brenda from Md
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    Happy Canada Day!
    :heart:
    MNMargaret
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Tatiana, there is no set rules in our posting. You do just what you are comfortable doing. I know that posting about our lives helps us get to know each other and be closer. It has helped me in that by posting about day to day things it has given me insight in what some of my stressors are that I didn't know about, helped me set goals that are not diet related at all. All that makes me stronger which helps me in my eating.

To whoever it was who read the doctor's record, at least your doctor said you were pleasant!

Well if you notice, my ticker says 59 pounds lost now!!!!!! Jumping up and down and celebrating. I weigh every day and boy does it fluctuate but I only count it once a week. so yesterday when my weight was right at where it was last time I showed loss I knew I was getting close to losing again. I don't know why I don't just steadily or at least once every 2 weeks show an ounce or so. But I tend to just lose a pound all of a sudden. Well this month it was 1.2 pounds! I started in Oct 2012 232.8 and this morning was 173.4. I got off, fed the cat and took care of her litter box and then weighed again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. But it was the same! So I will take it.

Last night I had nightmares about my tilt table test. Well not the test itself but the fact that when I got there, they were horsing around so I got disgusted, got off the table and started walking around. It was at this point some one comes running in the room with something that look like an Ipad with a heart rhythm and showing something terribly wrong. They never said it was my rhythm but they were saying they needed to get her to surgery for an immediate pace maker.

Glad to see so many more people make this wonderful commitment to their health and life. welcome, join in, tell us about yourself and what we can do to help.

Joyce, Indiana
  • ouray12
    ouray12 Posts: 68 Member
    July 1st and a new month and a restart for me. Goal-setting and support sound great. I'm 57 (58 on the 12th), problems with arthritis for the past year. Hate the pain, life is too short and I truly believe the right foods, exercise and weight loss is my only option to a better, healthier life.

Goals for July: 1) eat healthy
    2) log every day
    3) check in every day
    4) walk 3-4 days a week
    5) rest, relax & enjoy life every day!!

Hope you don't mind me joining,
    Karen from Texas
  • Hello ... I'm Clark's Mom, AKA Cathy

I'm new to MFP ... weight has been an issue in my life since my teens, Have had some good years and some bad ones. I find myself very close to my all-time high so I thought I'd use the start of a new month to get going.

Today I weight in at 233. I'd like to lose 75lbs by the end of 2015 and arrive under 200 by the end of the year. My 11 yo son is away for the summer with his dad, so my intention is to use these next two months to work on myself.

Goals for July would be:

* Exercise 4 days each week.
    * Stick to a plant-based diet as much as I can.
    * Get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep each night.

That's it. Pleased to be here.
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Cathy welcome. I think it is wonderful that you have a month for yourself and what a good time to not only lose weight, but also to get healthier for your son

Good luck. New month new start
    Susan from eastern ontario
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Hi everyone. Happy Canada Day! It was gorgeous here on the East Coast of Canada. We walked to town and we were dancing in the street to all kinds of oompahpah :D It took a lot of mindfulness to stick to my goal of eating regularly. Lunch would have been easy to skip or leave to "grabbing something" at the festivities. Instead I managed to make something good and be half an hour later than I'd planned. My goals have to be my priority! Today I also went out in to my garden and took a hoe and a heavy metal rake to a couple of areas of seriously compacted and grassless soil. We are talking 10X14' expanses times 2 plus some other smaller patches. I broke up all this soil plus some sodded areas then mixed clover seed with soil. This required carrying several huge bags of soil about half an acre. Then I scooped the soil-seed mixture by the bucket-full and broadcast it around the patches. After that I had to haul more bags of topsoil and put some of that on top of the seed-soil mixture. Then I planted about 20 bugle weed plants (a pretty ground cover), some irises and some things I don't know the name of that are a lighter green ground cover. When I was finished I discovered that the winter ate my hose. So I had to water the whole business one watering can at a time... walking back and forth to the spigot. It's amazing how hard I can work now I'm in better shape and how long I can go with this type of "exercise" or "work-xercise" and barely notice it! I'm often counting the minutes in the gym. At supper I piled half my plate high with lettuce and kale. These are NOT foods I really enjoy but I made it to my goal of 5 veggies today by sheer determination and awareness.

My July Goals:
    1. Drink 10 cups of water daily (starting with a glass of water with lemon in it before anything else)
    2. Eat regular meals and snacks (nothing factory processed, minimize sugar)
    3. 5 veggies a day (will allow one to be a fruit)
    4. Keep the MFP diaries and post daily
    5 Exercise 6 days/week (2 aerobics classes; 3 treadmill at gym; plus one other such as swimming, bicycling, gardening)

Thanks to all of you for being here :)
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Hi Friends,
    What a blessing it was to spend the entire month of June at home, especially the one week I took as a stay-cation. Took myself on day trips to nearby lakes and rivers which I have taken for granted for years. Got a charge out of stand up paddle boarding, which uses a lot of core muscles. Loved it! Cooked a lot of wholesome meals and made exquisite variations of infused waters (mint and melon together is especially refreshing). After months of reading Michelle post about it, I finally tried a deep water exercise class. What a GREAT workout. End result is I am tanned, rested and down 1.5 pounds. :happy: :happy: :happy: :glasses:

Next week I’ll be back on the road: Kansas City, Emporia, New York, Delaware coast and Baltimore. Will keep logging and working very hard to keep balanced and disciplined. :drinker:

Thank you, Barbie for your stalwart presence and for keeping us going month after month. :flowerforyou: Thank you Vitamin F friends for continuing to make this a safe and nurturing space to share, read, lurk and learn. I treasure you all. :heart:

Here’s to a great July.

June Report card:
    Strength training 90 minutes per week. B+ :wink:
    Try out an aquatics class and check out Masters swim. B- (will carry over masters swim to July) :ohwell:
    Three times a week, consume fewer than 50 carbs. Less wheat the better. B+ :bigsmile:
    Pick up the phone and call a friend or relative 1x per week just to check in. C- :frown:
    On a daily basis, list 5 things I’m grateful for. A- :love: :love: :love:

July Goals:
    Try out master’s swim
    45 minutes of cardio 5x/week
    Minimize sugar and wheat
    Read ‘Strong Women Stay Young’
    Call a friend or relative 1x per week

My word for 2014 "Release"

Rori in the Colorado Foothills where's it's a beautiful 70 degree day
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Oh my, left the message on the last post....missed the new link....

Here goes again...

HAPPY CANADA DAY TO THE CANUCKS....enjoy the latest "beer fridge" instalment....could you open the fridges
    placed all over the world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t41wNkGvJ9k

and have a great day......we are having yet another full day of company..

Have a great evening everyone!

BJ, SWOntario, CA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :flowerforyou: BJ, I'm wearing my Canada t shirt today in honor of Canada Day....I bought it a few years ago when we were in BC the week of Canada Day.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I loved the beer commercial....thanks for sharing it.:bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where yesterday at lunch we could see the shores of Vancouver Island from our table.
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Hi ladies:flowerforyou:
    Simple goals for July:
    Log every day
    Some form of exercise 3x a week
    Try not to eat all my exercise calories...mindful eating

Jogged in the pool today after work...great for exercise and mental health...one day at a time

Welcome to the newcomers..hugs and high fives
    :heart:
    Jen in ny where it is definitely summer with hot and humid air:smile: