Who knew sexism in churches still exists.

T_Ciku
T_Ciku Posts: 133 Member
My church had a special service yesterday and part of it had this prayer printed on leaflets that were handed out to the congregation. I wasn't able to make it but my mom went and brought back a copy of this prayer. I am so infuriated by it, and by the fact that I wasn't there to say something.

Basically it had different portions for sisters and brothers and fathers and mothers and stuff. The men's parts talked about stuff like "help us to be rivers of pride and prosperity to our families," and "help us to be assets of strength to our families," while the women's parts said, "help us to add a touch of beauty and grace to our families," and "help us to be sources of warmth and encouragement to our families." On the outside it doesn't seem like such a big deal but the wording makes me so angry.

Women are told to ask to be a touch of beauty. That wording sounds gentle and delicate. Men are assets of strength, which makes them sound strong and firm, like pillars. And who said women can't ask God to be both prosperous and warm? It was so sexist. I didn't see the need to divide the prayer into two genders. Both men and women can ask for both things, (though asking to be a touch of beauty for men does seem a bit funny. :)

The fact that this came from a church is what made me furious. That they're still peddling these stereotypical, outdated gender roles is telling.

Replies

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    I think you're a wee bit too sensitive.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Sounds like a load of rubbish to me. And since when was Christ ever keen on prosperity, anyway? The preacher is supposed to be talking about feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, visiting the imprisoned, doing unto others as you would have done unto you, and turning the other cheek. Something men and women can both do.
  • T_Ciku
    I think you're a wee bit too sensitive.

I thought so too at first but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it's wrong. It's sticking to the old stereotypes of men are the pillars and providers, and women are the homemakers. But anyone can be both. It's fair game these days.
  • T_Ciku
    Sounds like a load of rubbish to me. And since when was Christ ever keen on prosperity, anyway? The preacher is supposed to be talking about feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, visiting the imprisoned, doing unto others as you would have done unto you, and turning the other cheek. Something men and women can both do.

Haha! Maybe the preacher did talk about that in the sermon. I wouldn't know since I wasn't there. But that prayer is a load of rubbish. :)
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    I'm going to start off by saying I'm an atheist- and I'm not here to debate about that- or convince anyone of anything - but that was one of the issues I had with just about all religion - is that it was still so sexist.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    This is why I do not go for any organized religion of any kind.
  • Monnix39
    Monnix39 Posts: 127
    I have heard it said that the number one cause for atheism is organized religion...
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Uhhh jusst look at women not being allowed to become priests in the Catholic Church. If that isn't blatant sexism in a religion, I don't know what is.
  • DrFlave
    DrFlave Posts: 59 Member
    Sexism in church? Shocking!

“Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." - Timothy 2:11

“…the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.” 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

“Wives, be submissive to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.” Ephesians 5:21-24

“….and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be sensible, chaste, domestic, kind, and submissive to their husbands, that the word of God may not be discredited…. Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect…” Titus 2:4-9
  • This content has been removed.
  • Meerataila
    I have heard it said that the number one cause for atheism is organized religion...

In my case it was people in general. I was raised Christian, and never could figure out why it seemed no one had read the same words I had.

Saw a bumper sticker the other day that illustrates it perfectly:

God Bless our Troops.

Especially the Snipers.

I wanted to get out and beat the driver over the head with an especially thick Bible.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    I am convinced the Church was created by men to destroy respect in women. Js
  • *keeping silent*
  • T_Ciku
    Uhhh jusst look at women not being allowed to become priests in the Catholic Church. If that isn't blatant sexism in a religion, I don't know what is.

I've always disagreed 100% with Catholicism. Protestant all the way!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    the shocking thing here is that this is news to OP
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    This thread is going to get locked... Then deleted. I can see it coming...
  • T_Ciku
    Sexism in church? Shocking!

“Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." - Timothy 2:11

“…the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.” 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

“Wives, be submissive to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.” Ephesians 5:21-24

“….and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be sensible, chaste, domestic, kind, and submissive to their husbands, that the word of God may not be discredited…. Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect…” Titus 2:4-9

Okay, I haven't come across these in my Bible reading. I definitely would never have survived in those times. But I will say that no church I know follows these. No one expects women to be silent and ask questions at home only. Women preachers are just as successful as the men. Joyce Meyer, anyone? And the thing about being submissive to your husband. It's not literal, there's a meaning to that.
  • T_Ciku

The shocking thing here is that you seem baffled by the idea that there are people who may not have come across the same information you have.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    *keeping silent*
    This.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    If you don't think there is sexism in church/religion you haven't been paying attention.

^this.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member

This is why I'm Methodist...I've never been part of a church that didn't have some sort of sexism and/or racism/discrimination against a particular sex/race/other religion. That was, until I started visiting and reading up on the Methodist church. The Southeast Conference of the Methodist church also has a female district superintendent. :)
  • T_Ciku
    Sorry, still relatively inexperienced on forums. Are threads about religion taboo or something? Why would it get deleted/locked, whatever locking is?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member

The shocking thing here is that you seem baffled by the idea that there are people who may not have come across the same information you have.

i guess i assumed you knew things about the religion you follow.

i apologize for jumping to that conclusion.

ETA: damn...too big, and im too lazy to resize.
    sexist_by_dailyatheist-d36ok25.png
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    hoping this wasn't your first choice of places to go in order to discuss religion
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Next thing you know you'll find something controversial in the Bible!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    lol, whats the point in having a discussion where everyone agree's with you?
  • Meerataila

This is why I'm Methodist...I've never been part of a church that didn't have some sort of sexism and/or racism/discrimination against a particular sex/race/other religion. That was, until I started visiting and reading up on the Methodist church. The Southeast Conference of the Methodist church also has a female district superintendent. :)

I'm partial to Quakers myself. The only organized religious group that follows the core of Christ's teachings as I understood them from my reading.
This discussion has been closed.