Who knew sexism in churches still exists.

Options

Replies

• Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think you're a wee bit too sensitive.

This....
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    131266412815.gif
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if there is a God, i do not think he would be inclined to answer prayers.

there is no point in building a complex simulation, and then changing things just because the subjects there in are not happy lol
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Uhhh jusst look at women not being allowed to become priests in the Catholic Church. If that isn't blatant sexism in a religion, I don't know what is.

I've always disagreed 100% with Catholicism. Protestant all the way!

How can you disagree 100% with Catholicism and still be a Protestant? Catholics are Christians and so to disagree 100% with Catholicism, you'd have to disagree with all the teachings of Christianity. If you disagree with all the teachings of Christianity, wouldn't that make you a Satanist?

Haha, you got me. So maybe I don't disagree 100% with Catholicism. Hyperbole on my part. But I do disagree with some of the basic foundations of Catholicism, which does make me a Christian Protestant and definitely not a Satanist. And I think that not everyone who does disagree with all the teachings of Christianity automatically qualifies to be a Satanist. There are some Atheists in this thread, who are neither Christians nor Satanists.

For the sake of argument, I'd love to hear what basic foundations you disagree with.

(I'm going to go ahead and assume that you don't know much about Catholicism, since you obviously didn't know that sexism is a prevailing theme in the Bible perpetuated in every organized religion on the planet.)

My beliefs that have no basis in fact are better than your beliefs that have no basis in fact

But are you sure that your beliefs go against my beliefs of which you know nothing? :tongue:
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Sexism in church? Shocking!

“Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." - Timothy 2:11

“…the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.” 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

“Wives, be submissive to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.” Ephesians 5:21-24

“….and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be sensible, chaste, domestic, kind, and submissive to their husbands, that the word of God may not be discredited…. Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect…” Titus 2:4-9

Okay, I haven't come across these in my Bible reading. I definitely would never have survived in those times. But I will say that no church I know follows these. No one expects women to be silent and ask questions at home only. Women preachers are just as successful as the men. Joyce Meyer, anyone? And the thing about being submissive to your husband. It's not literal, there's a meaning to that.

Not unless you're in the Mormon church! LOL

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/06/23/kate_kelly_founder_of_ordain_women_excommunicated_by_the_mormon_church.html
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    You should join the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster. Pastafarianism sees no gender, race, or colour. Noodles love everyone equally.
    You forgot to mention the best part, you get to talk like a pirate, after all, he was boiled for our sins.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Uhhh jusst look at women not being allowed to become priests in the Catholic Church. If that isn't blatant sexism in a religion, I don't know what is.

How can you disagree 100% with Catholicism and still be a Protestant? Catholics are Christians and so to disagree 100% with Catholicism, you'd have to disagree with all the teachings of Christianity. If you disagree with all the teachings of Christianity, wouldn't that make you a Satanist?

Haha, you got me. So maybe I don't disagree 100% with Catholicism. Hyperbole on my part. But I do disagree with some of the basic foundations of Catholicism, which does make me a Christian Protestant and definitely not a Satanist. And I think that not everyone who does disagree with all the teachings of Christianity automatically qualifies to be a Satanist. There are some Atheists in this thread, who are neither Christians nor Satanists.

I was being facetious with the Satanist comment. :bigsmile: sorry about that. I've known Satanists and people who would be considered to be Satanists by most Christians even though they don't call themselves that, and I agree, they don't disagree 100% with Christianity. There is a lot of common ground even between Christians and Satanists.

I was being serious about the rest of the comment... people should be careful what they say, because you can end up saying things you don't actually mean at all.

Over the years I've been friends with quite a lot of Catholics, Protestants, Sunni Muslims and Shia Muslims, and found them all to be very nice people, and good Christians or Muslims. And the same about pretty much all the people of other religions I've met over the years, including Pagans and Satanists (among many others). There are extremists of all different religions and I hate the whole extremism mentality, but the vast majority of every religious population are not like that, they're nice people who follow the same basic rules about being nice, and a few others that vary according to religion such as whether or not they eat pork. Anyway, I guess my point is that religions (and non-religion) have far more in common than they have differences, and they're all basically nice people, apart from the (unfortunately very vocal) minority of extremists. I think emphasising the sameness between religions (and non-religion!) is important in combatting extremism.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It's a church whose teachings are based on the Bible. Not sure why you expected gender equality.

Hypothetical scenario: you have two cups. One cup is a tall drinking glass, another is a beautiful, precious piece of porcelain. Which do you use to drink water every day? Which do you use for a special occasion? Are they equal? They both hold liquids. They can both do the same things. But still, there is an undeniable difference between the two.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I think you're a wee bit too sensitive.

I thought so too at first but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it's wrong. It's sticking to the old stereotypes of men are the pillars and providers, and women are the homemakers. But anyone can be both. It's fair game these days.

Do you think women should play against men in the NFL? Instead of being cheerleaders? Since they are strong and not just pretty? Just curious....
  • vjtadeo
    vjtadeo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Catholic churches aren't the only one who doesn't allow women priests. Neither does the Mormon church?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    My beliefs that have no basis in fact are better than your beliefs that have no basis in fact

that sums up pretty much any religious argument, or argument concerning the existance of God
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, pride, prosperity, beauty and grace...terrible virtues to encourage in anyone of either sex or gender.

Sexism (and various other isms) may well be ingrained in various doctrines, in the case of the op, unless they were forbidding women to be points of pride and prosperity, and vice versa forbiding men to be the things mentioned for women, I'm not sure this is a case of sexism as much as it is a case of someone looking for something to be angry about.

Thats not to say that the attitudes that produced said encouragements weren't sexist, but unless its made clear, its just assumption. I could be wrong though...I'm reading this on my phone on a break at work. So I could have missed that part.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In before the lock!
    Oh man. I think you should do a bit more reading. Leviticus would be an excellent place to start. There are many things in there you will find shocking.
    What could you possibly find objectionable in the notion that a rape victim be forced to marry the perpetrator?

Or that a woman on her period must take a dove to temple for sacrifice since she is "unclean"?

Seriously. What the hell is wrong with dirty womenz?
  • T_Ciku
    T_Ciku Posts: 133 Member
    Options

For the sake of argument, I'd love to hear what basic foundations you disagree with.

(I'm going to go ahead and assume that you don't know much about Catholicism, since you obviously didn't know that sexism is a prevailing theme in the Bible perpetuated in every organized religion on the planet.)

If you really are that interested, feel free to send me a message and I'd love to discuss it with you. That is way off topic from what this thread is about, and it would start a whole other conversation. And considering how fast this is already moving, and how excited people are getting, I really don't want to add more topics to debate about.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    It's a church whose teachings are based on the Bible. Not sure why you expected gender equality.

Hypothetical scenario: you have two cups. One cup is a tall drinking glass, another is a beautiful, precious piece of porcelain. Which do you use to drink water every day? Which do you use for a special occasion? Are they equal? They both hold liquids. They can both do the same things. But still, there is an undeniable difference between the two.

don't think this does anything to smooth of gender issues within the bible lol
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My dad is a preacher of a non-denominational Christian church. He has always taught me to be a pillar of strength and a warrior. Not all churches or preachers are like this. He calls my mom his "Princess Warrior". We badass and we know it. He will say all day long that most women are stronger than men in most circumstances.

I thank God for a father AND preacher like that.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

that sums up pretty much any religious argument, or argument concerning the existance of God

Yup
  • T_Ciku
    T_Ciku Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be dragged into a pointless argument with a stranger over the internet. Have yourself a wonderful day. :)

You post a topic about religion, make statements that make it blatantly clear you haven't read the bible completely, justify your own version of Christianity with nothing more than personal opinion and personal preference, talk about religion like you were shopping for the best deal on drapes to match your furniture (church with the most views that fit your own)...

and then when someone disagrees, you don't have time to be dragged into a pointless argument with a stranger over the internet...

all the while, posting in a public forum...on the internet...addressing strangers.

Confused_Finn.gif

I refused to be dragged into the pointless argument because of a certain offensive picture the person posted. Again, it was not meant for anyone who disagrees with me. If you pay attention, I actually am responding and having conversations with people who have differing opinions.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be dragged into a pointless argument with a stranger over the internet. Have yourself a wonderful day. :)

Umm..what? Then maybe you shouldn't be posting on a public forum. You chose two highly volatile topics and so what did you expect? Everyone to agree with you and tell you how right and awesome you are for pointing this out?
This discussion has been closed.