Who knew sexism in churches still exists.

Options

Replies

• T_Ciku
    T_Ciku Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be dragged into a pointless argument with a stranger over the internet. Have yourself a wonderful day. :)

You post a topic about religion, make statements that make it blatantly clear you haven't read the bible completely, justify your own version of Christianity with nothing more than personal opinion and personal preference, talk about religion like you were shopping for the best deal on drapes to match your furniture (church with the most views that fit your own)...

and then when someone disagrees, you don't have time to be dragged into a pointless argument with a stranger over the internet...

all the while, posting in a public forum...on the internet...addressing strangers.

Confused_Finn.gif

I refused to be dragged into the pointless argument because of a certain offensive picture the person posted. Again, it was not meant for anyone who disagrees with me. If you pay attention, I actually am responding and having conversations with people who have differing opinions.

Posting a random general statement and not quoting the person you are referencing leads one to believe that the comment was meant for the thread as a whole.

Yes, it does. But if you'd taken literally one minute to read what was posted, you'd have read the part where I said I forgot to quote who I was talking to. Which is entirely possible given how many people I was replying to at the time.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    sexism still exists everywhere

so this is not a shock
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    sexism still exists everywhere

so this is not a shock

You'd think so....
  • Elaicea73
    Elaicea73 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Not trying to raise too much of a fuss... Just want to poke my nose in and make a tiny point pertaining to the "Satanist" comment... If someone totally disagrees with Catholicism, Christianity, etc... You absolutely can not be a Satanist... Use your noggin... Satan is contained... in the bible... If you're against/don't believe in Christianity, then by default, you cannot be a Satanist... because... you don't believe in him >.<

As for all the other stuff. I'm all for beauty and strength, but these days, single mothers have to be pillars as well as bring grace and beauty, and single fathers have to teach grace and beauty as well as be pillars. No matter what the bible, the sermon, the pamphlet, or your pastor says... Sometimes it's better to just disregard the information if it's not doing personal harm to you and yours. It's unnecessary stress and these days, we have so much unavoidable stress, why pile more on >.<

On a brighter note, I love everyone! :heart:

P. S. The golden rule is best!... Treat others as you would like to be treated. I taught it to my children and so many still teach it to theirs. But we forget to practice it ourselves :frown: So simple and so perfect. If everyone would live by it, the world would be glorious :bigsmile:
  • T_Ciku
    Options
    the entire bible does not suppress women... just look at Deborah, a judge. and like another poster stated, you have to take into context the culture at the time the bible was written. things are different now. whereas it says: men, it means today: human kind (all of us)

It's 2014 and we have come a long way, however, we still have a long way to go, imho.

Thank you for saying this. Unfortunately too many people believe the whole Bible should be taken completely literally.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It exists everywhere else; why not church? Prayer is a waste of time anyway. Just ignore it :)

I was healed instantly from gallbladder disease because of prayer. Instantly.

Oh? Do you have anything other than personal experience/anecdote to verify that?

5 doctors in 2 states said I'd have to have my gallbladder removed. I was having attacks about 3 times a week. the first time I had one I thought I would die, the pain was so excrutiating. I was in the middle of a gallbladder attack when I was prayed over in the name of Jesus. I ran, threw up all over my bathroom, and all the pain was gone. I haven't had a gallbladder attack since that day, nearly six years now.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever played Cards Against Humanity? :devil:

*munches popcorn*
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hypothetical scenario: you have two cups. One cup is a tall drinking glass, another is a beautiful, precious piece of porcelain. Which do you use to drink water every day? Which do you use for a special occasion? Are they equal? They both hold liquids. They can both do the same things. Equal and different, with the weaker vessel given preferential treatment, and the drinking glass used for its strength.

In my entire life I have never had someone call me a beautiful, precious piece of porcelain and then turn it around into something extremely derogatory.

Do you honestly not see how horrific that statement is? How condescending and extremely arrogant that was?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    It exists everywhere else; why not church? Prayer is a waste of time anyway. Just ignore it :)

Oh? Do you have anything other than personal experience/anecdote to verify that?

5 doctors in 2 states said I'd have to have my gallbladder removed. I was having attacks about 3 times a week. the first time I had one I thought I would die, the pain was so excrutiating. I was in the middle of a gallbladder attack when I was prayed over in the name of Jesus. I ran, threw up all over my bathroom, and all the pain was gone. I haven't had a gallbladder attack since that day, nearly six years now.

This reminds me of Tim Minchin's Thank you God song :laugh:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZeWPScnolo&amp;feature=kp
  • T_Ciku
    Options
    Not trying to raise too much of a fuss... Just want to poke my nose in and make a tiny point pertaining to the "Satanist" comment... If someone totally disagrees with Catholicism, Christianity, etc... You absolutely can not be a Satanist... Use your noggin... Satan is contained... in the bible... If you're against/don't believe in Christianity, then by default, you cannot be a Satanist... because... you don't believe in him >.<

As for all the other stuff. I'm all for beauty and strength, but these days, single mothers have to be pillars as well as bring grace and beauty, and single fathers have to teach grace and beauty as well as be pillars. No matter what the bible, the sermon, the pamphlet, or your pastor says... Sometimes it's better to just disregard the information if it's not doing personal harm to you and yours. It's unnecessary stress and these days, we have so much unavoidable stress, why pile more on >.<

On a brighter note, I love everyone! :heart:

P. S. The golden rule is best!... Treat others as you would like to be treated. I taught it to my children and so many still teach it to theirs. But we forget to practice it ourselves :frown: So simple and so perfect. If everyone would live by it, the world would be glorious :bigsmile:

Seriously the best thing I've read here tonight. Treat as others as you would like to be treated. Probably the most repeated rule but somehow I always forget it. Not good.
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Hypothetical scenario: you have two cups. One cup is a tall drinking glass, another is a beautiful, precious piece of porcelain. Which do you use to drink water every day? Which do you use for a special occasion? Are they equal? They both hold liquids. They can both do the same things. Equal and different, with the weaker vessel given preferential treatment, and the drinking glass used for its strength.

In my entire life I have never had someone call me a beautiful, precious piece of porcelain and then turn it around into something extremely derogatory.

Do you honestly not see how horrific that statement is? How condescending and extremely arrogant that was?
    I'm like a Chinadoll, dammit, don't ruin my dreams. I'm just waiting for someone to put me up in my glass case.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    One of the many reasons I'm an Atheist. Also, find it really insulting that Lillith, the first wife of Adam was thrown out of the garden for DARING to want to be seen as an equal. You could ask the preacher why the prayers were like that. Get a dialogue going and see what happens. It's always fun to challenge oneself and others.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Has anyone ever played Cards Against Humanity? :devil:

*munches popcorn*

tumblr_mfg0zxWpxi1rjdnouo1_500.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

just read your profile.

you know you can lose the weight because YOU are able, right?

and i guess i lied. so much for me shutting up.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    the entire bible does not suppress women... just look at Deborah, a judge. and like another poster stated, you have to take into context the culture at the time the bible was written. things are different now. whereas it says: men, it means today: human kind (all of us)

It's 2014 and we have come a long way, however, we still have a long way to go, imho.

Gotta disagree with you here. If the bible means humanity when it refers to man, what does it mean when there are specific references to woman?

The bible as originally written does repress women to a great extent, like about every time it mentions the relationship between men and women. It's just the more modern interpretations by "man" that make it more inclusive when it comes to gender, not the original wording of the document.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    My church had a special service yesterday and part of it had this prayer printed on leaflets that were handed out to the congregation. I wasn't able to make it but my mom went and brought back a copy of this prayer. I am so infuriated by it, and by the fact that I wasn't there to say something.

Basically it had different portions for sisters and brothers and fathers and mothers and stuff. The men's parts talked about stuff like "help us to be rivers of pride and prosperity to our families," and "help us to be assets of strength to our families," while the women's parts said, "help us to add a touch of beauty and grace to our families," and "help us to be sources of warmth and encouragement to our families." On the outside it doesn't seem like such a big deal but the wording makes me so angry.

Women are told to ask to be a touch of beauty. That wording sounds gentle and delicate. Men are assets of strength, which makes them sound strong and firm, like pillars. And who said women can't ask God to be both prosperous and warm? It was so sexist. I didn't see the need to divide the prayer into two genders. Both men and women can ask for both things, (though asking to be a touch of beauty for men does seem a bit funny. :)

The fact that this came from a church is what made me furious. That they're still peddling these stereotypical, outdated gender roles is telling.
    Please, get over it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Sexism in church? Shocking!

“Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." - Timothy 2:11

“…the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.” 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

“Wives, be submissive to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.” Ephesians 5:21-24

“….and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be sensible, chaste, domestic, kind, and submissive to their husbands, that the word of God may not be discredited…. Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect…” Titus 2:4-9

The author of Titus, Ephesians and Corinthians was Paul, who was an *kitten*.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

This is why we know that god likes you better than all those kids he lets die every year
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I'm like a Chinadoll, dammit, don't ruin my dreams. I'm just waiting for someone to put me up in my glass case.

Now that you've said it, me too.

Hopefully I can find a man who can also fix my hair and put me in nice dresses as well.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I already said I was being facetious with the Satanist comment... (the rest of the comment was serious - I was trying to highlight that the similarities in religion are much greater than the differences) - I clarified in my last post on this thread
This discussion has been closed.