Birthday Alternative for Cake and Ice Cream

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Make cupcakes? I made some cupcakes for my husband's birthday... Total calories was like 280 calories per cupcake, and I only made 4, as we're 4. No problem fitting that in our day.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    diet soda cake, and frozen yogurt or sherbet.

Is that like a coke cake, just with diet? Interesting! (Coke cake is so awesome)
    This!
    1 box cake mix and 1 diet soda (clear), mix and cook. Then I make sugar free jello and once the jello is cooled and the cake is cooled , I poke holes in the cake, and add jello mix. The cake soaks up the flavor..then I do light whip cream on top. MM so light and good!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    How about a ice cream cake those are yummie.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try this!! the cake uses Zucchini instead of butter and the icing is made using Avocado!

http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2013/09/chocolate-zucchini-cupcakes-with-avocado-frosting.html

As for the icecream, why not try frozen yogurt instead?! :3

http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/homemade-frozen-yogurt-recipes/

giphy.gif

Don't do this, OP, don't ruin good cake.

bahahaha just got for a run- earn those calories and then have your cake and eat it too!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't be like that mom that put some frosting on dinner rolls for her daughter's birthday party.
    please.
    Think of the frostless cakes.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I would substitute cake and ice cream with cake and ice cream. Six times a year for cake and ice cream should not slow down anything. Save 500 calories for each event, enjoy yourself and celebrate the birthday with no regret.

QFT
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I make mini soda cup cakes. You can do it with diet soda, but ones you calculate the total calories the "real" soda doesn't make that much difference.

It's what, like 120 calories for a can? So add 120 to your cake mix and divide up into the individual servings and you end up with maybe 5 extra calories? (24 cup cakes per box)

I make 62-64 mini cakes out of a box and end up with 35-45 calories per mini cake (depending on the mix and soda used). Up to you how many you want to eat but it's easy to keep track. I like using grape, strawberry or orange soda with a white cake mix. You get really neat flavors and colors that way.

icing is up to you, you can use sugar free ready whip at 5 calories per 2 tbsp or just use regular.

cakes are pretty good without the icing.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I usually eat less cake than I used to. Or if there is cake and ice cream, I pick one of those, whichever looks best and eat that. Cheesecake and peppermint icecream are my options? I'll have cheesecake. Icecream cake and pie? Icecream cake.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You were discussing weight loss in your narrative (primarily) - at the time I was interested in your take on it...not so much now.

The 3rd study is also re Type 2 Diabetes...it notes nothing about the 'type' of diet and weight loss maintenance - which is what I was actually wanting to discuss...at first...hence my question....not so much now.

My take on it, 'eh? Well that's why I cite references because it's not about my take on it, it's about what's scientifically credible. If you're a person more interested in someone's take than the science we wouldn't mesh well in conversation...

In my original post I said moderation is suboptimal for both weight loss and treatment of T2DM which is why the first two studies support the weight loss claim and the last two support the T2DM claim.

By 'your take on it' - I meant you applying the results of the studies to your statement (bad wording on my part but I did not expect you to make assumptions and/or read it like you did and respond as such...I should know better though). Clarifying why someone is citing studies does not mean that they want someone's random unsubstantiated opinion - something you may want to remember when being asked a question.

People post studies and links all the time but often those studies do not support what they are trying to say. I thought it would be best to clarify what you were trying to get at with them as they cover quite a few aspects between the four of them...sorry, my bad!

Regarding the weight loss - the second study cites 2 references when discussing weight-loss success (in relation to moderation v quick weight loss) - the first one I cannot find the full text, but from the abstract, the conclusion was:

"There is evidence from randomised intervention trials to support that a greater initial weight loss induced without changes in lifestyle e.g. liquid formula diets or anorectic drugs) improves long-term weight maintenance, providing it is followed by a 1–2 years integrated weight maintenance programme consisting of lifestyle interventions involving dietary change, nutritional education, behaviour therapy and increased physical activity."

Which is great...but who has access to this type of program?

The second study - again, I cannot get into the full text but, again, they were on a program.. "Groups were drawn from participants in the TOURS trial, which included a sample of middle-aged (mean = 59.3 years) obese women (mean BMI = 36.8) who received a 6-month lifestyle intervention followed by a 1-year extended care program."

The first study - was a meta-analysis. It does indicate that a VLCD had improved results re maintenance - but not by that much. Also, and while I have not gone into the 29 studies used - I would imagine that they were also on a structured and managed program like the ones noted above.

So, while 'moderation' may not be the most successful approach for people who are under a structured and supervised program, I am still not seeing evidence that there is a 'better' one for people doing this on their own (as a whole, as individual preferences and behaviors are very relevant).

One thing that does appear to be consistent though, and which you have not mentioned (not that you should as this thread is about diet) is that exercise is a factor that does seem to be a success factor in weight loss and in maintenance of that loss.

Edited to try to fix some horrendous sentence structure.

If you know how to search for studies it doesn't take too long to find most of them. Here are the links to the full studies for the first two you actually looked at the abstract for:

http://www.ysonut.fr/pdf/1DAP-Lessons-obesity-management-Astrup-2000.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3780395/

So to address your questions... Who has access to these types of programs? Let's break down what these really consist of: 1) meal replacements; 2) support groups; 3) educational material. The reality is that pretty much everyone has access to all of these.

There are countless meal replacements you can buy as I'm sure you know. The difference between meal replacements and controlled liquid meals (even though many of the VLED studies are not liquid fed) is primarily that the serving size has been portioned out. Both are usually protein based, little carbs, essential fats, fortified with nutrients, etc. People easily have access to the material needed to figure out how many calories they should be eating.

I've seen support groups in these studies anywhere from bi-weekly to quarterly so it's not like a daily intervention. Wonderful thing about the internet is there are plenty of virtual support groups like MFP. I'd argue this is suitable and potentially better support since it can be access every day.

Educational material, just like virtual support groups, are very easy to come by. It just takes effort to research... The TOURS group intervention includes a simple bi-weekly pamphlet as one of the interventions. It was found that this was just as effective as face to face or telephone interventions for the initial 6 month treatment (although it did find some differences at 18 months). So what makes this so much different from a blog, newspaper, etc? How much more benefit can people have if they use the daily availability of the internet in their education?

The end message of this is that more weight loss means more success both short term and long term. This means that the closer people get to being a health nut the better off they'll be. Many people argue moderation is more sustainable for both short term and long term losses (particularly identifiable as it was addressed as a prevalent myth) but this has been shown over and over again to be false. I don't have problems with moderation, but moderation leads to less success and people need more success not less.

I think that you are making a very sweeping assumption as to people's ability or resources.

Couple of extracts from the first study:

"...however, numerous VLED trials have shown that VLED either alone or in combination with behaviour therapy have produced better weight loss during the weight loss phase, but more weight regain in the long term than conventional diet, either alone or in combination with behaviour therapy...."

"It is a generally accepted concept that a greater initial weight loss induced by a VLED is accompanied by an improved retention of weight loss, but only if the VLED period is followed by a weight maintenance programme consisting of lifestyle interventions involving dietary change, nutritional education, behaviour therapy and increased physical activity (14)."

I have a couple of questions as to the second one...which I will not bother asking here.

Again, I mention the fact that these are in relation to obese people. While I believe that you are making assumptions as to my stance on this (unless you are this pleasant to people who may agree with some of what you say also), I think that there are many more variables at play for people who are not as significantly overweight, especially the risks of a VLCD vs the benefits.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP:

If it's your birthday, do whatever you want as an alternative

If it's one of your kid's birthdays - ask them what they would prefer, and if they want a cake, buy a smaller cake/ice cream tub so you do not have lots of left overs, but please please please do not force some horrible pseudo, pretend to be a cake or ice-cream but not really concoction on them.

You can always make a family occasion of something active to balance it out - like ice-skating, going for a walk, playing ball etc.
  • dianapenning
    dianapenning Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes and frozen yogurt!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I think that you are making a very sweeping assumption as to people's ability or resources.
    I think you're arguing in generalities.

"...however, numerous VLED trials have shown that VLED either alone or in combination with behaviour therapy have produced better weight loss during the weight loss phase, but more weight regain in the long term than conventional diet, either alone or in combination with behaviour therapy...."
    Except this first study is not a meta-data analysis, which I did include, which shows a different picture when analyzing 29 different studies.
    "It is a generally accepted concept that a greater initial weight loss induced by a VLED is accompanied by an improved retention of weight loss, but only if the VLED period is followed by a weight maintenance programme consisting of lifestyle interventions involving dietary change, nutritional education, behaviour therapy and increased physical activity (14)."
    Do you know of any diet study that suggests weight loss can be maintained without those?
    Again, I mention the fact that these are in relation to obese people. While I believe that you are making assumptions as to my stance on this (unless you are this pleasant to people who may agree with some of what you say also), I think that there are many more variables at play for people who are not as significantly overweight, especially the risks of a VLCD vs the benefits.

1. Obese people make up about 50% of those who are at least overweight so it's not like we're dealing with a small demographic of those who need to lose weight.
    2. Although VLEDs do have focus on the obese these studies are not done solely on the obese.
    3. I've made absolutely no assumptions on your stance in the matter. In fact, you've done very little to substantiate your stance.
    4. From what I've read it's the obese who are more at risk for VLED complications than the overweight, but those risks are low and many studies substantiate the numerous benefits of long term weight loss.

I was expanding on the studies you cited...you know...for further context...

1. I was not inferring that we were - just clarifying the population in the studies
    2. I realize this, but I could not recall ones that studied the 'success' rate of non-obese/significantly overweight people
    3. Not sure why you are asking me to substantiate my stance - I do not even think you know what it is. I am not trying to make a stance - I was trying to have a conversation about the studies for my and others' benefit - obviously you are not wanting to do that.
    4. I would be interested in what there is out there on that - but don't worry, I am not asking you for anything. I was not implying that the benefits of long term weight loss are not numerous.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I apologize for getting bored and skipping pages 5-10, but how does using diet soda and a boxed cake mix cut calories? You're still using the cake mix, which is what contributes most of the calories in the recipe, right? Does using the diet soda somehow stretch the final amount into say, 1.5 cakes instead of 1? So the resulting servings are just less dense? Someone please explain, it doesn't make sense to me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I think you're arguing in generalities.

Except this first study is not a meta-data analysis, which I did include, which shows a different picture when analyzing 29 different studies.
    Do you know of any diet study that suggests weight loss can be maintained without those?

1. Obese people make up about 50% of those who are at least overweight so it's not like we're dealing with a small demographic of those who need to lose weight.
    2. Although VLEDs do have focus on the obese these studies are not done solely on the obese.
    3. I've made absolutely no assumptions on your stance in the matter. In fact, you've done very little to substantiate your stance.
    4. From what I've read it's the obese who are more at risk for VLED complications than the overweight, but those risks are low and many studies substantiate the numerous benefits of long term weight loss.

I was expanding on the studies you cited...you know...for further context...

1. I was not inferring that we were - just clarifying the population in the studies
    2. I realize this, but I could not recall ones that studied the 'success' rate of non-obese/significantly overweight people
    3. Not sure why you are asking me to substantiate my stance - I do not even think you know what it is. I am not trying to make a stance - I was trying to have a conversation about the studies for my and others' benefit - obviously you are not wanting to do that.
    4. I would be interested in what there is out there on that - but don't worry, I am not asking you for anything. I was not implying that the benefits of long term weight loss are not numerous.

I wouldn't consider non-deterministic information to be expanding the content...

I never asked you to substantiate you stance. Look at #3 again, there is no question mark. This seems like quite the hang up for you for some reason... First you incorrectly assume that I'm assuming your stance as if it's swaying the context of my argument then you somehow misconstrue that I'm asking you about your stance.

I don't care about your take on things. I don't care about your stance. What I do care about is what science and studies have to say about the matter. If you would like to provide any dissenting studies or sources please feel free and I'm more than interested, but that is not a stance that is evidence/support/research.

Again with those assumptions.

Not a hang up at all and I am not sure how you read it a such - I also am not sure how you have construed my response to be me thinking you asked me to substantiate my stance - you did however mention that I have done very little to 'substantiate my stance'. My point, which you obviously missed, is that I did not actually make one.

You appear to be very black and white with your use of empirical data - which is not usually a good thing.

Also...context, not content.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This thread made me swap out my nightly ice cream last night...

... for cream cheese frosted brownies.