Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• valb1983
    valb1983 Posts: 18
    Options
    Week2 day 2 for me in the morning, a bit nervous as been having palpitations and dizzy spells on and off for months. Have had two since yesterday :/
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I did Week 3 Day 2 today… I had started C25K and went on vacation last week, I had every intention of getting in my runs but it didn't happen. I can already tell that I have lost some of the endurance that quickly, so I may need to repeat this week before moving on to Week 4 to get back in the groove.
  • primdaisy
    primdaisy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just finished wk 5, only had to repeat one day due to taking time off because of injury. I am going to start wk 6 on Thurs. I never thought I would be a runner, but @ 52 yo, I am now a runner. I have signed up for an annual race in our area called the Buckshot run, but only doing the 2 mile race. I really like running and hopefully can keep advancing. Good luck to everyone out there. You can do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • yearningathlete
    yearningathlete Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I Just finished Wk 1/Day 2 and havnt felt this motivated in a long time. I have never been a runner and always envied those who could. My goal is to lose 40 lbs that i gained during my pregnancy and never lost. Anyone is Wk 1 right now and want to be myfitness pal :)? I can use all the motivation i get.
  • Deaglan42
    Deaglan42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just finished week one, and started week two yesterday. I think I made my knees cry with a combination of bad trainers, awful technique and 50lb of cake storage, so I'm planning to take a weeks break and do some swimming instead.

I've actually enjoyed it so far. Enough to be feeling a little guilty for taking a break so soon into it...

On the bright side though, shiny new trainers ;-)
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! I am on week 6 day 2 and LOVING the program. I was never a runner before at any point in my life but this program has changed all of that. Now I actually look forward to running. Crazy!! I thought the first few weeks of the program were the hardest as I got acclimated to running. Somewhere around the end of week 4 I really started to feel like a runner and by week 5 I was totally hooked. Just signed up for a 5K while we are on vacation in August and another in early September to do as a family.

My 8 year old recently expressed interest so I have started doing the program with her on my "off" days. She just completed week 1 day 2 yesterday and did a lot better than I did at the beginning!
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Completed week 6 day 1 yesterday, worked up a nice sweat. feels strange to go back to smaller intervals after completing a 20 minute run days ago. My legs felt pretty tight so I'm going to have to look into better stretching techniques.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I did Week 2, Workout 2 yesterday. My Fitbit says my total daily burn was 1550 calories. Ha! If I hadn't walked/run those 2 miles it would've been under 1400? Crazy. And probably impossible given a BMR over 1300. But no wonder I lose super slowly averaging 1400 calories in food.
  • kristeng035
    kristeng035 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started W1D1 on July 8, I can't believe I actually did it. Once I got home I was out of breath and so proud of myself. It made me realize that the person holding me back from doing this was me, I was my biggest obstacle but not anymore! Today after work I will be starting Day 2, I do wish I had a running partner. Good luck to everyone, You CAN DO IT!!!!
  • chelsie_1984
    chelsie_1984 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k just over a week ago. I finished the first week and thought I could move on to the second. Well, I don't think I was ready to. So, I am back to week 1 until there are no needs to stop and catch my breathe during the runs. Good luck!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! C25K is a great app and a great program to follow. I actually completed it over the winter, but unfortunately broke my ankle shortly after... So after regaining my strength, etc... I am finally ready for a race. I have my first later this month and am registered for another in August. I love running now... My advice is take it slow and don't try to get ahead of the program. It's important to build your endurance slowly to avoid injuries... Good luck!
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Starting the program this evening. Last time I ran was 20 years ago when I played baseball. Always hated running, so I'm hoping I can find the motivation and inner strength to push through to the end.
  • SurpriseMysteryGuest
    Options
    I started last month, but I never ran before so I'm taking it really really slow. I do each day at least three times before I move onto the next. I'm not sure if this is a good method or not, but I'm really enjoying it and not killing myself- therefore making me more likely to keep coming back. My logic is this- though it will take me longer to actually run that 5k, the process will be so gradual and natural that one day I will just be able to do it without much thought or todo about it.
    I know pushing myself can bring much greater reward and personal satisfaction in a shorter term that what I'm doing, but really I'm just so glad I'm doing something instead of nothing.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Starting the program this evening. Last time I ran was 20 years ago when I played baseball. Always hated running, so I'm hoping I can find the motivation and inner strength to push through to the end.
    If you hate running, I'm not sure why you are doing it. There's no reason to push through. There are plenty of ways to exercise. IMO, you are unlikely to be successful if you are not enjoying what you are doing.
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've decided to repeat Week 3 as I am finding it really tough. Has anyone got any tips on coping with hills? I live in the South Wales Valleys and no matter where I head several hills are involved and this is why I am struggling. Thanks.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    If you hate running, I'm not sure why you are doing it. There's no reason to push through. There are plenty of ways to exercise. IMO, you are unlikely to be successful if you are not enjoying what you are doing.
    I am sort of in the same boat. I do usually just do other cardio but I'm going to try this again because it would be nice to learn to like running and to have it as an option. It's hard to walk fast enough for any cardio benefit and it takes a while to rack up calorie burns. Biking is dangerous and requires some serious distance for high burns. Swimming requires a lap pool. Cardio DVDs get dull.

I actually am sort of liking it so far but I'm only six workouts in. I think the combo of Pandora, the C25k app and reading a Kindle during the walking portions (I'm on a home treadmill most days) makes the time fly, so far. And seeing the scale move after a dismal month is motivating.

I think the key this time is for me to repeat weeks and not expect to get to the end and be a 'good runner'. I think I will probably always just need to do interval runs because my HR gets too high for prolonged running. Which is fine. Intervals are probably better for you anyway.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    So last night I did the W3D1 workout. I was okay with the week 2 workouts, but to be honest, I was pretty nervous going into last night's run. I really didn't know if I could handle running 2.5 minutes continuously. Well, I'm here to say I DID IT!! It was a challenge, but I just tried not to look at my app too much and just jog until it told me to walk. I'm keeping it slow and focusing on my breathing. At one point I'd been running and I looked down and I only had 14 seconds left to run. Seriously? Piece of cake! I was really excited.

I share this to encourage those who are still on week 1 or 2. When I started, running 30 seconds was a challenge. But last night I ran for 2.5 minutes and, while it wasn't what I'd call easy, it was definitely doable. The secret is small increments of change.

I am so excited! This program really does work!

`I am so happy for you, there is a lesson for you, don't let the peeking dissuade you from the task. It is a well tested programme, you can always repeat sessions if you cannot get through them. But as you have done, try them as prescribed first.

Look forward to hearing more of your successes
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've decided to repeat Week 3 as I am finding it really tough. Has anyone got any tips on coping with hills? I live in the South Wales Valleys and no matter where I head several hills are involved and this is why I am struggling. Thanks.

Walk up on the warm up, run down on the run interval and then complete the run interval going up, do the walk interval continuing to walk up and repeat. Hills either up or down are bad news for me, but at least you will get some benefit. Happy C25king
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

TOTALLY Disagree with the above questioning why do it if you hate it.
    I used to completely hate running when I was younger. Several years on and a new focus (obstacle course racing) I realised I needed to learn how to run. I still hated it when I started, I hated it several weeks in but I pushed on and now I love running. I get cranky if my planned runs get interfered with.

WalkingAlong - even if you're succeeding with the sessions if your heart rate goes too high, you're running too fast.
    Plipsurt, I had the same issue, some run sections when I was starting and even into like week 5, I was almost just running on the spot for the hill sections.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    WalkingAlong - even if you're succeeding with the sessions if your heart rate goes too high, you're running too fast.
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going as slow as 4.0mph. I figured slower than that I'd be 'race walking', which is harder than slow running, isn't it? Maybe I could jog slower than 4, I'll try it today.

I'm in week 3. I'm kind of enjoying the two 3-minute jogs. They're hard but I feel accomplished after and it makes the workout fly by.