Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Yes, if a person arrives at one or more of those conditions, they do have a disability. However, if the reason they got lung cancer was from smoking; lost their legs playing chicken with a train, do we, as a society, owe them the same level of empathy and or assistance that we have for those who are disabled through no fault of their own?

Yes.

That's not even a question. Morally and legally.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. As a former smoker, should I develop lung cancer in the future because of it, I do not want, nor do I think I deserve empathy and assistance from society. I was stupid for smoking in the first place. Stupid shouldn't be rewarded.

Rewarded would mean given a good thing.

Being helped out with cancer - that's so the opposite of a good thing that I'm a little baffled.

Look at it this way.....you help me with my lung cancer, the lung cancer that I got because I made a stupid decision in my teens; a stupid decision that kept making for 20+ years, because you're a good person. However, in doing this, you may be taking resources and/or time away from another person suffering from a cancer that they got not from making a stupid decision, but because sometimes bad things happen to people. In my view, it is that person who deserves your time and effort, not me. "Reward" might not be the best word to use there, but I hope the above conveys what I was getting at.

Luckily, we're not a Randian society. We're better than that.

When someone in society suffers, we all have the potential to be impacted. A man who needs money for his life saving medications will fall to theft to survive. That's his fault for his actions, but a significant societal failure that he was pushed to that. The stupidity of a decision notwithstanding, without belaboring examples, economically and socially it behooves us to ensure that these folks are cared for.

It's a matter of empathy and taking a long view on social issues, which is something we don't do or have anymore. *shrug*

:drinker:
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I think that in very extreme cases that being fat can cause disability.
    But being fat in itself is not a disabilty.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You are so silly. Of course we still do. My neighbor's job is to schedule hearing tests for preschoolers. Human society isn't at 100% and it will never be, but we help each out in innumerable ways.

Some people have their act together. As a societal whole though, we don't. Otherwise we'd vote in different people, and there wouldn't be a group of the country squawking like gulls over refugee children.

Our society isn't 100%, we're not even 60%, but there is potential to fix that.

I don't know. I look at history. I look around the world. And 60ish% seems to be the comfort level for human suffering.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I would however agree that depression is not an acceptable excuse for obesity.

Someone should smack you for this statement.

That's like saying that someone who has post-traumatic stress disorder is not an acceptable excuse for anxiety.

Or saying that ADHD is not an acceptable excuse to do poorly in school and that person is perfectly capable to keep control over it without any help at all.

You people make me sick. It's no wonder there are so many mentally unstable people slipping through the system and going on wild shooting rampages. It's because everyone else is going "oh, they're fine. they should ust snap out of it and behave like a "normal" human being."

FFS.

1+ lets slap that person together.
    People and there close minded views.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    By that definition, a sprained ankle or even a broken bone would appear to be a disability. That's a really simplified definition.

Not that this is relevant to obesity, but I feel like it is important to point out that the ADA recognizes temporary disability if the individual is impaired for six months or longer.

So a sprained ankle or broken bone could be considered a disability IF the injury is serious enough.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    But you did doubt my conviction on what I would do should the situation arise. That's your opinion, based on zero knowledge of me, which is why I said it is irrelevant (I should have added, "to me"). As for selfish, what is selfish about not wanting to burden my family with tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills? What is selfish about not wanting my kids around a hospital bed while their father is coughing up blood and dying? It's not that I'm ready to punch my ticket; it's that I want my family to be able to get on with their lives as soon as possible, with as little burden and/or trauma when that time comes. If that's selfish, then I guess I'm a selfish *kitten*.

Suicide is pretty traumatic on a family.

Speaking as someone who's father put a bullet into his head when I was still in my early 20's, I find it asinine that someone would compare dying from cancer to suicide in this manner.

I don't think avoiding treatment is suicide, either. It's why I strongly believe in voluntary euthanasia. A terminally ill person should absolutely be able to set the terms for his or her death. And the trauma on the family is likely going to be very different as there are no "why" questions and internal blame for family members. IMO, of course.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    To the man judging his "lazy" neighbor, how about you? You know her so well, why not try including her? Does it make you folks feel good about yourselves to speak about others with such righteous overtones? Grow up already.

I include her as little as possible. I tolerate her because my wife doesn't have as big of an issue with her as I do. As I stated before, being fat and lazy is only one of her problems....she is a sack of s**t. She games the welfare system, she was/is a s**ty mother (two of her three kids are in prison). She's had numerous dogs taken away because she'll just open her front door to let them do their business, and some people have been bitten (not to mention she leaves the dog crap all over the place). I could go on and on. Why? Because I know this woman. I'm not generalizing about everyone, I'm speaking of one person that I know.

As for growing up, do you know me, or this woman? Nice to meet you, kettle.

You are judging by what you see, You don't really know this person do you. You would be surprised what is really going on to her.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    The OP either gave up or is trying to back squat 160 lbs to see what its like.

Crap. Now she's hurt her back and we're all going to have to pay for her choices when she stops being able to work because of it.

Oh that's cute. Well, I have a bad back, too. I inherited it, much like wealthy people inherit the family trust fund, but without the lavish lifestyle.

So with people like you crying in the workplace, I wonder, should I just go ahead and plan for a potentially disabled future now by taking up bank robbery? Or maybe vacation homes are a better target?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Is being overweight a disability? No
    Can being overweight cause you to gain a disability directly related to just being overweight? Yes.
  • caseyrh9
    caseyrh9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If being fat is a disability, why not give all fat people handicap stickers on their cars so they don't have to walk as far? Give them all tax-payer funded disability checks and wheelchairs and stair lifts in their houses so they don't have to move as much?

People think that their poor health choices make them deserve pity and special treatment from everyone else. The term disability is being used too loosely and it's insulting to people with legitimate disabilities. Why should all the scooters in grocery stores and all the handicap parking spaces be taken by someone who could use the little bit of extra exercise, when an 85 year old war vet or someone with an illness/disorder (cancer, CF, CP, etc.) needs it more? Come on people, have some responsibility for yourself and your choices.

(I'm talking about BEING fat, as in choosing to scoop up your half gallon of ice cream with twinkies while watching entire seasons of tv shows on netflix in one sitting fat. NOT fat as a side effect of another REAL disability.)
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    If being fat is a disability, why not give all fat people handicap stickers on their cars so they don't have to walk as far? Give them all tax-payer funded disability checks and wheelchairs and stair lifts in their houses so they don't have to move as much?

People think that their poor health choices make them deserve pity and special treatment from everyone else. The term disability is being used too loosely and it's insulting to people with legitimate disabilities. Why should all the scooters in grocery stores and all the handicap parking spaces be taken by someone who could use the little bit of extra exercise, when an 85 year old war vet or someone with an illness/disorder (cancer, CF, CP, etc.) needs it more? Come on people, have some responsibility for yourself and your choices.

(I'm talking about BEING fat, as in choosing to scoop up your half gallon of ice cream with twinkies while watching entire seasons of tv shows on netflix in one sitting fat. NOT fat as a side effect of another REAL disability.)

well aren't you a ray of sunshine.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    What about me? I started smoking when I was 15. I stopped when I was 24.

I'm 42 now, and haven't smoked in almost two decades. My risk of lung cancer is close to what it would have been if I had never made the juvenile decision to pick up a cigarette. I don't pay more for my insurance because I never had insurance when I was smoking.

If I got lung cancer, should I be treated or not treated?

Remember, I'm the main financial support for two preschoolers, and cancer treatment is well beyond the means of the average person.

Judging another person's choices is so complex that it's better just to look at the resources and the benefits and make your decisions without going into the history.

Should YOU, or anyone else, be treated is not what I'm discussing here. I'm saying that someone who develops cancer due to nothing they did wrong deserves to have assistance before ME. That is how I feel. I am the main financial support for a wife and two kids (the third has been on his own for a couple of years now) and knowing this, I have a butt load of life insurance. I pay through the *kitten* for this insurance because of my smoking, but the premium is supposed to go down once I hit the 5 year, smoke-free mark. I do this because I know my past decisions put my family at risk.

This is going nowhere, and judging ME for my beliefs about things oh how I want to deal with MY life is not something I'm going to care about.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Crap. Now she's hurt her back and we're all going to have to pay for her choices when she stops being able to work because of it.

Oh that's cute. Well, I have a bad back, too. I inherited it, much like wealthy people inherit the family trust fund, but without the lavish lifestyle.

So with people like you crying in the workplace, I wonder, should I just go ahead and plan for a potentially disabled future now by taking up bank robbery? Or maybe vacation homes are a better target?

I was being sarcastic, pointing out that accidents can occur from all kinds of choices.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression my entire life. I fight with it daily. What did I turn to in order to make me feel better? Food. Delicious, horrible, foods. Sugary, salty, carby, and nonstop. I could eat an entire pizza to myself. Why? To hide from the pain. To hide from what was inside even as it clawed its way up my throat and spilled out, regardless of what I did.

What did this cause? For me to become fat. The friends who told me that I was beautiful and perfect the way I was didn't help, even though I know they thought they were. I was/am FAT.

That is not my disability. Being depressed is. Obesity and being fat are SYMPTOMS of disabilities and diseases, not a disability or a disease by itself.

As for the discussion as to whether or not someone has say over their own life... it's ALL selfish. That's what life is. Someone wanting to give up and die is selfish, but so is the wife who wants him to live because she doesn't want to be left alone. We're ALL selfish. There is no such thing as a pure action. This is what it means to be human. We AFFECT each other.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I would however agree that depression is not an acceptable excuse for obesity.

Someone should smack you for this statement.

That's like saying that someone who has post-traumatic stress disorder is not an acceptable excuse for anxiety.

Or saying that ADHD is not an acceptable excuse to do poorly in school and that person is perfectly capable to keep control over it without any help at all.

You people make me sick. It's no wonder there are so many mentally unstable people slipping through the system and going on wild shooting rampages. It's because everyone else is going "oh, they're fine. they should ust snap out of it and behave like a "normal" human being."

FFS.

1+ lets slap that person together.
    People and there close minded views.

I admit. I made this statement. I did not fully expound on it because I was focused on the other issue in that post. I wrote like 3 long paragraphs about the topic and closed with the one sentence, and that is what you chose to rail at. My bad.

What I mean is that depression, while debilitating for some, is not directly related to obesity, as the case with thyroid conditions, and therefore, should not be considered as a contributing factor towards determining the eligibility for disability. If the person is depressed and also addressing mobility issues, then I would consider these two separate, unrelated disabilities. But to simply say "I binge eat when I'm feeling down and now I am obese" is not an acceptable rationale when determining eligibility for disability.

Surely, it can be concluded from this thread that obesity should be considered a disability on a case-by-case basis. Which I do believe is exactly how it is handled so this thread is basically pointless.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    According to the Social Security Administration, being "fat" is not a disability.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    What about me? I started smoking when I was 15. I stopped when I was 24.

I'm 42 now, and haven't smoked in almost two decades. My risk of lung cancer is close to what it would have been if I had never made the juvenile decision to pick up a cigarette. I don't pay more for my insurance because I never had insurance when I was smoking.

If I got lung cancer, should I be treated or not treated?

Remember, I'm the main financial support for two preschoolers, and cancer treatment is well beyond the means of the average person.

Judging another person's choices is so complex that it's better just to look at the resources and the benefits and make your decisions without going into the history.

Should YOU, or anyone else, be treated is not what I'm discussing here. I'm saying that someone who develops cancer due to nothing they did wrong deserves to have assistance before ME. That is how I feel. I am the main financial support for a wife and two kids (the third has been on his own for a couple of years now) and knowing this, I have a butt load of life insurance. I pay through the *kitten* for this insurance because of my smoking, but the premium is supposed to go down once I hit the 5 year, smoke-free mark. I do this because I know my past decisions put my family at risk.

This is going nowhere, and judging ME for my beliefs about things oh how I want to deal with MY life is not something I'm going to care about.

The thing is, your choices about you carry over into whether you feel that other people deserve social help.

At the 5-year mark, would you choice about seeking treatment change? After all, the reason why the insurance goes down is because the likelihood of any disease being smoking-related drops.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

You sound like you're a bit of *kitten*.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    NO!!
  • Meerataila
    Options

I was being sarcastic, pointing out that accidents can occur from all kinds of choices.

Oops, sorry!