Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ok let me go a little different way....I think when you get disabilty...you can also get food stamps I THINK.....if that is the case...should the food you can get with that assistance be monitored?? I know with pregnant women who get WIC, they have to only get certain things and its all healthy such as they have to get natural cereals and nothing with sugar.....

Okay, you're just prying at that can of worms again, aren't you?

I am really not trying to....do I just need to shut the **** up???

It seems to be in your best interest...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I would however agree that depression is not an acceptable excuse for obesity.

Someone should smack you for this statement.

That's like saying that someone who has post-traumatic stress disorder is not an acceptable excuse for anxiety.

Or saying that ADHD is not an acceptable excuse to do poorly in school and that person is perfectly capable to keep control over it without any help at all.

You people make me sick. It's no wonder there are so many mentally unstable people slipping through the system and going on wild shooting rampages. It's because everyone else is going "oh, they're fine. they should ust snap out of it and behave like a "normal" human being."

FFS.

1+ lets slap that person together.
    People and there close minded views.

I admit. I made this statement. I did not fully expound on it because I was focused on the other issue in that post. I wrote like 3 long paragraphs about the topic and closed with the one sentence, and that is what you chose to rail at. My bad.

What I mean is that depression, while debilitating for some, is not directly related to obesity, as the case with thyroid conditions, and therefore, should not be considered as a contributing factor towards determining the eligibility for disability. If the person is depressed and also addressing mobility issues, then I would consider these two separate, unrelated disabilities. But to simply say "I binge eat when I'm feeling down and now I am obese" is not an acceptable rationale when determining eligibility for disability.

Surely, it can be concluded from this thread that obesity should be considered a disability on a case-by-case basis. Which I do believe is exactly how it is handled so this thread is basically pointless.

Actually, eating disorders are parity conditions in the DSM-V which may make having one a disability. I know that when I was in treatment for mine, the HR department told my boss and project managers that they had to make reasonable accomodations so I could go to my program. That sounds a lot like ADA speak to me.

Well a clinical diagnosis would need to be required. Any number of people on this site decry having an eating disorder, but never once saw a doctor about it.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I do not see it as being a disability. Yes there are medical conditions that can cause you to gain weight, but those are side affects to the medical condition. In my opinion, the root issue has to directly be causing the disability and is chronic in nature where it can not be corrected.

By definition,

Disability is a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

Debilitating (of a disease or condition) making someone very weak and infirm. "debilitating back pain"

So is being fat or obese a disability? In my opinion no. But it can be debilitating.
  • angiesammich
    angiesammich Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    At 560 lbs. and being home bound for over 2 years and unable to walk from one room to other without sitting on a rolling computer chair to get to the bathroom and kitchen and at my lowest point sitting in a chair with a loaded handgun in my mouth with the hammer back begging and pleading (but no one was in the room cause I was all alone) to give me the strength to end my pain I can honestly say being fat is debilitating, certainly it is all about choice at any point before I got into that state I was a contributing member of society and paid my taxes so when I was at my lowest no matter how I got there, I needed assistance to help get me out so when I finally had enough and wanted that help, I am Damn sure glad the people on the other end were more sympathetic to my position than the mind set you have (not knocking you in particular just people in general that think this way).

I had over 300 pounds to lose, was willing to give in to the process, but needed the help to get there. So my insurance backed me up and got me the things needed to atleast attempt to dig myself out of the hole that I put myself in.. Medical doctors to address my health issues, mental therapist to address my depression and eating disorders, physical therapy to help be exercise to build up my strength to be able to walk again and continue to improve my strength, a dietician to show me what I had been doing and to point me in the right direction to regain my relationship with all foods, etc, etc this list goes on and on. Had I not been afforded those things based on the diagnosis of being disabled at that time I would not have been offered the help and more than likely at the rate I was going would have been dead by now, either by my own hand or do to complication due to my severe morbid obesity. Sometimes it isn't as easy as just calling Bullcrap and saying suck it up buttercup, I am living proof if given the assistance when I was disabled that one can totally change there lives and become productive members of society again and in my opinion that is what it was intended for in the first place not a means to go on and live out your days on it..... Just my 2 cents...

Thank you for sharing! Your post is the only one I've read that is based in reality. I have never been morbidly obese but I have always been a "bigger girl" and there is nothing wrong with a shift in society, supporting differing body types and encouraging men and women to be confident and secure with their bodies. I am extremely healthy! I eat whole natural foods, work out regularly, ride my bike and play softball and tennis. My doctor comments on the fact that I have amazing blood pressure and cholesterol.

Regardless of the way someone became morbidly obese, once they can no longer move around their home and complete daily living functions independently, THEY HAVE A DISABILITY!!!

Her comment about the carts at Walmart is ridiculous! Who are you to judge who's disability is worse than another's or who is more deserving of assistance? Ugh!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ok let me go a little different way....I think when you get disabilty...you can also get food stamps I THINK.....if that is the case...should the food you can get with that assistance be monitored?? I know with pregnant women who get WIC, they have to only get certain things and its all healthy such as they have to get natural cereals and nothing with sugar.....

198791.gif
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think that in very extreme cases that being fat can cause disability.
    But being fat in itself is not a disabilty.

I agree with this. It sums my feelings up nicely, too. However, I don't think it's just "very extreme" cases.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    But you did doubt my conviction on what I would do should the situation arise. That's your opinion, based on zero knowledge of me, which is why I said it is irrelevant (I should have added, "to me"). As for selfish, what is selfish about not wanting to burden my family with tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills? What is selfish about not wanting my kids around a hospital bed while their father is coughing up blood and dying? It's not that I'm ready to punch my ticket; it's that I want my family to be able to get on with their lives as soon as possible, with as little burden and/or trauma when that time comes. If that's selfish, then I guess I'm a selfish *kitten*.

Suicide is pretty traumatic on a family.

Speaking as someone who's father put a bullet into his head when I was still in my early 20's, I find it asinine that someone would compare dying from cancer to suicide in this manner.

I don't think avoiding treatment is suicide, either. It's why I strongly believe in voluntary euthanasia. A terminally ill person should absolutely be able to set the terms for his or her death. And the trauma on the family is likely going to be very different as there are no "why" questions and internal blame for family members. IMO, of course.

The funny thing is, I never said anything about avoiding treatment, even though it seems that many are believing that to be the case. Should I develop lung cancer in the future, you better believe I'll seek treatment....like I said, I'm not ready to punch my ticket. However, in the immortal words of Mr. Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations."

I should have been more clear - avoiding or ceasing treatment would have explained my opinion better.

Yes, thank you. I would be in the ceasing treatment camp when it was clear to me that continuing would do more harm than good.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If being fat is a disability, why not give all fat people handicap stickers on their cars so they don't have to walk as far? Give them all tax-payer funded disability checks and wheelchairs and stair lifts in their houses so they don't have to move as much?

People think that their poor health choices make them deserve pity and special treatment from everyone else. The term disability is being used too loosely and it's insulting to people with legitimate disabilities. Why should all the scooters in grocery stores and all the handicap parking spaces be taken by someone who could use the little bit of extra exercise, when an 85 year old war vet or someone with an illness/disorder (cancer, CF, CP, etc.) needs it more? Come on people, have some responsibility for yourself and your choices.

(I'm talking about BEING fat, as in choosing to scoop up your half gallon of ice cream with twinkies while watching entire seasons of tv shows on netflix in one sitting fat. NOT fat as a side effect of another REAL disability.)

You sound like you're a bit of *kitten*.

HEY! I THOUGHT YOUR WERE A FEMINIST! Either way, I agree with you on this one. :laugh:

A questionable word choice for sure. No regrets though :wink:
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    If being fat is a disability, why not give all fat people handicap stickers on their cars so they don't have to walk as far? Give them all tax-payer funded disability checks and wheelchairs and stair lifts in their houses so they don't have to move as much?

People think that their poor health choices make them deserve pity and special treatment from everyone else. The term disability is being used too loosely and it's insulting to people with legitimate disabilities. Why should all the scooters in grocery stores and all the handicap parking spaces be taken by someone who could use the little bit of extra exercise, when an 85 year old war vet or someone with an illness/disorder (cancer, CF, CP, etc.) needs it more? Come on people, have some responsibility for yourself and your choices.

(I'm talking about BEING fat, as in choosing to scoop up your half gallon of ice cream with twinkies while watching entire seasons of tv shows on netflix in one sitting fat. NOT fat as a side effect of another REAL disability.)

I just spit out my water.

Remember to unlog it from your food diary. :wink:
  • craig831
    craig831 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm overweight. I'm relatively active but still, I'm overweight. I play softball a couple nights a week, I golf most weekends, hit the driving range at least one night a week, ran a half marathon a few years back, and I have 10-12 5K's under my belt. The fact that I'm overweight is due to a lot of factors. I do have a severely underactive thyroid (275 mcg per day of synthroid) and I am a Type 1 diabetic that was diagnosed in my early 30's (runs in both sides of the family). Part of the joy of having both issues is that my endocrine system is pretty much screwed, meaning I deal with low testosterone levels, too. All of it adds up to being overweight.

However, the main reason I am overweight is that I have never cleaned up my eating habits and I've never gotten into the habit of working out every day. I have talked about it countless times and may have good intentions, but I still eat like crap too often and make excuses instead of trips to the gym. Using thyroid disease, low T, diabetes, etc, is a crutch. It gives a person built in excuses to lay around treating themselves like **** and feeling sorry for themselves. I've never been an excuse maker. I know I'm responsible for my current weight. My problem is motivation and I'm working on that as we speak. I get VERY annoyed at overweight people who have a list of built in excuses that think I agree with them just because I, too, am obese.

Want to feel better and have more stamina? Get off your *kitten* and start walking every day. Do some strength training. Want to lose weight? Put down the pop tarts and eat an apple. Stop reaching for excuses and start reaching for a jump rope.

No, being overweight is NOT a disability!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

I just spit out my water.

Remember to unlog it from your food diary. :wink:

lol k!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Few things sincerely bug me more than seeing a morbidly obese person using the electric carts meant for the disabled and elderly at the store. Like, really??? So, to answer your question, no, being fat is not a disability. You can't get SS for that anyway. Can you get it for the Beetus? I don't even know...

Because you know those morbidly obese don't have debilitating COPD or crippling arthritis. The nerve of those lazy fatties, taking carts away from people who truly need them.

Personally, I've never seen someone in a motorized scooter who didn't look like they desperately needed it, obese or not. And I have even spent more than my fair share of time and money in Wal-Marts (did I just say that out loud??)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

well aren't you a ray of sunshine.

rofl, yeah. We're back to my comment about "much socio"
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    To the man judging his "lazy" neighbor, how about you? You know her so well, why not try including her? Does it make you folks feel good about yourselves to speak about others with such righteous overtones? Grow up already.

I include her as little as possible. I tolerate her because my wife doesn't have as big of an issue with her as I do. As I stated before, being fat and lazy is only one of her problems....she is a sack of s**t. She games the welfare system, she was/is a s**ty mother (two of her three kids are in prison). She's had numerous dogs taken away because she'll just open her front door to let them do their business, and some people have been bitten (not to mention she leaves the dog crap all over the place). I could go on and on. Why? Because I know this woman. I'm not generalizing about everyone, I'm speaking of one person that I know.

As for growing up, do you know me, or this woman? Nice to meet you, kettle.

You are judging by what you see, You don't really know this person do you. You would be surprised what is really going on to her.

You know what, you're right. I should totally disregard the years of being around this lady, all the evidence I have observed, all the times her actions have justified my view in her. I should listen to a random stranger on the Internet who has never met me or this woman and believe that it just isn't possible for some people in this world to be rotten to the core.

There are plenty who are horrible, rotten people. I've never met this woman or you and won't argue one bit about it. I've met some, and it can be hard to believe just how horrible some people can be, and mean to be!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I'd search the forums. There was another thread about this same subject and it didn't go well...

Here's the thing, maybe the person on food stamps has a kid and maybe only on their birthday do they get things like cake, soda, candy, ice cream, etc and all the other days they eat amazingly...but that ONE special day should they not be allowed to use food stamps for food (because that's what all of that is) because it's monitored...and who gets to decide what people can or can't buy? That's a rabbit hole I don't think anyone should go down.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

It seems to be in your best interest...

I kinda suggested that awhile back...that until she did more research, thought long before she spoke, try to see things from all sides and if she didn't want to do that then she should keep quiet on things she knows nothing about.
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree that being overweight is not a disability. I am 5'7 and 319 pounds, which is morbidly obese, and I can still walk and exercise. I do struggle from depression and I can say from experience that depression does make you eat when you get into that depressed funk. However, there is medication for depression so a person won't have as many attacks.

It sounds to me like your co-worker was using the depression as a crutch and I hope she can get through it with medication and help.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I work at Vocational Rehabilitation, and I can tell you that as a state agency that works with people with disabilities, it CAN BE considered a disability. We use it for eligibility when it is related to diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, etc. and when a person is considered morbidly obese. A disability is defined as a condition that impacts a persons ability to perform a job, so you cannot possibly tell me that a person who has diabetes that is not controlled and weight 350 lbs does not have limitations. In these cases, it is my job to help the person get their diagnoses under control, including healthy weight loss.

Ah ha! Here it is! Actual facts for those of you interested in the answer to the OP's question.

I imagine this may vary somewhat state-by-state.

Service provision varies by state, but the definitions for disability comes from the federal regulations. All Vocational Rehabilitations are state/fed agencies: federal guidelines, fed/state funding match, state service provision.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Quote from OP in another thread...
    No shaming is ok and its just as bad to call someone out for being too skinny...

you have to judge a person from what is inside not outside and i know that sounds cheesy but its true. never judge a book by its cover but it might have a ratty cover and be the best damn book you have ever read!!

So which is it? Judge or don't...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    On Wed my boss had to go to a 3 hour meeting about FMLA. She came back and said that there are key words that if you hear them being used you should direct your employee to HR..such as migraine, diabetes and such.

Joking around, I asked if fat was a key word....I picked up that can marked worms and broke it wide *kitten* open!! Everyone had an opinion...mine is its not a disability because you can do something about it. Someone brought up thyroid, ok thats a medical condition with weight gain as a side effect, but Jenny Worth became Ms Fitness Olympia with a thyroid condition so yes you have to work harder but its not a fat sentence by any means.

THEN the "victim" that sits next to me and has already had a lap band and lost some weight and gained some of it back....brought up depression and that making you eat and you cant help it....sorry I am calling bull on this one.....no quit being a victim and get off your *kitten* and do something!!!

So please tell me you thoughts? Oh and my parting comment....tell the person sitting in the wheelchair that being overweight is a disability....

I'm sure HR just lurves you. Dust off your resume and be very careful in the future as you just self painted a target on your back. Best of luck.