Ice cream issues

Replies

• Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    I live in Canada and the B&J is $6 for a 1/2 pint when it's on sale! I'm too cheap to buy it.
    Is it that expensive in the US?

I spring for the Nestlé Real Dairy when it comes on sale but I have to be careful and not take a nosedive in to the carton.

It doesn't look like Talenti is available where I live so I guess I have to suffer through life without it. :sad:
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    I thought McConnel's is only available in Ventura and Santa Barbara, CA - did see it for sale in Napa last weekend. You found it in NYC? I know my regional ice creams :)
    Best ice cream is JP Licks in Boston and I miss it so. Love my ice cream... also had it for breakfast this am.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    I'm kinda glad, I can't get that where I live.......
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Ice-cream without any of THIS:

WHEAT FLOUR, CORN SYRUP, SOYBEAN OIL, BUTTEROIL, BAKING POWDER , BAKING SODA, GUAR GUM, SOY LECITHIN,, CARRAGEENAN, LACTASE

has got MY vote! :bigsmile:

(Sorry Ben & Jerry's!:laugh: )
    If I recall correctly, you invitation to this thread was lost in the mail, not sure how you found us.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I do like my own, but the OP ice-cream looks tasty!!! :bigsmile:
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Frack yeah!! Ice Cream!!!!

5716736.jpg
  • sistrsprkl
    You live in Queens and had pizza shipped to you?! I used to live in Queens and found plenty of good pizza, probably too much.
  • Birder155
    I don't mean to get all serious in a light-hearted thread but I have to ask a question.

For those of you who used to pig out on ice cream, and I'm sure some of you have, how did you train yourselves to eat a reasonably sized portion?

If I have some outside of the house, I'm ok. I eat it, it's done and I'm not pining for more.
    But once it's in the house, I can't stop thinking about it and have trouble controlling it.

Is it because you gave yourself permission to eat it and the craving for it went away because it wasn't off limits anymore?

I'd love to know, seriously, how you guys overcame the need to overeat it if you wouldn't mind sharing.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    ice cream to me is like crack to a junkie ... i treat myself to it though because otherwise ill buy a half gallon and eat it till i fall over .. usually a stop at mcdonalds for a .49 cent soft serve ice cream cone is enough for me
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    I love ice cream but I kinda just want to land face first in that jar of caramel.

THIS.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    I don't mean to get all serious in a light-hearted thread but I have to ask a question.

For those of you who used to pig out on ice cream, and I'm sure some of you have, how did you train yourselves to eat a reasonably sized portion?

If I have some outside of the house, I'm ok. I eat it, it's done and I'm not pining for more.
    But once it's in the house, I can't stop thinking about it and have trouble controlling it.

Is it because you gave yourself permission to eat it and the craving for it went away because it wasn't off limits anymore?

I'd love to know, seriously, how you guys overcame the need to overeat it if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Somewhat serious answer--->I look to see that once I have logged for the day, if I have room I eat it, if not then it sits. It takes a while to accept each thing in moderation, but once you do, life does get more fun. So, you can either pre-log for a day and make room, or log everything and see if there is room. Works for me.
  • sistrsprkl

I used to eat a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's fro yo when I was bigger. Now, I'll eat smaller portions of full fat ice cream but I try not to keep it around. I have 2 small children and take them out for ice cream often, sometimes I'll get some with them, sometimes I won't. I think it's all about balance and moderation... nothing new ;)
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    OMG, that looks soooo good!

Ice cream is my downfall, I simply cannot have it in my house. At least you waited until morning to eat yours. If I know there is ice cream in my freezer and I wake up during the night I will go grab a spoon and stand in front of the freezer and eat several bites.
    Of course I tell myself "only one bite". As if!

Now I'll occasionally get a soft serve ice cream cone at a drive through- that seems to tame the ice cream tiger in me.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    I thought McConnel's is only available in Ventura and Santa Barbara, CA - did see it for sale in Napa last weekend. You found it in NYC? I know my regional ice creams :)
    Best ice cream is JP Licks in Boston and I miss it so. Love my ice cream... also had it for breakfast this am.

I second JP Licks having the best ice cream. :love:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

I plan out my day, hitting my protein and fat and micros as close as I can, then I look at the space I have left and carefully fill it in. I start with two snacks (usually yogurt or fruit or a bowl of cereal) then dessert. I keep gelatos, full fat, froyo, and light ice cream as well as cookie dough and brownies I've baked and frozen; and then I basically play mix and match until I'm satisfied with what I see.

Then I eat my meals and my snacks and for me, as an individual, know that my dessert is there and it fits perfectly keeps me happy and from feeling like I need *more* because there will always be room for *more* tomorrow. So, tl;dr: A mixture of prelogging and 'giving myself permission', I guess.
  • Birder155
    Somewhat serious answer--->I look to see that once I have logged for the day, if I have room I eat it, if not then it sits. It takes a while to accept each thing in moderation, but once you do, life does get more fun. So, you can either pre-log for a day and make room, or log everything and see if there is room. Works for me.
    I used to eat a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's fro yo when I was bigger. Now, I'll eat smaller portions of full fat ice cream but I try not to keep it around. I have 2 small children and take them out for ice cream often, sometimes I'll get some with them, sometimes I won't. I think it's all about balance and moderation... nothing new ;)
    I plan out my day, hitting my protein and fat and micros as close as I can, then I look at the space I have left and carefully fill it in. I start with two snacks (usually yogurt or fruit or a bowl of cereal) then dessert. I keep gelatos, full fat, froyo, and light ice cream as well as cookie dough and brownies I've baked and frozen; and then I basically play mix and match until I'm satisfied with what I see.

Then I eat my meals and my snacks and for me, as an individual, know that my dessert is there and it fits perfectly keeps me happy and from feeling like I need *more* because there will always be room for *more* tomorrow. So, tl;dr: A mixture of prelogging and 'giving myself permission', I guess.

Thanks!
  • i do that too
  • you are right on the money with that one