Best Thing Ever Said to You By a Stranger

Replies

• jenniferv38
    jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
    One morning I heard the garbage truck coming down the street and suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to take the garbage to the curb. I threw on some shoes and ran across the front yard and waved the garbage man down. He stopped and waited for me to drag the garbage to the side of the road. When I thanked him for stopping, he said he would stop for me any time because I smelled so good...LOL. Yes, I get the fact that he is a garbage man and he literally smells garbage and crap all day long but a compliment is a compliment. It still made my day.

I had to pee super bad and when I finally made it to a public bathroom, I sat down and peed for what felt like 5 minutes. When I walked out of the stall to wash my hands, the lady at the sink told me she wished she had my bladder.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Thank you everyone for sharing! I loved reading all the wonderful things said to us.

You just never know when someone is thinking you are fantastic.
  • thinkbean
    thinkbean Posts: 25 Member
    I honestly love reading these! I need to pay more attention to random stranger kindness.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Keep working out. You look sexy.
  • A good friend of mine who is gay, told me that i had a very pretty face, and my eyes were spectacular; and she had noticed that I had lost a tremendous amount of weight so far, and could she kiss me? hmmm. never had any female ask me that before!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I used to work in a department store and one day I was helping a woman who had a four year old daughter. The little girl was staring at me in silence and looked shocked. The mother looked at me, laughed and said "Oh...she thinks you're The Little Mermaid". It was so sweet and genuine. It really made my day.

That's SO cute!!! :-)
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Talking to a stranger and she thought my husband was my dad. LOL made my day
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    I will never forget this as long as I live. I went to a women's college and our chorale did a tour of three European countries. One day we were riding in a bus through Italy and I was sitting in a window seat reading a book. Suddenly I heard one of the chaperone dads say, "Hey Cindy, I think you're attracting some attention." I looked out the window and a convertible full of Italian men was driving alongside, waving and smiling and whistling at me. I think I probably turned 18 shades of red and ducked down in my seat. I always had a low opinion of my looks and got embarrassed by any little attention, and especially considering it was a bus full of college aged, beautiful girls I couldn't figure out why they had singled me out. But it was incredibly flattering and a good story to tell now.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    I had a doctor's appointment last Monday and I got a small round of applause from my nurse and the person she was training--I lost over 15% of my weight since my last visit--they told me they were proud of me.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    At the pool and had a lawyer come up and mention she was single a few times in the midst of convo.
    Then after complimenting my belly - she offered to take me back to her place for some wine.

^the fact that she could have been older than my mother was no deterrent, rather it was because I was doing an HIIT pool day :wink:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I LOVE getting compliments on my kids! That makes me as proud as can be that others see in them what I see and love.

As for me getting a compliment, I do have one that always sticks in my head. It was a good 20 years back though lol. I was in really good shape, in my early 20's, and I played competitive volleyball while in college. I was out playing sand one night and had one of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen walk right up to me smiling and ask if I was a model. Never happened before, and never happened since, but for that brief moment, in all my vanity and pride, I felt pretty good. :)
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    I've had several lovely comments from a staffer at my gym - a lovely lady with a beautiful smile who keeps everyone happy when she works - and they really make me happy:

- (Said while I was wearing my fave tank top after a workout:) "You look like such a strong woman! And you've got such nicely developed traps!"
    - (Said post-workout, during stretching after a big run:) "You look positively radiant! You sweat beautifully!"

Yeah, the sweat comment was kinda funny, but it does make me feel really happy. For me, I like sweating and I couldn't care less about how I look, but if she compliments other ladies about sweating beautifully too, it makes me hope that other ladies will stop caring about how they look in the gym and start caring more about how great getting your sweat on can feel.

Another comment made my day several years ago:
    I was getting off the bus with a stranger, a middle-aged man who was pulling out a pack of smokes. As we were getting off, he fumbles his pack of smokes and they scatter across the ground. He swears for a moment, but sighs and looks up at me. Automatically, I smile, and he instantly relaxes and leaves the cigs where they fell. Here's what he said to me as we walked away from the bus stop: "Some people's smiles make the world go 'round. Keep smiling, darling."

It made my day and it made me realize how powerful a simple smile can be.
  • Bostonsoul
    Bostonsoul Posts: 151 Member
    This happened a few days ago actually. I'm Mediterranean blooded so I tan very well, olive skin and all, and I have hazel eyes. I was with some friends at lunch and the girl taking my order just said "wow...your eyes are beyond amazing." She had nothing to gain (was't working for tips) and it felt really good to hear.
  • teenaterror
    teenaterror Posts: 3 Member
    I was at my gym once just after I had turned 40. I was chatting with a woman about weight loss. She told me that when I hit finally hit 30 I'll find that weight loss will be much harder. Thank you very much kind stranger, you've already made my day.

And my second favorite was when my new Gyno (who used to be a Dermatologist) asked me how long I'd been doing Botox...ahh, never.
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    1) a woman who was clearly on her own weight loss joruney told me that I was her hero! I was very humbled
    2) I've gotten compliments on my back progress! I got excited because I feel like my back progress was lacking since I cannot really see my back :p
    3) A guy asked if I was married; to which I said "yes" and he said that my husband better hold on to me tightly
  • Sunshine1337
    Sunshine1337 Posts: 56 Member
    I was told I have the best smile! It made me smile even more and happier inside.:happy:
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Someone hit on my wife on the train a week after we married (14 years ago), so she showed him her weding ring, to which he replied (words to the effect of) "dammit, someone beat me to it".

I went into a pub last week that I used to lunch at regularly (although I haven't been in there since before I started dieting) and the barmaid recognised me (but I don't know her, so technically a stranger) and said "bloody hell, you've lost weight".
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    I was walking through Wal-Mart. I was feeling kind of depressed, It was ToM and I had gained about 5lbs in water. This little boy stared at me as I passed him and his dad, then I overheard him say "Daddy, She's reeeeally beautiful..." Kinda made me tear up a little bit. :blushing:
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member

lol gotta love those doctor's office compliments! I've had those too. The weirdest are gyno appointments and they're saying how youthful your lady bits are...AWKWARD. But even now at 37 I am more than happy with those kind of compliments.

Hmm, I've NEVER gotten that compliment from my gyno. Wow, now THAT'S awkward for me, lol!

Not gonna lie but that is a seriously unprofessional comment for a doctor to say and that could honestly be taken as harrassment
  • WaKay
    WaKay Posts: 314
    When my daughters were young we'd go out to eat about once a week and just chat. That day we were talking about how all our days had gone and what they'd learned in school, etc. A couple at the next table was leaving and stopped to say that my girls were very well behaved (they were) and that they thought I was a great mom. Since it's the most important job I have, I really loved that comment.