Doesn't anybody dead lift?

Options

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the gym/area. Free weights section in my gym is usually crowded. Thankfully, it's a pretty large gym with two squat racks, a power cage, and an open area with the rubberized plates. Once it was full to the point that I had to wait for an olympic barbell. I see a lot of people doing squats, DLs, cleans, etc. in different variations quite regularly. DLs are one of my favorite lifts.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do em! And yep, I've got new improved hamstrings, booty and back!! :) haha

It REALLY helps with lifting my daughter all day as well. Going to have to do it for life, so really trying to have a strong body and DL's work for that :) About to go do some now!
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts are my favorite exercise, followed by skull crushers. So I do them pretty regularly (but do mix it up). I see other people at my gym do them (albeit not the majority), and my trainer is a big fan of them. But I can imagine that there are places where they are unusual.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    DLs are my favourite

I wish fewer people at my Gym did dead lifts and squats.. Already put the suggestion in to get more equipment because it's always being used.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Is STL just weird?

Yes, toasted ravioli is pretty damning evidence.

I just read a food article about thirty minutes ago that mentioned toasted ravioli as Missouri's favorite comfort food... anyway.

I don't see anyone dead lift here either.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I do them at home... too many people at the gym... soooo I bought my own bar, so I can lift at my own pace and not worry about having to wait for equipment.. or feel like I am getting in someone else's way...
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've been doing Stronglifts for 5 weeks and never seen anyone dead lift. I've only seen 2 other people do free weight squats plus 3 others doing them using a squat machine. I've seen no one doing a standard press but all 4 bench press stations are normally full with the chesticle guys. I've only seen one other person do rows. If you lift free weights, you are kind of a freak in my fitness centre. Welcome to the freaks:happy:

This^^^^ everytime I go to use the squat rack it's always full!!! very annoying only seems to be open at 7am on sunday morning

There are quite a few people who use the squat rack at my Y. I try to go very early in the morning so I can use it. I've noticed that several load the bar up with a lot of weight then do some circuit that only brings them back about every 20 minutes. I wasn't sure of the etiquette of asking to work in when I'm using so much less weight. Suggestions?

I don't have any advice. I'm too shy to ask them if I can work in :/
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I live in STL and I deadlift and other people in my gym deadlift. Maybe just depends on the gym?

and toasted ravioli is awesome!
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Maybe its just because of the specific times I go to my gym but I never see anyone on the leg press, and only one other dude does squats. that same guy does straight leg deads....but i've never seen anyone do actual deadlifts.

Except me of course.
  • laureneliset
    laureneliset Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do, but only because when I was assigned a PT at my gym I got one who was really into Olympic lifting. I've noticed it's only him and one other trainer who do this regularly with their clients. I never would have tried it otherwise as I don't think I saw the point of it beforehand. Now of course I love it. And of course the attention I get for being usually the only woman in the free weights section lifting as heavy as some of the guys there!
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I live in STL and I deadlift and other people in my gym deadlift. Maybe just depends on the gym?

and toasted ravioli is awesome!

Where are you working out, can I ask? I'm at the Carondelet Park YMCA.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't because I can't find the dead lift bar at my gym. I just do squats and leg presses.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't because I can't find the dead lift bar at my gym. I just do squats and leg presses.

There are dumbbell deadlifts as well.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I do them at home... too many people at the gym... soooo I bought my own bar, so I can lift at my own pace and not worry about having to wait for equipment.. or feel like I am getting in someone else's way...

Same here - I do them at home. I never saw many people doing DL and there wasn't much space to do them. I would be setting up in any open space I could find and always felt like I was in everyone's way. Plus, waiting for the one squat rack where someone was doing curls was frustrating.

I talked my husband into builing a squat rack for our home gym. Problem solved.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    A lot of people at my gym do.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The olympic bar? I just grab it off the squat rack, or if the power rack is free, I'll deadlift in there. When I do my barbell complexes (which include deadlifts), I grab a bar off a bench press machine because it's the highest concentration of barbells (so more likely that one is free).
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    What the hell is STL?

When I used to go to the gym (thankfully those days are over, yay for lifting at home!), I noticed that people rarely deadlifted. I've only been a member of one gym, so I have no clue what goes on anywhere else. I'm not sure what that's about, though...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    What the hell is STL?

When I used to go to the gym (thankfully those days are over, yay for lifting at home!), I noticed that people rarely deadlifted. I've only been a member of one gym, so I have no clue what goes on anywhere else. I'm not sure what that's about, though...
    My guess is straight leg (as opposed to SL which could be straight leg or single leg). Some people even do SLSLDLs. :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I currently lift at home but the gym in my town is full of power lifters so there are lots of compound lifts going on there...I DL

at least I expect there to be...I will report back since i have a trial membership...

oh and wth do you need a "deadlift" bar...use the bar you use for squats..