Doesn't anybody dead lift?

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't because I can't find the dead lift bar at my gym. I just do squats and leg presses.

I've been deadliting with barbells and dumbbells since day one. IT IS ONLY TODAY that I looked up different deadlifts and saw a picture of someone using what you just called "the deadlift bar." I've seen that bar in the gym and had not a clue as to what it was for.....UNTIL TODAY.

SO, moral of story, you can deadlift without a deadlift bar. However, I CAN'T WAIT to use it the next time I go to the gym.

Are y'all talking about a deadlift bar or a trap bar? BIG difference.

It has a hole in it for your body.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    deadlifts are my favorite!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't because I can't find the dead lift bar at my gym. I just do squats and leg presses.

I've been deadliting with barbells and dumbbells since day one. IT IS ONLY TODAY that I looked up different deadlifts and saw a picture of someone using what you just called "the deadlift bar." I've seen that bar in the gym and had not a clue as to what it was for.....UNTIL TODAY.

SO, moral of story, you can deadlift without a deadlift bar. However, I CAN'T WAIT to use it the next time I go to the gym.

That's a hex/trap bar then
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • StunningLegerity
    StunningLegerity Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm in STL and I deadlift :happy:
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Out of the 20-30 people that are at my gym every morning when I workout, only myself and 2 other people dead-lift on a regular basis.

As others have said, I think a lot of people are afraid of them, because they don't know correct form for them and think they are going to hurt their lower back. I used to have back issues before I deadlifted. Now that I deadlift, my core, hamstring and glutes are much stronger, and I haven't had any back issues in years.

They are great compound exercise that hits a ton of muscle groups. Keep on doing them!
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm in STL and I deadlift :happy:

Can I ask where? I'm at Carondelet Park Y.
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    Maybe they're just not dead lifting when you're there.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm from STL and I loooooove deadlifts. I workout at home, which is probably why you've never seen me. BTW, hate IMOs and toasted ravioli.
  • ROBINSTL67
    Options
    Maybe they're just not dead lifting when you're there.

Maybe, but I tend to lurk on the treadmill or in the hot tub at various times of day/week, so they must be pretty sneaky!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I work out at a Lifetime Fitness. It has a huge free weight area, and people deadlift all the time. I see people doing compound lifts all the time too. One of the reasons I like this gym...
  • ROBINSTL67
    Options
    I'm from STL and I loooooove deadlifts. I workout at home, which is probably why you've never seen me. BTW, hate IMOs and toasted ravioli.

Gooey butter cake perhaps?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it depends largely on the kind of gym you go to. My gym is primarily free weights with few machines...most people do some variation of the compound lifts so it's not unusual to see people doing some variation of dead lifts.

I would think this would be far more unusual somewhere like the YMCA.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

Gooey butter cake perhaps?

Actually I make my own, better than anything you can get in a bakery.
  • superman_149
    Options
    I usually arrange my workouts so that anything involving a squat rack/deadlift mat is done well outside of peak hours. This way I can avoid the maze of shaker bottles, mag/carb powder, and guys who sit on the safety bars bragging to eachother about how they workout so hard the **** themselves. Maybe there are more like me-people who roam the night looking for an empty gym. We're there, but you won't see us...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The olympic bar? I just grab it off the squat rack, or if the power rack is free, I'll deadlift in there. When I do my barbell complexes (which include deadlifts), I grab a bar off a bench press machine because it's the highest concentration of barbells (so more likely that one is free).

Yeah, there's not really a deadlift "bar" or even spot at my gym. I either use the power rack, or I use one of the extra bars they have and find space where ever I can.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It depends on the gym, our club, one of the biggest in Ontario, trains out of the Y in St. Catharines 4 times a week. There's always lots of deadlifting going on.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on the gym. Our gym is really geared for strength. I see both guys and girls do proper form on all composite lifts.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie and doing my first deadlift this afternoon. Although I may not be doing anything super heavy today, hopefully I can be lifting with the big guys this time next year! ! You are an inspiration.... Lift on !
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    What's a deadlift? Can you eat one?