Has anyone else quit drinking alcohol completely?

Options

Replies

• kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I credit a 12 Step Program for my sobriety, at least initially. I couldn't have done it without the support and the meetings. Last drink was June 6, 1993, 20+ years ago.
  • beefreetwo
    Options
    I too xmas eve 2013 stopped after reading allen cars book as well. fantastic.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Never was one for drinkin', I'll enjoy the occasional wine tasting but I have just as much fun as other people do NOT drinking, and I don't have to deal with the bloating, headache and general malaise associated with drinking more than a couple.
  • I gave up drinking on 1/1/14... I don't miss the feeling if being hungover, bloated, and way too full at all! Best decision I ever made
  • Carnline2
    Options
    I gave up drinking fourish years ago. I started a family. I was never very good at moderation. So I just think about how much milk or gas I can buy for the cost of a bottle. I wish I could reason away my naughtier foods that way. I lost one of my favorite friends this week. I was asked if I wanted a drink. It was easy to say no I had to drive a long distance that night. What wasn't easy was puting out of my mind was the amount and kinds of chocolate I wanted to eat. So my solution was I bought one Carmelo bar. Not the king size either. I stopped that impulse. Then I got the chocolate home and put it in the freezer. So I have it close so I am not with out. We shall see how long it lives.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking right after looking up the calories in what I used to drink the day I signed up on this site. I was never a heavy drinker but could easily down half-bottle of wine when going out for dinner and would probably get drunk 2-3 times a month. I dont even miss it and feel so much better for it
  • 1PearlyMargaret
    1PearlyMargaret Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think I have developed an intolerance. It makes me physically sick after consumption all the way into the next day (hangovers). I'm sick of being sick. Plus, I am approaching 30 and trying to hold onto any last shred of youth as I can. Not only does alcohol inadvertently give me pimples (because my lowered immune system cannot fight the acne bacteria when alcohol lowers it), but I become blotchy and dry- all over my body! And just the thought that my lovely fruits and veggies are not nourishing my body while alcohol is in my blood stream is enough for me to quit. I have been sober for one year and 3 months and not looking back :) good luck!
  • kellyirene77
    kellyirene77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great Job on quitting! I have been sober 14 years and 4 months. I was a very heavy drinker and it had a horrible impact on my life. I got sober with the help of an in patient rehab, AA, good friends and family and most importantly God. My life now is a million times better. I still crave when life gets stressful but the cravings are not as bad and there is more time between them. Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did but it was also the best thing I ever did. Don't give up and if you need support send me a friend request.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Na I like getting drunk too much. I can go a month or two without any if I need to but that's never the case.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I give it up frequently and repeatedly
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

That's what she said.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

That's what she said.

Whoever she is, I like her.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    my drinking consists of the occasional dram of single malt. A glass or 2 of red wine during the week with meals. And the odd shot of tequlia for special occasions. It's all about moderation.
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I quit out of economic neccessity. Either the booze or food. I chose food.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my first child, 29 years ago, I just stopped drinking. I also transfered to Italy at that time, and drinking is not part of the culture. After my son was born, I had no desire for alcohol at all. Now, if I even have a small glass of prosecco I get a buzz immediately. So, I don't have alcohol very often--special occasions.
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Didn't have to quit, I just never started. I'm 32 now and have never been drunk, I can count on one hand the times I did drink when I was younger...I never liked it. It's just not for me.

I applaud your decision to quit! You are awesome! Think of all the empty calories you will be saving! :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I did for two months. Now I sometimes drink on weekends. Up to like 3 drinks per 7 day period.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I just recently made this decision after reading a wonderful book (How to Stop Drinking the Easy Way by Allen Carr if anyone is interested). It really opened my eyes to my drinking and made me see things in a different light. I had my last drinks Saturday and I am looking forward to getting healthy. I've been drinking heavily pretty much since my college days (I am 38 now) with the exception of my three pregnancies (which is also the only times I've actually lost weight in the past 10 years because I've stopped drinking...mostly anyway). I have tried cutting back but it never sticks (sometimes not even past that day when I decided to cut back). Clearly I'm not someone who does moderation well and it was hurting my health, my finances, and most importantly I wasnt there as much as I wanted to be or should be for my three young children. I was there physically but often I was counting the minutes until bedtime so I could drink more, didn't do as much as I should with them because I wanted to stay home and drink, etc.

I'm only a few days into this journey but with the help of the book it already feels different. Gone is the anxious feeling I usually have when I am trying to abstain. I'm not saying I don't think about having a drink but it's a fleeting thought right now and I realize I'd like not to have a drink more than I would like to have one. I credit the book for this change in thinking. I'm not sure how he does it but it works. So, far I feel really, really good and I'm enjoying myself much more and finding I have much more time on my hands than usual (I guess that is what happens when you don't spend every night sloshed every morning fighting the slight hangover). I am sure it won't always be easy but I feel confident I can do this.

Has anyone else made this decision and been down the path? Any advice? What positive changes did you notice? Have you lost weight just from cutting the booze?

And I'd love some fellow "quitters" for friends if you want to add me! Support is always great!

That is known as the pink cloud. Everything is all good and easy till one day the struggle gets real difficult.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I seem to have inadvertently stopped. Mum will offer me a glass of wine now and again if we go there.. . and I just think of it as a waste of calories. I'd rather have chocolate. Once I looked at it in that light, I realised I don't miss it at all!

I still have an ocassional drink or two, but like you said, it's a waste of calories, I'd rather have chocolate too. :)
    Same here...I just have no desire for it anymore.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my first child, 29 years ago, I just stopped drinking. I also transfered to Italy at that time, and drinking is not part of the culture. After my son was born, I had no desire for alcohol at all. Now, if I even have a small glass of prosecco I get a buzz immediately. So, I don't have alcohol very often--special occasions.

How is drinking not part of the Italian culture? 36 different kinds of liqueurs are from Italy; vermouth is Italian; not to mention Grappa; then, there are over 350 grape varietals that are grown in Italy for the making of wine, and Italy is the second biggest producer of wines in Europe, behind France; Peroni and Nastro Azzurro are merely 2 of the many beers brewed in Italy.....

Anyway, I drink very little now. I don't have the tolerance I used to have.