Does anyone here eat real food?

Options

Replies

• curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had a lovely meal planned last night only for my other half telling me he was taking me out to the pictures! So a 3 scoop Ben and Jerry's it was then. bigsmile love
    The loss of my dinner wasn't missed!

Congrats on enjoying the meal! :)
  • paleonista
    paleonista Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try to only eat non processed so I prep almost every meal at home
  • HappyButton
    Options
    I'm looking for more ideas for my lunches and dinners, BUT I only eat things that could be prepared in an ordinary kitchen using items that our ancestors would readily recognize apart from minor diversions when I go out to eat! (Ben and Jerrys!):bigsmile:

You can do Asian beef and rice. Simple and Yummy :ground beef cooked with a fusion of soy sauce and brown sugar( small amounts for flavor) over jasmine rice with green onion topping.

Husband and kid approved! :)
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Suggested alternative thread title " has anyone any recipes to share using fresh ingredients?"

Result = no snark, no pushing of fad diets, and possibly a lot more recipes for you to try
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Suggested alternative thread title " has anyone any recipes to share using fresh ingredients?"

Result = no snark, no pushing of fad diets, and possibly a lot more recipes for you to try

:drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Op, have you ever tried Dr. Oz's raspberry keytones? I'm fairly certain that they are real.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    In the summer I like eating wraps -usually a whole wheat tortilla, regular cheese (around 60-70calories worth), am protein (ham, turkey, or chicken) and veggies (cucumber, and sprouts and sometimes black beans)). In the winter I love vegetable packed soup that. I make at home... you can get a good serving with low calories and low salt. I try to avoid prepared foods as much as possible
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Real food is the only way to go. Lean meat, portioned according to your protein allowance. Fresh veggies, some raw, some steamed. Love broccoli, spinach, collard greens, bell peppers, cucumbers,zucchini, squash, fresh tomatoes. Carbs can be portions according to allowance: rice, noodles, pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes. Don't forget about fresh fish: We eat salmon and tilapia bought fresh from Kroger. Don't like the frozen fish because no idea how old it is. Fresh tastes much better. Sprinkle a bit of Mrs. Dash and some parmesan/romano cheese on top and bake. Delicious!

Can I just say, since the fillets are flash frozen shortly after being caught, they're actually nutritionally 'younger' than the fresh stuff you buy :)

Have to agree, had some salmon that was flash frozen an hour after it was caught a year ago and it was far better than any "fresh"from Kroger. Check with your fish guy, much of the fish in "fresh" display was thawed that morning.
  • etteine
    etteine Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerate, so I tend to eat plain food. I love oven baked chicken breast-I use gluten free bisquick-you can use regular bread crumbs, or Italian. I mix in some parmesan cheese-dip in gluten free, or regular flour, then egg, then crumbs. Put on a cookie sheet and put 2-3 tbsp. of melted butter when you use 3 full boneless breasts. Serving size is about 1/2 or a little more of a breast at 310 calories. One easy food is a small chili from Wendy's at 180 calories, and I put it on a couple of cups of plain lettuce and veges-it's actually good. I find I eat alot of veges like cauliflower, and broccoli which are very low in calorie as part of my meals. Flavored rice cakes with powdered peanut butter (mixed) are great fillers. The peanut butter is called pb2, and it has 85% less fat(and calories) I love my sweets. Plain steak burgers, coated with my own blackened seasoning are great ! I've lost 53 pounds and will be losing 20 more, and then stop.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, my ancestors ate Spam (at least 2 generations ago) and I'm not eating that.

I grill lots of chicken: some goes on salad, some gets letter chopped fine to make chicken salad, some goes into chicken pesto pasta with walnuts and broccoli. I also grill a sirloin steak, slice it thin and add it to stir fried veggies. I make spaghetti, tuna casserole, turkey chili, pork tenderloin, pot roast. Those are all recipes I can portion out in single serve containers and freeze. I also made tacos, grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken fajitas, etc. and other things that I do not freeze. Basically, I make lots of easy-to-prepare things and just make it work with my calories.
  • twyliatepeka
    twyliatepeka Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I need to read all of the comments on this. I have chocolate filled twinkies logged in my diary like everyday this week. I wish I were a better cook :/
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    LOL people can not help themselves. Got to put down or make fun of what someone wants to do with their way of life. Just because it doesn't work for you does not mean it doesn't work for someone else. SMDH. If I had the energy to plant a garden and can everything in said garden, and raise my own chickens and pigs and beef I'd do that too. I just don't have the want to, but if you want to go for it. Personally I think nothing tastes better than fresh green beans from the garden or fresh corn on the cobb. I personally think it tastes so much better than all the stuff out of a can. I prefer making my own pasta, why because it tastes better, so very tender and yummy. I also enjoy eating my homemade cheesecakes way better than buying them from a store. But I enjoy eating bacon and ham and greek yogurt too. I may try my hand at homemade greek yogurt and mozzarella cheese one day but until then I'll buy it. I prefer ham slices over deli ham slices, both are processed but I like one better than the other. As a matter of fact tomorrow I'm making banana cupcakes with salted caramel/peanut butter buttercream frosting and it's all from scratch except the peanut butter and that's okay (but I do love home processed peanut butter, yum yum). We all want or like to eat what we eat.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm going to eat one of my absolute favorite summer foods. Yesterday a friend who has an organic farm gave me 8 pounds of organic summer tomatoes, all varieties, heirloom reds and yellows, Italian plum, round smaller red ones I don't know the name of, you name it.

I am taking a bunch of them, 3.5 pounds or 1587 grams, and cutting them in chunks. I saute a generous amount of chopped, (tonight 2 cups chopped) or sliced onion in olive oil till it is clear and beginning a brown. Then I add the tomato pieces and cook them down. They release a lot of water at first, and I cook that all off until I have the sweetest most syrupy sauce of tomatoes. I add some fresh hot pepper or dried hot pepper flakes at the end. It is seasoned with salt to taste as well.

It smells so good in here. I usually eat this over rice. but on the program, I'm not sure I want rice. Gotta think about it. But I'm telling you my nose is having a wonderful time smelling this simmering batch of summer tomatoes.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My ancestors ate this. I'm not going to!

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/czarina.html
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    LOL people can not help themselves. Got to put down or make fun of what someone wants to do with their way of life. Just because it doesn't work for you does not mean it doesn't work for someone else. SMDH. If I had the energy to plant a garden and can everything in said garden, and raise my own chickens and pigs and beef I'd do that too. I just don't have the want to, but if you want to go for it. Personally I think nothing tastes better than fresh green beans from the garden or fresh corn on the cobb. I personally think it tastes so much better than all the stuff out of a can. I prefer making my own pasta, why because it tastes better, so very tender and yummy. I also enjoy eating my homemade cheesecakes way better than buying them from a store. But I enjoy eating bacon and ham and greek yogurt too. I may try my hand at homemade greek yogurt and mozzarella cheese one day but until then I'll buy it. I prefer ham slices over deli ham slices, both are processed but I like one better than the other. As a matter of fact tomorrow I'm making banana cupcakes with salted caramel/peanut butter buttercream frosting and it's all from scratch except the peanut butter and that's okay (but I do love home processed peanut butter, yum yum). We all want or like to eat what we eat.

Eating real food will always work for everybody, all food is real, whether you make it yourself or not.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm going to eat one of my absolute favorite summer foods. Yesterday a friend who has an organic farm gave me 8 pounds of organic summer tomatoes, all varieties, heirloom reds and yellows, Italian plum, round smaller red ones I don't know the name of, you name it.

I am taking a bunch of them, 3.5 pounds or 1587 grams, and cutting them in chunks. I saute a generous amount of chopped, (tonight 2 cups chopped) or sliced onion in olive oil till it is clear and beginning a brown. Then I add the tomato pieces and cook them down. They release a lot of water at first, and I cook that all off until I have the sweetest most syrupy sauce of tomatoes. I add some fresh hot pepper or dried hot pepper flakes at the end. It is seasoned with salt to taste as well.

It smells so good in here. I usually eat this over rice. but on the program, I'm not sure I want rice. Gotta think about it. But I'm telling you my nose is having a wonderful time smelling this simmering batch of summer tomatoes.

Oh, my word!!! I am SOOOOOOO jealous, lucky you. We have potato blight really badly this year, which of course wipes out the tomato crop. Even the non - organic people using the latest anti fungal sprays are losing their crops.
    I can shut my eyes and smell your tomato sauce.
    I have a recipe for runner beans in tomato sauce that is to die for. Served hot with a bit of feta crumbled over and you don't need the rice!
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    My ancestors ate this. I'm not going to!

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/czarina.html

In the northern steppes of Russia with its long cold winters, you'd be thrilled to be able to get a cabbage harvested in the summer and make this. It comes with the climate. Where do you live? What grows well around you? Eat that.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    In the summer I like eating wraps -usually a whole wheat tortilla, regular cheese (around 60-70calories worth), am protein (ham, turkey, or chicken) and veggies (cucumber, and sprouts and sometimes black beans)). In the winter I love vegetable packed soup that. I make at home... you can get a good serving with low calories and low salt. I try to avoid prepared foods as much as possible
    A good suggestion, thank you. Soup is already my mainstay for the cooler months. I'll test out the wraps.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It's fortunate that Wendy's has been around since before I was born. So I'm counting it.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Eating real food will always work for everybody, all food is real, whether you make it yourself or not.

But eating "real food" without all that added sodium to enhance the flavor of it, tastes so much better. If you have to use flavor enhancers because you've processed all the flavor out in order to make it keep for months on the shelf is IMO silly. Why would you eat it processed to death then enhanced to bring flavor back to it along with all the artificial flavorings they put in it when you can have it freshly made and no need to add a butt ton of salt to it because it already has amazing flavor. Food is best, and I'm talking taste wise, not necessarily health wise, in it's original form, without all that processing and enhancing. That's the way I like it best.