Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    AROO! Week 7 Day 1 complete :) Thank you mother nature for making the rain stop!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Congrats, ftrobbie and Carla!

I was going to take advice and do a rest day but my Fitbit totals are scary low if I do. Thought about using the pool but it's a little dirty and I'd miss my app, music and book. So I did week 4, day 3 again. I might have a problem. :embarassed:
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just be careful. I have been where you are in the past, the enthusiasm for stretching the boundaries is quite rightly to be admired, encouraged and supported. However just like many New Year Resolutions, unless you are extremely dedicated it will become unsustainable. It is written as a 3 workout a week programme on alternate days because running does stress the body. I trained for national rowing championships in my youth and we did volume and HIIT type sessions. However we frequently did too many or too long HIIT sessions and ended up in a worse place than not doing them at all. I have learnt C210K for me at least is a 3 day a week programme. Now I am also a hypocrite because did I follow it exactly yesterday?. Well no, do I fell sore today? Slightly, do I regret it? Emphatically no. You live with your body, you know it's limits, just don't overdo it, get too sore and then have to take time out. That is when is when the doubts start. Look forward to each and every session with energy that can make it better than the last one. If you want to do something, go for a walk, park in the wrong lot and walk, take the long route rather than the direct route to somewhere. At work I leave for some meetings a couple of minutes earlier than some colleagues in the same office. Why? Because they will walk one side of the square, I will do three and get an extra 800 steps on a pedometer. Good luck to you and hope you are not too sore.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I'm still at such short, slow running amounts it practically is a walk. I think it's ok to do 16 mins. of cardio per day. :smile:
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Good for you, I wasn't sure how far you had progressed, doing a fair bit of walking is actually very good. A lot of bodybuilders walk for an hour in the morning to burn fat without taxing their muscle systems. I went walking for 10 weeks before starting C210k and was getting upto 8 miles a day. I started c210k because I was concerned that my kids were starting to show the ability to outrun me, both speed and stamina wise. Enjoy
  • reekiedee666
    Options
    Hi I only just joined this site but am just starting week 4 of C25K. I really dislike running but being determined to lose weight and having signed up for a charity event in sept I thought now was a good time to get started. The first week was hard and I hated it but
    the 2nd week was better and now I have finished the 3rd I'm afraid I have turned into a bit of a running bore. I really like being out early in the morning and now the aches and pains have subsided I actually enjoy it!! I have been dieting for about 3 months also and have lost 10lbs so this is keeping me motivated. I will never want to compete though, this is just a little time for me to be alone and reflect and exercise. Wish I'd started sooner x
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Hi I only just joined this site but am just starting week 4 of C25K. I really dislike running but being determined to lose weight and having signed up for a charity event in sept I thought now was a good time to get started. The first week was hard and I hated it but
    the 2nd week was better and now I have finished the 3rd I'm afraid I have turned into a bit of a running bore. I really like being out early in the morning and now the aches and pains have subsided I actually enjoy it!! I have been dieting for about 3 months also and have lost 10lbs so this is keeping me motivated. I will never want to compete though, this is just a little time for me to be alone and reflect and exercise. Wish I'd started sooner x

Welcome to the site, please update us on your progress, I think this has genuinely helped people who think they cannot do it. Well it helped me.

Good luck on your journey
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hello again everybody, I just started Week 4 yesterday and it was sooooo hard. I am determined to keep at it and will do day 2 tomorrow but I think I may be stuck repeating this one for a while. I just couldn't manage 5 minutes straight. I am 'Power Walking' the hills as I can't avoid them and am struggling (as I said before) to run them. All this support is brilliant! :smile:
  • improvement_not_perfection
    Options
    I was up to week 5 then stopped for a couple months, going to start again. I love it. It's exciting to know that I am actually running! even if it's slow lol - great job on starting and wishing you smooth sailing through the rest! :happy:

side note - I use zenlabs as well.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Good for you, I wasn't sure how far you had progressed, doing a fair bit of walking is actually very good. A lot of bodybuilders walk for an hour in the morning to burn fat without taxing their muscle systems. I went walking for 10 weeks before starting C210k and was getting upto 8 miles a day. I started c210k because I was concerned that my kids were starting to show the ability to outrun me, both speed and stamina wise. Enjoy
    Oh I agree that walking is great! See my user name! I have been an avid walker for many years.

I've been repeating the week 4 workouts since I don't feel ready to progress to longer runs. Yesterday I did a 45-minute Cardio Coach workout instead. It was nice to do some hill/incline intervals for a change.
  • blackgirlfit
    blackgirlfit Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    love c25k!
  • punkchic9590
    punkchic9590 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I just learned about c25k and am very interested in it. I just downloaded the app for it. I was wondering if it's better to do it while on a treadmill at the gym or better to do it just running outside. I am pretty out of shape and can't run for long amounts of time. Just want to make sure that I get the most out of it. Thanks!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I started in the gym but have found the error of my ways and am now running outside.

Pro of treadmill

You know exactly the speed you are going
    You can ensure that you put the effort in
    There is little risk in the environment
    It's dry
    It's air conditioned ( if your gym maintains the aircon, the failure that caused me to venture outside)

Cons

You get dialled into a pace regardless whether it is the correct one for you at the time, running outside you can listen to your body and adjust on the fly, I am going slower outside than on the treadmill
    It's boring, time passes slowly and I found I keep looking at the app to see how much longer the segment was
    Unless you have a treadmill at home, it takes more time, travel to and from rather than just going to the front door.

I am outside now, so unless there is severe inclement weather lasting for a while, I get outside.

Ultimately it's your choice and what you are comfortable with. C210k outside is definitely more fun for me, having done both. even running at the weekend in the rain.
  • AdventureVix
    AdventureVix Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I started ages ago and am definitely a week repeater. I'm on week 4 day 2 at the moment. ..I'm sure I'll finish it one day. I'm hoping to do a 5k in October :)
  • draugr_lord
    draugr_lord Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I actually just started it and completed Day 1 today. I'm a little sore (I've never done any running before), but looking forward to seeing how this ends up!
  • badcemom
    badcemom Posts: 50
    Options
    I am on Week 2 and have run both outside and on a treadmill. I think it's really a matter of personal preference. I think the treadmill seems a little "softer" and I like knowing exactly what my speed is at all times. Outside is fine, too, as long as the weather is good. Heat is a deal breaker for me. :)

Don't worry about being out of shape, you really do ease into it.
  • emcgehee1
    emcgehee1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm week 5 and have to do the 20 minute run tonight. I'm skeptical I can jump from 8 min. to 20 min. but I'm determined to try. Wish me luck.
  • dawnmj1121
    dawnmj1121 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am still "new". I have tried it several times and this is the farthest I have completed. I am starting Week 4 tomorrow. I currently do it at the gym however hope when I can run for a longer period of time I can do it outside as well.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I'm week 5 and have to do the 20 minute run tonight. I'm skeptical I can jump from 8 min. to 20 min. but I'm determined to try. Wish me luck.

Good luck but you do have to believe you can do it otherwise the self doubt will win. Master Yoda would say "Do or do not, there is no try" By the time I got to my 20 minuter last week, I knew I could do it and ran for thirty because it felt so good. W6D2 for me tonight post strength training session.
  • emcgehee1
    emcgehee1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Remember to go get fitted for proper running shoes. When I failed c25k last year I didn't have the right shoes and couldn't walk by week 5. I thought I just wasn't able to run anymore but turned out it was all about the shoes.