Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Quit C25k ... .injured myself in week 4 and will probably never run again. It is just not worth the risks. There are other things I can do that are not anywhere near as bad.

My physical therapist said that 50% of runners injure themselves every year. And he has done Ironman and many marathons and has been running forever .. and told me not to run unless it is my passion. But he did say that most of his profession is due to running injuries so it keeps him gainfully employed.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ran on the weekend with my son, we ran between 5-7 km, in a mini amazing race fashioned challenge in our town. Did not stretch afterwards, was a lot going on and I just forgot, then while walking with the kids, my daughter kicked my foot and it just jerked in the exact right way to feel like I pulled (strained) a muscle in my @ss. :( Owwy. Was hoping to get a run in today, but might take another recoup day just to be sure. On the plus side, my son and I tied for first place with another team :)
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Sarting Week 3 Day 1 today, I never imagined I would enjoy it this much!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    W6 D2 done this evening, but I seem to get slower and slower. Not sure whether this is the cumulative effect of keeping going on longer stints, or the fact that it is a different time of day and route. The intention is to redo a session on Wednesday morning and see how that goes.
  • carpetbelly
    carpetbelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    still repeating w1d1 until i can do it fully... but it's defo getting easier so I take that as a positive. Little steps :)
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    still repeating w1d1 until i can do it fully... but it's defo getting easier so I take that as a positive. Little steps :)

Given W1D1, W1D2 AND W1D3 are the same why not do all d2 and d3 and if you are not confident repeat the whole week. Mentally it might be easier, seeing some progression even if you decide to go back and reinforce the starting foundation
  • lubylu37
    lubylu37 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 4 Day 2 and blimey is this one a tuffy! I could quite easily give up as I'm struggling but I have a picture of my daughter in front of me and I look at that when I feel like giving up and she gives me my inspiration ...
  • carpetbelly
    carpetbelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Given W1D1, W1D2 AND W1D3 are the same why not do all d2 and d3 and if you are not confident repeat the whole week. Mentally it might be easier, seeing some progression even if you decide to go back and reinforce the starting foundation

ahh i see progression with the Nike+ app at least while I'm still going on... that's good enough :)
    But good idea though if I hadnt had the Nike+ app :)
  • ginnydragon1354
    Options
    I've been trying to get mine going, but I just can't seem to find the time to go! It's hot as a mo fo all day, and getting up early to "beat the heat" is tough, because my allergies are MURDER during the summer! Then work 3-9pm (or later), and my parents don't want me out running that late at night. >.<
  • imjustlisa
    imjustlisa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    me too, i am up to running two miles straight but can't get past the two mile mark!
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am on their 10K trainer. I LOVE running now. It is my escape.
  • mw49429
    mw49429 Posts: 5
    Options
    Please help me, I'm totally lost in this thread. How did you guys start this program?? I want to join a training program of some sort.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Please help me, I'm totally lost in this thread. How did you guys start this program?? I want to join a training program of some sort.

Try downloading the Zenlabs C25K app, it syncs with your phones music and is a great step by step program to begin running. Remember slow and steady wins the race. If you can't carry a conversation while you are running, then slow down. Speed will come later. Feel free to ask any questions on here everyone is very supportive and is going or has gone through the same thing you are about to attempt :happy:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a smart phone or device, you can also print the program on paper and use a timer to time the intervals yourself. Just google 'couch to 5k' or c25k, you'll find it written out. I think I got it from coolrunnings.com originally.

I took a day off yesterday since it'd been a couple weeks.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    The NHS in the UK also has podcasts which you can download from their website here

[url] http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Couch-to-5K-running-plan.aspx [/url]

or iTunes. Hope it helps.

Edited to hyperlink link but failed miserably
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    W6 D3 down his morning and faster than W5D3 last week, which was not the intention when I started out this morning but I'll take it. :bigsmile:
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love Couch to 5K! I started week 4 on Monday, and today is W4D2. I looked at what's in stores for week 5, and I'm scared! W5D3 is a 20 minute run...WTH?! I won't give up though.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    When you finish W5D2 the only difference between that and day 3 is that you skip the 5 min walk and make it 4 extra minutes of running. I felt so relieved at how the W3D5 went I carried on and did 30mins. I am now enjoying the rest of the programme knowing that I can do 30mins, but can I do 5k in the same time? I suspect I might just go for 5k however long it takes. You can do it, self doubt is your biggest hurdle. I have faith in you.
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just started week 3 - it suddenly got harder but when I know I just have 30 mins I can push myself. Good luck guys
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i want to, but to be honest im terrified. in school running in gym class was TORTURE for me. i watch extreme makeover weightloss edition and im so impressed with the level of fitness these people achieve while still obese, but i honestly dont believe that i have it in me :S