Women Lifting Heavy and being Bulky....................

Options

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have fun flexing my biceps and freaking people out. My workout buddy said yesterday he can barely see the "horseshoe" on my triceps when I'm in the act of lifting. Whee!

I have a few pounds to lose before I'll see the definition in my thighs I used to see when I was competing at karate in my 20s but I'm waiting for that day.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to see if any other women were as goofy as I am and like feeling like a bada$$ with their new found muscles.

Arms day is the best day because I get to watch my delts and biceps work those lat raises and hammer curls. :D

Three years ago I had zero muscle. Now, I'll just randomly flex at work to watch my muscles move.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You. ... are incredible:flowerforyou:

:blushing: Just years of hard work. You'll get there!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I have the weight room at my school completely to myself most nights and the entire front wall is a mirror, you don't want to know how much time I spend posing in there, especially in my yoga pants. :laugh:
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I flex. A lot. It's like Christmas.

:laugh:

I have a tendency to quickly flex my biceps when I'm in the bathroom at work. More like baby biceps, but still, it's nice to see something there! I also like to check out my back when I can :blushing: It's the one part of me that doesn't have excess fat on it!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I spend more time flexing in the mirror than I should admit to. I'm also a bodybuilder and spend lots of time practicing the poses.

Haha I would never leave the mirror if I had your physique!

^^^^^This I have to admit also :love: :blushing:

I'm confused. So are you saying women can't get bulky?

They could but it would be extremely difficult and require hormones most likely. It is extremely hard for men to bulk, for women (we lack a significant percentage of the testosterone men have) it is never an accident. On MFP we hear women all the time stating they won't lift because they may bulk up...... look at usmc or alloutofbubblegum, they lift heavy and are tiny (not flexed), hot and feminine. Same with the other women posting here. Look at Sarauk2sf profile, she lifts extremely heavy and is very feminine and not in the least bulky.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    You. ... are incredible:flowerforyou:

:blushing: Just years of hard work. You'll get there!

I'll never stop believing :heart:
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I love to flex my arms and back! My back looks amazing and I show it to everyone whenever I get the chance:) My thighs on the other hand need to get on the effing same page as my back as far as muscles go. I have muscles in there but the fat refuses to let my awesomeness shine through LOL. One day they will..........
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    On a side note, as someone who normally avoids cameras like the plague, how the EFF does one take these photos and get the muscles to make an appearance. I SWEAR I can see them in the mirror, but I'll be damned if they'll show up on screen.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I flex my calves from time to time - especially when people ask me to - just because they are so crazy cut / shredded (my legs are strangely WAY defined, especially in relation to the rest of my squishy body) . Besides that, I don't flex much.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    89644d1400376867-my-sharpness-test-results-tamron-150-600-yodapic.jpg

I'm not normally an attention wh*re, but I'm bored today
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    IMG_20130803_135317_zps3ef17f41.jpg

What are you doing to get such gorgeous definition in your back? I feel like I always get a good workout in my traps but not much else... You look great!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to being able to adequately direct people towards the beach.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    On a side note, as someone who normally avoids cameras like the plague, how the EFF does one take these photos and get the muscles to make an appearance. I SWEAR I can see them in the mirror, but I'll be damned if they'll show up on screen.

Lighting makes a difference. The downward angle usually shows the cuts as deeper because of the shadows. :wink:
  • _KitKat_
    Options

You need a phone post '07 :flowerforyou:

Actually I have no clue, I thought I could multitask but I am just not that good :drinker:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I flex my arms all the time because I can see muscles that I've never seen before. My hubs then feels the need to flex his as well. We then have a flex-off. I also do this with my calves because the muscle is visible there too. The rest of them I try to flex but the flubber is still too thick to make it much fun.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Hell to the yeah! I like having muscles and flexing them.

I'd love my muscles to be bigger - I'm at a genetic advantage when it comes to muscles due to having a large frame, yet it still takes so much lifting and eating at a surplus just to add half an inch here and there to my muscles. Really, there's *no* danger of getting bulky by accident!

gun%20show.png
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    I am looking forward to being able to adequately direct people towards the beach.

Aaron, you must have some practice pics of the "over that way" pose.....come on post, we finally got to see your face :wink:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg

What are you doing to get such gorgeous definition in your back? I feel like I always get a good workout in my traps but not much else... You look great!

Barbell rows, seated cable rows, one arm dumbbell rows and Pendlay rows. ETA: Make sure to hold the lifts at the top of the movement. That contraction and hold really helps.

My back is also usually the leanest area. Posing practice helps because if your arms are too far forward or too far back or if you pinch your mid back or pull your lats too far out then it makes you look like you have no muscle.
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I need to keep lifting (not a problem because i LOVE it) and lose more weight (it's going the right direction) before I will see the kind of definition in my arms like y'all are talking about. But my back and my shoulders are shaping up nicely so i have taken to wearing tank tops to yoga so I can flex my back and shoulders for the benefit of the people behind me because they are always so amazed that the old lady can hold a plank longer than anyone else in class. Love it. Love being strong.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

You need a phone post '07 :flowerforyou:

Actually I have no clue, I thought I could multitask but I am just not that good :drinker:

Yes well, my money will be going to a power rack bench and weights before a new phone, so y'all are going to just have to deal with blurry crappy selfies.