What foods have you given up to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    White food- rice, potatoes, white bread, Mexican food-at least the carby burritos, taquitos, tacos--except homemade, and fast food in general.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Beer- although that really isn't a food
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have given up soda and fast food. This has helped me lose the weight and I don't miss it at all.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I try to eat out less often, and eat less pre-made foods. Not because pre-made foods are necessarily worse for you, but if it requires actual effort to make some food, I'm less likely to eat out of boredom. I'm generally more mindful of what I eat, and cut down on certain things that I love (fried chicken, french fries, fried everything) but like most others have said, I haven't cut them out completely.

Oh, and beer. Beer was my go-to alcoholic beverage at home, but now I only have beer when I'm at the bar with friends or something.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

I banned ice cream and anything like it for the first month, to teach myself that no, I did not have to buy it every time the wish for it hit. It's still easy for me to eat too much, so I'm careful, but I do eat it. I eat a lot *less* bread and pasta than I used to, but that's just a function of them being more difficult to fit into my day, not a specific effort to avoid them.
  • motal003
    motal003 Posts: 28
    Options
    I haven't given up anything because I know myself and I know I cant do so. So instead I just portion and count calories. Like I always ate a ton of chips everyday, but not I only eat 13 pieces and that's 140 calories...so I know that's how much harder I'll have to work at the gym...and I have noticed that since I am more conscious of my food intake, I am not eating chips everyday. It's now a 3 times a week thing instead of 7 (mainly because I don't want to do that extra 15 minute on the treadmill.)

Another thing that has helped me is I have easy reach snacks in my fridge. Before, I'd reach for a cookie. Now, when I open the fridge, I'll reach for fruits because they are at the front of my fridge, not in the back getting spoiled...

And so I motivate myself. I love fashion so I want to get in good, sexy shape because I want to fit into all my favorite clothes...
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    None....I just cut the portions in half and got up off my *kitten* and exercised more.
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    agree
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I have actually given up anything since I started here. I do agree that we can have anything as long as it's in moderation which is something I'm still learning to do. I have though chosen (at least for now) to not eat any sugary foods or sweets. Those type of foods in the past have been triggers for me to spiral out of control and to over indulge in everything. Since this is now my new lifestyle I am just working on it one day at a time which is why I don't feel deprived or like I'm missing out on anything. It still amazes me how this site has changed my life. God Bless!! :smile:
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I haven't given things up to lose weight, per se, but I have given things up to improve my quality of life....

Store bought bread, it all tastes like cardboard anyway.
    Stuff with high fructose corn syrup (too much sugar/carbs anyway)
    Stuff that is too many calories when taking into consideration I will be hungry again REAL soon (i.e. Taco Bell Mexi Melts. 250 calories and I'm still hungry after eating one.)
    On that note, most fast food anyway.

My main reason for giving these up: they do not agree with me; they give me a lot of gas and cause digestive disorder, often give me diarrhea. It's not hard to give them up...though I find myself really wanting some Tootsie Rolls or Swedish Fish every so often...so I will indulge a little.
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have not given up anything I just cut down on portions and maybe do fast food once or twice a month
  • 303enfield
    303enfield Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    burger and chips
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've quit sugar as in refined sugar foods. This i've done from the beginning because i can't control my intake of sugar foods. When i eat them i just want more and will eat them all until its all gone.

That said, its not quite so bad as it sounds. I did formulate some rules into my program that enables me to have some refined sugar foods in what i have considered low risk situations. So this year i've eaten about 5 small serves of cake under those conditions. I have not had any chocolate or ice-cream though as they were not offered to me.

My rules are that i can have these types of foods if someone else offers them to me in an out of home situation. e.g. when i' m visiting friends, at a function, or event or party. or restaurant with others. But in all those situations i can only have one serve. So i still have to exert self-control in some circumstances but so far so good.

What i like about this system is that when i get to eat sugar is outside of my control and so i do not spend much time thinking about it and focused on an approaching day. The desire for sugar foods is quite gone from my life. I avoid spending time looking at recipes and foods that are sweet because these will trigger the desire again.

At the moment i've been eating rather a lot of marscapone and strawberries so i will stop buying marscapone and reduce the occasions when i buy it in the future as i need to keep my fat intake under control too as as i love cream so much if i am not careful, this could be an issue.

I have not eaten much fast food at all but its not a big issue for me normally so i do not need to make hard and fast rules about it. That said, when i'm in weight loss mode, i try to choose healthier low calorie options whenever i'm out.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Beer- although that really isn't a food

Sacrilege! :drinker:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQie9IexZqHgcxmKBFobYgO6h1qTvoYfYoe3llyOt634V6WOG9xlA
  • thesmallestpineapple
    thesmallestpineapple Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake and gingerbread. They just have too many calories to be worth it to me anymore. If I was out at someones house I would still eat them, but I no longer buy them for myself.

Anything else I just have in moderation, but those two are difficult for me to just have one portion.
  • hilaria81
    hilaria81 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Really, nothing that I can think of! Although it's a good thing we don't have an Uno's Pizzeria in my city anymore, because I found out the individual deep-dish cheese and tomato pizza is more calories than I now eat in an entire day. I guess, if I had one of those, I'd really try to eat just half instead of the entire thing...
  • putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have not given up any food. Just never eat as much of them. It is the only way to avoid failing.
  • sim_moore
    sim_moore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    :) Just had to post on this one.. Only been on this site and counting 4 weeks which is when I started to make the changes.

* Cigars 2-3 a day (tobacco in general given up cold turkey)
    * Sugar and milk in my coffee (taste pretty good black actually)
    * All Fast food for now - Although had 1 piece of cheese pizza 2 weeks ago
    * Chocolate - Only for first few months whilst I kick start diet
    * Chips in general both fries and crisps
    * Fruit Drink including the V8...

Luckily quitting smoking improved my taste buds so everything is a treat right now :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have given up is regular sodas - I didn't drink that many anyway but have entirely swapped to drinking diet sodas when I do now.

Of course, many other foods have been reduced in size or frequency or both - but not given up entirely.