What foods have you given up to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• cece5300
    cece5300 Posts: 48
    Options
    Lifesaver gummies. They used to be my favorite go-to treat. When I finally looked at the calories I almost fainted. It's so sad! I miss them! But I'm so much healthier now. They only tempt me once in a while when I'm at the store going to the checkout line. "Don't look!"
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I no longer enter the TV room with a whole loaf of homemade bread and a stick of butter.
  • jammer2net
    jammer2net Posts: 42
    Options
    I don't TOUCH soda. Haven't had a soda in about 3 years. When I am trying to lose weight I cut out processed foods, white colored foods, sugary foods and most dressings/mayo.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    When I am trying to lose weight I cut out ...white colored foods.

Food racist!
  • UsernameisNick
    Options
    I'm still in my first week for weight loss but giving up my morning Tim Horton bagel and ice cap has been hard. :brokenheart:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    When I am trying to lose weight I cut out ...white colored foods.

Food racist!

RIght? :tongue: I could never cut out "white" foods.

All high in micro nutrients and/or fiber:
    Potatoes
    Cauliflower
    Turnips
    Jicama

Good sources of protein:
    Egg whites
    Dairy products
    Geez, even most fish when cooked is white--gotta eat that stuff once in a while, it's good eats

Good sources of carbs (for energy):
    Bread
    Rice
    Pasta
    And my favorite--Pizza crust

That's a lot of good food and nutrient sources to arbitrarily not eat, simply because of color.

To the OP--Clearly, I do not give up any foods to lose weight. I manage just fine eating any sort of thing I want, within reason (i.e. portion control, fitting my macros, etc.)
  • gineagirl
    gineagirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Little Debbie is no longer my friend.
  • Cappa124
    Cappa124 Posts: 131
    Options
    Instead of giving up foods, why not try making healthier versions of them with substitutes?

Apple sauce for oils, fat free milk for whole milk, splenda for sugar, oat flour for flour, etc? I love making alternative recipes. :) I've started a weight loss blog recently and have been posting recipes on there for healthier versions of normally unhealthy, sugary foods, and they still taste awesome :)

Todays food? Corn Muffins!!!
    Check it out of you want to see :)

http://losing-weight-living-life.blogspot.com/2014/07/low-calorie-corn-muffins.html
  • katherineduweck
    katherineduweck Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, I haven't given up anything. I plan my meals ahead of time as much as possible, stay with balanced options as much as possible, and eat the treat foods slowly and luxuriously when I need them, never being mad at myself. I've lost 20 pounds in 7 months and that is progress I'm okay with, given that I'm changing my lifestyle to one I can maintain once I reach my goal weight, even if that's 18 months from now. Of course I'm more conscious of my choices, but denying yourself favorite foods and treats is a good way to invite binging and/or weight gain after reaching a target because those foods are not integrated into your life.
  • Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    I've given up on the portion sizes, but if I crave a food, I'll eat it - responsibly.
  • oct0pus
    oct0pus Posts: 9
    Options
    I gave up all meats besides seafood, any sweets that contain chocolate - or pretty much any sweets at all, all pastas and breads, peanuts, cheese, any greasy food, and potatoes.
    I usually crave none of these, and I'm most certain it has helped my weight loss. 8)
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything in entirety.. I just can't be that mean to myself! But ofcourse I've lowered my intake of calorie dense stuff I used to eat on a daily basis. Butter cookies, for instance. Now, I eat them like once a week and that too in lower quantities.I know I'm still not good enough/not doing as much as I can or should, but I'm much,much better than I was pre-weightloss.
  • arnostbilej
    Options
    If your weight is loose, rein it in!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    None.

I don't deprive myself of anything.

I just watch how much of it I eat.

Exactly
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been carefully checking labels to eliminate high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) from my diet. It's in everything, even condiments! But if you Google "No high fructose corn syrup" you will find a couple of lists of foods without it and there are some condiments without it also.

I think the hardest thing for me though is giving up the sweets. I love chocolate. I have found that I can't really have it in moderation because once I give in and have some my cravings start. But if I can go without it for 2 - 3 days the cravings go away. It's so hard to start all over again trying to give it up that I've just not been eating it at all.
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    none :wink: apart from changing normal soda to diet (if i ever have it)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up any foods. I just make sure I count them and have the proper portion sizes. if it fits my calories for the day then I am good.
  • kasterrett
    kasterrett Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I said I wouldn't give up any foods, but I have. I have given up all of my trigger foods because they lead me straight into hell itself.

Pizza
    Oreos
    Nachos
    Chicken Fried Steak.

Just to name a few.
    If I eat them, my entire day goes south....and then my week...and then my month. So I avoid at all costs.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I skip cookies or desserts or muffins or anything sweet unless I've made it myself. Go easy on everything else and pick healthier options in restaurants
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Years ago I gave up on a few things like milk and sugar in my coffee or I never use mayonnaise on my sandwich anymore. I switched to mustard, it's calorie free, or hummus who is packed with cals but they are not empty calories. To be honest I don't feel it's a lost at all, I always enjoyed it without, I was adding it mostly because it was available more than anything.

When I really decided to lose weight however I didn't give up on anything. I know that pizza twice a week and french fries another 2 times a week with take out is bad for me in this quantity. I still indulge, but more like once a month instead of twice a week.
    Also, now I can't even finish my plate and don't even talk to me about eating a whole pizza by myself. After not even half of what i used to eat, I feel so full I feel sick.