Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am now at 120x5x5. I hope to get to 150 by my birthday in September or possibly sooner. My progress has been stalled by a recent surgery,
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have a five foot bar at home I am currently doing 55 lbs on, smith I can go 80 lbs, seated leg press 230 lbs...
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    100kg /220lbs
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    25KG (55lb ish) here. I know I could go heavier, possibly by quite a lot, but right now I'm focusing on good form on every rep before I try heavier weights.
  • alwolff
    alwolff Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm at 235
  • carriek8274
    carriek8274 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights in doing squats, lunges, and dead lifts. It is a myth that women will get bulky with lifting heavy weights. Women do not have the testerone like men, therefore getting bulky won't happen unless they are taking something to get that way. I deadlift over 115 lbs and squat over 100 lbs and am not bulky at all. Go to bodybuilding.com. They have alot of great workouts. I am just finishing up Jamie Eason's Live fit trainer and it has been challenging and awesome at the same time.
    Hope this helps!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I got up to 95 lbs. but was struggling to keep form then stalled out around 85 lbs. I started 5x5 and deloaded to 55 lbs. to work on form and hopefully get over 100 and keep progressing. My thighs are an inch or so bigger than they were when I was underweight and didn't lift but they look smaller. I now have defined muscle definition and my rear no longer looks deflated. In sum, I look and feel so much better.

Add: talking parallel or slightly lower squats.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Last 5/3/1 cycle I got 210x3. I'd like to be at 2 plates by the end of the year.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    This week it's 205 for 5x5 and I have about the skinniest legs around.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    100 lbs to 120 lbs currently
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Only 90lbs. Tonight I'll go up to 95. I was struggling, but finally got form down last weekend and am finally starting to be able to add weight regularly.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My Squats are 135lb 5x5 this week.

225lb 5x5 is my goal for within the year
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm using 15s right now, but thinking about moving up to 20s. I'm concerned that if I go much heavier, it will make my thighs bigger instead of leaner. I'm not sure there's any science to that thinking, though...

you're right there's no science to that thinking

being lean comes from losing fat. If you have a layer of fat over your muscles, you won't see the muscle, and fat is what makes people's legs look chunky. Lose the fat and you reveal lean muscle, which in women looks "toned" - the less bodyfat you have, the more you will see muscle definition. MOst women seem to like the look at around 18-20% body fat, where your body looks firm and "toned", but not the really heavy muscle definition that you see at 13-15% body fat (though of course many like that look too, it's down to personal preference and how low you want to take your body fat percentage)

using heavier weights will not make your muscles get significantly bigger, but it will make them a lot stronger and make your bones a lot stronger and make it easier to lose the fat, and also if your muscles are atrophied (wasted away), then at lower levels of body fat you will still look soft and half starved, not the firm, lean look that most women want.

Leigh Peele's blog has a free download on body fat percentage, so you can see what men and women look at different body fat percentages, and also the difference between someone with and without muscle at the same body fat percentage. Many women are afraid to use heavy weights because they think they'll look like a female bodybuilder (not that there's anything wrong with how they look - personal preference....) but you won't look like that unless you go down to 13% body fat... the same amount of muscle on a woman but a higher percentage (18-20%) women look more like bikini models without all that muscle definition but still with a good overall shape and looking firm and "toned" rather than defined.

So yes, I think you should use heavier weights... use the heaviest weight you can, if you can do more than 12 reps, it's too heavy. Or do a programme which involves lifting heavier and heavier weights, such as stronlifts 5x5 or starting strength. Lots of women have seen a huge amount of success from these programmes and you can find threads with lots of before and after pics, like this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

yes all this ^^^^
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Current max squat is 255lbs, hoping to be at 275lbs. I keep it around 225lbs when i have no spotter.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Got up to 125 today on squats but I really struggled to keep form.

Next time I do them I'm going to have to deload. I'm cutting right now so the strength of progression for me has been stalling (which I expected would come sooner or later).

Has anyone added dropsets to your routine? Thinking about doing this as my progression is coming to a crawl but want to keep lifting as heavy as I can.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over now. Knee pain, blah, blah, it's getting better. So....I'm on the empty bar with the squats, the bench presses etc. I started on Monday. The next time I go I want to add 5lbs, like Stronglifts.

I'm going to do it carefully and pay good attention to my form. I'm trying to figure out "hip drive" by the way it feels since it's hard to look sideways in the mirror.

Lets see what my stats are next July.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    My 1RM is 160, but my working weight ranges from 120-150 lbs.

20 lb per side is certainly not going to make your legs big.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    if I am at a gym and have access to the squat rack, I usually do 100lbs.....at home with my dumbells I usually dial them up to about 30-35lbs each for a total weight that I hold of 60-70lbs....with my dumbbells however, my issue is usually with grip strength....I have to rest between reps because it gets hard to hold that much weight in my hands....