What grinds your gears

Options

Replies

• softwind
    softwind Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    When there are 20 open treadmills and someone decides to get on the one right next to me.

Same with bathroom stalls - there are tons, pick one not near me... Gah
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Annoying people on the internet.
  • B0rnC0nfus3d
    B0rnC0nfus3d Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Polystyrene. Can't stand the stuff. Makes my hair stand on end!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Being in a place that's supposed to be kind of quiet/serene, like a library or a fitting room at a nicer store, and someone's there with their young toddler who is fussy...but the KID is not my problem at all...even if they're whining and crying, I can block that out. It's the moms who have to VERY VERY LOUDLY narrate everything that is going on. "Cedar Rose, let Mommy just try on this black dress and then the polka dot dress and then we'll go to Starbucks. Cedar Rose don't sit on that. Cedar Rose pick that up. Cedar Rose, stop. Cedar Rose, Mommy is going to tuck your shirt back into your pants and then she's going to put this juice box away if you don't drink it ok sweetie?" Endless stream for fifteen minutes while I'm trying on jeans. Just stop.

lol, You don't have kids do you?

People who pull out 'you don't have kids, do you?' any time someone complains about someone not knowing that some places aren't appropriate for small children :flowerforyou:

I have a child and nieces/nephews-- they will not, should not and cannot act like that in public without me getting upset and embarrassed. I will be the first to admit that I have walked out of a store or restaurant and apologized to people for the way my child was behaving. And you're right some kids don't belong in certain places....

The original complaint was about the parent not the kid - the ongoing narrative from the parent to the kid.

Yeah...even though I don't have kids, I am pretty tolerant of the kids actually. And I am the first to give a sympathetic smile to the mom who is genuinely trying to hurry through a situation like being at the DMV. My 3 closest girlfriends have NINE children among them, and seven of those kids are under age 11 still...so I kind of really do get it. Even though I don't get it to the extent a parent does.

It's more the entitlety-psycho moms who like to show off in how they speak to their kids. "Count in French, Madison...remember what we learned!?!?" And that could all be said in passing from a parent to child and actually garner positive attention but it's in the delivery...when it's super loud and aimed at me for mom's attention, I know it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Being in a place that's supposed to be kind of quiet/serene, like a library or a fitting room at a nicer store, and someone's there with their young toddler who is fussy...but the KID is not my problem at all...even if they're whining and crying, I can block that out. It's the moms who have to VERY VERY LOUDLY narrate everything that is going on. "Cedar Rose, let Mommy just try on this black dress and then the polka dot dress and then we'll go to Starbucks. Cedar Rose don't sit on that. Cedar Rose pick that up. Cedar Rose, stop. Cedar Rose, Mommy is going to tuck your shirt back into your pants and then she's going to put this juice box away if you don't drink it ok sweetie?" Endless stream for fifteen minutes while I'm trying on jeans. Just stop.

People who pull out 'you don't have kids, do you?' any time someone complains about someone not knowing that some places aren't appropriate for small children :flowerforyou:

I have a child and nieces/nephews-- they will not, should not and cannot act like that in public without me getting upset and embarrassed. I will be the first to admit that I have walked out of a store or restaurant and apologized to people for the way my child was behaving. And you're right some kids don't belong in certain places....

The original complaint was about the parent not the kid - the ongoing narrative from the parent to the kid.

You are supposed to talk to your children, yes even narrating everything. It helps them develop language. And if they say something with incorrect pronunciation you are supposed to repeat back what they said the correct way. So yes, I used to talk to non-talking children all the time. It's fun. It's an awesome excuse to basically talk to yourself in public.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    Other people's loud and obnoxious children is a big one.

I have to put a lead on my dog you should have to do the same with your child
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Usually a lack of oil.

Just use spit. Cheaper and more effective.

We should probably pass this tidbit on to this sixout character that was referencing the need to clean his fleshlight. Sounds like some good advice, and may actually be whats nastifying his fleshlight.

That or he just doesnt pull out because his fleshlight is on the pill.

Ewwwwww! Why can't guys just use towels like we did in the old days? And fur coats.

.... or socks?

Are we talking soft and fluffy sports socks or dress socks? These things matter
  • Vortex_ConQueso
    Options
    Forum mods that believe Mein Kampf is a great playbook for running Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options

You are supposed to talk to your children, yes even narrating everything. It helps them develop language. And if they say something with incorrect pronunciation you are supposed to repeat back what they said the correct way. So yes, I used to talk to non-talking children all the time. It's fun. It's an awesome excuse to basically talk to yourself in public.

I agree. There was a documentary on PBS about a study involving the importance of kids hearing 15,000 words per day and the impact later in life. Or, you could just have a child like mine who says 15,000 words a day. It really eliminates the need for me to talk because he literally does not ever stop moving his mouth. :smile:
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Usually a lack of oil.

We should probably pass this tidbit on to this sixout character that was referencing the need to clean his fleshlight. Sounds like some good advice, and may actually be whats nastifying his fleshlight.

Ewwwwww! Why can't guys just use towels like we did in the old days? And fur coats.

.... or socks?

You tell me. That's your specialty. I don't need any fancy things.... Well, sometimes I need a towel......
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

then go to places where it's socially acceptable to talk none stop.

libraries and movies should be immediately off your list of places you're going.
  • seltzermint555
    Options

nah, I get that. And I've done the same with nonverbal clients when I worked with adults with autism.

I guess it's something I can't fully explain. Something in the TONE of these particular women. And the fact that it goes on and on and on, and I also feel for the child that they're having to be "good" in a tiny confined space like a fitting room for 20 minutes or so. I don't think that's very fair to the child.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

libraries and movies should be immediately off your list of places you're going.

Movies weren't listed in the first post. Of course you don't talk to your children in a movie. And don't talk children to movies that are not appropriate for their age, or late in the evening. Libraries have kids sections with toys in them indicating that children are welcome and expected there. I wouldn't take them to a university library or anything. The main example was a fitting room. I see nothing wrong with talking to your children in a fitting room. How is it any different than talking on a cell phone?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    ... things that look like typos that then you find aren't and so you look up the definition and find out what a fleshlight actually is ...
  • seltzermint555
    Options

Movies weren't listed in the first post. Of course you don't talk to your children in a movie. And don't talk children to movies that are not appropriate for their age, or late in the evening. Libraries have kids sections with toys in them indicating that children are welcome and expected there. I wouldn't take them to a university library or anything. The main example was a fitting room. I see nothing wrong with talking to your children in a fitting room. How is it any different than talking on a cell phone?

Not that different. Both grind my gears. I guess the kid thing bugs me more because I feel like wow, why is this kid being forced to be "good" in the fitting room for twenty minutes?

Although, changing subjects slightly...there was a situation the other night when my husband and I were at Target and some woman had her cell phone on speaker and was walking around the housewares section with it at top volume. At first we actually thought a Target employee was accidentally having a conversation over the intercom...it was that loud. I felt for the person on the other end of the phone though, because they were alternately gossiping and crying a bit. What in the world!?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Not that different. Both grind my gears. I guess the kid thing bugs me more because I feel like wow, why is this kid being forced to be "good" in the fitting room for twenty minutes?

Although, changing subjects slightly...there was a situation the other night when my husband and I were at Target and some woman had her cell phone on speaker and was walking around the housewares section with it at top volume. At first we actually thought a Target employee was accidentally having a conversation over the intercom...it was that loud. I felt for the person on the other end of the phone though, because they were alternately gossiping and crying a bit. What in the world!?

Trust me, I would MUCH MUCH rather go shopping without my children. Doesn't always happen though.
  • andythecurefan
    andythecurefan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    op7ot5.jpg
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Going to work, which is where I need to go now. I'll just throw that one out here real quick. I'll check back later when I have more time to read and post.

Peter Griffin was my first thought when I read the title. LOL!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Usually a lack of oil.

.... or socks?

You tell me. That's your specialty. I don't need any fancy things.... Well, sometimes I need a towel......

I :heart: fancy fluffy socks
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options

I agree. There was a documentary on PBS about a study involving the importance of kids hearing 15,000 words per day and the impact later in life. Or, you could just have a child like mine who says 15,000 words a day. It really eliminates the need for me to talk because he literally does not ever stop moving his mouth. :smile:

I have a kid like this - he is my youngest , 7 and talks ALL THE TIME - drive my hubby crazy - LOL I swear he is still making up for lost time - when he was 2 he didn't talk a lot - preferred to point