Does quality of food matter if you remain within calories?

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I would like to take this moment to point out that any good scientist needs to be able to communicate their findings, both to their peers, and to the general public in a clear and concise manner. Now admittedly, this is sometimes difficult given the complexity of scientific topics, but all credibility is lost when the presenter fails to even attempt coherent dialogue.

And that is all I will say on this matter, because while I understand the premise put forward, I refuse to engage an individual who has demonstrated an inability to discuss a concept with a minimum of common courtesy and a respect for the intelligence of their audience.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ok, I dare you to experiment, if you eat "real food", and balanced meals, eat only enough grams of carbs a day to replenish glycogen lost, INCREASE everything else besides carbs, eat as much as u can, do HIIT cardio and lift and I promise the more food you eat the leaner you will get. will you take this challenge ? prob not, fear will likely stop you from trusting me.

No, your lack of making a coherent point is stopping us from trusting you.

Also, how do you know how many carbs you need to replace lost glycogen>?

Can I drink a bottle of oil on this plan?

You did not answer this question of mine

sorry, did not see this, glycogen in general the body utilizes about 130 grams a day for just brain function, muscle glycogen is about 400 grams worth and can be used up in about 6 hours of fasting or in one hour of intense training. so you can actually eat more than you think without excess. its still a rough estimating game, but you tweak based on results , no fat loss, drop carbs and or increase calories. also my buddy would eat something like 250 grams of fat per day, he was ridiculous, and got down to 5-6%BF with Parillo 9 site caliper method done by be every time. his LBM went up as his fat went down, something most "Bodybuilders" don't think is possible simultaneously . thats what the body does with any "excess" calories. I mean if you eat 4,000, you are really only getting like 3600 due to TEF. so thats what the body sees. and if u wish to keep discussing this further, feel free to email me at nick.west77@me.com, I'm willing to talk to you because u sound fairly open to this concept and not just hardcore calories.

So - I lift. I can eat about 500g of carbs and unlimited fats and protein a day or am I misunderstanding?

No offense but I do not trust anecdotal results when they are from sources I am not familiar with and trust (nothing personal)
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    ok, I dare you to experiment, if you eat "real food", and balanced meals, eat only enough grams of carbs a day to replenish glycogen lost, INCREASE everything else besides carbs, eat as much as u can, do HIIT cardio and lift and I promise the more food you eat the leaner you will get. will you take this challenge ? prob not, fear will likely stop you from trusting me.

I have a BMR of 1707 (determined through an oxygen consumption test) so no, of course I'm not going to take on your "challenge" and eat 2500+ calories because I know damn well I will gain weight- whether I eat whole foods or junk food.

By the way, I already eat strictly whole foods (Mediterranean diet, low carb, moderate protein, moderate fat) due to insulin resistance and hypoglycemia.

In other words, your theory has been debunked.
    Ok, so your BMR is 1707, do you think it STAYS at that ? and eating less will cause a permanent deficit ?, it will create a deficit for about two weeks, then you will hit a plateau because your 1707 BMR WILL drop to just under what you are eating per day. If you DO take my challenge however, eating MORE than you need will A: RAISE your metabolic rate and thermogenisis (only 1 of the 5 ways we burn calories btw) B: your body will utilize more of the excess calories to build and repair muscle and the body in general, C: it costs 10% roughly of what you eat just to digest the food so you end up with only 90% at most. D: your body ramps UP fat burning enzymes and hormones. result is you WILL lose more fat than before and perform better. calories are no different that water, you drink more you piss more out, drink less, you retain more. like I said, its called a "Negative Feedback Loop". think of it as a fire, you are feeding your fire less fuel than it needs to keep burning hot, it gets smaller and less hot, the metabolism does the same thing. see, you all think that your BMR remains the same no matter your calorie intake, this is not true, the body will try to match by lowing or raising it. so you will lose fat AND muscle tissue until your BMR is say 1200, then you stop losing and can actually gain/retain body fat and lose more muscle. its sad that no one really understand this.

You will hit a plateau in 2 weeks? Really?

You do realize that your BMR is not your TDEE?

Also, please could you show where eating at a deficit causes a permanent drop in your BMR outside what it would due to weight lose. Also, please show me how you will lose weight if not at a deficit?

And again, please stop making assumptions.

im not talking about "Losing Weight" here, Im talking about a positive shift in body comp. you know, more muscle and less fat AT THE SAME TIME, yes its possible. tell me if calories count, how could I have a 190 pound athlete eating 4,500 calories ( 20 whole egg omelets and piles of bacon at one meal sometimes) right up to a physique show, steadily losing body fat percentage and gaining LBM ? his BMR was prob only 2000-2200 plus his daily TDEE may have been 3500-4000 at most in expenditure. the REASON that you lose FAT while over consuming calories from real food, no sugar, and controlled carbs only, is that our body has a "Calorie conservation" mode and it also has a "calorie wasting" mode. we also burn calories in 5 diff pathways. Mechanical is but 1 path. Thermoregulation is 2, Hormonal (production and utilization of them) is 3, Chemically ( digestion etc) is 4 and Neurological is 5, the more calories we consume the higher our nervous energy usage is, creating more energy for exercise. you are SO fixated on fat loss being your TDEE - intake= fat loss. in reality what has to happen in our body during a deficit is not necessarily fat utilization, you assume that is what happens, what really happens is lower calories lowers TOTAL weight, meaning you lose MUSCLE, other tissues, some fat, and you don't recover as well and also lose bone tissue if done long enough. I'm not talking "Weight loss" once again, Im talking Body Composition change. the excess calories, if healthy, will be utilized for healthy tissue building, not fat storage, thats a very simplistic idea of the body, its not cause and effect. you eat MORE of anything and the body tries to maintain a physiological "Normal" level, like sodium/potassium balance and water, or Oxygen to Carbon Dioxide ratio in the blood controls breathing rate. hell, did you know you will die if you breath PURE oxygen ? it will make you stop breathing due to the "hypoxic drive", until you get a breath with carbon dioxide in it to stimulate the hypoxic drive, O2 in blood gets low, breathing goes up, it gets too high, breathing goes down. you get too hot, you sweat to return to homeostasis, what makes you think calories are any different ? it is ALL controlled by Negative Feedback Mechanisms. true biological actions/reactions are medically known. look into the book "the calorie myth" and he give more than enough medical reference proving my words. as well as "the fat switch" by a doctor or Dr. Jack Kruse's works/website. its all out there.

You are talking about recomping. Then why did you just not say that?.

Are you suggesting that for everyone?

YES !!! why not ? isn't that what EVERYONE is looking for ? less fat more muscle, a fast metabolism and high performance and recovery and the ability to eat WHATEVER and burn it right off ? eating this way, Ive had clients lose FAT even faster than lowering calories ! with the bonus that they don't have to worry about slipping or falling off their "diet" , its just "healthy eating" and abundance of food, its a positive relationship with food, not seeing it as the fat storing enemy. this is how you maintain healthy weight over a LIFETIME not just for 10 or 30 years having to ALWAYS count calories and bull**** that don't matter. THIS is the right way and healthy way.

So, someone significantly overweight should recomp and not actually try to lose weight?

For someone who has been slamming people for not willing to think of anything outside their current ideas and beliefs, the statement "THIS is the right way" is a little hypocritical don't you think?

And again, with the assumptions - maybe not everyone is looking for more muscle.

Also, are you saying that I can eat 6,000 calories and not gain weight?

yes thats what Im saying. hell, phelps ate 12,000 per day of a lot of junk and got leaner, and he didn't burn it all thru exercise, think about it. you have a food warehouse and are in charge of rationing out food to the village, you get a big shipment each day, you give out a bit extra to people….not one day something happens and they only can deliver ONE shipment of food per week to you, are u still gonna give out extra ? or will you be giving out LESS food until shipments are increased ? thats how the body sees fat. I'm trying to put this in terms u will "get". yes, the "right way" to lose weight (they will still lose weight due to more pounds of fat being shed than there are pounds of muscle being built, women build muscle slowly), its not "close minded" for me to say that this is the healthier way, the long term way, because there are only two ways to do this, short term thru caloric deprivation (95% failure rate) or healthy eating of an abundance of food, which is long term sustainable, its how people ate before we started tinkering with "Calories" and screwing things up by over thinking things and sticking our hands in trying to manipulate nature like the arrogant humans we are. Im betting if you eat healthy, limit carb intake to say 300 grams per day (enough to replace lost glycogen but not overflow) and eat as much as u can of everything else, ESP Fats like saturated fat from natural fed animals (healthiest for the human body, being solid at room temp means its the most stable against oxidative damage and free radical production in the body) and the more u eat, the leaner u will get. I have done this on many clients and friends as well.

Enough with the patronizing. You are talking about metabolic adaptation, and yes it works both ways - but there absolutely is an upper limit.

Also, you mention in your other post about choosing foods based on ethic backgrounds and metabolic type - please share studies or even respectable articles that show that you can actually do this and to the degree that is positively impacts your BMR.

Good luck with recomping a woman who is 300lb and getting their body fat to a healthy level!

You totally lost me at the food warehouse analogy - it made less sense than the fire one.

ETA: you keep throwing the 95% statistic around - do you have one that shows that following your suggestions (which I am not sure exactly what they are other than to recomp), shows a higher success rate.

im not trying to patronize you. I'm simply trying to get you to understand an obviously foreign concept. who is more apt to throw money away and randomly spend it and who is likely to save their money, a Rich man or a poor man ? the correct answer is the RICH man, because he makes so much he don't NEED to save it, the poor man will do what he can to make enough cuts in his life to be able to SAVE his little income. you can find the calorie diet success rate of 95% Anywhere online , its really not hard if you know how to use google. its proven, even the company (which i don't agree with on most things, uses that in their certification training) I HAVE recomped women 275-300lbs down to 160 and 20% body fat , u want more proof like that, go to some cross fit boxes and find plenty of ladies who lost tons of fat by eating MORE. its biology not rocket science man. the only "Upper limit" is your appetite, once they recover their BMR from caloric dieting and are eating like 3000 cal a day, they can start going off of hunger at that point and the body will self regulate and lose excess fat. it will reach a "happy fat" percent eventually and at that point if they want to lean out more, they adjust carbs and eat MORE calories so the body is then "OK" with allowing the loss of more precious fat energy. the only drive for the body to rid itself of stored energy is to let it see more than enough coming in, if it sees less than it needs coming in it will begin to make changes to conserve that energy, and the less you eat and harder u work to "burn calories" the worse this gets. Like I said, I do this daily with men and women who are plenty obese, they love being able to eat as much as they can of good food and lose more fat, blows their minds, hell it still blows my mind, I use to count calories and macros and do this crazy dance, but I'm telling you its not needed and backwards anyway.

Point in case re assumptions (and condescending)....what you are trying to say is not a foreign concept to me at all. However, I calories assuming you eat certain foods.

You have not shown one shred of evidence to support your claims.

Ans stahp with the analogies. We are talking about the human physiology - not a car, fire, food warehouse or rich man.

I did not ask about the 95% success rate - I am aware of it - reread my question. And if you want to make a credible argument, do not tell someone to google something to support *your* assertion.

Please look up what recomp means - it does not mean taking someone from 300lb to 160lb.

Look, I'm a Master Trainer, graduate of the National Personal Training Institute and NASM certified, my specialty is nutrition and body composition transformation. taking someone 300lbs to 160lbs IS a change in body composition if they started with 105 pounds of LBM and 195lbs of Fat and end up at 160lbs, 125lbs LBM (gain in Lean body mass of 20lbs, not all muscle but glycogen and water as well, normal gain) and 35 lbs of body fat. thats not just "weight loss", its recomposition. had I used the calorie method, she would have ended up less than 100lbs LBM and way more body fat when she hit 160lbs. I know what Im doing , i don't need to "Look it up". Im not JUST telling u to google it, but that is something easy that the internet does get correct, you DO know that not everything online is complete BS right ? you have to know how who you can trust obviously. most ov these things I talk about can easily be found in the books i have referenced, and yeah its a book or two, but there is even some truth in all lies… its not all bs. and the analogies I used, u obviously can't understand the SIMPLE analogy of "THE MORE MONEY YOU MAKE,THE MORE YOU SPEND" the less you make, the more likely you are to save. the body is the body yet it still follows this analogy when it comes to fat conservation or fat loss. anyway, I'm off of here, if you can't understand theses simple concepts then u wouldn't be able to learn the deeper issues of the body's function. have a nice evening.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    This is actually a well balanced read regarding the Paleo diet imo.

It does actually indicate that it is good for weight loss - not surprising - it is high protein (good satiety and high TEF), has fruits and veggies and nuts and seeds. Also satiating. Few calorie dense but not very satiating foods. Its a way to restrict calories.

What it does not do, and there is nothing out there to indicating otherwise, is allow you to eat unlimited foods and therefore consume calories, without ever putting on weight.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/paleo-diet
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    And on that....I think I have spent enough time in this thread.
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    so you think the people on here who initially responded to me with attacks and jokes deserve my respect ? few have even attempted to engage me with the slightest intelligence and open-mindedness on this topic, they are So brainwashed in the calorie world that I'm just a heretic to them, its fine, i KNOW the truth and how a body really responds to food intake, i don't have the best comm skills ok, not that its anyones business but that comes with being "high functioning aspergers", and if anyone knows aspergers, they take their field of study SERIOUSLY and tend to learn WAY more than most others, like tesla, einstein, etc, no I'm not saying I'm on their level, but i am saying that i know what I'm doing when it comes to this and try to spread the word so people can stop the calorie madness. but i don't care about the attacks, i will talk to those who are willing to question their beliefs and humor me in what I'm saying.

I understand where you are coming from but, when you start talking about pro athletes and world class athletes like Michael Phelps, then you are going to lose me. I am not a pro athlete.

Like most people on this forum, I am an average person trying to lose my excess weight. I personally can not work out in a gym because of health conditions so dietary restrictions is the only way I can lose weight.

please, if you REALLY want professional help and are willing and open to new concepts that work, email me, I will put it in terms u get to help rid u of "extra weight" these concepts apply to "Regular people" same as athletes. and not working out is ok with this, it actually makes it easier, i can teach u why later. nick.west77@me.com
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    sorry but at that moment someone respectfully asked me a question, instead of just being ignorant like most of you.
    i think someone is bored.

That's what happens when mom and dad are out for the evening and you get to stay up late.

haha, nice attempt at a personal attack (once again), I'm 36, and Ive studied the human body prob as long as you have been alive, at least 20 years, I was a Combat Medic in the Army and have had PLENTY of training and experience gained in REAL WORKING CONDITIONS, with great Doctors, not a little "College" frat house. ever wonder, maybe I'm NOT a "heretic" and possibly understand the body a little better than you ?, oh god forbid ANYONE knows the body better than you !! lol. man, never have I met so many close minded people in one place, refusing to even attempt to wonder if what they think they know may be wrong, I'm sorry but if you aren't questioning EVERYTHING you learn from ANYONE then you are never going to know that you didn't know.

Your posts do not exactly scream maturity. But congrats on mastering the quote function.

As Sara has been saying, you make an awful lot of assumptions.
    To be completely honest, I can't even begin to consider your posts because they are almost illegible.

what "assumptions" do you think I'm making ? because they may be assumptions to you and just something I know that you don't to me…..im curious…..

You are assuming everyone who is opposed to you is close minded and that they haven't done their research.
    You assume people's objections to your posts are just about your opposition to calories in/calories out.
    You also assume you are absolutely correct.
    You assume you are smarter than everyone here.

my assumptions are correct if you have "done your research" and STILL think fat loss is about calories and eating less of them. You may have done "some" research, but I have had a personal passion for this and the human body my whole life and I have been studying and researching for 20+ YEARS, not just 2 or 3, I can tell by the fact that you still believe in calories that you haven't truly found facts behind this nutrition thing, its ok, not many people have learned as much as I have , I have proven several Doctors the fool , but thats natural when doctors don't get more than 24 hours of "nutrition" education during med school. and yes, when people tell me Im wrong yet can't tell me why besides "everyone knows its calories" or something like that, then yes, you call these thing assumptions but they are really fact. like it or not.
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    i don't have the best comm skills ok, not that its anyones business but that comes with being "high functioning aspergers", and if anyone knows aspergers, they take their field of study SERIOUSLY and tend to learn WAY more than most others, like tesla, einstein, etc, no I'm not saying I'm on their level, but i am saying that i know what I'm doing when it comes to this and try to spread the word so people can stop the calorie madness. but i don't care about the attacks, i will talk to those who are willing to question their beliefs and humor me in what I'm saying.
    I mean no offense, but having aspergers does not give you a free pass to being a know-it-all. You accuse others of not being able to understand you, therefore creating the illusion that we are your opposition and in the wrong, but the real problem is that you indeed are not communicating well. How about slowing down and trying some paragraph breaks? You can do that, I know you can.

I am not using it as a "free pass", I'm just saying that most "experts" in their fields of study tend to be aspergers, and as such, I tend to have more knowledge in this subject than others, to include doctors, as far are nutrition and fat loss goes, I'm not assuming I know more than I do, but I know way more than the people here just looking for weight loss. 20+years of study and research does that to u.
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options
    This is actually a well balanced read regarding the Paleo diet imo.

It does actually indicate that it is good for weight loss - not surprising - it is high protein (good satiety and high TEF), has fruits and veggies and nuts and seeds. Also satiating. Few calorie dense but not very satiating foods. Its a way to restrict calories.

What it does not do, and there is nothing out there to indicating otherwise, is allow you to eat unlimited foods and therefore consume calories, without ever putting on weight.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/paleo-diet

this is but ONE resource out of the millions. see, what you are not accounting for is the bodies NATURAL way of restricting you from overconsumption, when you eat these natural paleo foods, even not 100% strict paleo, your natural satiety hormones work properly so you will not gain fat by eating to your hearts content. i once thought of getting the PN cert, until I read about him still counting calories, not Im going to do the Functional Diagnostic Nutrition course. its a natural thing to eat according to hunger and satiety. however, if the person has dieted over and over and has a lowered metabolism and leptin as well as insulin and even adrenal resistance then they need to be on this type of nutrition and made to force feed unlimited calories to bring the metabolism back up to higher levels, and only on a three meal a day plan to allow hormonal resensitizing .
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options

No, your lack of making a coherent point is stopping us from trusting you.

Also, how do you know how many carbs you need to replace lost glycogen>?

Can I drink a bottle of oil on this plan?

You did not answer this question of mine

sorry, did not see this, glycogen in general the body utilizes about 130 grams a day for just brain function, muscle glycogen is about 400 grams worth and can be used up in about 6 hours of fasting or in one hour of intense training. so you can actually eat more than you think without excess. its still a rough estimating game, but you tweak based on results , no fat loss, drop carbs and or increase calories. also my buddy would eat something like 250 grams of fat per day, he was ridiculous, and got down to 5-6%BF with Parillo 9 site caliper method done by be every time. his LBM went up as his fat went down, something most "Bodybuilders" don't think is possible simultaneously . thats what the body does with any "excess" calories. I mean if you eat 4,000, you are really only getting like 3600 due to TEF. so thats what the body sees. and if u wish to keep discussing this further, feel free to email me at nick.west77@me.com, I'm willing to talk to you because u sound fairly open to this concept and not just hardcore calories.

So - I lift. I can eat about 500g of carbs and unlimited fats and protein a day or am I misunderstanding?

No offense but I do not trust anecdotal results when they are from sources I am not familiar with and trust (nothing personal)

I get it man, from this post on, u will have to email me, I'm jumping off shortly. nick.west77@me.com. as long as u manipulate carbs so u are losing fat, eat protein and fat to your instincts, everyone is dif in that need, if u feel the need to eat more fat, do it until the body is almost sick of the taste. eat unlimited veggies etc. and yes, try to eat as much as possible ( trust me, my buddy is a competitive eater and he has trouble downing 4,500 cal/day of healthy food and he is abnormal, I doubt u will get that high. and I PROMISE if you don't eat a ton of sugar and bad foods then you will NOT gain FAT….u may gain WEIGHT…but fat will go down as muscle goes up, and if it is not, tweak the carbs until fat loss is as needed, keeping calories high. i had a girl 275 eating 2500 minimum and she was scared that she would get "Fatter", she was 5 foot 2 inches, i told her is was food quality and to trust me since she paid for my advice, she did, prior she ate 1200 and couldn't lose a pound, after my advise, she ate over 2500 and dropped 55 pounds in the first 90 days, over 30 total inches lost, gained in all her performance as well and felt awesome. anyway…email. thanks.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

FWIW, I just read an article on "Flexible Dieting."

http://evidencemag.com/flexible-dieting-basics/

If you want to, it's a good read. It's basically what I've been doing, and it's VERY slow and go...but I've dropped something in the neighborhood of 30 lbs through diet alone in the past year.

Also, I'm struggling with how low my calories are set (I'm onl 5'2 and female, so it's at 1300 cals), so I've began to add exercise (swimming and dancing) more days than the occasional monthly dancing stint.

d.
  • nicholasawestendorf
    Options

I have a BMR of 1707 (determined through an oxygen consumption test) so no, of course I'm not going to take on your "challenge" and eat 2500+ calories because I know damn well I will gain weight- whether I eat whole foods or junk food.

By the way, I already eat strictly whole foods (Mediterranean diet, low carb, moderate protein, moderate fat) due to insulin resistance and hypoglycemia.

In other words, your theory has been debunked.
    Ok, so your BMR is 1707, do you think it STAYS at that ? and eating less will cause a permanent deficit ?, it will create a deficit for about two weeks, then you will hit a plateau because your 1707 BMR WILL drop to just under what you are eating per day. If you DO take my challenge however, eating MORE than you need will A: RAISE your metabolic rate and thermogenisis (only 1 of the 5 ways we burn calories btw) B: your body will utilize more of the excess calories to build and repair muscle and the body in general, C: it costs 10% roughly of what you eat just to digest the food so you end up with only 90% at most. D: your body ramps UP fat burning enzymes and hormones. result is you WILL lose more fat than before and perform better. calories are no different that water, you drink more you piss more out, drink less, you retain more. like I said, its called a "Negative Feedback Loop". think of it as a fire, you are feeding your fire less fuel than it needs to keep burning hot, it gets smaller and less hot, the metabolism does the same thing. see, you all think that your BMR remains the same no matter your calorie intake, this is not true, the body will try to match by lowing or raising it. so you will lose fat AND muscle tissue until your BMR is say 1200, then you stop losing and can actually gain/retain body fat and lose more muscle. its sad that no one really understand this.

You will hit a plateau in 2 weeks? Really?

You do realize that your BMR is not your TDEE?

Also, please could you show where eating at a deficit causes a permanent drop in your BMR outside what it would due to weight lose. Also, please show me how you will lose weight if not at a deficit?

And again, please stop making assumptions.

im not talking about "Losing Weight" here, Im talking about a positive shift in body comp. you know, more muscle and less fat AT THE SAME TIME, yes its possible. tell me if calories count, how could I have a 190 pound athlete eating 4,500 calories ( 20 whole egg omelets and piles of bacon at one meal sometimes) right up to a physique show, steadily losing body fat percentage and gaining LBM ? his BMR was prob only 2000-2200 plus his daily TDEE may have been 3500-4000 at most in expenditure. the REASON that you lose FAT while over consuming calories from real food, no sugar, and controlled carbs only, is that our body has a "Calorie conservation" mode and it also has a "calorie wasting" mode. we also burn calories in 5 diff pathways. Mechanical is but 1 path. Thermoregulation is 2, Hormonal (production and utilization of them) is 3, Chemically ( digestion etc) is 4 and Neurological is 5, the more calories we consume the higher our nervous energy usage is, creating more energy for exercise. you are SO fixated on fat loss being your TDEE - intake= fat loss. in reality what has to happen in our body during a deficit is not necessarily fat utilization, you assume that is what happens, what really happens is lower calories lowers TOTAL weight, meaning you lose MUSCLE, other tissues, some fat, and you don't recover as well and also lose bone tissue if done long enough. I'm not talking "Weight loss" once again, Im talking Body Composition change. the excess calories, if healthy, will be utilized for healthy tissue building, not fat storage, thats a very simplistic idea of the body, its not cause and effect. you eat MORE of anything and the body tries to maintain a physiological "Normal" level, like sodium/potassium balance and water, or Oxygen to Carbon Dioxide ratio in the blood controls breathing rate. hell, did you know you will die if you breath PURE oxygen ? it will make you stop breathing due to the "hypoxic drive", until you get a breath with carbon dioxide in it to stimulate the hypoxic drive, O2 in blood gets low, breathing goes up, it gets too high, breathing goes down. you get too hot, you sweat to return to homeostasis, what makes you think calories are any different ? it is ALL controlled by Negative Feedback Mechanisms. true biological actions/reactions are medically known. look into the book "the calorie myth" and he give more than enough medical reference proving my words. as well as "the fat switch" by a doctor or Dr. Jack Kruse's works/website. its all out there.

You are talking about recomping. Then why did you just not say that?.

Are you suggesting that for everyone?

YES !!! why not ? isn't that what EVERYONE is looking for ? less fat more muscle, a fast metabolism and high performance and recovery and the ability to eat WHATEVER and burn it right off ? eating this way, Ive had clients lose FAT even faster than lowering calories ! with the bonus that they don't have to worry about slipping or falling off their "diet" , its just "healthy eating" and abundance of food, its a positive relationship with food, not seeing it as the fat storing enemy. this is how you maintain healthy weight over a LIFETIME not just for 10 or 30 years having to ALWAYS count calories and bull**** that don't matter. THIS is the right way and healthy way.

So, someone significantly overweight should recomp and not actually try to lose weight?

For someone who has been slamming people for not willing to think of anything outside their current ideas and beliefs, the statement "THIS is the right way" is a little hypocritical don't you think?

And again, with the assumptions - maybe not everyone is looking for more muscle.

Also, are you saying that I can eat 6,000 calories and not gain weight?

yes thats what Im saying. hell, phelps ate 12,000 per day of a lot of junk and got leaner, and he didn't burn it all thru exercise, think about it. you have a food warehouse and are in charge of rationing out food to the village, you get a big shipment each day, you give out a bit extra to people….not one day something happens and they only can deliver ONE shipment of food per week to you, are u still gonna give out extra ? or will you be giving out LESS food until shipments are increased ? thats how the body sees fat. I'm trying to put this in terms u will "get". yes, the "right way" to lose weight (they will still lose weight due to more pounds of fat being shed than there are pounds of muscle being built, women build muscle slowly), its not "close minded" for me to say that this is the healthier way, the long term way, because there are only two ways to do this, short term thru caloric deprivation (95% failure rate) or healthy eating of an abundance of food, which is long term sustainable, its how people ate before we started tinkering with "Calories" and screwing things up by over thinking things and sticking our hands in trying to manipulate nature like the arrogant humans we are. Im betting if you eat healthy, limit carb intake to say 300 grams per day (enough to replace lost glycogen but not overflow) and eat as much as u can of everything else, ESP Fats like saturated fat from natural fed animals (healthiest for the human body, being solid at room temp means its the most stable against oxidative damage and free radical production in the body) and the more u eat, the leaner u will get. I have done this on many clients and friends as well.

You know Phelps denies eating 12,000 calories a day, right?
    [/quote

Either way, he ate MORE than he burnt in exercise, they did a whole video on what he ate daily, even if was half that, he still didn't do 3000 calories worth of exercise…however, he did burn a lot of calories THERMALLY by being in water (removes heat 30times faster than air) for hours on end each day. still….more energy in=more energy out. this is deeper stuff than nutrition 101 here.
  • marricurt
    marricurt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i don't have the best comm skills ok, not that its anyones business but that comes with being "high functioning aspergers", and if anyone knows aspergers, they take their field of study SERIOUSLY and tend to learn WAY more than most others, like tesla, einstein, etc, no I'm not saying I'm on their level, but i am saying that i know what I'm doing when it comes to this and try to spread the word so people can stop the calorie madness. but i don't care about the attacks, i will talk to those who are willing to question their beliefs and humor me in what I'm saying.

Well.. Sadly, this thread just made a lot more sense.:frown:
  • RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This poor thread has been hijacked. For the average person its really all about in and out. for the athletes who can support a 6k or higher diet fantastic but most of do not metabolize like this. Bottom line is the more muscle you have the more you will metabolize. This is factual and we all know this. It is also true that the more you starve your body they more it will hold onto fat. The key is to find a balance between exercise and diet. where one can build a body to support a healthy lifestyle. So to answer the original question a bad day is a bad day and you will likely not be hurt by it if you are able to stay within your caloric requirements.:happy: We all have bad days they keep us real.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    The original thread is about 9 months old so I don't think hijacking is really an issue now :smile:
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    sorry to pop your "Calorie bubble" but FAT LOSS (not weight loss) and body COMPOSITION is NOT based on Calories in-calories out. this is a FLAWED system and has NEVER been truly proven in the medical literature, however, they HAVE done studies that show the exact OPPOSITE is true, out of 67,000 + people, split into 5 groups based on their daily calorie intake has shown that the MORE calories they ate, the LESS body fat they carried, and the LESS calories they ate, the MORE body fat they carried. this was done at Harvard BTW. also a recent finding even out on the news, over weight middle school children were shown to eat LESS food than their leaner counterparts. when I was in the Army, we all ate in the dining facility three meals a day, crap food pyramid food, men consumed roughly 4,000 cal/day and women about 3,000 if not more, yet EVERYONE got leaner, except a couple people who tried to "diet" by restricting carbs and calories etc, they kept most of their fat and never performed well like the rest of us. as Long as this Calorie MYTH is perpetuated by so-called "Fitness gurus", who have no actual knowledge of human biology or "negative feedback loops" and how they work in the body, then we will NEVER see an end to Obesity. sure, you can lose weight with calorie reduction, it "Works" short term at best however, 95% of you who "diet" this way, will hit a wall, then fall off this "Diet", and will gain ALL the fat lost plus about an extra 5 pounds of fat more than they started with per "diet cycle". you can ignore my words and what i have given you this day….or you can try something new….EAT LIKE AN ATHLETE TO LOOK LIKE ONE. Not ONE pro athlete or Olympic athlete eats a clean "Diet", they drink Monsters and red bulls and eat cereal and milk and eat like 8000 calories per day, yet they stay LEAN and MUSCULAR like an NFL wide receiver (have you ever seen how they eat?) think about it. there are little to no CrossFit Athletes that "Count Calories" (a practice in futility that is about 25% off anyway on all food labels), they eat maybe 70/30 "Clean" healthy Paleo type foods and some junk food. yet most have 6 packs. hmmmm. why is it that only those looking for fat loss "Diet" and Count Calories and Athletes who look for Performance Eat whatever they want yet get the results that the "fat loss Dieters" seek ? the body is WAY more complicated than "Calories in - Calories Out", sorry, its not something that you can "outsmart" or "fight" or "Force" to do what you want. you must know how the body responds to input so you can work WITH biology not against it.

Lol
  • marricurt
    marricurt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This thread is like rotten milk. You know it's bad but you still have to smell it. Then you smell it again to see if it really smells as bad as it does.

Also, I think we have seen trolling taken to a new level. I know its only July but I'm making my vote for troll of the year now.

He (or she, I didn't actually look at the profile info) isn't a troll.. He has Aspergers... It's on the autism spectrum and results in social and communication difficulties (hence the long wall of what feels like ranting with limited grammar and punctuation) a lack of empathy and insight and similar traits to autism in that people get highly fixated on specific subjects.. Like this one. Hopefully he will find someone to share his passionate view with elsewhere but if not, just remember he isn't trying to inflame or agitate people.. It's just a different way of seeing and interacting with the world. :smile:
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    /sigh must we really indulge this idiocy. XD

Some poor persons topic has gotten seriously derailed.

And in answer to THAT topic. Yes nutrition matters if you don't want to go from looking like a fat sack of crap to looking like a thin sack of crap. I am sorry but yes you CAN lose weight on junk food and sofa sitting if you restrict enough. But you will NOT like the results.