Women losing weight on 1800+ calories

Replies

• Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    1) 22
    2) 5'8
    3) 194
    4) Not a lot of workout-type excercise, but a LOT of activity. I walk and bicycle everywhere, and have a job that involves some heavy labor.
    5) Between 2200 and 3000, depending on that day's activity
    6) Work activity into your daily life. During the school year I burn a solid 500 calories a day just on my commute. The more active your are, the more you can eat and still lose weight.

About .5 per week when I'm actually counting calories. Some weeks I lose over a pound, sometimes nothing at all. I've lost 13 lbs so far. Then life happened and I stalled for a bit, but I'm getting back on track :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    is it just me or are most of these posts from people who still weigh a considerable amount more than their goal weight. and many lose super slow?

Is there anyone near their goal weight losing at 1800? and more than .5 pounds here and there.
  • jkakmorgan
    jkakmorgan Posts: 2 Member
    1) 36 years old
    2) 5 ft 5 in
    3) 113 lb (fluctuates between 110-115)
    4) Running, cardio circuit training, Zumba, some lifting classes i.e. Body Pump. I do a variety of classes 3-5 times per week and try to run at least 3 miles on my off days.
    5) Eat between 1500-2500 depending on activity for day.
    6) My tip is to not obsess. If you know you are going to be over your cals for the day, sneak in a little extra daily exercise...a walk, a workout dvd, some crunches, etc. You will learn to know your body and it's ideal weight, and when you feel extra fluffy either cut your cals some or ramp up your workouts.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    is it just me or are most of these posts from people who still weigh a considerable amount more than their goal weight. and many lose super slow?

Is there anyone near their goal weight losing at 1800? and more than .5 pounds here and there.

I was near my goal weight. I lost around .5 a week. But, if I lost any faster, I would be losing muscle. I wasn't trying to lose weight. I was trying to get lean from losing a bit of fat, and keeping muscle while lifting weights. Slower is much better when you are already slender.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

When you are near goal weight (I am) it's better to lose slowly. Slower ensures more energy, better adherence and less muscle loss (which means more fat loss).
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    bump
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member

When you are near goal weight (I am) it's better to lose slowly. Slower ensures more energy, better adherence and less muscle loss (which means more fat loss).

This. Also, you are correct that people "losing" on 1800 without a considerable amount of exercise or macro planning tend to have a lot more to lose and are farther from their goal. Like I said earlier, the reality is that, as you get closer to your goal, you must either increase your activity or decrease your calories to maintain (or even eke out a .5 a week----for us goal-weight people, that amount is HUGE, not to be discredited!!!) So you can't have it both ways, at goal weight (or even within 10lbs of the lower end of the healthy weight spectrum which is what most 115lb-130lb people land on the chart as,). I think the OP might be wanting to hear that people can be near goal weight and still lose (more than .5lb at a time, if that) at 1800, which is probably not true for *most* people. 1800 is probably a good maintenance number for most women who have reached their goal and are still keeping up exercising/lifting 3-5 times a week.
    Edited for the last sentence.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    I'm 10 lbs from goal weight and to lose 1 lb a week I eat 1820. I normally though, honestly, net anywhere from 1820-2200. I'm happy with where I am now and want to put on some muscle. It's not a race for me, as long as I feel good I'm happy.
  • VGomez22
    VGomez22 Posts: 34 Member
    1) 19 years old
    2) 5 ft 5 in
    3) I don't weigh myself--I've been going off measurements and I've noticed that my size 10 (recently washed Hollister jeans) fit me. They haven't fitted me in years...
    4) I workout 6x a week. Monday-Friday I lift weights, stair master 20 minutes, elliptical (level 20 incline) 40 minutes a day. I also go to Zumba 5x a week. Sometimes I'll just lift weights then go to Zumba. It depends how tired I am.
    5) Eat between 1400-1600 depending if I workout or not.
    6) My tip is to eat ENOUGH!!!!!! I used to be a big binger on the 1200cal day life. I would be "good" all week and ruin my weekends. All I ever accomplish was maintaining my weight. I switched to eating 1600-1800 a day and I don't even think about food. I eat what I want. I do IF though. My eating hour is 12:00pm-8:00pm. I'm not even hungry.
  • CONGRATS Kim!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member

I'm six pounds from goal..... and I'd be losing a hell of a lot faster than 0.5/week if I was willing to stick to 1800 calories. I eat just under my maintenance and aim for slow as I can go because I'm trying to make sure that what I lose is FAT and not muscle. When I had more to lose I ate closer to 1800 but my calorie intake has slowly creeped UP the more weight I lose. I'm doing that on purpose. I'm basically trying to eat at maintenance for my goal weight, so when I get there, there's no transition and I just keep doing what I've been doing for the last several months.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member

1800 net is what I eat at 1/2lb a week without any workouts. I am about 5-10 lbs from goal weight range. With workouts im eating 2100-2200 calories a day if I don't eat back I lose close to 1lb a week.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

I'm more-or-less at my goal weight. I'd like to see my body fat come down about 1% but that's about it.

When I first came on here, I was straight-up obese and losing at 2300 calories a day.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member

I'm six pounds from goal..... and I'd be losing a hell of a lot faster than 0.5/week if I was willing to stick to 1800 calories. I eat just under my maintenance and aim for slow as I can go because I'm trying to make sure that what I lose is FAT and not muscle. When I had more to lose I ate closer to 1800 but my calorie intake has slowly creeped UP the more weight I lose. I'm doing that on purpose. I'm basically trying to eat at maintenance for my goal weight, so when I get there, there's no transition and I just keep doing what I've been doing for the last several months.

That's me too. If I stuck to 1800 I'd probably be losing a consistent 1 lb per week instead of ".5 pounds here and there," which is just fine by me because I want to keep my sexy muscles. ;)
  • cjl2535
    cjl2535 Posts: 89
    So reassuring to hear that I'm not "overeating".
    Thank you ladies :P
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    I am 25 years old, 5'7. I currently weigh about 178lbs, down from 250lbs. I was once eating around 1200-1300 calories a day. My hair started falling out...and my weight loss plateaued hard for about 8 months straight. I decided that it would not hurt to increase my calories and try it. I eat anywhere from 1700 (on a very very lazy day) all the way up to 2200 (on a very good day). My weight loss has not been steady...but I was 198 lbs at xmas time. So in 7 months I have lost about 20lbs.

I deliberately exercise usually once a day if I am not working, usually weights or high cardio for about 1 hour..most days. Other wise...I am actually pretty lazy.
  • jessica_1205_
    jessica_1205_ Posts: 21 Member
    1) Age: 24
    2) Height: 5' 5''
    3) Weight: Currently 193lbs with my highest weight at 220lbs, though I was down to 181lbs at the end of 2013. Don't ask what happened there...!
    4) Lifestyle (how much exercise, etc.): Running at least 5k three mornings a week, 60 minute bootcamp classes 3-4 times a week
    5) Calories / day: 1600- 1900 calories
    6) any tips you can provide me :D: Get your exercise out of the way early if you can, before your body knows what's happening! ;)
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    1) Age: 28
    2) Height: 5'7"
    3) Weight: 151 lbs
    4) Lifestyle (how much exercise, etc.): I walk a minimum of 5 miles 4 days a week, I go to the gym at least 3 days a week and do 45 minutes of strength training plus usually a 4 mile run or take a class (kickboxing or Zumba)
    5) Calories / day: my calorie intake varies greatly, usually around 1800 - 2100
    6) any tips you can provide me: Don't cut out all the foods you love, it is absolutely not necessary and I have seen more than one person fail because things get "too hard" because they think they can't enjoy their sweets and treats. Learn moderation and portion control, weigh solids and measure liquids.

I'm losing half a lb to a lb a week currently. I'm hoping to lose another 16 lbs to be at my ultimate goal weight of 135.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

before I hit maitenance I lost 3/4lb a week eating 1750 a day...on average...at 1800 I would consistently lose 1/2lb a week...I ate 1600 up to the point where I had 25lbs to lose then switched it up...so yes you can eat that much food and still lose weight and not be far from goal.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!