Would you date someone overweight?

Options

Replies

• Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Last time I dated someone for their looks I ended up with someone built like a basketball player who watched Wizards of Waverly Place and crap like that.

I find that if I am looking for a real relationship my physical archetype preference is generally thrown out the window and I end up with a much better result in the end. My hubs is big like I am and is quite the awesome... in so many ways. mmmm
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Never had but I would.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I would date someone overweight because often they are diamonds in the rough. There aren't many unmarried men in my age bracket--someone who has been overlooked by other women because they are fat (but not to the extent of requiring the doors to be widened/significant mobility debility) is a much better companion than someone who is single because they are a jerk.

OTOH I would never date a smoker. Partly because my asthma is triggered by smoke, but mostly because--eww!

add: plus, as we all here know, "fat" is a temporary, fixable condition. As personal flaws go, it's pretty minor.

add: now, some folk are saying they're worried that "fat habits" would wear off on them. Using my martial arts lingo, I think the key is to keep your center so that their habits evolve to something that is more healthy *for them* as a result of contact with you, rather than you adopting their unhealthy habits. . But it has to be what is right for their body--eg: low carb works well for me, but if I date a fat guy and low fat works for him, we each follow our own plan.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Would you ride a scooter?

Would you tell your friends?

Roll out.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    A few pounds overweight, sure. Morbidly obese, no. Perhaps that makes me shallow but that's my preference. I've gotten told that I was too skinny by a few women and I'm okay with that.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    yes
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    yep!
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Me and my SO are both overweight and losing it together.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    personality goes a long way so my answer is yes
  • MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Not only would, but I have dated a few heftier girls. I don't care so much about weight as who they are, and that they aren't a...er...well you know. :laugh:

Most people are caught up on body image so much that they forget to work on personality. If you are the hottest girl in the world, you get no where and nothing if you open your mouth and ruin it. Just sayin'...
  • whyyesitsneke
    Options
    Weight doesn't matter to me in many regards. I want to lose weight and be healthier but to be honest, I would date a man heavier than me, or lighter, or the same.

Would I worry about his health? Yes. But does the fat change the fact that the guy makes me laugh, etc? Nope!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I've dated a few men who were quite large. My last bf of 2 years was probably 300 lbs. I never cared one way or the other except as a health concern as long as they were able to keep up with me. But now I've met my soulmate and he just happens to be very fit and slim and has inspired me to get fit as well. I can barely keep up with him. We inspire each other. It's a very welcome change to be that couple who can go for a run or hike together.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    I admit, I would not date someone who does not take care of him/herself and is morbidly obese. I'm very short and would constantly worry that I would not be able to help that person get up because they are so heavy. Though if that person is a little overweight and is trying hard to build and maintain a healthy lifestyle I would date.. and if it happens that we have the same interests that would be a plus!
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    personality goes a long way so my answer is yes

:drinker:
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Date someone while I'm overweight? Heck yes...I do it now. :wink:
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    If that person would date me... why not? I'm no supermodel...
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Date someone while I'm overweight? Heck yes...I do it now. :wink:

This was my immediate thought: If I didn't date while overweight, I wouldn't have dated at all.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Almost exclusively.

Almost?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Absolutley would. :)

If compatibility doesn't take precedent, then you shouldn't be in the dating game to begin with.