Why are people so hateful??

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I got nothing else to debate :(. Ya'll won. With the report and ignore feature as well as the Mods to intervene. I'm stumped.

Was really hoping to rally and overthrow the regime but now I just wanna be part of it. Time to go get my snickers, joker mask, and tie grenades to people. The kill string will be attached to the pin, fall too far back and well KABOOM!

If you want to get started, the crazy "You don't need to count calories" guy has made a new account and posted again.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    All I see is difference of opinions.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    What's a hater?
    Your guess is as good as mine.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I got nothing else to debate :(. Ya'll won. With the report and ignore feature as well as the Mods to intervene. I'm stumped.

Was really hoping to rally and overthrow the regime but now I just wanna be part of it. Time to go get my snickers, joker mask, and tie grenades to people. The kill string will be attached to the pin, fall too far back and well KABOOM!

If you want to get started, the crazy "You don't need to count calories" guy has made a new account and posted again.

I got a torch and a pitchfork.. just gotta find my map and then that thread!
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    No this not a place of help and support.
    Its a calorie counting website. That's all it's "supposed to be"
    Hmmm... then, pray tell, why is there a "Motivation and Support" message board (upon which you post)?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's not bullying if it's a situation where an adult can walk away without real life consequences.

That is probably the most direct and succient definition of bullying I've ever seen. Well done.

Yeah, being bullied is when you are in a situation you cannot walk away from without consequence and you are bein coerced.

That does not exist here.

Good thing the authorities don't view the definition of bullying as "a situation you cannot walk away from without consequence."

This is the official definition:
    Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance.

http://www.stopbullying.gov/what-is-bullying/definition/
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The person can remove themselves from a bullying situation online.

Just debating at this point but can't the bully stop as well?

In case you are unaware, bullying in person and over the internet is ILLEGAL. It is taken very seriously by authorities.

ETA: Not talking to you zeroaccess. Talking to the person above you.

Do you think that I am unaware of much or that I am a bully?

But since we're all adults here, there really is no "bullying" and certainly nothing the authorities would take very seriously.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

In case you are unaware, bullying in person and over the internet is ILLEGAL. It is taken very seriously by authorities.

But since we're all adults here, there really is no "bullying" and certainly nothing the authorities would take very seriously.

So you think adults can't be bullies? Ok. :laugh:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It's not bullying if it's a situation where an adult can walk away without real life consequences.

That is probably the most direct and succient definition of bullying I've ever seen. Well done.

Yeah, being bullied is when you are in a situation you cannot walk away from without consequence and you are bein coerced.

Good thing the authorities don't view the definition of bullying as "a situation you cannot walk away from without consequence."

You are probably thinking about the cases of Facebook bullying that resulted in a couple of suicides.

Let me be clear for you. Those were situations in which people purposefully when after people and in ways above and beyond being mean. That is not the same as calling someone stupid, refuting their arguments, etc. To draw a parallel for MFP, a person would need to constantly follow a person around the forums, message them constantly, and circumvent any ignoring/blocking that the "bullied" user put in place.
  • likitisplit
    Options

http://www.workplacebullying.org/individuals/problem/definition/

"workplace bullying...Requires consequences for the targeted individual"
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    They are a FANTASTIC place to suggest that post-partum depression is the primary cause of SIDS.

Spit out my tea laughing :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    Options

You are probably thinking about the cases of Facebook bullying that resulted in a couple of suicides.

Let me be clear for you. Those were situations in which people purposefully when after people and in ways above and beyond being mean. That is not the same as calling someone stupid, refuting their arguments, etc. To draw a parallel for MFP, a person would need to constantly follow a person around the forums, message them constantly, and circumvent any ignoring/blocking that the "bullied" user put in place.

Which is so totally against the guidelines that it would get your user profile deleted STAT.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Correct. When adults do those things it's called harassment or stalking or coercion or extortion or any of a number of other things. But from a legal standpoint, it's not bullying.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I get an urge to start a thread with the request to provide your interpretation of the words:
    Meanie
    Bully
    Hater

But you don't get to accuse anyone unless you post examples from the forums. Wonder how it would develop...

I don't think many people even know what the meaning of these words are.

Just disagreeing with someone, even if it's dangerous, and you get thrown into the lions den, for being a hater and rude.

Can I ask why people keep trying to help others here? I enjoy helping new people, but really the "you suck and are a mean hater for disagreeing with my 500 calorie a day juice cleanse" is really frustrating. Demotivating when it comes to helping new people, and I haven't been trying that long. Some of you have been here slugging through the trenches for a long time. You are articulate, thoughtful and helpful.

I'm probably being overly sensitive (obviously, I am) but what's the point in trying to help others when they backhand you for it?
  • wheird
    Options

http://www.workplacebullying.org/individuals/problem/definition/

"workplace bullying...Requires consequences for the targeted individual"

Derailing weight loss gurnies!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Actually, I was talking about bullying in general. Not what happens on Facebook or Twitter or whatever other social media sites people use these days.

And that's not the "bullying" I'm referring to.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

According to this site, adults can't be the victim of cyberbullying at all. They can be guilty of cyberharrassment, but only if they "repeatedly harass or threaten someone online."

https://www.wiredsafety.org/subjects/cyberbullying.php

I wouldn't consider any of the exchanges that have been discussed in this thread to fall under that guideline.

Can people be jerks? Sure. Are people on this website regularly "repeatedly harassing and threatening" other members? Not in my opinion. I'm not going to say it's never happened. But it certainly isn't common. And like Pikaknight said, there are moderators here who deal with that sort of thing.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Is this third-person butthurt about the shiritaki noodle "mac and cheese" thread?

:noway: oh for the love of all that's holy....:sick: grossssss
  • wheird
    Options

Actually, I was talking about bullying in general. Not what happens on Facebook or Twitter or whatever other social media sites people use these days.

And that's not the "bullying" I'm referring to.

Then by all means, quit being vague and spit it out so it can be addressed.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Which is so totally against the guidelines that it would get your user profile deleted STAT.

Apparently not since there's a certain individual who was doing way worse last night…. actually making threats, harassing, and making racist comments to a number of individuals last night and his account is still active.

Major failure on the mods behalf.
This discussion has been closed.