August Cycling Challenge 2014

Options
CricketKate
CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
Wow! Can we be in August already! Welcome back to Anyone who is coming from previous months. And Welcome to anyone who is just joining us for the first time. This is a very casual challenge for anyone who wants to push a bike pedal. We welcome EVERYONE! If you are a warrior who rides 101 miles a week, we want you to post. If you are struggling to pedal up the driveway, we want you to post. If you are an avid spinner, we want you to post. If you're pulling the trailer to get you children to the park, we want you to post. Commuting? Great! Mountain biking? Fantastic! Recumbent bike while you're watching Dr Phil? Wonderful! Whatever your level, whatever you're pedaling, we welcome you!

You may post whatever you want: distance, time, terrain, soreness, WHATEVER! Some people have kept a running total, some people just post whatever ride they made that day. Others use tickers. However you want to post and whatever makes you want to post is the correct way. So put on your cushion shorts, get your water bottles, and push those pedals.

Replies

• sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    IN.
    All the best to you, CricketKate. Will keep you in my thoughts.

My goal for August is 30 miles again. It's a small goal, but I'll secretly try for more.
  • marthabilski
    Options
    I will try to do 100 again this month. May be hard to get my rides in as I am going back to work but it doesn't hurt to try!
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Goal for August will be 250 and I will go for it!

July was a bust with vacation and was away every weekend. It was the coolest and wetest July in history for Indiana. If there was a 10% chance of a thunderstorm we got it. Almost everyday had a least a 10% chance
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I achieved my goal last month for 125 miles.
    This month i will try for 175 miles.
    Anyone who is using Strava and is looking for more friends send me a PM and ill give you my Strava username.
    Would be great to follow more beginner cyclists on Strava like myself.
    Good luck guys.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I had a monster month in July, not sure I can match or exceed it but will try. So ............

Mileage goal: 1,100 miles
    Climbing goal: 75,000 ft
    Avg Speed goal 14mph

Not a good start today as it's hissing it down at the moment!!
  • JamesLeeAllen
    Options
    Won't have time to match what I did in July (950-ish miles) due to being back to work but I'd like to get a good 600 miles done of my usually pretty hilly routes.

Bit of mountain biking thrown in too :)
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'd like to join this casual challenge to help me track my training for my very first century ride (in late September). I commute to work 6 miles one way, and I'm going to start some serious training this Sunday with my boyfriend who's also doing the century with me. Can't wait to get to know everyone!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Welcome Colibri!!

I am expecting more miles this month. Have a century ride 23-Aug so that will help. Anyone else doing the Hotter N Hell in Wichita Falls?
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I was part of another challenge that has gone dormant but it was that group (some folks in particular) that got my hind end back in the saddle. I used to ride a lot until I broke my hip a few years ago. I would love to ride more miles but this will keep me at it . I had a goal of 50 last month and actually was closer to 70. Work could prove challenging this month with some travel so I think I'll stick to the 50 and hope to blow it away!

Thanks all.

Ann
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I had a monster month in July, not sure I can match or exceed it but will try. So ............

Mileage goal: 1,100 miles
    Climbing goal: 75,000 ft
    Avg Speed goal 14mph

Not a good start today as it's hissing it down at the moment!!

There is a reason you have that polka dot jersey! Dang! Good luck!
  • hollytrolly91
    hollytrolly91 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm up for the challenge. I've just started cycling back to work after a few injuries; it's an 18 mile round trip so my aim is to do this twice a week, and another day cycle in and get the train home. With a bit of extra cycling on the weekends, my goal is 200 miles. Happy cycling everyone :)
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I want to join! It's TOO HOT here for outdoor cycling, so I'm indoor for all of August. My goal for August is 250 miles.
  • dawnr2
    dawnr2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bike today so I'd love to join in too. I'm going out for a ride tonight so that will let me decide on a goal for the month
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm going to commit to 150 miles.

Not sure how many of these will be road miles as this is a really crazy month (AGAIN) for me. I will at least get my butt on the spin bike.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    August 1 - rode 11.5 miles for a duration of 00:45:20 (XC Race Warm-Up Practice)

August Totals: 11.5 miles for a duration of 00:45:20

***August Goals = race well in mountain bike races on my calendar for the 3rd, 17th, 24th, and the big "50 miler" on the 31st. That's a lot of mountain bike racing for one month meaning I will have to taper and recover as best as possible this month to pull it off.
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    alright this months my objective is 800 kilometers (497 miles)

at an average speed of 22-24 km/h (14-15 mph)

lets get started!
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Slow start to the month due to horrid weather :-(

08-01 14.4 miles ridden at 15.0 mph avg. with 1,241ft climbing

MTD Totals

14.4 miles ridden at 15.0 avg and 1,241 ft climbing
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I want to join! It's TOO HOT here for outdoor cycling, so I'm indoor for all of August. My goal for August is 250 miles.

Ride early if possible. I'm riding at daybreak Sat & Sun to 'beat the heat'
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    8-1-14 20 miles
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I've got an organized ride coming up and am planning on doing probably a metric half or a half-century. Probably the metric half. We shall see how I hold up. I haven't been training this year as I have in some years past.