Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Always crack me up when yanks say ...

Eye-Rack

Eye-tal-ians

Oh and they never get the town of Leominster right .... (it's Lemster BTW)

PS ... Aluminium ..bwhaaaaaaaaaa
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Gonna have a bob -e-q out in the yad, invite Peta and Linder and cook up some of them Lobstah! :bigsmile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Amerigo
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    The one that I wonder about is Carnegie. Andrew Carnegie was from Pittsburgh, but was a titan of industry world wide. As such many places are named after him, New York for example. But everyone else pronounces it Car-nuh-Gee while we say it Car-Nay-Gee.

I really hope everyone else is saying it wrong and not us.

Andrew CAR- NAY- GEE came from Scotland and that is how you say it...with a hard 'G'

And for the record - it's Edin- buh-ruh- NOT Edinboro or Edinburg; Glas GO not Glas-GOW and Aber-DEEN not AH -berdeen. There's American 'English' then there's PROPER English!!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    I am irritated when people say FO-ward for FORward, as well as when they pronounce February as Feb-u-ary!
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    It's known as "regional dialects". If this is your biggest problem today, thank the Almighty for your good fortune! Might not be a bad idea to pull the log out of your butt as well....................
  • Shropshire1959
    It's known as "regional dialects". If this is your biggest problem today, thank the Almighty for your good fortune! Might not be a bad idea to pull the log out of your butt as well....................

This board is called "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" ... lighten up Francis..:tongue::tongue:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    As a person raised in Michigan, I must add "Sault St. Marie" to this discussion.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Okay, here's one for the Brits: Gloucestershire. I think I recall it without the "ce" in there, but I'm not sure.

There are many tricky areas in London, too. Marylebone looks to be read Mary-le-bone, but I vaguely remember Maryl-bone.

Yep glos-ter-shire. Same as Leicestershire -les-ter-shire.
    My husband and I both say mar-lee-bone.
    Ah ha! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Missed off a bit... Neither of us are from London so we may possibly be wrong.... Although that'd make everyone I've ever played monopoly* with wrong too. (*it's one of the stations). :)

Edit to add an apostrophe. Just incase it bothers fellow pedants.

I am an Londoner - we say Marl-e-bone / Glos-ter-shear / Les-ter-shear

My biggest grip is the mispronunciation of Leicester square - its not Lie-cess-ter Square its Les-ter Square. If you are a US tourist in London and you pronounce this correctly then you'll be well respected :)
  • Okay, here's one for the Brits: Gloucestershire. I think I recall it without the "ce" in there, but I'm not sure.

There are many tricky areas in London, too. Marylebone looks to be read Mary-le-bone, but I vaguely remember Maryl-bone.

Yep glos-ter-shire. Same as Leicestershire -les-ter-shire.
    My husband and I both say mar-lee-bone.
    Ah ha! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Missed off a bit... Neither of us are from London so we may possibly be wrong.... Although that'd make everyone I've ever played monopoly* with wrong too. (*it's one of the stations). :)

Edit to add an apostrophe. Just incase it bothers fellow pedants.

I am an Londoner - we say Marl-e-bone / Glos-ter-shear / Les-ter-shear

My biggest grip is the mispronunciation of Leicester square - its not Lie-cess-ter Square its Les-ter Square. If you are a US tourist in London and you pronounce this correctly then you'll be well respected :)

Assuming "Marl-e-bone" is eeeee as in knee not e as in egg then I'm feeling rather pleased with myself. Lol. And yep 'shire' = "shear" as in rhyming with hear and ear; not "shire" (as in the place hobbits live).
  • PS I love phonics.
  • jojokmack
    jojokmack Posts: 117
    well I'm from England and as far as I am concerned ALL Americans pronounce things wrong! *giggle*
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    well to that I say the word is aluminium not "al -U -Min -e-um"
  • Shropshire1959
    well I'm from England and as far as I am concerned ALL Americans pronounce things wrong! *giggle*

Dead right :-p
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    2 more food ones:

Chorizo pronounced as chorit-zo. Special rage points for trying to overdo a Spanish accent while pronoucing it as no Spanish person would ever do. It doesn't have a 'zz' like pizza! But everybody does it. If being strictly correct it's chor-ee-tho although I do agree that sounds a bit pretentious from an English person, otherwise chor-ee-so is ok for an English speaker.

Canape pronounced as canopy.
  • Abscominsoon
    Abscominsoon Posts: 13 Member
    There are many streets with French names in Detroit. Everyone butchers them, and it drives me nuts.

How bout when people try to say Gratiot!!!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    \

The Butthurt is strong with this one
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

Dead right :-p

Dank uns können Sie nicht lesen
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    well to that I say the word is aluminium not "al -U -Min -e-um"
    They spell it alumiNUM, too. I don't get how that one started, because originally it is alumiNIUM and just about every other country includes the i in the name.