1200 cal is NOT enough

Options
I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. 1200 calories was my lunch yesterday, not a days worth of intake! I don't want to hear any excuses like "I'm never hungry" or that you cant find any high calorie foods that are healthy.

My diet is heavily plant based. Even if my foods are not high calorie, I eat frequently and that adds up!

Furthermore, if you can't meet a simple calorie goal you shouldn't even be exercising and causing further damage to you body.
1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really) if you want to know how much you should really be eating calculate your BMR and then add calories based on your activity level OR calculate your TDEE which I highly recommend.

It seems most of you want quick and instant results but under eating isnt the way to do it. Permanent and HEALTHY results that you can sustain are going to take time, effort, and certainly a hell of a lot more food.

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    It's true you're supposed to eat exercise calories back if you're set at 1200 calories and you're even supposed to eat back calories from your job if you are remotely mobile on it or even trips to the store.

Taller people, younger people, people with a lot to lose, people with a good amount of muscle mass, and of course active people need more calories.

But me? No. I need around 1200, with a little back from the little bit of exercise I get. Otherwise, I simply wouldn't lose weight. My maintenance is only around 1400 now on any day I don't get my butt out of my chair and at least go for a walk.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to contradict you, but one size does not fit all.
  • veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That was my point so how are you contradicting me? Basically what I am trying to say is that most people should not be eating so little, especially people around my height and weight.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Your post is both condescending and patronizing.

How about you do your own thing and let everyone else do theirs. Whether it's the right way or the wrong way, it's really got nothing to do with you. Everyone on here is a grown up.
  • skinka_och_gurka
    Options
    I think the 1200 is BS. I did it and just lasted 3 days. On the 3rd night I was opening the fridge more frequently than ever :D

I now decided that I dont care how long it will take, I will eat 1800 calories a day and exercise 3-5 times a week. The weight will come off slowly, but it will be worth it. I lost so many years trying to eat like a mouse, now I will live normal and in peace with my mind and body.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Youhazasad.jpg
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    1200 cals on a sedentary day is ample for me and I eat plenty! Diary is open if you want to take a look. However I do eat back some of my exercise calories as well.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    That was my point so how are you contradicting me? Basically what I am trying to say is that most people should not be eating so little, especially people around my height and weight.

Keyword most. Title would have been accurate if it read "1200 cal is NOT enough for most adults"
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well I don't really give a what you think. I happily eat 1200 a day (+ eating back some from exercise), don't feel hungry and have energy for at least 3 runs & 2 bike rides or long walks a week.

Edit: I see you are 5' 8" ,around 130lbs and only 19 yrs old?? Well my stats are very different - I'm 5' 3" and 51 yrs old. When I'm down to my target, I will then increase to a maintenance level.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Funny that, in your OP, you mentioned nothing about your height or your weight.... You generalised for the rest of MFP, that is not acceptable!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In
    tumblr_mty7tohlil1sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to contradict you, but one size does not fit all.

This.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Why not?

Under any circumstance?

Do you have a scientific basis for your belief - research studies and so on? Or is it a religious thing?

Me, sure I much prefer eating more food and am lucky enough that I can lose weight (slowly) on 2750 calories (before cardio, which is always eaten back).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. 1200 calories was my lunch yesterday, not a days worth of intake! I don't want to hear any bull**** excuses like "I'm never hungry" or that you cant find any high calorie foods that are healthy.

My diet is heavily plant based. Even if my foods are not high calorie, I eat frequently and that adds up!

Furthermore, if you can't meet a simple calorie goal you shouldn't even be exercising and causing further damage to you body.
    1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really) if you want to know how much you should really be eating calculate your BMR and then add calories based on your activity level OR calculate your TDEE which I highly recommend.

It seems most of you want quick and instant results but under eating isnt the way to do it. Permanent and HEALTHY results that you can sustain are going to take time, effort, and certainly a hell of a lot more food.

Quoting OP in case she edits it or it gets edited by mods and other posters have no idea what's going on.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 112 pounds. I do quite well on 1270 calories a day. Just because something doesn't work for one person doesn't mean it won't work for another. Speak for yourself, but not for me.

ETA: And this is to lose half a pound a week, so I'm definitely not looking for quick results.
  • whatyouwill
    whatyouwill Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. 1200 calories was my lunch yesterday, not a days worth of intake! I don't want to hear any bull**** excuses like "I'm never hungry" or that you cant find any high calorie foods that are healthy.

The only man who ever reached me, was the son of a preacher man
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do fine on 1200 calories a day. But everyone's different.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You may find it interesting to put some facts in to an online calculator. For a shorter woman in her fifties, 1200 is more than a recommended intake.

Your first post is pretty black-and-white, what do you base it on and what was your motive for posting it?
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    when I read what people on this site eat or don't eat most often my mind screams buIIsh#t!! People make the mistake of listening to other folks, like the OP, about EAT MORE!!! And then they wind up gaining! We know our own bodies, keep your EAT MORE nonsense locked up tight because it's misleading for some.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight after my second baby I was eating 1200 calories and I was fine. I lost weight and I wasn't starving. I did it for a year until I joined MFP and realised I could eat a little more! Although after a year of exercising loads I had perhaps increased my metabolism and could eat more anyway, and I had 2 mobile kids to chase after, not just one, so more calories were being burned!

I'm losing weight after my third baby now, and I eat around 1650 calories a day, but I expect my net calories are below 1200 most days as I burn loads just taking the kids out all the time, not to mention the 5 gym sessions/classes I do a week. I don't need more than I'm eating.

If you're sedentary and just do a desk job, then 1200 calories is plenty for a woman.
This discussion has been closed.