50 Shades - Great, or the Greatest?

Options

Replies

• Janice2Shakira
    Options
    It's just Tickle His Pickle! And it's a great how-to. She's a fantastic sexual how to writer...she also has Ride 'Em Cowgirl, Tickle Your Fancy, and Tickle My Tush.

People need sex how-to books???

Seems that way. These women could be reading Guide to Getting It On, getting just as aroused and actually learning something.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It's just Tickle His Pickle! And it's a great how-to. She's a fantastic sexual how to writer...she also has Ride 'Em Cowgirl, Tickle Your Fancy, and Tickle My Tush.

Yes. Some people truly do. Unfortunately, I think most of them bought 50 Shades instead.

Fox in sox:

"Do you wish to screw sir too sir?
    If you choose a new blue screw sir,
    Fifty shades of grey won't do sir,
    Fifty shades is much to lame sir."

"What a shame sir what a shame sir."

Sir should be capitalized. :flowerforyou:
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options

Yes. Some people truly do. Unfortunately, I think most of them bought 50 Shades instead.

Fox in sox:

"Do you wish to screw sir too sir?
    If you choose a new blue screw sir,
    Fifty shades of grey won't do sir,
    Fifty shades is much to lame sir."

"What a shame sir what a shame sir."

Sir should be capitalized. :flowerforyou:

:tongue:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    In. And... there was more than one book? Huzzah!!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of ignorance regarding the books and now the coming movie, but this thread takes the cake. Holy crap, does it ever take the cake.

I KNOW! I can't believe half of the things people are writing here. I doubt half of them even ever read the series. Just a bunch of armchair critics for the new york times armchair review, writing armchair reviews for armchairs they haven't even sat in.

Sorry, but I did read the books. Painfully. Suffered through every page.

The sweet suffering kind? Like they teach us in the books?

jesus christ

Yes, I hear he was into it too

I. DIED. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now on a serious note, I will not be reading these books, however this thread has given me a strong urge to go back and reread some Austin and Bronte so thanks for that! :drinker:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    r u for real? btw the trailer looks like a higher budget skinemax movie.

16lhbau.gif

Awesome.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    r u for real? btw the trailer looks like a higher budget skinemax movie.

Please note I haven't seen the film. If it's half as thorough as the texts, it will likely become a classic; perhaps studied in college courses devoted to the subject matter.

Sarcasm at its finest, ladies and gentlemen!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Oh good lord. I've read the books but I don't see why the big interest in the film.

I think the people shocked by these books and the content are mainstream men and women who've only known vanilla sex their whole lives. Oh, and people who think they are horribly written books. Kudos to 50 shades marketing people.

Now it's the "cool thing" to have read this book. LOL.

I, for one, am glad this book became popular. Now women have been exposed to what sex could be like if they weren't so sheltered. Nothing more frustrating than talking to a bunch of prudes.

As far as calling this abuse? Some men and women like being submissive. It's called a fetish for a reason.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I have never felt the need to read the books, though I am a reader, and I will probably not watch the movies. I guess real life is just more appealing to me.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I made it through a chapter and a half trying to slog through that pathetic excuse for literature. 4th-grade-level writing skill that the author attempted to hide behind hypersexualized plot lines. The fact that so many people buy this crap and proclaim it to be great says quite a bit (none of it positive) about the diminished mentality of the general public.
  • jennymused
    Options
    Just finished narrating "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy said to be an inspiration for 50 shades of Grey. I was interested in your comment about it being used in Feminist courses. I agree with that----would be an interesting study to compare the two books .
    If you are interested .Please check "Tess" out on Audible.com at the following link
    http://ow.ly/zOHlb
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I found the books horribly written and stupid, as well as promoting an abusive relationship.

I have no intention of seeing the film.

Agree with this!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Oh good lord. I've read the books but I don't see why the big interest in the film.

I think the people shocked by these books and the content are mainstream men and women who've only known vanilla sex their whole lives. Oh, and people who think they are horribly written books. Kudos to 50 shades marketing people.

Now it's the "cool thing" to have read this book. LOL.

I, for one, am glad this book became popular. Now women have been exposed to what sex could be like if they weren't so sheltered. Nothing more frustrating than talking to a bunch of prudes.

As far as calling this abuse? Some men and women like being submissive. It's called a fetish for a reason.

It was mostly vanilla sex between a whiny male protagonist and a confused female protagonist, with some ultra control issues thrown in for fun regarding her weight and a stupid contract. Nothing mentioned in that contract was actually performed at any time in any of the 3 books, and the writer spent pages and pages mired in the legalese of it. Why? Oh, there was the occasional mild kink in a room that looked freaky. I mean LOOK at what really made her use her safe word. Really? People safe word for that?

If this is what "sex could be like," then the only thing I can say is "no thanks, I have an imagination."
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Pretty tame from a kink/ fet angle and pretty lame as far as literary skill. Great marketing strategies though.
  • WisteriaLady
    WisteriaLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I read all books, I describe it as a steamier version of mills and boons. There are many more better written books in the same genre. I liked the crashed trilogy by K Bromberg. I think alot of people read the book as it was the thing to do, the film will be the same.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Never got past the first couple chapters of the book because it was so horribly written. In this case, and this case only, the movie might turn out better than the book. In any case, it will probably be a horrible movie.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I found the books horribly written and stupid, as well as promoting an abusive relationship.

THIS!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

THIS!

There seems to be a good number of people quoting this and I have to ask, do you think movies such as the "Saw" series promote kidnapping, violence, and torture? Do violent video games promote violence?
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

THIS!

There seems to be a good number of people quoting this and I have to ask, do you think movies such as the "Saw" series promote kidnapping, violence, and torture? Do violent video games promote violence?

Yes....yes they do and the Sons of Anarchy and Sopranos promote "family" :wink:
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I read most of the book and couldn't get through it because it was so terribly written and Twilight-cliche.
    To me, the book was not BDSM, nor did it say anything about women's issues or gender...It was simply an abusive relationship written to include some raunchy sex.
    And I doubt the film will be any better than the book. The only reason it is as popular as it is, is because it's more blatantly raunchy than most books and films most upper-middle class white women have seen published.