WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Gilad's Step and Tone workout. Boy, did I work up a sweat! Tomorrow's plan is to do Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD.

I'm finding that I don't care for Jillian Michael's DVD's. I probably won't get any more of hers. I really don't find someone yelling in my ear "higher, faster," etc. to be motivating. Lately, it seems that her DVD's show the person who's playing the music's equipment. I don't care to see that -- I want to see the exercises. Also, the people she has doing the exercises are all so young. I'm not 20 or 30 anymore. So I have to wonder if the things she's doing is OK for an "older" person. Well, everyone to their own. I tend to like Gilad, Jari Love, and a few others

Anne - congrats on getting that faucet fixed! You go girl! Awesome. The only advantage I can see to being a woman in a Home Depot or Lowes type of store is that you are more likely to get waited on quickly. A friend made a sorbet, I think it was a lime sorbet, but to me there was so much sugar in it that I almost couldn't eat it. She also made a raspberry sorbet, now I'm not sure if there was as much sugar in it or not. There was also balsamic vinegar (which may have cut down on the amount of sweetness you taste) along with black pepper in it. Tasted good, but was interesting. I much prefer to make things from scratch. That way I can adjust the amount of sugar or whatever in the recipe. That Indian ice cream sounds good

barbie - I've gotten some great tips on books on this site, too. Also, some very good ideas. Thanks for all you do

Patty - I did find the course, and twice I've created an account, tried to log in, and been told that my email and password do not match. Right now I'm waiting for an email from the company to hopefully reset my password. I'd really like to take the Health and Nutrition class. When you take the Learning How to Learn class, do they send you an email reminding you to log in for the class? Good plan on taking your salad when you get your friend's food.

Tere - so sorry to hear about the dog fight. That's very nice of you not to sue. So many people are so sue happy these days, they sue over practically nothing at all.

Heather - glad I'm full from the red delicious apple before I read your post about the torte. I'd be salivating if I weren't so full...not that I'm not salivating as it is

discoqueen - welcome! What part of NJ are you in? I was raised in northern NJ

Just made the fruit compote for tonight. It looked like there were too many apples in it, so I HAD to eat one of them. Life's a crime, isn't it?

Carol in NC - good thoughts being sent your way. Hope everything works out well.

jane - keeping good thoughts for you

daisy - welcome

Pam - that's something that that guy will get that bonus from Home Depot. Good for them!

Sylvia - good for you driving past that nasty old BR. My cousin also decorates cakes for BR.

Michele in NC
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    After my daily bike ride I spent the whole afternoon at the movie theater and actually saw three movies in a row. I have never done that before . But there were three movies I wanted to see and they happened to be all one after the other at the same multiplex.

For those who are interested I saw

The hundred Foot Journey with Helen Mirren.
    This was my first choice and turned out to the best. It is a delicious little comedy about an Indian family settling in a French village and opening a restaurant across the street from a French restaurant with one Michelin star. The owner of the French restaurant is played by Helen Mirren and the father of the Indian family is played by Om Puri. These two senior actors really carry the movie and are first feuding with each other than end up liking each other. Of course it is all about food and I could not decide if I wanted to eat in the French or the Indian restaurant, as I love both cuisines very much. But I got quite homesick for some of the French food I grew up with.

The second movie I saw was

A Most Wanted Man with Philip Seymour Hoffman who played a German spy in a John Le Carre story.
    I liked the movie because it was very realistic and lacked all kind of gun fire or explosions or car chases . But it seemed a little bit long.

After the two movies I was really ready to go home but ran into an acquaintance who was headed for movie no. 3

And So It Goes

And so I went with her. Well, I was certainly the target audience for this movie with the main actors Diane Keaton and Michael Douglas my age. But I really did not enjoy this movie. It is a story about a grumpy, old, mean , racist real estate agent who in the course of the movie turns into a kind and loving and caring person. The story was completely unbelievable and the attempts on humor were embarrassing and forced. Like Michael Douglas helping to deliver a black baby, or yelling at a little boy for being naked or shooting a dog with a paint gun.

Any woman who would fall in love with this guy must be brain amputated or desperate or after his money. So Diane Keaton in this role did not look so good.

While in the first movie the relationship which developed in-between two people in their sixties was believable , in the third movie it was not.

I have to catch up on everybody's posts and will reply to them later.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    So hubby got a call about the 1st townhse we were interested.Not we have 3 possibilities.
    Something should pan out.
    Keep you posted-Jane finds a home will be conitnued.
    HUGS
    jane

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you find a nice place to settle in and call home.:flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Anne (did I remember correctly?) - thanks so much for your reviews of the movies. Makes it so much easier to decide if I want to see the movie or not

Well, since I can't figure out how to post a pic on this thread, I put the pics of the pool on my page. You can see them by clicking on my avatar. It looks like for some reason one of the photos got posted twice. Does anyone know how I can delete that one?

Michele in NC
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I made it! The enemy (perfection) wilted before the good. Thanks Heather and Katia (and pretty much all of you on MFP) for the good advice. This is a hard one to learn but I love having a quote to focus on, DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.

My friend and I ended up sitting with all the young families on the orchard side of the winery. That means we couldn't see the band, although we could hear the music. It was great for the kidlings, as they could run up and down, and turn somersaults and cartwheels along, the grassy, terraced paths between rows of trees. However, I missed being part of the music and up close to the dancing. I told my friend that, next time, we'd round up a couple more folks our age and sit on the band-side of the winery.

I ate mostly veggies and fruit with a slice of gluten-free pizza, 5 or 6 olives, and a couple of small squares of mozzarella. I'm good on calories but would like to have a little more protein in the mix.

Barbie, you made me smile when you mentioned usually heading for bed around 7 pm. I'd hate to admit what time I usually get to bed. I'm more of a night owl than anything else.

Jane, I have fingers and toes crossed for a townhouse.

Mimi
    :heart:
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Tere

I also thought that you were very gracious with your neighbors about the dog. I was bitten a few months ago by a neighbor's dog. Not a neighbor I knew though. I was riding my bike and two big poodles who were off the leash ran into my bike so I had to stop. I like dogs and did not want to hurt them by running over them. But one of them bit me in the thigh. The lady owner of the dogs was standing on the sidewalk on the other side of the street doing nothing. I yelled that the dog had bitten me and she responded that her dogs did not bite. I yelled back that I am bleeding and she should put her dogs on a leash. She finally came over and controlled her dogs but insisted that her dogs did not bite. Her argument was that she had grandchildren and she would not have dogs who bite. And that my wound was from the bike. I asked her for her name and she would not give it to me. I nearly hit her I was so angry. She finally realized that she might have to do something and offered to get something to clean my wound, the blood was running down my leg.. So I saw which house she was living in. When she came back the cotton she wanted to clean my wound with looked so dirty that I passed. I drove home and called animal control and gave them the address. It turned out that the dogs had been reported twice before for biting. They took the dogs from her for two weeks. I did not sue her, because I think there is too much suing going on in this country, but I hope she learned her lesson.

Unfortunately now I am really afraid of dogs when I am on my bike and I force all owners to put their dogs on a leash and am extremely careful around dogs even if they are on a leash.

Carol in NC

I am convinced that much of the problem we are dealing with has to do with hormones. And I am trying to find out what causes it. I already buy only eggs and chicken which have not been fed with extra hormones, but I suspect that the problem may be also in the dairy products. It may also be that we are reacting to the genetically modified food we are eating now.
    I found out that I feel best when I am at a very low weight, i.e. my lowest ideal weight which is somewhere in=between 110 and 115 pounds. Only to maintain this weight I can practically eat nothing and have to go on my endless bike rides every day. The moment I start slacking I pile on the pounds.
    I am physically more active in my old age than I ever was before and I am eliminating more and more food in order to find the culprit. I do not know how long I can keep that up.

Michele

I never use much sugar or I use honey to make ice cream or sorbets..

When you use very ripe lemons you do not need so much sugar. But you have to use sugar not any of the artificial sweeteners they are poison.

Ingredienti: Per 8 persone
    2 lb lemons
    2 cups water
    ½ lb sugar (too much in my opinion)
    2 egg whites, (optional)
    Preparazione:
    Prepare a simple syrup with the water, sugar and thinly-sliced lemon peel. Boil for 5-6 minutes, then cool completely. Filter the syrup and add the filtered juice from the lemons.
    If you have a ice cream maker, add the sorbet base to the machine and run the machine until the sorbet has reached your desired consistency.
    Otherwise, put the mixture into a bowl and place in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then remove and use a whisk to break apart the ice crystals. Return to the freezer for 10 minutes and repeat, taking care to stir the sorbet from time to time to avoid ice crystals forming.
    If you want a fluffier sorbet, you can add two egg whites, whipped to form stiff peaks, when the mixture begins to solidify. Fold in the egg whites carefully using the whisk from the bottom up.

It is the most refreshing thing .

Anne in the Mojave desert
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies, or should I say good morning. I also am a night owl. I have at least another hour before my bedtime!!!

Tere, sorry about your bite. I hope you asked about the dogs shots. I agree about the amount of law suits. Crazy.

Carol, hugs to you:flowerforyou: :heart:

DeeDee, congrats on getting the house done. Glad you are having a final cleaning and it will be all normal again, Enjoy

Syvia, that joke was so funny it was awful Or is it that it was so awful that it is so funny?? We also have a Baskin Robbins in town but it is shadowed by a local store called Lics that is far better. They make a Lics chip that is so, so good. It is either two large chocolate cookies that sandwich your choice of a nice good size scoop of any flavor of ice cream. Or you can have macedamion nut cookies instead. It is all frozen. My favorite flavor their is the vanilla! But it's not just plain vanilla, it's vanilla bean and it is so much bettter. They also have the most deliscious turtle sundae

Jane, 3 possible houses now!!! Hope you get one soon. You deserve it.

Nothing much happening here with me. I was going to go to a ball game with my daughter tomorrow night. Her company has a picnic night. I think this team is in the frontier league. But we have a lot of rain forecast for tomorrow and the night was cancelled and it will be in a couple of weeks. My oldest daughter has been on a diet for several months. It has really cleaned up thier eating. They ate at so many fast food places it was terrible. Now all of them are learning to cook. Tonight they made zucchini bread. Anyway she has finally reached her first milestone of 30 pounds. I'm sure she has about 75 more to go. But she hasn't bought any more clothes and they look awful on her. She gets most of her clothes at the local Goodwill so I know she can afford it. I sure wish I hadn't given away all my clothes that were size 22 and 20. It won't be long before she might be able to fit in an 18 but she carries an awful lot in her belly.

Joyce, Indiana
  • ArleneMatches
    ArleneMatches Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone: I'm Arlene and I live in South Surrey, British Columbia. I am 74 and have been fighting a weight battle since I had my first baby in 1961. Quitting smoking, having a hysterectomy and just becoming more sedentary all helped put me in this position. I joined Weight Watchers 2 years ago and am enjoying the weekly meetings and even enjoy keeping the eating and exercise records.:laugh:

This is my first look at this group and I am pleased by the support you all have for one another. You all are very motivating and I am pleased to become a part of this caring group.
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hello gorgeous girls & welcome to new friends.

We’ve had rain most of the night so the slugs & snails are out in force. I hope my veggie garden (allotment) isn’t attacked too much.

DH continues to improve after his heart attack although he is disappointed he can’t drive for another 3 weeks. I’ve told it is as much for the safety of others as himself. He has had a couple of things to do in town so I’ve dropped him off & he has ambled around doing what he had to, stopped for coffee before riding the bus home. Part of his normal job is to make sure bus companies are doing things right like running on time, polite & safe drivers etc. He was absolutely furious on Thursday as the driver was rude to him & other passengers, ran a red light & crossed a mini-roundabout on the wrong side of the road! They are up for a visit from him when he gets back to work.

Congratulations to my friends who have lost or maintained weight. If you haven’t, don’t give up. We all have weeks were we don’t do as well as we want. My week certainly didn’t go as I planned although DH is finally helping my healthy eating as he is now more mindful of portion sizes & eating veggies rather than push them round his plate. Haven’t weighed myself this week yet.

Lesley - it is sad that your DGD has left such problems in her wake. It isn’t what I imagine grandparenthood should be. I do hope she comes to realise she can’t keep behaving like that. Decluttering can be theraputic!

Barbie - you rock! 35k steps is amazing!

Carol - you did right. Little ones need a voice on their behalf. 20k steps - fantastic! Big hugs to you & your friend.

Margaret - well done on maintaining. That certainly sounds a very interesting class. I do think so many people now just do not know how to cook from scratch using healthy ingredients. It doesn’t seem to be taught in schools anymore.

Michele - no more river rock - woohoo!! The photos look fabulous. All that hard work was so worth it. I hope Vince is ok after his colonoscopy.

Sylvia - poor little DGD being manipulated by her Mom. Loving the jokes & what a sweet DH. Clafoutis - divine with cherries.

Rita - interesting quotes on moderation. Thanks for sharing.

Heather - it is a shame that so many people equate having a good time with copious alcohol. Neither of us drink a great deal & never ever if driving. It just makes me go beetroot red & fall asleep so I usually don’t bother. Another GBBO fan! Do you find yourself shouting at the TV too?

Jane - everything crossed that your housing is sorted very soon.

Tere - very scary with the dogs. Hope you’re ok.

Best get on with my chores. Have a wonderful weekend ladies.

Geri in England
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've just found this thread and I'm really thankful i did because it's just so full of positive thoughts and vibes.Hi to everyone, I'm Helen and I'm 55, married to the love of my life John and living near the North East Coast of England about 8 miles from our biggest city Newcastle Upon Tyne.
    I have 2 cats, Misty, a grey tabby and a real princess, and Greedy Benny, a bit of a wuss whose scared of his own shadow but much loved despite this.
    I've battled with my weight I think since I was a teenager and topped the scales at my heaviest towards the end of last year. I had to have surgery on my back to fuse a couple of discs so decided to loose the weight once that was done so here I am.
    I go to the gym 4 times a week where I do my circut with weights and 45 mins on the treadmill, I enjoy my exercise. I make jewellery from seed beads in my spare time (off loom) and that's me in a nitshell.
    It's great to meet everyone on here and if it's O.K. with you I'll check in again every day.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!:flowerforyou: Rain here too. Hope the slugs haven't munched everything. The beer traps are out and have beer in them so I hope there isn't too much damage. Most things love the rain, but not the geraniums who slways look very put out.:laugh:

DH off to the first football (soccer) match of the season. It is at Watford in North London so at least 1 hr 45 mins each way. He gets home around 7pm. I am going to cook something we haven't had since I started my diet over two years ago, a Spanish dish with chorizo and lentils. Absolutely delicious, but I was being so careful with the calories I didn't dare eat it. I think I can get it in for 450 calories a portion. I exercised 552 calories this morning.
    The scale was showing a shade under 140 this morning so I am hopeful I will get that lb off this month. It's only a vanity pound, but it would be nice.:blushing:

Carol - it's difficult to know how to help you if we don't know your BMI and your exercise regime. If you are putting on weight then you are eating too much, even if you think you aren't. But it may be that you look fine, you certainly looked lovely in the photo you posted of you and your son.:flowerforyou: Too skinny at an older age is not a good look.
    I have to eat 1200 plus my exercise calories to stay the same or lose infinitesimally slowly. I think that is because I am miscalculating somewhere. My exercise count on my rowing machine is too high, say by 50 cals. My DH probably puts a bit too much muesli in my breakfast bowl, say 50 cals. Our nightly pastis is probably bigger than 70 mls, say 50 cals. My nightly piece of cheese is sometimes bigger than the 120 cals I log. Say 30 cals. You can see how 180 cals a day has crept up on me without me noticing. For me it doesn't matter, which is why I have set it at 1200 to allow for mis counting. But if you are serious about weight loss and you are very near target then rigour is important.
    Also your exercise regime is vital. Strength training preserves muscle mass so you lose fat, not muscle. Also the lady who has the arthtitic foot. You can do lots of strength training sitting down. When I was younger I weighed less than I do now, but my shape and muscle definition is much better now. I have 64 year old skin, but my outline is near enough athletic and I am very happy. That is strength training. :bigsmile: , including dumbbell weights.
    Having said all this I do think that you should not expect too much of yourself while you have so many stresses. You look absolutely fine, beautiful. :flowerforyou: Anything else is just a bonus.:flowerforyou:
    I liked quote about input versus output. Very good.:flowerforyou:

Might make some zucchini tots today for part of the starter for the bbq. Yes, Juanita, I do have a magic freezer, but you have to put stuff into it!:laugh:
    Michele - DH and I "tested" one of the mini truffles. We shared it and I docked myself 100 cals. Heaven!:bigsmile: We ate it frozen.:laugh:
    I overdid the blue cheese also, but was still on target. I lost a few ounces this morning. :bigsmile: :drinker:
    You and Katla and some others seem to have got a handle on this maintaining business. Constant vigilance.:laugh: I sometimes sing that old Fred Astaire song, "Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again. " :laugh: :bigsmile:

Keeping healthy is the main thing. Enjoying life is important. I am lucky that I love good food so I never feel deprived. Or dissatified. Barbie counts her blessings every day. Most days I remember to do that.

Lots of love, Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Heather,thank you for your insightful post.Thank you very much.
    It has taken me many moons to get to the point of eating too much at a meal without using it as an excuse to say" what's the use?"& just go off on another eating spree.Looking back it"s easy to see every diet was just an excuse to give myself permission to eat what I wanted.
    Better late than never,it finally makes sense .Don't Let The Perfect Be The Enemy Of The Good.....How true that is.Sent your post around to several ppl & saved it.For me,it will be read often.
    Mimi - I think you need a bit of the motto from The Happiness Project. Barbie and I both find it very helpful. I have made it my goal and motto for the year. It has changed my life more than anything.

DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.

The saying comes from Voltaire who got it from someone else.

Life doesn't have to be black or white. Most of us just muddle along doing the best we can. One meal, one mouthful, one day is not going to make any difference in the long run. It is the general direction that counts, over the long term.
    Yesterdsy I went way over my calories for lunch. I then ate too much cheese for my snack. A few years ago that would have destryed me and I would have spent the rest of the day pigging out. Yesterday I managed to come in 1 calorie under. Even if I hadn't it wouldn't have been the end of the world.
    Too high an expectation of yourself leads to shame and self reproach and then to giving up. Self compassion and laughing at oneself leads to resilience and giving it another go. No one is perfect and there is nothing wrong with enjoying yourself at a party. Especially if you kept the overall calories down. I would count that as a huge NSV! Congratulations!
    You are doing so well and it is so great to have a forum like this where you can put it out there. Yesterday I only managed becsuse I confessed on here in time and that helped me pull myself together. We need each other.
    My very best wishes to you. Be kind to yourself.

Lots of love Heather UK
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just found this page. I've nothing to add just yet ladies but like the sound of you! So...

Bump!:flowerforyou:
  • HSDramamom
    HSDramamom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    K in NEGA,

The line at the top of my post about satisfaction came from Gloria in Metro Detroit--so thanks to Gloria for encouraging me!

Let's stay this course! It will definitely be for the better!
  • HSDramamom
    Options
    Canadjiney,

Thanks for the clarification on the person who made that statement.

Christina
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It’s Saturday! My goal for the day is to finally make it to the water aerobics class at the gym finally! I went a couple of times a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I am feeling anxious because I won’t know the routines and will feel like I’m making a fool of myself and won’t be able to keep up.:embarassed: I’m telling you this because I need to face the fear and get over it! So I’m telling myself “Nothing beats a failure but a try”.

Katla: Thank goodness I didn’t get bit. Storm was the recipient of the bite. So I just have a nasty looking bruise from my knee almost to my ankle.:ohwell:

Carol: Great Vibes for you!:flowerforyou: Sorry to hear about your experience with the poodles. I owned standard poodles for years. In the past I’ve had a pit bull dog, a mutt, and now a Doberman. I loved the poodles the most. They were the most intelligent but also the most aggressive of them all. I would not let people pet them much less let them run off leash. I think they are so beautiful that people believe they are poof-poof dogs even their owners. I always understood they are hunting dogs and the reasons behind the beautiful cuts.

DeeDee: I have enjoyed your house journey. Hopefully I’ll be doing the same thing next Fall.

K: Glad things went well for you.

GrandMallie: Wish I could chop mine (belly jelly roll) off too! :laugh:

Strassenkoeni: Thanks for the movie reviews! I wanted to see And So It Goes but won’t waste my time or money!

Heather: Just wanted to let you know that I satisfy my chocolate cravings vicariously through your postings! :blushing:

Tere in Richmond VA
  • HSDramamom
    Options
    Carol in NC,

Here's a really informative, helpful thread I found about BMR/TDEE. I just followed the directions given and got what I hope will be beneficial information!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

BTW, where in NC are you? I'm in Jamestown.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Friends,

Welcome newcomers :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou::flowerforyou:

Anne thanks for the movie reviews. I love Indian food. My mom was born in India to missionary parents in 1918. That is what got me to try it . Now going to an Indian restaurant is my first choice.

Anne I wanted to tell you again how stunning your garden is. You are truly an artist.

Jane may you be settled soon. Know this is not an easy time for you.

Heather I agree it OK not to think you have to skinny minni when you are older. I also agree doing so kind of strength exercise be it weights, gardening, or heavy duty cleaning around the home is important. Having a strength especially in your core helps with posture and balance. Both posture and balance make a tremendous difference as we age.

I see the difference in my parents. My dad kept himself moving until the end. He would exercise in bed and walk their driveway as other exercise got more difficult. I see him standing straight and tall until the end. My mom on the other hand chooses to sit unless pushed. Now she is feeble as a result.

Today I will log my food and exercise to help me maintain my weight.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've just done a quick scan through the last several pages of this endearing encyclopedia - whoa, lots of ladies with lots of things going on! Newcomers and oldtimers alike, I'm so pleased to see such fantastic action on the thread. I was thinking about going to the library to get a new book to read, but now there's no need. These pages will keep me busy for quite some time. :wink:

I'd like to write more often but there's just no time right now. Gardening, harvesting, processing!! And my mom is coming to visit in a few days, so I have lots of things to do in preparation.

The summer pounds that visit me annually didn't have any trouble finding me once again this year. :huh: I thought I'd be better at dodging them by now, but I'm still arguing with them at my doorstep. I beg them to leave, but they just won't budge. :laugh:

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

:smile: jb in Portland (profile pic is my niece's new puppy!)
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump busy weekend