naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I know I should know better than to continue with this but I’m on a break from work and I have time on my hands, so….
    Wrong and as an educated man you should know better than to use straw men.

Although irrelevant to the discussion, I’m a woman. I don’t believe I used straw man. You told a poster that his dr was an idiot for saying that genetics can play a role in weight maintenance or something similar. I told you that you were incorrect and that genetics most certainly can play a role for some people. I provided a few classic ‘textbook’ examples, you discounted them and so it went on.

How was it straw man?
    My claim is that GUYTON'S is a superior source for the needs of the VAST MAJORITY of overweight people who use this board as a source of information as a way to lose weight.

Guytons focuses on one discipline, physiology. Physiology alone does not fully explain human health, including weight management. Guytons may be a start and one perspective, but it is by no means the only one.
    My background should have nothing to do with it. I can make up credentials in order try to impress someone. People do it on the internet every day.

You could have made yours up in an attempt to impress me and those on the board.
    Yes, my absolute frustration with your inability to accept anything beyond your limited “Guytons” blurb led me to say more about my education and professional role than I would have preferred. My point was to explain from first hand experience that health professionals are educated in a range of areas including, but by no means limited to, physiology.

Nevertheless, correct, I could have made it up, although not for the intention of trying to impress. There are plenty of smart/educated people on MFP who impress me without any prior knowledge of 'their credentials".
    But you CAN'T make up what is in Guyton and Hall.

Show me it in Guyton's and I will believe it.

So basically you are saying that knowledge from any other discipline that is not in Guytons is under question.

How can you expect to gain any credibility when you talk this way?
    The perception of hunger and satiety are complex, but it is obvious (in Guyton's) that the stomach and the level of blood nutrients play a significant role.

Yes, extremely complex. For example, the serotonin and dopamine systems are involved, which have receptors in various brain regions including the reward pathway. Individual (dare I say genetic?) differences in certain receptors are seen in some people with disordered eating. This is just one example to illustrate the complexity and the impact of individual variability.
    But it is JUST as obvious that some people can deal with "hunger" and not immediately rush off to eat, or suffer an anxiety reaction when they can't.

Yes, but is this learned behaviour, or is it influenced by individual variability…something biological?
    And it is just as obvious in the normal healthy person that they have enough calories on board to last for days. "Hunger" does NOT mean that the body needs more calories.

People can adapt over time to almost any condition, and hunger is one of them. "Naturally" thin people have.

Why should people have to experience hunger to lose/maintain weight? Some people find hunger almost intolerable.

How do you know that “Naturally” thin people experience hunger like someone who is overweight? Perhaps there is something in their biology (ie. not learned) that causes them to have a blunted hunger response.
    Once you review Guyton's, read Dr. Hagan's "Breakfast is the least important meal of the day." Absolutely spot on, and the only way to lose weight and keep it off. And it is FREE.

Learned behavior.

I don’t feel the need to review Guytons. I have a pretty good handle on physiology from other well known bench-marked physiology textbooks I studied during my undergrad years. I also studied other areas to give me a hopefully well-rounded perspective on human health. I am not trying to impress, just responding to your suggestion that I review Guytons.

I have never heard of Hagan’s book and I’m already cynical about it from the title alone. Many people maintain a healthy weight or lose weight consuming breakfast every day. Some people would find giving up breakfast extremely difficult to adhere to for any length of time, resulting in a weight loss plan that is not sustainable.

I do not believe in a one-size fits all approach, as you do. I believe that everyone is an individual and needs to find his or her own way to manage energy balance.

You even acknowledge individual variation with regards to hunger response. You argue that it is learned, I argue that in some people it is due to individual biology that is not learned.

This illustrates the problem.

I harp on Guyton's because whatever your approach to weight loss is, the physiology should be consistent with Guyton's, which is the bible of physiology.

Your body follows the principles in Guyton's whether you believe in what Guyton's says or not.

Guyton's represents the combined results of generations of thousands dedicated professional people who sought to solve the same problems you are facing about the human body and how it works, carefully evaluating and testing theories and finding out which ones work and which ones don't.

The ones that WORK and have been proven are in Guyton's.

So everyone should START with Guyton's.

Or else you might be replicating mistakes that people have made before you.

Certainly, if you have been on a weight loss program and it is not working, or you are not satisfied with it, then you should stop and reassess things.

If it is working, fine. But is it something you can keep up your entire life?

If you haven't looked closely at how the human body works, or have been getting your information scattershot on the internet or the Dr. Oz show, then you owe it to yourself to check out Guyton's.

Guyton's is a medical textbook, but written in as understandable fashion as it can be, and takes time to examine modern topics of interest.

It should be in your library.

Parts are free online.

As far as hunger goes, people don't realize that the brain changes when the stimuli it is exposed to changes. Neural circuitry re-wires. That's how we learn. That's how we get used to things.

There is a huge psych overlay to the sensation of hunger.

Talk to any "naturally" thin person you know and ask he or she about how they deal with hunger and an empty stomach. I will almost guarantee that they will all say that they are not driven by hunger, and that if they miss a meal it is no big deal.

And their genetics and metabolic setup is just like everyone else.
    Are you responding to me Steveo? You did quote my post but now I have no idea because you didn't actually reply to anything I questioned, instead, you just provided another Guytons advertisement.

I can't do this anymore. It's as if I'm trying to reason with an automated response system. Perhaps I am.

I give up.

:yawn:
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think very few people have naturally 'fast' metabolisms as an adult.

From my observation of skinny people(not muscular), they usually get full fast after eating small meals and binge less.

Even the ones that like snacks probably don't eat entire huge bags of chips and if they do, they usually stay 'full' and skip lunch, dinner, etc.

Also, people eat giant meals at dinner and don't eat breakfast/lunch the next day(or eat very few calories). This may look like they have high metabolisms because their dinner meal's around 2500kcal or 3kcal.

Is it healthy? no. Are these 'skinny' people muscular or fit? most of the time, no.
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It occured to me a while ago that there are a few people in my life who consider me a "naturally thin" person who "can eat" anything and all day long and not gain a gram.

~ My obese coworker sees me grazing all day long at the office. Some days it's an apple, carrot sticks and nuts, other days it's chocolate and/or crackers. What she doesn't know is that I don't eat a huge three-course high-fat meal for dinner on top of all that – like she clearly does. She herself eats nothing all day in the office, therefore she has to aggressively wage war on her pantry each night or she wouldn't be as obese as she is. Now if you assume that I do the same…

~ My obese sister and my godfather only see me a few times a year at family gatherings – where I indulge boundlessly. They saw me pack a whole baguette with oily dips on Christmas Eve, and that was just the side dish. They asked how I remained so slim. Umm, by not eating like this every day in spite of my active lifestyle??

~ A guy I've known for a few months (who is really skinny himself) recently looked at me when we had dinner at a restaurant after a shopping trip during which I bought about ten pounds of chocolate and candy (not exaggerating) and remarked that apparently my body is very bad at metabolising food. lol, no! That huge meal was an absolute exception, but he doesn't know that, because we've only met in person a handful of times. And also I hadn't eaten more than an apple and a banana all day prior to that (vegan!) dinner, and about eight of those ten pounds of sweets are still uneaten now, ten days and one Christmas later. I don't metabolise my food badly: I don't eat it in the first place. But he wouldn't know that, because every time we've met we had a huge dinner or kept snacking all day, and he assumes I'm always like that.

Seeing myself from their perspective almost gives me vertigo, because, in my usual contradictory fashion, I am simultaneously satisfied with my pretty active lifestyle (the real reason why I don't weigh 500 lbs) and appalled by what I consider to be atrocious habits and fat thighs. In no way do I think of myself as remarkably thin or a metabolistic miracle. You see? Other peoples' views are distorted by ignorance, my own is distorted because I might be overly self-critical. And what is the truth?

Just your gratuitous ten cents from somebody who sometimes gets mistaken for a naturally thin person. :wink:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I can't do this anymore. It's as if I'm trying to reason with an automated response system.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Excellent description of 'Talking to Steve'.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Thin people are not fit? Wrong. my blood pressure is 90/60. Nothing but some broken bones, bad car accident.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    In removing calories in vs calories out from the picture, I think it's clear that there are people who have a genetic tendency to be thin. These people are called ectomorphs, and a lot of that has to do with bone structure. You won't see too many people who have large bones but are very thin. A lot of thin people may be eating around maintenance calories, but their weight is below the typical weight for someone else of their height. Several people have already posted anecdotal accounts of this, and I can speak from personal experience. To gain weight up to the average weight, they would have to greatly exceed their TDEE, whereas someone else may already be at that weight eating at maintenance.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    In removing calories in vs calories out from the picture, I think it's clear that there are people who have a genetic tendency to be thin. These people are called ectomorphs, and a lot of that has to do with bone structure. You won't see too many people who have large bones but are very thin. A lot of thin people may be eating around maintenance calories, but their weight is below the typical weight for someone else of their height. Several people have already posted anecdotal accounts of this, and I can speak from personal experience. To gain weight up to the average weight, they would have to greatly exceed their TDEE, whereas someone else may already be at that weight eating at maintenance.

So wrong.

Show me a study that supports this.

Better still, download a copy of Guyton's Textbook of Medicine and show me where that is.
    Maybe we have different definitions of "thin". By thin, I don't necessarily mean people who are at a normal weight, but rather those who tend to be skinny/scrawny. I am currently 25-35 pounds below the normal weight for a guy my height, and my weight has remained steady for years. I don't have any known medical issues causing my low weight. Let me ask you this: Why is this the case? Considering that I'm consistently eating around maintenance calories, why I am not at least 25 pounds heavier? I would literally have to stuff myself all day (or do extensive weight training) to suddenly push my weight up that far. In other words, it's simply not 'natural' for me to be at the ideal/average weight for my height.

There may not be any scientific studies that prove that genetics has a role in these cases, but it's not like scientists who everything there is to know. What other explanation can there be that explains how this tends to run in families? As some people have pointed out in this thread, it's not that all thin people have good food habits.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My girlfriends family always shocked me. Her, and all of her brothers and sisters seemed to eat so much, but stayed skinny. Then, I noticed that all of them were ALWAYS moving, always being active. Hiking, gardening, biking, and making up for all of the calories they ate. My girlfriend will eat a ton in a meal, and I'll be like "where do you put it", Well, the next day she'll go canoeing, and only eat like 500 calories in the day. She swears she has a high metabolism, but it's only high because of her activity level. However, I am 6 feet tall, and 135 pounds.... And I am by no means naturally skinny. I am always moving, and eat about 2,500 calories in one day, but naturally, I'll eat significantly less the next day. It's just how my body works. THERE IS NO THING AS NATURALLY SKINNY. SORRY. YOUR SKINNY BECAUSE YOU EAT LESS, EXERCISE MORE. ITS SCIENCE, NOT MAGIC.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have a girlfriend like that. I've known her since school and she's always been so skinny and ate soo much. She's about 5.7 and about 100 pounds. We used to make fun of her at school, she had breakfast at home, breakfast at school, another breakfast at school, some chocolate bars, another sandwich just to get to lunch. Than she had lunch, usually 2 portions, a desert, and another Snickers chocolate bar. Then she would run home to eat because she was hungry, and we would meet up later to hang out and shed always run to the fast food places to get burgers and French fries.
    She never did any sports, was active but not too much. Now we do yoga together but she's got to eat before and after the class.

I used to be so jealous of her. But she was jealous of my curves. We are 33 now and she still doesn't have boobs or butt, her body is very teenager like but it makes her look very young and fresh.
  • flinx1241
    flinx1241 Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I guess, if I had to "weigh in" on this topic, I'd say that I tend to believe there are some persons whose metabolism runs a bit higher than others, and others whose runs lower. Metabolisms seem to change with age, for example, so I think there's a range there. Thus, the calorie intake still plays the biggest role, but some persons might just have a bit more to play with than others do.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. I'll admit up front that I haven't spent much time researching the subject and I really don't plan on doing so.

For me, the point is - Who cares? I now know what it takes for ME to lose weight. If my neighbor has a slightly easier time through genetics or whatever, it doesn't affect me one way or the other. Good for them (and, if that's not true - well, good for them anyway. I've been wrong before and will be again). Being jealous won't burn calories for me. I just have to continue to focus on my own situation, and learn to deal with my own body and how it reacts to diet and exercise.

Just my .02 cents.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Cliff notes:

People who are "naturally" thin just eat maintenance. The conception by many is that they eat a lot, but it's obviously not more than they burn.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    There are some genetic differences in metabolism, but I also think a lot of naturally thin people either eat less than it looks like, or exercise more than you realize. So a "naturally thin" person might have four pieces of pizza at a sitting, but that's about the only thing they eat that day. Or they have four pieces of pizza, and then they commute six miles on their bicycle. It's natural to them, but if you locked them in a room and fed them a high-calorie diet they'd gain weight just like anybody else.

I've got a friend, she's 5'10 and does no exercise, apart from a bit of walking as she doesn't drive. I've never known anyone eat so much! She could easily eat an entire Dominoes large pizza on her own, and then have dessert. I used to work with her and sit with her for lunch every day. I also gave her a lift home sometimes and went in for coffee, and she always had a snack. She'd go out for a 3 course meal and then come home and have a snack. Her dad was exactly the same. She is what I'd call naturally thin and genetically blessed! She was about a UK size 8, a US 4.

She told me when she was a teenager she'd go to McDonald's and buy 2 burgers and fries and often drink a 2 litre bottle of coke. She kept a huge jar of Nutella in her room.

I think some people do have faster metabolisms, or more efficient ones.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends is naturally thin and incredible frustrated with it, because he eats SOOOO many calories and doesn't gain a thing. (He wants to gain, mostly in muscle)
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    THERE IS NO THING AS NATURALLY SKINNY. SORRY. YOUR SKINNY BECAUSE YOU EAT LESS, EXERCISE MORE. ITS SCIENCE, NOT MAGIC.
    I don't do a lot of exercise (my overall lifestyle is sedentary and I get about an hour of formal exercise a week). As I mentioned earlier, for me not to be skinny I would have to dramatically increase my calorie intake (which of course without exercise would lead to excessive body fat). I also find it interesting that you say you're not skinny at 6' 135 pounds. If you're actually 6', that is definitely considered much smaller than normal.

Then explain why there are so many people (especially men in their 20's), who can eat and eat and eat and drink beer, not exercise, and cannot gain weight. I mean this is not exactly a rare occurrence.

There are many weight gaining products. Why do you think people buy them? Because they can't gain weight just by eating.
    Good point! I had not thought about this from that aspect before.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends is naturally thin and incredible frustrated with it, because he eats SOOOO many calories and doesn't gain a thing. (He wants to gain, mostly in muscle)

Well, go to the local medical school with your friend. They will want to study him if he runs a huge calories surplus and gains no weight.

Hi Steve! :flowerforyou:
    Great post.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Well, go to the local medical school with your friend. They will want to study him if he runs a huge calories surplus and gains no weight.

Then explain why there are so many people (especially men in their 20's), who can eat and eat and eat and drink beer, not exercise, and cannot gain weight. I mean this is not exactly a rare occurrence.

There are many weight gaining products. Why do you think people buy them? Because they can't gain weight just by eating.

Here they are:

https://www.google.com/search?q=weight+on+gain+weight+supplement&oq=weight+on+gain+weight+supplement&gs_l=serp.3..0i22i30.1909.3381.0.3571.11.11.0.0.0.0.106.964.9j2.11.0....0...1c.1.51.serp..0.11.956.EXFvwLUeIuY

The existence of products for people who wish to be separated from their money proves nothing. Coincidentally, we're also chatting about diet pills on another topic
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    You wanted possible studies that there's more going on than calories consumed vs. calories used? Here you go:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/09/04/218932421/how-a-change-in-gut-microbes-can-affect-weight

It's a study on gut bacteria, which scientists have been discovering may have a pretty big impact on us. In this study, gut bacteria from human twins, where one is thin and one overweight, were collected and then transplanted into mice with no gut bacteria. The results:

"The mice that got microbes from the obese twins gained more weight and accumulated more fat than those who got microbes from the lean twin, even when the mice ate identical diets, the researchers report in a paper in the journal Science.

Next, the scientists let the animals live together. And since eating each other's feces is a common habit among mice, they were soon exposed to each other's gut microbes. After 10 days, the researchers found that the mice with the obese microbes adopted the lean microbes and started to look healthier.

And, finally, the researchers showed that the animals were unable to be colonized by the lean microbes when they were fed diets aimed at simulating a typical unhealthful Western diet high in saturated fats and low in fiber."

Admittedly, this is just preliminary research, but the original research was done on obese and thin mice and mouse gut bacteria, with the same results. I don't know if there are human trials coming, but I would assume they are thinking that way.

To my mind, this poses some interesting questions. Like, for example, could a person increasing their intake of fruits and veggies and lowering their saturated fat help make them thinner because it helps the lean microbes colonize their insides better? How much difference do the calories make compared to the gut microbes?

Interesting stuff.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options

Here they are:

https://www.google.com/search?q=weight+on+gain+weight+supplement&oq=weight+on+gain+weight+supplement&gs_l=serp.3..0i22i30.1909.3381.0.3571.11.11.0.0.0.0.106.964.9j2.11.0....0...1c.1.51.serp..0.11.956.EXFvwLUeIuY
    Because they are either matching or exceeding what they consume in calories. Math still doesn't fail here when it comes to weight gaining.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition