I know you're a tourist because ....

Options

Replies

• mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    you have no idea how to behave on the underground.

training shoes, white socks and knee-length shorts (or blue jeans in winter)

(the not jaywalking one is quite cute tho..)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    you wear your bathing suit when going shopping in town
    your trainers are bright white, half the time so are your pants, through which I can see far more than anyone ever should.
    your shoulders and back and painfully bright red
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You come in a group of at least 3. You have a backpack, preferably on your tummy. You are loud. You don't queue. You don't say sorry when you actually hit people who happen to walk too close to you. You are excited. You have a map and have to make a plan for the expedition, although you are actually on Oxford Street.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You wear white pants

You wear a hoodie with a local university logo

You wear hats inside a building (ok those last two were specifically for USA tourists)

You have no idea how to get on the bus

You don't understand what to do when going through security, thus holding the line
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I see you at all my other support groups.

marla-singer.gif
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You put soy sauce on your rice. You do not bow. You are loud and obnoxious. You pay no attention to detail.

Bowed too much. Locals giggled.

They giggle when you try to fit in.

As a tall redhead, I never once tried. It seemed futile. It was quite possible to see me a half kilometer away, even in a crowd.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you are red as a lobster in Florida.. its a sure tell tale that you aren't from here
  • Mikel423
    Mikel423 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You're wearing white tube socks in sport sandals...

You have a camera on a lanyard around your neck...

You own a fanny pack (regardless of whether you're wearing it..you actually OWN one)...

Everything everywhere is both confusing and intriguing to you...
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Your skin is scarlet and you're wearing a cervical colour because you thought you'd try surfing, forgot the sunscreen and got dumped on a sandbank

You keep checking under the toilet seat for spiders

You go for a road trip in the outback and have to be rescued because you forgot extra fuel and water

If you are German then you are probably going to die a horrible death, possibly between the teeth of a crocodile because for some reason it's always German tourists who come a cropper
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Your skin is scarlet and you're wearing a cervical colour because you thought you'd try surfing, forgot the sunscreen and got dumped on a sandbank

You go for a road trip in the outback and have to be rescued because you forgot extra fuel and water

If you are German then you are probably going to die a horrible death, possibly between the teeth of a crocodile because for some reason it's always German tourists who come a cropper

I went up north, and one of the first (and apparently dumbest) questions I asked was "why are all the warning signs in German?"
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

I went up north, and one of the first (and apparently dumbest) questions I asked was "why are all the warning signs in German?"

I really don't know why it happens to them because sometimes it's down to bad luck rather than stupidity. Poor buggers
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Saudade.

You have no understanding of this word or cannot feel it. Then you are but a tourist - it doesn't matter if you are laughing at all the guide book toting, white sock and sandal wearing, fanny packed (no giggity) foreigners asking for directions to Disney - rather than a fellow traveler.

Oh, .... And... You don't understand:
    You wake up at Seatac, SFO, LAX. You wake up at O'Hare, Dallas-Fort Worth, BWI. Pacific, mountain, central. Lose an hour, gain an hour. This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. You wake up at Air Harbor International. If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You're searching for your great-grandfather's grave (in the wrong district).

You're stopped on the bridge taking photos and grumphing when people actually try and walk past.

You're wearing a kilt that stops above the knee with no sporran. And sandals.

You pronounce the capital city 'Eeedinbowrow'

You embarrass yourself continually by trying to read the Gaelic versions of the place names (no, we don't know how to say them either).

You ask when the next tour is at the castle (which is still a functioning court and is not open to the public).

You're wearing a plastic poncho and/or a tartan rug wrapped around you. While walking on the street.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options

I really don't know why it happens to them because sometimes it's down to bad luck rather than stupidity. Poor buggers

Maybe German taste better? Just a thought.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Saudade.

You have no understanding of this word or cannot feel it. Then you are but a tourist - it doesn't matter if you are laughing at all the guide book toting, white sock and sandal wearing, fanny packed (no giggity) foreigners asking for directions to Disney - rather than a fellow traveler.

Oh, .... And... You don't understand:
    You wake up at Seatac, SFO, LAX. You wake up at O'Hare, Dallas-Fort Worth, BWI. Pacific, mountain, central. Lose an hour, gain an hour. This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. You wake up at Air Harbor International. If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

tumblr_lkotx0OJXA1qcnxvno1_500.gif
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You complain to your resort manager because there are too many Arabs staying at the resort
    You look confused when you see a woman in niqab walking arm in arm with a woman in hot pants and a tube-top.
    You feed the cats when at an outdoor restaurant.
    You close your eyes and hold your breath every time you get in a taxi.
    You insist upon having toilet paper.
  • Chalk_Slinger
    Chalk_Slinger Posts: 1,012
    Options
    You look UP!!! NO ONE looks up in NYC unless you are a tourist
  • Ranocchia
    Ranocchia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    - You walk around half naked visiting churches and you wonder why people look at you in a strange way;
    - You order cappuccino after an heavy dinner;
    - You get sunburnt after a day of city visiting, walking around with red and achy shoulders;
    - You walk with white socks in sandals
  • symplydevine
    Options
    You think it's acceptable to walk through Kmart, Walgreens, or even just down the street in bathing suits and bikinis. No...just no.

You refer to the island St. John as "St. Johns." There is no "s" on the end of it.

You ask what is the native language here. English, it's just spoken with an accent is all.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    You ask for directions to the Hockey Hall of Fame

You ask for directions to the "Space Needle Thing".

You actually think that you can get around downtown in a car.